Basketball Recruiting -- 2017

Talk about the latest recruits here.
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://twitter.com/NorthPoleHoops/stat ... 9977464833

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

Not a lot of info out there about him. Mike Anderson was courting him at Arkansas last week, thats a good sign.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote:Not a lot of info out there about him. Mike Anderson was courting him at Arkansas last week, thats a good sign.
Put his name in the search on YouTube. Plenty of video. Pro's he's quick, shoots well. Con's needs to gain weight, work on his left hand. (Usually goes right side to the hoop)
Side note: I wonder who's going to sign his teammate #22 Makur Maker (2020 class he's only 15 years old) the big 7 footer. Thats Thon's cousin who played briefly at Country Day. Who's now in the NBA.
phpBB [video]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Ruski wrote:Not a lot of info out there about him. Mike Anderson was courting him at Arkansas last week, thats a good sign.
Put his name in the search on YouTube. Plenty of video. Pro's he's quick, shoots well. Con's needs to gain weight, work on his left hand. (Usually goes right side to the hoop)
Side note: I wonder who's going to sign his teammate #22 Makur Maker (2020 class he's only 15 years old) the big 7 footer. Thats Thon's cousin who played briefly at Country Day. Who's now in the NBA.
phpBB [video]
I'm not real good at breaking down highlight tapes, they make all the kids seem like all-stars to me haha.

How do Daniels and Barrett compare to the UMASS duo?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: I'm not real good at breaking down highlight tapes, they make all the kids seem like all-stars to me haha.

How do Daniels and Barrett compare to the UMASS duo?
Not sure. But the two transfers will have to sit out a year. The freshman can come in and play immediately if they are good enough.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

Seen a lot of him. Great body, very athletic, a tremendous amount of upside. May have been held back a bit at Aug, they play a much more team oriented style of play and he wasn't surrounded by a lot of talent this year so defenses focused on him heavily. Needs to improve his ball handling and shoot more consistently but could be a steal. Saw a lot of him and Cornish. Cornish was a 4* coming out and Daniels a 2*. I think Daniels is better with more athleticism and a more promising future.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good to hear.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:Good to hear.
Gotta give the coach his due props. On paper a complete roster makeover with a few nice returning pieces. No stagnation. Now can we please put a Tulane product on the floor we can be proud of. For once .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep. Six new players next year. Cornish, Sehic and the four freshman.It will be interesting .
JerseyWave
Riptide

Comparing what we are losing and gaining from this past season, it appears to be a significant improvement in talent. I don't expect the two kids from Sudan via New Jersey will be immediate impact. They look like they will need some work at the college level before becoming major contributors.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm not sure what to expect. Neither Cornish nor Sehic produced at their prior schools. Some have said Cornish looks like the best player on the team in practices. The same thing was s said about Morgan. Also I believe it was sader who said he had maturity issues. Hopefully he's grown up. With Sehic we have to hope if they could get Smith to improve they can do the same with him. I've said from the beginning that the two big men recruits are projects. As for Daniels hopefully he's healthy and is a sleeper. Barrett transferred to one of those basketball factories but didn't beat out players who signed with big schools. They both have size for guards which we certainly need. Player development is the buzz word of the profession. It will be interesting to see what the coaches get out of them.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Coach Dunleavy basically wrote off this season before it started. I will not be happy with another sub .500 season in a conference that is nowhere near as strong as it was when we joined it. I was all in favor of Dunleavy when he was hired, but I'm very disappointed in what's happened since. I don't care how many projects are on the team. Go 10-22 and I pray Dannen shows Dunleavy the exit. Win 15 or more this year, or tell us that your semi-retired, Coach. This isn't baseball, it's the second biggest money sport BY A WIDE MARGIN in collegiate athletics. We don't need 4 or 5 years to rebuild. Look at how quickly some of the other coaches we were talking about on this board a year ago have turned their new programs around. The best thing I can say about the 16-17 season is that Coach learned to call timeout by the end of the season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Highlanders20
Trickle

Any news on whether Henri Langton is still committed to Tulane? Or is he headed somewhere else?
sader24
Tsunami

If Cornish slimmed down and has bought in he'll be a good player. I don't think he's actually been coached since his Freshman year of high school. Talent has never been an issue. Him and Daniels are two big athletic guys. Daniels more explosive and Cornish more skilled.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Highlanders20 wrote:Any news on whether Henri Langton is still committed to Tulane? Or is he headed somewhere else?
He's not committed to Tulane. We have the two big men from the fall and two recent PG's from the spring (one from Canada, the other a local). To date that's our four commits.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He did commit. He hasn't signed.
lurker123
Swell

sader24 wrote:If Cornish slimmed down and has bought in he'll be a good player. I don't think he's actually been coached since his Freshman year of high school. Talent has never been an issue. Him and Daniels are two big athletic guys. Daniels more explosive and Cornish more skilled.
Cornish looks sturdy not fat. He could have played center under some of Conroy's teams and probably done respectably compared to some of Conroy's front line recruits. In other words, he has the ideal AAC physique of a number 2 we've been begging for years to compete and win in conference. He won't be hip-checked into the stands when Tulane rebounds by committee. If he improves like Reynolds and Smith did under the current coaches, he will definitely contribute. All tbd.
sader24
Tsunami

