Football Recruiting 2018

Talk about the latest recruits here.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12303
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Ruski wrote:
Tulane Head Coach Willie Fritz has a long history of turning around moribund programs, and he seems well on his way to rebuilding the Green Wave with the 2018 recruiting class. The Wave signed 22 players during the early signing period and augmented those numbers with three more players on February 7th. The class was unprecedented in quality as three Green Wave signees garnered a 4-star rating from major recruiting services: Safety Dorian Camel, Defensive Tackle Alfred Thomas and Defensive Tackle Jeffery Johnson. 21 of the 25 Tulane signees were rated three star or higher.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/america ... ight-joyce
Thanks for posting that. It's written by a former Tulane player who stays in touch with the program and post regularly on our Rivals site.


Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 pm

this from 247....jut scroll down and look at the number of recruits Army and Navy have coming in...The NCAA has to step in and stop this krap ASAP

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018 ... s/football
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1290
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 pm

golfnut69 wrote:this from 247....jut scroll down and look at the number of recruits Army and Navy have coming in...The NCAA has to step in and stop this krap ASAP

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018 ... s/football
The vast majority of these "recruits" are sh*tbirds but smart sh*tbirds with a long-term view towards their future. Once accepted, (largely on the basis of their football acumen) these young men will participate in a military education that is not contingent on participation in the program. They'll receive payment while pursuing a fantastic education and maybe someday become great leaders of men. I'm ok with it.
I live in a town that hosts the Naval Academy Prep School. The football players at NAPS are generally good kids who are not burdened with dreams of NFL stardom. You'll see them walking together in town and when I get the chance to speak with them I always end the conversation with "to Hell with football, get your education young men".
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm

wave97 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:this from 247....jut scroll down and look at the number of recruits Army and Navy have coming in...The NCAA has to step in and stop this krap ASAP

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018 ... s/football
The vast majority of these "recruits" are sh*tbirds but smart sh*tbirds with a long-term view towards their future. Once accepted, (largely on the basis of their football acumen) these young men will participate in a military education that is not contingent on participation in the program. They'll receive payment while pursuing a fantastic education and maybe someday become great leaders of men. I'm ok with it.
I live in a town that hosts the Naval Academy Prep School. The football players at NAPS are generally good kids who are not burdened with dreams of NFL stardom. You'll see them walking together in town and when I get the chance to speak with them I always end the conversation with "to Hell with football, get your education young men".
I come form a Military family...My dad (WO4) put in 32 years, WW2..Korea and the beginning of Viet Nam...My Brother (1 Star) put in 33 years and I am a Gold Star Sibling, so i am not against the Military...but over 100 recruits per year and everyone else is at 20 to 25, something does not seem right...Navy is the west division because of the state of Texas and the number of kids that can be appointed from here and for that reason only....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12303
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:27 am

You're right golf. The conference wanted Navy and they insisted on being in the west division b/c of their desire to recruit Texas.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1290
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:19 am

Naps and this little organization are the queen bees of their athletic relevance:
The Naval Academy Athletic Association (NAAA) is a non-profit 501 c 3 and all dollars are invested into the challenge of operating 33 Intercollegiate Sports for 4,400 Midshipmen.
It operates as an independent arm of Navy Athletics that shakes down defense contractors far and wide to support Navy Athletics.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/spor ... tball.html
The vast majority of "recruits" are done with football after their first summer camp, the numbers even out in the end but the "recruits" who opt out are not forced to relinquish their status at the Naval Academy. Mission accomplished!
tufinal4
Ripple
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:41 am

Come on folks, I want Navy football to do great and so do you. Go Navy, beat Army!
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:26 am

tufinal4 wrote:Come on folks, I want Navy football to do great and so do you. Go Navy, beat Army!
I want all of the conference teams to be competitive...but over 100 recruits per year, I bet Fritz would love to have that "problem" no matter the number of "stars" each player may have...back in the day, Ellender brought in massive classes..I think the SEC lobbied the NCAA to put a limit nationally on the number of players that could be signed each year, of course Tulane beating LSU and Georgia may have ignited their cause...I think the SEC already had a "limit" but 'independents" could sign as many as they could afford ...I think this went down about 1974 or '75...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
McWave
Low Tide
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:45 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 am

