Football Recruiting 2017

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Jaxwave
Swell

Sorry, very proud of my Dickens collection.

Jaxwave
Swell

Fritz needs to be all over this. Kid wants an MBA. Has 2 years eligibility left. Somebody who knows how can forward this to him.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/tech- ... YEBVwZGRO/
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:The recruit's name is Ryan Dickens.

The best part of that article is in the Comments;

"Davy Jones
1/17/17 12:24pm
Reporter: Can you describe how you felt when you were offered the scholarship and then when they rescinded it just two weeks before signing day?

Dickens: It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."
It's easy to understand young Mr. Dickens' disappointment. He had Great Expectations. Now he's experiencing Hard Times.
have zero expectations, great or not and U will never be disappointed...I did see the movie Hard Times, starring Charles Bronson and James Colburn and filmed in NOLA...wasn't great, but not too bad...but then again, I did not have any expectations
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Everybody wants Grad transfers? Here's one for us. 6'5" 300lb OL grad from "the U". Immediately eligible for 2017
https://twitter.com/mattyports/status/8 ... 1922813952 https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 3601577984
Thanks for the info.. Here's his bio:

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArti ... M_ID=28700
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:Fritz needs to be all over this. Kid wants an MBA. Has 2 years eligibility left. Somebody who knows how can forward this to him.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/tech- ... YEBVwZGRO/
I guess I don't quite understand the grad transfer guidelines. I thought you could only transfer to a school that offers an advanced degree your current school doesn't. I can't imagine Georgia Tech doesn't offer an MBA.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Thanks for the info.. Here's his bio:

I think I saw somewhere that he's got two years of eligibility remaining. My guess would be he got a medical redshirt for 2014. So a regular redshirt in 2013, a medical RS in 2014, and played two years 2015/2016.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Everybody wants Grad transfers? Here's one for us. 6'5" 300lb OL grad from "the U". Immediately eligible for 2017
https://twitter.com/mattyports/status/8 ... 1922813952 https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 3601577984
Thanks for the info.. Here's his bio:

He's a PA Boy (Pottstown), attended the Hun School (private boarding in Princeton, NJ). When the program starts winning we can start cherry picking these guys out of high school from CA to the Mid-Atlantic.
Last edited by wave97 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

According to Will Guillory, he only has one year eligibility. Wonder if he can go back and apply for a med RS for 3 yrs ago?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:According to Will Guillory, he only has one year eligibility. Wonder if he can go back and apply for a med RS for 3 yrs ago?
http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArti ... =206329593

2013 Redshirted
2014 Missed the season due to heat stroke complications
2015 played mostly special teams
2016 played limited role

So I think he has only one year left as I don't think you can redshirt then get a medical redshirt, IDK for sure though.
Ruski
Swell

He's pretty much only ever seen the field on Special Teams, how much of an impact do you all expect from him? Is he getting here early?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:He's pretty much only ever seen the field on Special Teams, how much of an impact do you all expect from him? Is he getting here early?
his impact....300 lbs...and experience at the FBS / BSC level
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Ruski wrote:He's pretty much only ever seen the field on Special Teams, how much of an impact do you all expect from him? Is he getting here early?
That LSU DL a few years ago never saw the field and made a huge impact. This Miami kid may still have been recovering from his coma complications. Either way, it's worththe risk and good at least to push the younger guys.

When you add in the transfers/JUCO guys, this class is middle of the road in the AAC IMHO.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
That LSU DL a few years ago never saw the field and made a huge impact. This Miami kid may still have been recovering from his coma complications. Either way, it's worththe risk and good at least to push the younger guys.

When you add in the transfers/JUCO guys, this class is middle of the road in the AAC IMHO.
I think there will be at least one more juco/grad transfer lineman on board and could be as many as three...
Ruski
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

If we end up middle of the road I'll be happy and surprised. WF recruiting seems to be his biggest weakness thus far. We're currently 9th in the league according to 247 and Cincy has been killing it with Fickell on board, the gap to 8th is widening.
Pepper
Swell

Ruski wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

If we end up middle of the road I'll be happy and surprised. WF recruiting seems to be his biggest weakness thus far. We're currently 9th in the league according to 247 and Cincy has been killing it with Fickell on board, the gap to 8th is widening.

