Football Recruiting 2018

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby DfromCT » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 pm

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Darion Monroe didn't live up to his 4 star status, that's for sure.


He started literally *every* game for us for four years except one where CJ suspended him for some team rules thing. He had over 330 tackles over those four years, that is an average of 82/year from the safety position (with some cornerback). He holds the all time Tulane record for fumble recoveries. He has six INTs, and 22 TFLs (again, as a safety). He was all conference in both leagues we were in when he played, including first team once or twice.

What are you expecting from a four-star safety?

Or maybe you’re talking about a different Darion Monroe?

He was a four star guy who came in and started every game as a freshman and led the team in tackles and then started basically every game for the following three years and was at or near the top in tackles each year. I think maybe your expectations of what a four-star player is might be skewed. If we had a team full of recruits who could perform at that level immediately and lead the team for four years we would win the AAC and be in the top 25 every year.


I'll admit that I didn't realize he put up those numbers. I do remember his move to Safety, and almost a year later CJ teasing him that he didn't have an INT yet. His Bio on Tulanegreenwave.com shows zero first team All-CUSA appearances, a second team voted by "College Sports Madness" and an honorable mention, both after his Junior year. He never made the ALL-AAC team. He did make the C-USA all-Freshman team. I was at the game his Junior year (Rutgers) where he racked up his most tackles (9) and it was far from a solid performance. He got smoked twice in double coverage for Touchdowns, one was a ridiculously long pass.

What I expect from a 4 star recruit is someone that dominates at least a few of the games he plays in, not someone that compiles stats because a lot of plays got through the first line of defense (and sometimes the second as well). Someone who takes control of the games, which I never really felt he did. In fact, a two star recruit named Marley was a much better player for Tulane. So was Smart, Doss and Teamer. I didn't say he didn't contribute, as he certainly did. He was a good player, not an outstanding one. As the highest ranked recruit Tulane has had this century, yes, I would expect more.

http://tulanegreenwave.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1833

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_American_Athletic_Conference_football_season#Conference_awards


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2657
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby OUG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:16 pm

You can’t measure him relative to other Tulane players just because we aren’t used to having four star players and demand that he be so much better than anyone else on the roster (especially as a safety!) You have to measure him against four-star safeties. He is pretty much what you get from a four-star guy. Four-star guys are very good players that can start every game for you, not dominant can’t-miss NFL talents (those guys are five-stars).



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby DfromCT » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:17 pm

OUG wrote:You can’t measure him relative to other Tulane players just because we aren’t used to having four star players and demand that he be so much better than anyone else on the roster (especially as a safety!) You have to measure him against four-star safeties. He is pretty much what you get from a four-star guy. Four-star guys are very good players that can start every game for you, not dominant can’t-miss NFL talents (those guys are five-stars).


BS.

Theres about 100 5 star recruits a year, NONE, literally NONE go to G5 schools. There's another 230-250 4 star recruits every, about 10 go to G5 schools. I'm saying Darion Monroe played much closer to a 3 star than a 4 star. We can agree to disagree. And playing safety is a position, especially on a team like Tulane, where you can wrack up stats because your teammates are getting blown off the ball. He was a good solid player. But in my opinion far from the standout he was hyped to be as a 4 star recruit.

Would you NOT expect Tulane's highest ranked recruit of this century to outperform most of his teammates?He didn't. And it has nothing to do whatsoever with how many other 4 star recruits we got. It has to do with the fact that he should have been a 3 star recruit, and would probably have been so had he committed to Tulane and never gave TX A&M the verbal that they didn't honor.

And, since you're all over my sh!t in another thread about backing assertions with fact, when did he EVER earn first team all conference? First team all Freshman I see, but he never made anything other than honorable mention in the C-USA (except for one website most have never heard of) and didn't appear on the all AAC team his one year playing in the AAC. This ties to both of your posts attacking my assertion that he never lived up to the 4 star ranking. You said he was all conference multiple times (fiction) and first team at least once or twice (fiction). That's not only comparing him to his Tulane peers, but his conference peers at his position.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

puffy
Surge
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 am
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby puffy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Ed Oliver of UH is the exception to the 5*-G5 rule. He was a consensus 5* recruit in 2016.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ed-Oliver-30459

Monroe had a composite 247 score of 3*, although his numeral score was on the higher end of the 3* range.