I believe Tulane (and anyone else for that matter) can have as many "recruits" as they want. But only 25/yr. can be on scholarship. I assume the 75 additional Academy "recruits" are not on an athletic scholarship. I believe the Academics do not have tuition but stipends are paid (to all students). How about we spend more time lowering Tulane's tuition through an increased endowment and we can have more walk-ons.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1706
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 am

McWave wrote:I believe Tulane (and anyone else for that matter) can have as many "recruits" as they want. But only 25/yr. can be on scholarship. I assume the 75 additional Academy "recruits" are not on an athletic scholarship. I believe the Academics do not have tuition but stipends are paid (to all students). How about we spend more time lowering Tulane's tuition through an increased endowment and we can have more walk-ons.
Tulane isn't going to lower its' tuition for a wide variety of reasons, but what it can do is guarantee to meet 100% of need for all students. That would be huge for both academics and athletics. However, at the moment, it's around $2B away from seriously pursuing that goal.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 am

McWave wrote:I believe Tulane (and anyone else for that matter) can have as many "recruits" as they want. But only 25/yr. can be on scholarship. I assume the 75 additional Academy "recruits" are not on an athletic scholarship. I believe the Academics do not have tuition but stipends are paid (to all students). How about we spend more time lowering Tulane's tuition through an increased endowment and we can have more walk-ons.
I may be incorrect, but the "academies" do not have "Athletic Grant in Aids' they have "appointments' some have to do with Athletics, since all 'appointments" are the same, they have zero limit on how many potential "appointees" may play a certain sport...thus the 100 plus potential players for football...the number of "appointments" is governed by a states population, the more federally elected officials, the more "appointments" available...thus Nave insisting on being in the western part of the AAC, the state with the most appointments of which is in the conference
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
McWave wrote:I believe Tulane (and anyone else for that matter) can have as many "recruits" as they want. But only 25/yr. can be on scholarship. I assume the 75 additional Academy "recruits" are not on an athletic scholarship. I believe the Academics do not have tuition but stipends are paid (to all students). How about we spend more time lowering Tulane's tuition through an increased endowment and we can have more walk-ons.
I may be incorrect, but the "academies" do not have "Athletic Grant in Aids' they have "appointments' some have to do with Athletics, since all 'appointments" are the same, they have zero limit on how many potential "appointees" may play a certain sport...thus the 100 plus potential players for football...the number of "appointments" is governed by a states population, the more federally elected officials, the more "appointments" available...thus Nave insisting on being in the western part of the AAC, the state with the most appointments of which is in the conference
Isn't tuition free at the service academies once you get in?
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:49 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
McWave wrote:I believe Tulane (and anyone else for that matter) can have as many "recruits" as they want. But only 25/yr. can be on scholarship. I assume the 75 additional Academy "recruits" are not on an athletic scholarship. I believe the Academics do not have tuition but stipends are paid (to all students). How about we spend more time lowering Tulane's tuition through an increased endowment and we can have more walk-ons.
I may be incorrect, but the "academies" do not have "Athletic Grant in Aids' they have "appointments' some have to do with Athletics, since all 'appointments" are the same, they have zero limit on how many potential "appointees" may play a certain sport...thus the 100 plus potential players for football...the number of "appointments" is governed by a states population, the more federally elected officials, the more "appointments" available...thus Nave insisting on being in the western part of the AAC, the state with the most appointments of which is in the conference
Isn't tuition free at the service academies once you get in?
WTF do U mean "free"...what the hell do you think part of your income tax helps pays for...free, what a joke....please tell me what Company or Service the US Government produces, or provides, that makes a profit to pay for these tuition's.... I can't wait to find out the answer !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
McWave wrote:I believe Tulane (and anyone else for that matter) can have as many "recruits" as they want. But only 25/yr. can be on scholarship. I assume the 75 additional Academy "recruits" are not on an athletic scholarship. I believe the Academics do not have tuition but stipends are paid (to all students). How about we spend more time lowering Tulane's tuition through an increased endowment and we can have more walk-ons.
I may be incorrect, but the "academies" do not have "Athletic Grant in Aids' they have "appointments' some have to do with Athletics, since all 'appointments" are the same, they have zero limit on how many potential "appointees" may play a certain sport...thus the 100 plus potential players for football...the number of "appointments" is governed by a states population, the more federally elected officials, the more "appointments" available...thus Nave insisting on being in the western part of the AAC, the state with the most appointments of which is in the conference
Isn't tuition free at the service academies once you get in?
WTF do U mean "free"...what the hell do you think part of your income tax helps pays for...free, what a joke....please tell me what Company or Service the US Government produces, or provides, that makes a profit to pay for these tuition's.... I can't wait to find out the answer !!!!
We must be getting close to tax day... and what government agency could make a profit? Federal Reserve :lol: what I meant by free as in free to the students/families in the sense that they don't have to pay anything cause we the tax payers have it covered.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:38 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
McWave wrote:I believe Tulane (and anyone else for that matter) can have as many "recruits" as they want. But only 25/yr. can be on scholarship. I assume the 75 additional Academy "recruits" are not on an athletic scholarship. I believe the Academics do not have tuition but stipends are paid (to all students). How about we spend more time lowering Tulane's tuition through an increased endowment and we can have more walk-ons.
I may be incorrect, but the "academies" do not have "Athletic Grant in Aids' they have "appointments' some have to do with Athletics, since all 'appointments" are the same, they have zero limit on how many potential "appointees" may play a certain sport...thus the 100 plus potential players for football...the number of "appointments" is governed by a states population, the more federally elected officials, the more "appointments" available...thus Nave insisting on being in the western part of the AAC, the state with the most appointments of which is in the conference
Isn't tuition free at the service academies once you get in?
WTF do U mean "free"...what the hell do you think part of your income tax helps pays for...free, what a joke....please tell me what Company or Service the US Government produces, or provides, that makes a profit to pay for these tuition's.... I can't wait to find out the answer !!!!
We must be getting close to tax day... and what government agency could make a profit? Federal Reserve :lol: what I meant by free as in free to the students/families in the sense that they don't have to pay anything cause we the tax payers have it covered.
unfortunately there are too many in this country who think all of the "national social programs" are paid for by the fed's, not knowing their money is being stolen from them in taxation so the feds can have the money to pay for other peoples problems, kids or social anxiety
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:57 pm

