Football Recruiting 2017

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
glennc wrote:It is interesting to see fritz recruiting some JUCO players. In the past we avoided them like the plague. C. J. got some transfers but no JUCO that i can think of. Is this Dannen convincing to administration to loosen restrictions.
Do you remember a QB named Nick Montana? Where did he play the year before he came to Tulane?
Right. We go over this all the time. There is no ban on JuCo's at Tulane.

The issue is credits transferring. There are not equivalent classes for a lot of the coursework that junior college students are taking. We don't have "algebra", for instance, but this might be the only math that a junior college athlete might ever take. Some junior college athletes are taking industrial courses like welding. State schools are set up to take many of these credits because they themselves have their own junior colleges they are affiliated with within their systems. With private schools, it is a lot tougher. Note that BOTH Junior College QBs we have admitted in recent years had already spent time at D1 institutions and therefore had sufficient academic coursework that could transfer over. Many (most?) other junior college players were non-qualifiers out of high school and probably do not have the academic background.
This makes complete sense and I never thought of it this way.

posse
High Tide

The issue is credits transferring. There are not equivalent classes for a lot of the coursework that junior college students are taking. We don't have "algebra", for instance, but this might be the only math that a junior college athlete might ever take. Some junior college athletes are taking industrial courses like welding. State schools are set up to take many of these credits because they themselves have their own junior colleges they are affiliated with within their systems. With private schools, it is a lot tougher. Note that BOTH Junior College QBs we have admitted in recent years had already spent time at D1 institutions and therefore had sufficient academic coursework that could transfer over. Many (most?) other junior college players were non-qualifiers out of high school and probably do not have the academic background.[/quote]

Why doesn't Tulane start an "Algebra" Course? Under impression Tulane admin was finally developing Athletic friendly courses to help recruiting and build a winning program. Are they truly committed, or giving us and the new coaches the usual lip service again? Seems we hear about their alleged commitment every time they hire a new football coach.....
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
glennc wrote:It is interesting to see fritz recruiting some JUCO players. In the past we avoided them like the plague. C. J. got some transfers but no JUCO that i can think of. Is this Dannen convincing to administration to loosen restrictions.
Do you remember a QB named Nick Montana? Where did he play the year before he came to Tulane?

The issue is credits transferring. There are not equivalent classes for a lot of the coursework that junior college students are taking. We don't have "algebra", for instance, but this might be the only math that a junior college athlete might ever take. Some junior college athletes are taking industrial courses like welding. State schools are set up to take many of these credits because they themselves have their own junior colleges they are affiliated with within their systems. With private schools, it is a lot tougher. Note that BOTH Junior College QBs we have admitted in recent years had already spent time at D1 institutions and therefore had sufficient academic coursework that could transfer over. Many (most?) other junior college players were non-qualifiers out of high school and probably do not have the academic background.
The JUCO's have to have qualified out of HS and then there is the issue of transferring credits.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:If we are going to dream big we should look at transfers from ND- Zaire, Bivin and McGovern on the O-Line, Folston at RB, Butler at DB. Make the pitch that we know you value academics and you can step right in here and play in an NFL city.
Highly doubtful. Worth the phone call, but highly doubtful.
That's why I said dreaming. Sort of like dreaming that we are going to swoop in and grab Houston's recruits or a 3 star QB from Louisville.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:isn't the QB from Mississippi State transferring as a Grad Student...I think he played a Rummel
Damian Williams and we are going after him.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

The JUCO's have to have qualified out of HS and then there is the issue of transferring credits.
Technically not true but practically yes. Coaches/athletic admins simply do not have enough resources to get an admittance exception for a HS non-q'er. Their time and cred is better spent on the credit transfer issue which is massively challenging on its own.

Added note: when frosh class exploded this fall way beyond expectations, Tulane KO'd virtually every academic transfer regardless of qualifications because it didn't have room for them. So one can at least understand reluctance of Admissions to give super special exceptions to potential transfers who would not have even qualified for admission out of high school. If WF and staff can add five to seven JUCO's, I'll be ecstatic. Most since Gibson/English??
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Technically not true but practically yes. Coaches/athletic admins simply do not have enough resources to get an admittance exception for a HS non-q'er. Their time and cred is better spent on the credit transfer issue which is massively challenging on its own.
It is true and you should know that as a subscriber to the wavereport. :mrgreen:
lurker123
Swell

To quote our new President-elect, "WRONG."
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:isn't the QB from Mississippi State transferring as a Grad Student...I think he played a Rummel
Ww, do you have insider info on this? Please let this be true....
lurker123
Swell

To quote our new President-elect, "WRONG." We're quibbling here but if you wish to fine. I explained above that last fall, Tulane rejected massive number of accepted and qualified potential transfers (athletics had no role in it) because of capacity issues.

In these times getting a HS non-q'er would require putting a camel through the eye of the needle. Not worth it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I understand Friz has been in touch with multiple JUCO players, some with outstanding offers..if we can only get the big DL from Blinn !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:To quote our new President-elect, "WRONG." We're quibbling here but if you wish to fine. I explained above that last fall, Tulane rejected massive number of accepted and qualified potential transfers (athletics had no role in it) because of capacity issues.

