Football Recruiting 2017

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Ruski
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Ruski wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:He ran for 30 TDs in 152 carries? Averaged a TD every 5 carries and a 14.1 ypc average? Who was he playing?

The three-star recruit was all over the field for LaFayette this past season. As the leader of the Bulldogs’ offense, Whitlow completed 94 of 162 passing for 2,292 yards, 29 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. He also ran 152 carries times for 2,147 yards and 30 touchdowns.

I like the part about the camaraderie, but does he really believe that any school he picks is going to have a good education? He's got Troy and Ga Southern on his list.
Receiving a good education tops Whitlows criteria for whichever school he picks, but team camaraderie is high on his list, too.

“The players. Being in a brotherhood. That’s what I want. Good teammates, good coaches,” Whitlow said. “I know any school I pick is going to have a good education. Education is the biggest criteria, but what I’m really looking for with the team is the players and the coaches.”

In that regard, he liked what he saw at Tulane.

“Everyone was really great over there,” he said. “Those were really cool coaches. You feel so at home there.”
If he does come here, he'd be the highest rated commit this class, just a shade higher than the one that just committed, Kieston Roach. .8667, so a high 3 star.
Seems like Whitlock's signature could be a program changer. Big, athletic, highly rated QB perfect for our system and has an offer from Auburn. If we can snag him it could be a real sign of a new era.
Don't forget about Mr. Banks who could also be that program changing qb we desperately need...
On the field results yes. But I think it's much bigger deal being able to land talent out of HS rather than JUCO.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Apparently, his mom lives 30 minutes from Auburn, so, if Tulane does snag him, it will be quite the coup given that and that he is the #35 ranked athlete in the nation at 247.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index. ... tar_a.html

http://247sports.com/Player/JaTarvious-Whitlow-84548
Ruski
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Apparently, his mom lives 30 minutes from Auburn, so, if Tulane does snag him, it will be quite the coup given that and that he is the #35 ranked athlete in the nation at 247.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index. ... tar_a.html

http://247sports.com/Player/JaTarvious-Whitlow-84548

Seems he was originally rated 4 stars on 247. Here's an article from Halloween.
Despite a small-school backdrop, Whitlow is a four-star prospect according to 247Sports and he’s caught the eye of scouts at Auburn and elsewhere.

Whitlow is being recruited under the “athlete” category by most schools, which makes sense considering he’s a starting quarterback who has also played running back, wide receiver, safety, kicker and returner for Class 2A LaFayette High School.

Auburn, UAB, Troy, Georgia State and Jacksonville State made up Whitlow’s list of offers for some time, but he and his head coach, James Lucas, said that Tulane offered Whitlow earlier this month—and they’re specifically interested in him as a quarterback.

Whitlow said he is praying on the decision, which he won’t make until February. But the 5-foot-11, 175-pound senior said that the Tulane offer makes the choice more difficult since most other schools see him as a safety.

“I think I’m better with the ball in my hands,” Whitlow said.
http://theleftbench.com/blog/2016/10/25 ... 2a-school/
Wave755
Tsunami

After this weekend both Rivals & 247 now rank us 91st , while Rivals still shows us with only one 3 star recruit but 247 rates five of our recruits 3 star.

https://tulane.rivals.com/commitments/football/2017

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Footba ... amRankings
RobertM320
Green Wave

It would surprise me as well if he picks us over Auburn, but you never know. The SEC is filled with 4 and 5 star QBs. What's the chance a 3 star gets a legit shot?

And then, you can't forget Kahlil McClain, the other QB that was in this weekend. If we land either of these two, in addition to the signing of Banks, we will have upgraded the QB position drastically.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Odd question. Why does Navy not have to adhere to the 25/85 rule? According to 247, they currently have 38 commits for the 2017 class. Is it because technically they're not scholarships, since they're enlisting?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

Ruski wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:He ran for 30 TDs in 152 carries? Averaged a TD every 5 carries and a 14.1 ypc average? Who was he playing?

The three-star recruit was all over the field for LaFayette this past season. As the leader of the Bulldogs’ offense, Whitlow completed 94 of 162 passing for 2,292 yards, 29 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. He also ran 152 carries times for 2,147 yards and 30 touchdowns.

I like the part about the camaraderie, but does he really believe that any school he picks is going to have a good education? He's got Troy and Ga Southern on his list.
Receiving a good education tops Whitlows criteria for whichever school he picks, but team camaraderie is high on his list, too.

“The players. Being in a brotherhood. That’s what I want. Good teammates, good coaches,” Whitlow said. “I know any school I pick is going to have a good education. Education is the biggest criteria, but what I’m really looking for with the team is the players and the coaches.”

“Everyone was really great over there,” he said. “Those were really cool coaches. You feel so at home there.”
If he does come here, he'd be the highest rated commit this class, just a shade higher than the one that just committed, Kieston Roach. .8667, so a high 3 star.
Seems like Whitlock's signature could be a program changer. Big, athletic, highly rated QB perfect for our system and has an offer from Auburn. If we can snag him it could be a real sign of a new era.
They're listing him at 5-11 175. Which explains the lack of "big" offers. But that's a fallacy as we all know. You can either play the position or not. Hope we get him.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Odd question. Why does Navy not have to adhere to the 25/85 rule? According to 247, they currently have 38 commits for the 2017 class. Is it because technically they're not scholarships, since they're enlisting?
Robert, I believe the 25/85 rule is that 85 is the limit and as long as you haven't met the limit, you can offer more than 25 in any given year, but the max cap is 85, for instance Michigan's 2017 class is expecting to take in around 30-31 this year due to transfers and students graduating.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Odd question. Why does Navy not have to adhere to the 25/85 rule? According to 247, they currently have 38 commits for the 2017 class. Is it because technically they're not scholarships, since they're enlisting?
If I remember correctly do not enlist / commit to the military until after their 2nd year at the Academy of choice....also none of the players signed enroll at the Academy 99.9 percent of all signees attend a Prep School, that is their '"red shirt" year, since they are not allowed to "red shirt'. So even tho they may be "true freshman" at the Institution, they have been out of high school for one year
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Ruski wrote:

They're listing him at 5-11 175. Which explains the lack of "big" offers. But that's a fallacy as we all know. You can either play the position or not. Hope we get him.
Yeah my bad I was thinking of McClain. 6'3 212lbs
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

A few years ago we were recruiting for athletes against lower P5 and the top G5 schools. It seems to me like we're now competing for players with the middle and sometimes lower G5's. To compete in this conference, we need recruiting classes that are no worse than the middle of the AAC rankings. Others know their way around the recruiting rankings better than me. But my guess would be that the average AAC recruiting class is around 70. We're at 91 according to 24/7. I know that Coach Fritz is expected to get a lot out of his players, but this is a program that needs to upgrade the quality of recruits we target. I'm all for national and regional recruitig, but we need a local guy on staff to get some homegrown 3 and occasional 4 star recruits. Too many are getting away right from under our noses.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:the latest from SportsNola

http://sportsnola.com/recruiting-tulane ... ds-campus/
Wow!

We are recruiting a wide receiver with offers from Emporia St, Missouri St and Southeast Oklahoma St.

Meanwhile, of all the visitors this past weekend there were no new commitments among them. Fritz better figure out a way to close with his best prospects over the next three weeks.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:

Wow!

We are recruiting a wide receiver with offers from Emporia St, Missouri St and Southeast Oklahoma St.

Meanwhile, of all the visitors this past weekend there were no new commitments among them. Fritz better figure out a way to close with his best prospects over the next three weeks.
somewhat reminds me of what a former SMU player said about the first team after the "death penalty'..."we weren't big..but we were slow "
RobertM320
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:

Wow!

Of course you don't mention this part: "The 3 star has Tulane, Colorado, Miss. State, Louisville, Minnesota and West Virginia on his impressive list of options". Also, I take nothing from Sportsnola as accurate. Kahlil McClain is listed as both QB and TE and he was here LAST weekend.

And we just landed Michael Scott this weekend, who had 10 P5 offers among his 35. You can't just cherry pick certain players to prove your point. When the signing class is done, then we can judge.
Bearwave
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:It would surprise me as well if he picks us over Auburn, but you never know. The SEC is filled with 4 and 5 star QBs. What's the chance a 3 star gets a legit shot?

And then, you can't forget Kahlil McClain, the other QB that was in this weekend. If we land either of these two, in addition to the signing of Banks, we will have upgraded the QB position drastically.
Auburn will have Jarret Stidham for the next 3 years......that may play a part in him choosing Tulane.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:It would surprise me as well if he picks us over Auburn, but you never know. The SEC is filled with 4 and 5 star QBs. What's the chance a 3 star gets a legit shot?

Auburn will have Jarret Stidham for the next 3 years......that may play a part in him choosing Tulane.
when all is said and done, more will be said than done... but I think WF will pull in a better, than most expect, class
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

A little off topic, but still relevant since it's in-conference recruiting news. Looks like Mr. Edsall is already making great recruiting news by pulling offers.

http://deadspin.com/report-uconn-dicks- ... 1791288449
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:A little off topic, but still relevant since it's in-conference recruiting news. Looks like Mr. Edsall is already making great recruiting news by pulling offers.

A loss to Tulane will get you fired. :oops:
May as well pull his scholarship offers while you're at it.
ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:A little off topic, but still relevant since it's in-conference recruiting news. Looks like Mr. Edsall is already making great recruiting news by pulling offers.

The recruit's name is Ryan Dickens.

The best part of that article is in the Comments;

"Davy Jones
1/17/17 12:24pm
Reporter: Can you describe how you felt when you were offered the scholarship and then when they rescinded it just two weeks before signing day?

Dickens: It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."
God Bless Everyone!
GreenLantern
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:The recruit's name is Ryan Dickens.

"Davy Jones
Reporter: Can you describe how you felt when you were offered the scholarship and then when they rescinded it just two weeks before signing day?

It's easy to understand young Mr. Dickens' disappointment. He had Great Expectations. Now he's experiencing Hard Times.
chain gang x man
Swell

https://twitter.com/curtis_patriots/sta ... 9095711744
Will someone draw HC Fritz a map to John Curtis
Coach Nick Saban and butch Jones with staff from Bama, Tenn, Auburn and NICHOLLS STATE stopped by today
RobertM320
Green Wave

Everybody wants Grad transfers? Here's one for us. 6'5" 300lb OL grad from "the U". Immediately eligible for 2017
https://twitter.com/mattyports/status/8 ... 1922813952 https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 3601577984
RobertM320
Green Wave

This tweet is kind of interesting. From what I can find, this kid is only a junior? And this tweet is from the kid, not Tulane.
https://twitter.com/killa_Chris_2/statu ... 5282073600
Jaxwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:The recruit's name is Ryan Dickens.

"Davy Jones

It's easy to understand young Mr. Dickens' disappointment. He had Great Expectations. Now he's experiencing Hard Times.
Pretty bleak around his house. Probably not singing a Christmas Carol. Coach Edsall not their mutual friend. The kid needs a vacation, maybe he can send his parents pictures from Italy.