He was overweight at UNLV and it showed compared to the weight he should play at. He looked far less explosive at UNLV than he is and was.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:He was overweight at UNLV and it showed compared to the weight he should play at. He looked far less explosive at UNLV than he is and was.
sader I may be wrong but when he signed with us I thought you brought up some issues w/maturity and selfishness on the court. It seems you follow local HS basketball closely. Is there any word on him since he's been back here the last year with regards to those issues? Thanks.
lurker123
Swell

sader24 wrote:He was overweight at UNLV and it showed compared to the weight he should play at. He looked far less explosive at UNLV than he is and was.
I didn't see him play in HS or UNLV. I'm simply reporting what I saw in 15+ home games of watching him in sweats. He is not fat today by any measure. He looks solid and sturdy. Moreover if Sehic is truly 6'9" then Cornish is 6'7" at minimum not 6'6" as he is listed on roster. (I know issue is whether you measure players with or without shoes. Just look at how Kevin Durant's height changes by two inches high or low every few months. I suspect Sehic may have been measured wearing shoes.)

Taron Oliver was fat. Cornish looks nothing like that.

Point is Cornish has an AAC physique which we've been begging for for years. He won't be watching the game from the third row as an opponent bodies him into the stands. That won't happen.
sader24
Tsunami

I'd say I've seen Cornish play around 40 games in high school and 2 or 3 at UNLV. I didn't say he was fat, I said he looked around 10-15lbs above the weight he's best at when I watched him at UNLV. He was 6-4 maybe touching 6-5 in high school. I have no idea how he looks right now, he may very well be at the weight he needs to be and if he is he'll be a good player for us. If you want him to play at the 2 or 3 you don't want him sturdy you want him 6-5 and explosive. You want him running, shooting, attacking the rim, etc. The last game I saw him playing at UNLV they had him guarding the 5, and he looked slow. As for his maturity, I don't think he's a bad kid, but he wasn't really coached his last 3 years in high school and pretty much everyone in the city thought his decision to go to UNLV was a bad one and immature. He was totally catered to his last 3 years at BM and it wasn't good for him or his game. Playing for the right coach and playing at the right size and in the right frame of mind with the right focus, he's an upper level AAC player, in the wrong situation he's a bust. Talent and physical aspects are there. Hopefully he's been humbled and plays with something to prove.
lurker123
Swell

sader24 wrote:I'd say I've seen Cornish play around 40 games in high school and 2 or 3 at UNLV. I didn't say he was fat, I said he looked around 10-15lbs above the weight he's best at when I watched him at UNLV. He was 6-4 maybe touching 6-5 in high school. I have no idea how he looks right now, he may very well be at the weight he needs to be and if he is he'll be a good player for us. If you want him to play at the 2 or 3 you don't want him sturdy you want him 6-5 and explosive. You want him running, shooting, attacking the rim, etc. The last game I saw him playing at UNLV they had him guarding the 5, and he looked slow. As for his maturity, I don't think he's a bad kid, but he wasn't really coached his last 3 years in high school and pretty much everyone in the city thought his decision to go to UNLV was a bad one and immature. He was totally catered to his last 3 years at BM and it wasn't good for him or his game. Playing for the right coach and playing at the right size and in the right frame of mind with the right focus, he's an upper level AAC player, in the wrong situation he's a bust. Talent and physical aspects are there. Hopefully he's been humbled and plays with something to prove.
Sader, Thanks for the detailed summary. Disagree completely about body type. MD's "ideal" lineup is three or even four guys who can rebound by committee around a very solid rim protector. Sorry but most of the Conroy forwards much less the guards could not hang in there and rebound effectively against AAC opponents. They simply were not physically strong enough especially defensively to stop aggressive muscular offensive rebounding and put backs. (Kain Harris's biggest failing and why he is gone. He couldn't beat out his mother for a rebound. But I loved his streaky shooting when he was hot.) Agree absolutely Cornish must have some measure of quickness even if he is not fast. If Cornish is to really be impactful at Tulane, he needs to play number 2 or 3 well. Perhaps he is a little heavier than you would prefer and a little smaller than I would prefer? ;) We shall see.