https://247sports.com/player/darion-monroe-7537



Ruski
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Online

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Ruski » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:40 am

After 247 takes off Shegog, our lowest rated player is Simi Bakare. Article out today saying Mizzou is looking at him, official visit in store:

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/high- ... On41KiPiI/

I'll admit that I've been very critical of Fritz' recruiting abilities but the incoming class has only 6/16 two star players and the lowest ranked one is even getting SEC attention. We might be in for a real treat!



anEngineer
High Tide
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby anEngineer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Ruski wrote:After 247 takes off Shegog, our lowest rated player is Simi Bakare. Article out today saying Mizzou is looking at him, official visit in store:

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/high- ... On41KiPiI/

I'll admit that I've been very critical of Fritz' recruiting abilities but the incoming class has only 6/16 two star players and the lowest ranked one is even getting SEC attention. We might be in for a real treat!



If Bakare switches to Mizzou, he instantly goes from 2-star to 3-star. The real truth is that there are about 20 elite players, about 200 outstanding players and about 1500-2000 players that are essentially the same. This star system for high school players is highly subjective and can't accurately account for the vast differences in high school programs around the country. If Tulane gets 15-20 solid players every year, a good coaching staff should be able to make them competitive in the AAC and get frequent bowl visits.



User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby wave97 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

anEngineer wrote:
Ruski wrote:After 247 takes off Shegog, our lowest rated player is Simi Bakare. Article out today saying Mizzou is looking at him, official visit in store:

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/high- ... On41KiPiI/

I'll admit that I've been very critical of Fritz' recruiting abilities but the incoming class has only 6/16 two star players and the lowest ranked one is even getting SEC attention. We might be in for a real treat!



If Bakare switches to Mizzou, he instantly goes from 2-star to 3-star. The real truth is that there are about 20 elite players, about 200 outstanding players and about 1500-2000 players that are essentially the same. This star system for high school players is highly subjective and can't accurately account for the vast differences in high school programs around the country. If Tulane gets 15-20 solid players every year, a good coaching staff should be able to make them competitive in the AAC and get frequent bowl visits.

+1



Bearwave
Low Tide
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Bearwave » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:55 am

RobertM320 wrote:It seems for the last several years now, a number of Louisiana recruits have chosen to go to Kansas instead of staying home. Doesn't look like they're producing much in the way of results.



This local guy is a Kansas commit but word is he isn’t going there. LSU has offered

http://riverparishfootball.com/news/two ... nship-game


Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em

Ruski
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Online

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Ruski » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:18 pm



Damien Tate is the best high school football player in the Greater New Orleans area. His upside as a prospect will be lessened a bit, due to his lack of ideal measurables, but he is one of those guys that plays bigger and faster than he first registers when his talents are assessed. Tate's game is predicated on instincts, toughness, leadership, a great feel for the game and athleticism. A lot of what he brings to the table cannot be measured, hence the under recruitment for his talents.

Tate may be best served as a safety that can slide to the nickel spot at the next level. His best asset is his feel for the game, which would be best utilized in those roles. He has great quickness and technique, when he decides to apply it, that allows him to transition quickly, maintain good body control and get clean breaks on the ball.

There is a certain toughness about Tate, both mental and physical, that should allow him to endure the challenges that moving up to the next level entails. He is a good open field tackler, that is not afraid to lower his shoulder in run support or against tight ends.

Tate excels in zone coverage, where he can use his eyes and understanding of route combinations to his advantage, but he also possesses the skills to be an effective cover corner in man coverage. As stated, he does not always resort to using his technique, but he has become more disciplined and controlled throughout his development over the last three years.


http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2017/09/warren_easton_db_damien_tate_i.html



User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2557
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Show Me » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:08 am

Ruski wrote:

Damien Tate is the best high school football player in the Greater New Orleans area. His upside as a prospect will be lessened a bit, due to his lack of ideal measurables, but he is one of those guys that plays bigger and faster than he first registers when his talents are assessed. Tate's game is predicated on instincts, toughness, leadership, a great feel for the game and athleticism. A lot of what he brings to the table cannot be measured, hence the under recruitment for his talents.

Tate may be best served as a safety that can slide to the nickel spot at the next level. His best asset is his feel for the game, which would be best utilized in those roles. He has great quickness and technique, when he decides to apply it, that allows him to transition quickly, maintain good body control and get clean breaks on the ball.

