Talk about the latest recruits here.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:https://twitter.com/avery_jenkins58/sta ... 8712573953
Committed last night
He was not on the visit list
another walk on ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... C_ee9Nep3w

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I agree with you, winwave.

I was referring to Aberzombie's comment
If LSU and other programs can find a way to help athletes that can barely read graduate -and- be major impact on the field, why can't Tulane?
Got you. Comments like that are baseless and a part of the problem. It's an attempt to deflect from the real problems that Tulane athletics has. Their players give just as good of interviews as ours. Shaq , Booger and Ryan Clark all appear on national shows. The problem at Tulane is no longer academic related. It's a fall back excuse. The losing and lack of facilities are the problems.
It's not baseless. Posters in this very thread (including one that I quoted) indicated that academics may be an issue with taking Louisiana recruits and I indicated that should not be the case if those recruits don't have the same issues with other FBS programs. Blaming the academic acumen of the recruits -is- an excuse because Tulane shouldn't have difficulty above and beyond other FBS programs when it comes to recruiting and graduating those recruits because if Tulane does have additional issues, it's not serious about fielding a competitive program.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Sorry, I disagree. I don't want my Tulane degree devalued by having people who can barely read get a Tulane degree. LSU and other programs have P5 resources to start with, and a much lower standard of expectations academically. We either find a way to win while maintaining our quality education, or we don't win. But we don't compromise the education. If Stanford, Northwestern and others can do it, so can we. Its just going to be harder because we're not a P5.
I wouldn't want the Tulane degree watered down either, but Tulane can't have it both ways for football. This issue circles back to whether Tulane cares about winning at the FBS level.

There is a reason that the Ivy League, UChicago, WashingtonU, and a series of other high profile private universities do not compete at the highest college football level - academics must be compromised to a certain extent in order to field a competitive football program in the modern era unless you're Stanford, Army, Navy and Air Force but they are extreme outliers. Stanford is, well, Stanford and the service academies require subsequent military service as a condition for entry (not to mention good academics).
Jaxwave
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:

If LSU and other programs can find a way to help athletes that can barely read graduate -and- be major impact on the field, why can't Tulane?
Got you. Comments like that are baseless and a part of the problem. It's an attempt to deflect from the real problems that Tulane athletics has. Their players give just as good of interviews as ours. Shaq , Booger and Ryan Clark all appear on national shows. The problem at Tulane is no longer academic related. It's a fall back excuse. The losing and lack of facilities are the problems.
It's not baseless. Posters in this very thread (including one that I quoted) indicated that academics may be an issue with taking Louisiana recruits and I indicated that should not be the case if those recruits don't have the same issues with other FBS programs. Blaming the academic acumen of the recruits -is- an excuse because Tulane shouldn't have difficulty above and beyond other FBS programs when it comes to recruiting and graduating those recruits because if Tulane does have additional issues, it's not serious about fielding a competitive program.
The last sentence sums up the Tulane football
program for the last 4 decades.
RobertM320
Green Wave

My guess is he's another preferred walkon. Obviously there's a max # of scholarships we'll offer this year, but Fritz also needs to get the numbers up so he can run proper practices. At least it looks like he has a plan, unlike some previous coaches.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:

It was baseless. LSU doesn't have players that can barely read. People need to get over that nonsense. Tulane has made academic concessions for athletes and they have been in place for over 5 years now.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:

It was baseless. LSU doesn't have players that can barely read. People need to get over that nonsense. Tulane has made academic concessions for athletes and they have been in place for over 5 years now.
If you're saying that Tulane shouldn't have any academic excuses for not taking/graduating recruits from Louisiana or anywhere else, we're on the same page.
Jaxwave
Swell

If we are at the point where we are now taking recruits just to get our numbers up to be able to practice, I am all for dropping football and moving on. Not saying I agree with that assessment, but my gosh, how bad can it get!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:

.......and the results have been?
chain gang x man
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:https://twitter.com/avery_jenkins58/sta ... 8712573953
Committed last night
He was not on the visit list
another walk on ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... C_ee9Nep3w
Two way player from Country Day
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:

.......and the results have been?
The results have remained abysmal due to the rep and the lack of facilities. The point is the obstacles presented by academic issues has been addressed. It is those other issues that are holding us back.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

We just got three JUCO players into school and another one flipped to Syracuse at the last minute. CJ got any New Orlenas kid he wanted into school. Tulane's lack of success and below standard facilities are a problem. Fritz doesn't have the connections to recruit locally. I hope Dannen has much bigger plans for the facilities than sticking a giant Angry Wave on top of the scoreboard with a water feature. We will have start winning first and show a commitment to improving the facilities before we see better results recruiting.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:If we are at the point where we are now taking recruits just to get our numbers up to be able to practice, I am all for dropping football and moving on. Not saying I agree with that assessment, but my gosh, how bad can it get!
That's not what I said. Remember, you have a 25/85 scholarship max. We only had 59 players last year. Why do you have a problem if, while he's filling this years class with players, that he also looks for some walkons that are paying their own way to school, but are willing to be part of the team? How does it hurt us at all? There's no limit on how many players like that you can have. The biggest issue has been finding enough players like that because of Tulane's tuition. Fritz has actually made an effort to bolster the numbers that way. It doesn't compromise our recruiting class in any way whatsoever, so where's the problem?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:We just got three JUCO players into school and another one flipped to Syracuse at the last minute. CJ got any New Orlenas kid he wanted into school. Tulane's lack of success and below standard facilities are a problem. Fritz doesn't have the connections to recruit locally. I hope Dannen has much bigger plans for the facilities than sticking a giant Angry Wave on top of the scoreboard with a water feature. We will have start winning first and show a commitment to improving the facilities before we see better results recruiting.

