New commit out of Houma

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Post Reply
dpm wave
Surge
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:42 am



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Fritz can't say who, but I haven't tracked down anyone else that does know yet.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:14 pm

RobertM320 wrote:Fritz can't say who, but I haven't tracked down anyone else that does know yet.
Just doing a board search, I think it might be Davontavean Martin from Ellender High, if so, he's a great under the radar prospect that plays dual sports in football and basketball.

2* rating, 6'4 at 164 lbs, plays WR and CB and plays 2/3 spot in Bball. Here's his HUDL:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3305159/davontavean-martin
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:17 pm

That's who someone on the other board mentioned as well.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Guerry Smith ‏@Guersmith 4m4 minutes ago
WR Davontavean Martin of Ellender commits to #Tulane, hopes to play football and basketball.
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Will Guillory ‏@WillGuillory 11m11 minutes ago
Ellender's Davontavean Martin says he will play basketball and football at Tulane #RollWave
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:07 pm

RobertM320 wrote:Will Guillory ‏@WillGuillory 11m11 minutes ago
Ellender's Davontavean Martin says he will play basketball and football at Tulane #RollWave
That's great news it's Mr. Martin. Welcome and Roll Wave! Local-ish 2* recruit that's flying under the radar and a dual sport athlete.
User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:50 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Fritz can't say who, but I haven't tracked down anyone else that does know yet.
Just doing a board search, I think it might be Davontavean Martin from Ellender High, if so, he's a great under the radar prospect that plays dual sports in football and basketball.

2* rating, 6'4 at 164 lbs, plays WR and CB and plays 2/3 spot in Bball. Here's his HUDL:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3305159/davontavean-martin
Martin looks like he has a good frame for the WR position, and if he spends some time in the weight room he could be a plus player for us down the line. He also needs some work on his fundamentals (route running, ball security, high-pointing the ball), but that is not uncommon for someone coming out of high school at all. Probably a redshirt, I'd think. But someone who can definitely develop and be a player here at WR.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:00 pm

I thought he looked pretty good in the short clip from the camp. Obviously needs weight room work.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Here's an interesting side question. Can he redshirt as a freshman in football, yet play his freshman year in basketball. I guess my question is, do his four years of eligibility have to be the same 4 in both sports?
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:39 pm

RobertM320 wrote:Here's an interesting side question. Can he redshirt as a freshman in football, yet play his freshman year in basketball. I guess my question is, do his four years of eligibility have to be the same 4 in both sports?
No. Players can and do overlap all the time in multiple sports. There is a general rule that once you start college you need to complete your eligibility within five calendar years whether you play or not. It's ok to be a 26 year old junior if you started at age 24 (like some football players have done who signed baseball contracts out of high school.) It's not ok to be a 26 year old junior if you started college at 18.

Didn't Trevor Smith play football in 2014 but was ineligible in baseball that year?

There are military and religious exceptions (think BYU missionary rotations) and other "specials" that the NCAA could grant so this is only a general rule.
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:04 pm

lurker123 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Here's an interesting side question. Can he redshirt as a freshman in football, yet play his freshman year in basketball. I guess my question is, do his four years of eligibility have to be the same 4 in both sports?
No. Players can and do overlap all the time in multiple sports. There is a general rule that once you start college you need to complete your eligibility within five calendar years whether you play or not. It's ok to be a 26 year old junior if you started at age 24 (like some football players have done who signed baseball contracts out of high school.) It's not ok to be a 26 year old junior if you started college at 18.

Didn't Trevor Smith play football in 2014 but was ineligible in baseball that year?

There are military and religious exceptions (think BYU missionary rotations) and other "specials" that the NCAA could grant so this is only a general rule.
Let me give a more stark example. You couldn't play football only for four years from 18 to 22 then start basketball only and play that until 26. That's what the above rule is designed to stop not where folks like Tanner Lee may get an extra year for an injury redshirt in addition to a regular redshirt year.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12002
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 pm

lurker123 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Here's an interesting side question. Can he redshirt as a freshman in football, yet play his freshman year in basketball. I guess my question is, do his four years of eligibility have to be the same 4 in both sports?
No. Players can and do overlap all the time in multiple sports. There is a general rule that once you start college you need to complete your eligibility within five calendar years whether you play or not. It's ok to be a 26 year old junior if you started at age 24 (like some football players have done who signed baseball contracts out of high school.) It's not ok to be a 26 year old junior if you started college at 18.

Didn't Trevor Smith play football in 2014 but was ineligible in baseball that year?

There are military and religious exceptions (think BYU missionary rotations) and other "specials" that the NCAA could grant so this is only a general rule.
Yes Trevor Simms played football in 2014 but had to sit out for baseball.
Find A Way!
Post Reply