There is a certain toughness about Tate, both mental and physical, that should allow him to endure the challenges that moving up to the next level entails. He is a good open field tackler, that is not afraid to lower his shoulder in run support or against tight ends.

Tate excels in zone coverage, where he can use his eyes and understanding of route combinations to his advantage, but he also possesses the skills to be an effective cover corner in man coverage. As stated, he does not always resort to using his technique, but he has become more disciplined and controlled throughout his development over the last three years.


http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2017/09/warren_easton_db_damien_tate_i.html

Pooka Williams at Hahnville is the best player in the GNOA.



Bearwave
Low Tide
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Bearwave » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 am

Show Me wrote:
Ruski wrote:

Damien Tate is the best high school football player in the Greater New Orleans area. His upside as a prospect will be lessened a bit, due to his lack of ideal measurables, but he is one of those guys that plays bigger and faster than he first registers when his talents are assessed. Tate's game is predicated on instincts, toughness, leadership, a great feel for the game and athleticism. A lot of what he brings to the table cannot be measured, hence the under recruitment for his talents.

Tate may be best served as a safety that can slide to the nickel spot at the next level. His best asset is his feel for the game, which would be best utilized in those roles. He has great quickness and technique, when he decides to apply it, that allows him to transition quickly, maintain good body control and get clean breaks on the ball.

There is a certain toughness about Tate, both mental and physical, that should allow him to endure the challenges that moving up to the next level entails. He is a good open field tackler, that is not afraid to lower his shoulder in run support or against tight ends.

Tate excels in zone coverage, where he can use his eyes and understanding of route combinations to his advantage, but he also possesses the skills to be an effective cover corner in man coverage. As stated, he does not always resort to using his technique, but he has become more disciplined and controlled throughout his development over the last three years.


http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2017/09/warren_easton_db_damien_tate_i.html

Pooka Williams at Hahnville is the best player in the STATE.


FIFY- 1200 yards rushing in 4 5A playoff games when everyone knows he's getting the ball is beyond belief. He has carried Hahnville to the finals on his back. You have to see him in person to appreciate just how quick, elusive, and powerful he runs.


Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em

Ruski
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Online

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Ruski » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 am

Bearwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Ruski wrote:

Damien Tate is the best high school football player in the Greater New Orleans area. His upside as a prospect will be lessened a bit, due to his lack of ideal measurables, but he is one of those guys that plays bigger and faster than he first registers when his talents are assessed. Tate's game is predicated on instincts, toughness, leadership, a great feel for the game and athleticism. A lot of what he brings to the table cannot be measured, hence the under recruitment for his talents.

Tate may be best served as a safety that can slide to the nickel spot at the next level. His best asset is his feel for the game, which would be best utilized in those roles. He has great quickness and technique, when he decides to apply it, that allows him to transition quickly, maintain good body control and get clean breaks on the ball.

There is a certain toughness about Tate, both mental and physical, that should allow him to endure the challenges that moving up to the next level entails. He is a good open field tackler, that is not afraid to lower his shoulder in run support or against tight ends.

Tate excels in zone coverage, where he can use his eyes and understanding of route combinations to his advantage, but he also possesses the skills to be an effective cover corner in man coverage. As stated, he does not always resort to using his technique, but he has become more disciplined and controlled throughout his development over the last three years.


http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2017/09/warren_easton_db_damien_tate_i.html

Pooka Williams at Hahnville is the best player in the STATE.


FIFY- 1200 yards rushing in 4 5A playoff games when everyone knows he's getting the ball is beyond belief. He has carried Hahnville to the finals on his back. You have to see him in person to appreciate just how quick, elusive, and powerful he runs.


Agree with you both. Just quoting the article... it is from September.



User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1453
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Online

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby GreenLantern » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:34 pm

This kid has committed to Nebraska. I wonder if our offer is just a shot-in-the-dark offer or if there is more to this story. In any case, this would seem to solve our place kicking problems.




User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1207
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby wave97 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 am

Who's the kid from Hahnville?



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby DfromCT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:19 am

wave97 wrote:Who's the kid from Hahnville?


Scroll up two posts, it takes up most of the half dozen posts above your post!

Pooka Williams


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Ruski
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Online

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Ruski » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Had a slew of 3 star offers go out recently:








DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby DfromCT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Some of these offers need to be clarified: Is ASU Arizona State or Appalachian State, for example. Memphis State or Michigan State? There's obviously huge differences among schools sharing the same initials ("TU" for example!)