Sure, CJ got any kid he wanted INTO school. Problem was, they couldn't make the grades and washed out, which is why there's no class of 2015 left. Fritz is smart enough not to waste time on that.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:We just got three JUCO players into school and another one flipped to Syracuse at the last minute. CJ got any New Orlenas kid he wanted into school. Tulane's lack of success and below standard facilities are a problem. Fritz doesn't have the connections to recruit locally. I hope Dannen has much bigger plans for the facilities than sticking a giant Angry Wave on top of the scoreboard with a water feature. We will have start winning first and show a commitment to improving the facilities before we see better results recruiting.

Sure, CJ got any kid he wanted INTO school. Problem was, they couldn't make the grades and washed out, which is why there's no class of 2015 left. Fritz is smart enough not to waste time on that.
Do you know if Tulane has had significantly more washouts than the average FBS program? If so, there's a bigger problem since if these student athletes have sufficient academics to meet NCAA requirements, they should -generally- be able to pass.
RobertM320
Green Wave

You don't think having only 7 players left from a class of 19, 18 months after they enrolled is significantly more than the average program? You tell me.

It should also tell you 1)just how low the NCAA requirements are, and 2) that lots and lots of schools pass the athletes on whether they learn or not.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:You don't think having only 7 players left from a class of 19, 18 months after they enrolled is significantly more than the average program? You tell me.

It should also tell you 1)just how low the NCAA requirements are, and 2) that lots and lots of schools pass the athletes on whether they learn or not.
While every program occasionally has a class that doesn't pan out - even blue blood P5s with classes full of high star players - if other programs can generally make it work, so can Tulane. The class that you are referring to should be the exception and not the rule, regardless of where Tulane recruits its football players from or how many stars they have.
JerseyWave
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:You don't think having only 7 players left from a class of 19, 18 months after they enrolled is significantly more than the average program? You tell me.

It was a weak class on talent too. Which is why bringing in transfers and this year's class are critical to future success.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:

It was a weak class on talent too. Which is why bringing in transfers and this year's class are critical to future success.
We also lost a few players from that recruiting class because they committed to CJ and one style of play and after a semester at Tulane a 180 degree turn was made and Coach Fritz came in with a totally different system and approach. How many of them failed out versus washed out or transferred is a stat that would be more meaningful in this discussion.

It's not always lack of ability. I knew a couple of kids when I was in college that were perfectly capable of doing the academic work, but for one reason or another simply blew it off and failed out. Kids 18-22 may or may not be motivated to go to class and do their work.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:If we are at the point where we are now taking recruits just to get our numbers up to be able to practice, I am all for dropping football and moving on. Not saying I agree with that assessment, but my gosh, how bad can it get!
That's not what I said. Remember, you have a 25/85 scholarship max. We only had 59 players last year. Why do you have a problem if, while he's filling this years class with players, that he also looks for some walkons that are paying their own way to school, but are willing to be part of the team? How does it hurt us at all? There's no limit on how many players like that you can have. The biggest issue has been finding enough players like that because of Tulane's tuition. Fritz has actually made an effort to bolster the numbers that way. It doesn't compromise our recruiting class in any way whatsoever, so where's the problem?
The NCAA does have squad limit sizes (like 35 in baseball) for football. The number is north of 100 which I'm sure one of the folks here can confirm exactly. As you note Tulane is in no danger of coming close to it including walk-ons. Some schools sort of work around it by having separate club football teams. I have a vague recollection that after all its QB injuries, Navy was "calling up" QB replacement(s) from its 175 lb (or whatever the weight limit is today) club football team to the NCAA "varsity" team.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

While every program occasionally has a class that doesn't pan out - even blue blood P5s with classes full of high star players - if other programs can generally make it work, so can Tulane. The class that you are referring to should be the exception and not the rule, regardless of where Tulane recruits its football players from or how many stars they have.
Azer, I think for purposes of this discussion, of the '18 and 19' classes, it's safe to say whether it's the exception or not, CJ had a disastrous prediction of whether these kids would make it in the Tulane program and that's why we have such a large gaping hole of filling scholarships and building a program.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
+1.

For clarity sake the 59 was number cited by WF at the end of the season. We had more players than that. That was the number that were healthy and could travel to the last game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
The NCAA does have squad limit sizes (like 35 in baseball) for football. The number is north of 100 which I'm sure one of the folks here can confirm exactly. As you note Tulane is in no danger of coming close to it including walk-ons. Some schools sort of work around it by having separate club football teams. I have a vague recollection that after all its QB injuries, Navy was "calling up" QB replacement(s) from its 175 lb (or whatever the weight limit is today) club football team to the NCAA "varsity" team.
I believe the limit is either 105 or 110. The service academies are not bound by the limit as they don't offer football scholarships. And yes, Navy literally called a RS Freshman out of the stands to dress after a number of injuries during a game early in the 2016 season. That kid actually played and started the following week, if I'm not mistaken. Most of the Navy recruits go to prep school (Navy Prep in Rhode Island) for a year before enrolling at Annapolis.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

DrBox wrote:On Saturday, 247 downgraded several of our recruits. We went from 7 or 8 3 stars to 3 or 4.
I count Kuerschen and Singletary, who else?
Wave755
Tsunami

Ruski wrote:
DrBox wrote:On Saturday, 247 downgraded several of our recruits. We went from 7 or 8 3 stars to 3 or 4.
I count Kuerschen and Singletary, who else?
Right now 247 has us with five 3 stars:

http://tulane.247sports.com/Season/2017 ... ll/Commits