In these times getting a HS non-q'er would require putting a camel through the eye of the needle. Not worth it.
Wrong. And quit calling WF a liar. :mrgreen:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
winwave wrote:
Ww, do you have insider info on this? Please let this be true....
Not insider information but it's out there.
torbida
Surge

Hope they're trying to get Damian Williams he produced when he was out there for Mississippi State. The more competition at QB the better .If he comes here does he have to sit out a year?
RobertM320
Green Wave

torbida wrote:Hope they're trying to get Damian Williams he produced when he was out there for Mississippi State. The more competition at QB the better .If he comes here does he have to sit out a year?
Not if he's a grad student.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

Yeah I'm a homer , so what. But I would love for Tulane to take a look at Briggs bourgeois from st Amant. 1st team all district in 4 positions. Wide receiver, kick returner, kicker and punter. In other words, he would find a spot. Briggs is currently a southern miss commit. Cj had him for a visit. He really likes Tulane but they got off him after cj was fired. Dude can ball.
wavemania
Surge

D Williams will be a grad student. But from what I'm hearing from the Rummel family, he isn't interested in Tulane. Could it be cuz WF hasn't even set foot on Rummel campus? Meanwhile Coach O upriver has been there looking at 2 young Rummel DBs . :evil:
lurker123
Swell

galvezwave wrote:Yeah I'm a homer , so what. But I would love for Tulane to take a look at Briggs bourgeois from st Amant. 1st team all district in 4 positions. Wide receiver, kick returner, kicker and punter. In other words, he would find a spot. Briggs is currently a southern miss commit. Cj had him for a visit. He really likes Tulane but they got off him after cj was fired. Dude can ball.
Well why don't you do it the old fashioned way and help him get a legislative scholarship?
galvezwave
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Yeah I'm a homer , so what. But I would love for Tulane to take a look at Briggs bourgeois from st Amant. 1st team all district in 4 positions. Wide receiver, kick returner, kicker and punter. In other words, he would find a spot. Briggs is currently a southern miss commit. Cj had him for a visit. He really likes Tulane but they got off him after cj was fired. Dude can ball.
Well why don't you do it the old fashioned way and help him get a legislative scholarship?
Lol. Wouldn't know anything about that. But it would be nice to have a player that can catch punts and kick balls
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:To quote our new President-elect, "WRONG." We're quibbling here but if you wish to fine. I explained above that last fall, Tulane rejected massive number of accepted and qualified potential transfers (athletics had no role in it) because of capacity issues.

Bring an HS non qualifier who after going to prep school/JUCO now meets NCAA quals along with a sugar daddy with a $1 million donation to a liberal arts department or say even gender studies at Tulane, do you think Tulane would say no? What if say the student was a place kicker from the Qatar which has donated $10 million to Tulane? Just asking?

http://www2.tulane.edu/news/releases/ar ... 050206.cfm

As I said we're quibbling about silly stuff. Tulane admits all sort of special circumstance students all the time as many colleges do and changes as the specific circumstances dictate. Yes many times they have dollar signs attached to them. I agree absolutely that the above is so unlikely that it won't happen so it's not worth it to WF to spend time fighting it. As I said "practically , yes; technically, no." If you view that as lying so be it....
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:

Bring an HS non qualifier who after going to prep school/JUCO now meets NCAA quals along with a sugar daddy with a $1 million donation to a liberal arts department or say even gender studies at Tulane, do you think Tulane would say no? What if say the student was a place kicker from the Qatar which has donated $10 million to Tulane? Just asking?

As I said we're quibbling about silly stuff. Tulane admits all sort of special circumstance students all the time as many colleges do and changes as the specific circumstances dictate. Yes many times they have dollar signs attached to them. I agree absolutely that the above is so unlikely that it won't happen so it's not worth it to WF to spend time fighting it. As I said "practically , yes; technically, no." If you view that as lying so be it....
Willie Fritz just told Guerry Smith in an interview that a JUCO has to qualify out of HS and have enough credits transfer. I'll trust him on that.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:

Willie Fritz just told Guerry Smith in an interview that a JUCO has to qualify out of HS and have enough credits transfer. I'll trust him on that.
This has been the case for decades tmk. For the most part, it destroys the reason why many many students (especially those locals who have suffered through a deplorable high school education system) go to JUCOs.

What has always bothered me about this policy is that Tulane talks out of both sides of their mouth. They say they want to be a steward of the local community and push this agenda of community involvement and fostering the lives of those who have not been given the same opportunities as others. Well there is nothing better you can do than providing an avenue for a student who goes to JUCO to get their life together to then in turn get a high quality Tulane degree.

My bigger question is, how do other elite private/public schools handle JUCOs?
Ruski
Swell

Fritz tweeted this picture from Hutchinson CC in Kansas earlier this week.
https://twitter.com/CoachWEFritz/status ... 1085433856
lurker123
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:

This has been the case for decades tmk. For the most part, it destroys the reason why many many students (especially those locals who have suffered through a deplorable high school education system) go to JUCOs.

What has always bothered me about this policy is that Tulane talks out of both sides of their mouth. They say they want to be a steward of the local community and push this agenda of community involvement and fostering the lives of those who have not been given the same opportunities as others. Well there is nothing better you can do than providing an avenue for a student who goes to JUCO to get their life together to then in turn get a high quality Tulane degree.

You want the policy changed have T Boone Pickens show up with $200 million+ like he did for OSU. As I said this is silly stuff and too bad Tulane doesn't work with these folks but it is what it is.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:

I agree . I have long ago advocated for that. Just like Tulane wants coaches to coach them up they should want to educate them up too.