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Ruski
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Online

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Ruski » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:08 pm

DfromCT wrote:Some of these offers need to be clarified: Is ASU Arizona State or Appalachian State, for example. Memphis State or Michigan State? There's obviously huge differences among schools sharing the same initials ("TU" for example!)


Benn lists an offer from Arizona. Arizona State on his 247 page but doesn't list an offer.

Camel lists Arkansas, Duke, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Mizzou, Ole Miss. He could easily be a 4star.



Ruski
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Online

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Ruski » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Ruski wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Interesting that we made this guy's Top 10. Only G5 school in the mix, and he's in Georgia.




We're in the mix on a couple others similar to this:








Interesting to look back in this thread and find this post.

Zakoby McClain a 4 star LB committed to Auburn.
Charles McClelland a medium 3 star RB committed to Cincy.
Lichon Terrell a medium/low 3 star DT committed to Western Kentucky.
Dequan Jackson a medium 3 star LB choosing between USF, Memphis, and Colorado State.

You think there's a correlation between stars and the school they commit to? haha



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6215
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby RobertM320 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Of course there is. That's why there's only one 4 star in the entire country committed to anything other than a P5, and thats a local kid from Cincinnati that's committed to UC.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6215
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby RobertM320 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:55 pm

https://247sports.com/college/tulane/Se ... all/Offers

If anyone takes the time to look at the offers we actually have out, the breakdown by position is pretty interesting.

9 QB
27 RBs
54 WR
17 TE
41 total OL (OT/OG/C)
41 DE
28 DT
30 LB
41 CB
38 S
35 Athlete
1 K


Is the number of CBs and Ss and the low number of LB because they expect some DBs or DL to end up eventually as LBs? And a ton of WR.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

Ruski
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Online

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby Ruski » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:37 pm

RobertM320 wrote:https://247sports.com/college/tulane/Season/2018-Football/Offers

If anyone takes the time to look at the offers we actually have out, the breakdown by position is pretty interesting.

9 QB
27 RBs
54 WR
17 TE
41 total OL (OT/OG/C)
41 DE
28 DT
30 LB
41 CB
38 S
35 Athlete
1 K


Is the number of CBs and Ss and the low number of LB because they expect some DBs or DL to end up eventually as LBs? And a ton of WR.


Man I hope we get that 1 K from Hoover.



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby DfromCT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm

RobertM320 wrote:https://247sports.com/college/tulane/Season/2018-Football/Offers

If anyone takes the time to look at the offers we actually have out, the breakdown by position is pretty interesting.

9 QB
27 RBs
54 WR
17 TE
41 total OL (OT/OG/C)
41 DE
28 DT
30 LB
41 CB
38 S
35 Athlete
1 K


Is the number of CBs and Ss and the low number of LB because they expect some DBs or DL to end up eventually as LBs? And a ton of WR.


I would imagine that the lion's share of these offers are for next years recruiting class and beyond. Offers get pulled as commitments (verbal and written) are made. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff knows a lot of the offers, particularly to the WRs, are not going to be accepted. 300+ offers is a lot to manage, our coaches are certainly pounding the pavement.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6215
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby RobertM320 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm

No, you have it wrong. Thats for CLASS OF 2018. There's a separate list for offers for 2019 and 2020 players. Go to the link and change the year from 2018 to 2019 and you'll see. Thats 350+ offers just for 2018. Those include the current committed players of course.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5374
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Football Recruiting 2018

Postby DfromCT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 pm

You are right 320. At the same time, I'd like to know how many of those offers are still outstanding? Obviously, we cannot honor that many offers, and this may be everyone we offered from this class. Clearly the vast majority have verbal commitments, but my guess is the staff manages how many offers are still on the table so they don't get into a situation where they get too many commitments that they cannot honor them all. If we have 25 or so schollies available, and 16 committed, we only have 9 left. And I'm sure a whole lot of those uncommitted have been told they'd only get preferred walk on status, effectively ending their recruitment.

That's one problem with the recruiting tracking services. They help coaches target players and give us some insight, but don't have the manpower to manage a few thousand recruits up to date status. My guess is we have less than 50 players, and maybe even less than 25 that we're actively recruiting to fill the last 9 slots (or whatever the number of slots available is).


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: galvezwave, Google Adsense [Bot], GreenLantern, tpstulane and 14 guests