Fickell has been recruiting the state of Ohio for a long time. WF is on his way to building those relationships. Plus a lot more talent there than here to choose from. Not bad facilities either.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

as a recruit U have to ask yourself a question...do I play for a Frickell or a FRITZ..... bring on the Fritz
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:According to Will Guillory, he only has one year eligibility. Wonder if he can go back and apply for a med RS for 3 yrs ago?
http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArti ... =206329593

2013 Redshirted
2014 Missed the season due to heat stroke complications
2015 played mostly special teams
2016 played limited role

So I think he has only one year left as I don't think you can redshirt then get a medical redshirt, IDK for sure though.
Then why do they always talk about a medical redshirt giving a sixth year? This would perfect example. Six years to play four.

EDIT: seems a bit inconclusive to me. But it looks like he only gets one.

From the NCAA:

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/201 ... dshirt.htm
Medical Hardship Requirements

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock

Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.
Ruski
Swell

Pepper wrote:
Ruski wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Fickell has been recruiting the state of Ohio for a long time. WF is on his way to building those relationships. Plus a lot more talent there than here to choose from. Not bad facilities either.
I get all that. In a few weeks we'll know a lot more. All I'm saying is thus far WF recruiting has been lacking. I'd love to see Shaun King brought in as a co-OC or something. All the USF guys have been raving about his recruiting prowess.
RobertM320
Green Wave

But then you have this regarding sixth year eligibility.
On rare occasions, players may be allowed to play in their sixth year of college—if they suffered a serious injury that kept them from playing for more than one season. Former Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Jason White is perhaps the best known example of this, as he had redshirted his freshman year, then subsequently tore the ACL in both knees, causing him to miss nearly two years of eligible playing time. A more recent example is former Houston Cougars quarterback Case Keenum. His story is similar to that of White; Keenum redshirted his freshman year of 2006, and then tore an ACL three games into the 2010 season, which would have otherwise been his final year of eligibility.
How does the Case Keenum situation meet the criteria of being kept from playing for more than one season? He redshirted in 2006, played 07,08,09, and 2010 would have been his 5th year. He only missed 2010, so why did he qualify for a sixth year?
Pepper
Swell

Ruski wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Ruski wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

I get all that. In a few weeks we'll know a lot more. All I'm saying is thus far WF recruiting has been lacking. I'd love to see Shaun King brought in as a co-OC or something. All the USF guys have been raving about his recruiting prowess.
Agree. We need a local guy on staff to beat the bushes.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Ruski wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

That's not going to happen, Ruski. King is a hometown boy. Grew up in the Tampa area, played his pro ball there, and has a family there. His only tie to NOLA is four years at Tulane, including one special season. That's why I never thought he'd follow Willie Taggart to Oregon. It was going to be either stay at USF, or go back to what he was doing before.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Pepper wrote:Agree. We need a local guy on staff to beat the bushes.
Yes, but King is not the guy. He's not local. There needs to be someone else.
Ruski
Swell

There are 2 weeks left. WF is coming on strong of late with Khalil McClain, Sam Crawford, Paul Gainer, Brian Roberts, Ellison Hubbard, Aaron Donald, Shannon Forman, Issac Buell, and Kierston Johnson. If WF can get 2 of the McClain, Crawford, and Gainer that'd be huge for the offense. Getting more firepower on D would be gravy too.

If we get 4 out of those 8 I'll happily eat crow.
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Ruski wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Ruski wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

That's not going to happen, Ruski. King is a hometown boy. Grew up in the Tampa area, played his pro ball there, and has a family there. His only tie to NOLA is four years at Tulane, including one special season. That's why I never thought he'd follow Willie Taggart to Oregon. It was going to be either stay at USF, or go back to what he was doing before.

A promotion and salary increase would be great motivation. And I remember seeing Tulane tweets from him at some point.
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Pepper wrote:Agree. We need a local guy on staff to beat the bushes.
Yes, but King is not the guy. He's not local. There needs to be someone else.
He might not be local but he did lead Tulane to an undefeated season, that could be even better. The problem with local kids, I imagine, is they are told/think you can never win at Tulane. Also being a successful black QB/coach would go a long way. See how well CJ/Frank Wilson have done in the area.