a last minute preferred walk on ?

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4254807/John-Sakos
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12303
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 pm

golfnut69 wrote:a last minute preferred walk on ?

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4254807/John-Sakos
Thanks for the heads up.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:24 am

golfnut69 wrote:a last minute preferred walk on ?

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4254807/John-Sakos

I would have to call ANY walk "preferred"! :) ;)
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1290
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:33 am

I have been told that we can look forward to a Naval Academy Prep recruit showing up on Willow St. this Summer. Wasn't told position or name.
alex59
Trickle
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 am
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:36 am

I am waiting for Next ISL League 2018-18 and hope that Bengaluru will be achieve 1st rank again on ISL Points Table and will win one more ISL Trophy.
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 789
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 pm

I hope Fritz at least makes contact. I'm sure he's looking to play 2/2 of his remaining years. But it's to conceive an injury to Banks in this offense.

Arizona State quarterback Blake Barnett is transferring from the program, a source confirmed to ESPN on Wednesday. Barnett will be a grad transfer and will have two more seasons of eligibility to finish his career.

According to a source, Barnett will visit USF this weekend and is still gauging interest from other programs.


Initially a five-star prospect out of high school in the 2015 class, ranked No. 14 overall, Barnett committed to Notre Dame, decommitted and eventually signed with Alabama. Barnett transferred from Alabama in 2016 after quarterback Jalen Hurts took over as starter for the Tide.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ansferring
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 am

Mr Banks has been playing steadily for years while Mr Barnett has not really played any meaningful time in three years ! There is no reason to pursue Mr Barnett .
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:38 am

nawlinspete wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 am
Mr Banks has been playing steadily for years while Mr Barnett has not really played any meaningful time in three years ! There is no reason to pursue Mr Barnett .
Perhaps the fact that we don't have much depth at QB AND the fact that our QB's have gotten the snot knocked out of them for the past 5-6 years (and missed starts) is a good reason to consider a quality QB. That being said, I don't know if we can add a scholarship player due to the size of our class this year, nor do I know if the kid wants to play in Fritz's system.

Banks has played one year at the D1 level, and showed a lot of progress through his first year as a starter. He'll be done this year, and after watching the Spring game, I'm concerned about life without Banks whether that happens this year or next.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Post Reply