Ryan Guthrie commits

Talk about the latest recruits here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JUCO LB:

https://twitter.com/JuCoFootballACE/sta ... 2555621376

Another position of need being addressed w/immediate help.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

We need juco offensive lineman.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:We need juco offensive lineman.
have patience....all will become clear in a few weeks....JUCO "O" lineman are a premium and targeted by many PEE 5 schools...they listen to all offers....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:We need juco offensive lineman.
We do and we have one already in Dominique Briggs as per 247 sports and Rivals. However as much is that is the most glaring need it is not the only one. We need LB's and this is a start. Also important is that we are getting multiple JUCO's. So it's Thanksgiving week so be thankful for small favors. :mrgreen:
Last edited by winwave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ryan Guthrie is an all-american JuCo LB, not just a hack. This should be really helpful.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

Great news! Hopeful Marley's absence will be forgotten.
wave97
Swell

Ruski wrote:Great news! Hopeful Marley's absence will be forgotten.
Tanzel's absence will not be forgotten. This kid will have large quantities of mucous involuntarily escaping his nasal and chest cavities if things aren't made right up front.
Ruski
Swell

wave97 wrote:
Tanzel's absence will not be forgotten. This kid will have large quantities of mucous involuntarily escaping his nasal and chest cavities if things aren't made right up front.
Tyrell Thompson, 6-3, 300lb DT outta Blinn could help fill that void in a big way.
wave97
Swell

Ruski wrote:
wave97 wrote:
Tyrell Thompson, 6-3, 300lb DT outta Blinn could help fill that void in a big way.
Just watched his Hudl reel, he's a player. I hope he qualifies academically. I know we were young & injured last season, but our DB's played scared.
Ruski
Swell

wave97 wrote:
Ruski wrote:
wave97 wrote:
Just watched his Hudl reel, he's a player. I hope he qualifies academically. I know we were young & injured last season, but our DB's played scared.
I just looked him up again. Something seems strange, or maybe just technical glitches. But anyway, he transferred to Trinity Valley C.C. from Blinn this year. He at one time had offers from Houston, Colorado, OKST, and CSU. But now his 24/7 page shows no offers. Seems he decommitted from Houston at some point (had signed a LOI). I was thumbing through his Twitter to see if I could find if he decommitted because Herman left, seems it happened before that.

I did find something interesting though. Last week Urban Meyer was at Blinn talking to kids. REALLY, REALLY hope Fritz has been working behind the scenes for awhile there. It's seems like he'd have a big leg up in this one spot.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Guess this isn't too bad. Ryan Guthrie got half as many TFL's THIS season as Nico Marley got in his CAREER.
https://twitter.com/JuCoFootballACE/sta ... 8830626816
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Guess this isn't too bad. Ryan Guthrie got half as many TFL's THIS season as Nico Marley got in his CAREER.
https://twitter.com/JuCoFootballACE/sta ... 8830626816
Stats at JUCO are like stats for an aspiring NFL player from the CFL: Meaningless.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Stats at JUCO are like stats for an aspiring NFL player from the CFL: Meaningless.
That is true to a certain extent and that's why I've haven't been too optimistic on Guthrie or QB Banks (who is officially a 2* player now according to 247). They will both be helpful, but it's unclear just how good they will be.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Stats at JUCO are like stats for an aspiring NFL player from the CFL: Meaningless.
That is true to a certain extent and that's why I've haven't been too optimistic on Guthrie or QB Banks (who is officially a 2* player now according to 247). They will both be helpful, but it's unclear just how good they will be.
Yes, BUT, the competition they face at JUCO level is greater than anything they faced in high school. Plus, you no longer have the outlier high school recruits who outgrew their competition during middle school and has been dominating just because of their size. I'm not sold on Banks being the answer either, but he sure does look a hell of a lot better than what we had at qb 1 this year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Yes, BUT, the competition they face at JUCO level is greater than anything they faced in high school. Plus, you no longer have the outlier high school recruits who outgrew their competition during middle school and has been dominating just because of their size. I'm not sold on Banks being the answer either, but he sure does look a hell of a lot better than what we had at qb 1 this year.
And the competition is a whole lot worse than what they'll face at a D1, FCS (D1a) and probably D2 or D3 school. There's a very high percentage of JUCO players that play their final games at JUCO and never get into an NCAA program.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
And the competition is a whole lot worse than what they'll face at a D1, FCS (D1a) and probably D2 or D3 school. There's a very high percentage of JUCO players that play their final games at JUCO and never get into an NCAA program.
I think it ultimately depends on what JUCO school you go to. If you have a Netflix account, I highly recommend the documentary called LAST CHANCE U. Plus, you never know, you might find a diamond in the rough in JUCO schools, like Cam Newton...

On a serious note D, do you think Mr. Banks is an upgrade at qb especially after watching one full season with GC?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: On a serious note D, do you think Mr. Banks is an upgrade at qb especially after watching one full season with GC?
Absolutely!

I would hope that Brantley gets coached up on his passing game as well. And the other QB recruit in the class, Dane Ledford, from Argyle TX looks like he can throw and run pretty well, too. He's listed as a Pro Style QB, but he played and did very well in an offense that's closer to Fritz's offense than a Pro Set.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4118429/dane-ledford
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote: On a serious note D, do you think Mr. Banks is an upgrade at qb especially after watching one full season with GC?
Absolutely!

I would hope that Brantley gets coached up on his passing game as well. And the other QB recruit in the class, Dane Ledford, from Argyle TX looks like he can throw and run pretty well, too. He's listed as a Pro Style QB, but he played and did very well in an offense that's closer to Fritz's offense than a Pro Set.

Ledford is most likely to come here to play safety. That's been discussed in several threads.
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Absolutely!

Ledford is most likely to come here to play safety. That's been discussed in several threads.[/quote

I hope they give him some reps at QB.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Saying elsewhere that he's visiting Syracuse this weekend.
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote:Saying elsewhere that he's visiting Syracuse this weekend.
Ledford?
3"+ of lake effect snow, winds 16-23mph, low temps mid 20's. Did I mention the sun sets at 4:00 pm.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:
Ledford?
3"+ of lake effect snow, winds 16-23mph, low temps mid 20's. Did I mention the sun sets at 4:00 pm.
Guthrie.
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:
Ledford?
Guthrie.
Shit. Shit. Shit. If you're gonna go JUCO you gotta get the best. I will be very upset if we lose him. With him I could see our D being every bit as good as last year. Without him or someone to step into the Tanzel spot immediately, we will drop off significantly.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm not going to compare anyone to Tanzel. I will say though that Eldrick Washington improved noticeably as the season went on. He copied Tanzel's knack of running plays down from behind. Tanzel set an excellent example for him. Like you I certainly don't want to lose Guthrie.
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote:I'm not going to compare anyone to Tanzel. I will say though that Eldrick Washington improved noticeably as the season went on. He copied Tanzel's knack of running plays down from behind. Tanzel set an excellent example for him. Like you I certainly don't want to lose Guthrie.
Right. I could see Gutherie being as good as Marley or at least within a shout. It's going to be very hard for someone to be that close to Smart. With mostly everyone else back/improving we can afford a big drop off at one position but a big drop off at both will be very hard to mask.