MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16881
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby tpstulane » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:35 pm

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... obile_home

The 6-foot-8, 220-pound Thompson selected South Alabama over Tulane, Richmond, UTEP and Western Kentucky.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11088
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby winwave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:01 pm

The biggest obstacle Fritz and Dunleavy face is their facilities.


Find A Way!

lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby lurker123 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:57 pm

winwave wrote:The biggest obstacle Fritz and Dunleavy face is their facilities.


Do you know what led to Thompson's decision?

USA's Mitchell Arena is similar in size and design features to UNO's Lakefront Arena. Do you believe that gives UNO a recruiting edge over Tulane?

Can you name any basketball recruits that Tulane has lost because of Fogelman?

These are all serious questions or did I misread what you meant by your comment?



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11088
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby winwave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Have you seen our recruiting for the last decade or more. Quit burying your head in the sand. The facilities are a major issue. RD is gone and so should be his way of thinking.


Find A Way!

lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby lurker123 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:07 pm

winwave wrote:Have you seen our recruiting for the last decade or more. Quit burying your head in the sand. The facilities are a major issue. RD is gone and so should be his manner of thinking.


UTEP has better facilities, a much larger fan base, is in a better conference and has an ex-NBA HC as its head coach. Why did Thompson not choose UTEP?

None of Conroy, Dickerson or Finney have had an HC job since they left Tulane. I would look at that first as to why Tulane failed. Just my view.



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11088
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby winwave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:11 pm

Our facilities are a major issue and need to be addressed w/candor.


Find A Way!

User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2661
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby OUG » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:26 pm

When we get a recruit over bigger programs in better leagues with better facilities, we don't say its because there is something wrong with those schools.
There are a lot of reasons why kids, especially in basketball, will choose certain schools. A lot of it has to do with coaching, relationships, perceptions of playing time, and the style of play.
That isn't to say our arena couldn't be bigger or better, but our practice facilities -- where guys work, meet, and train every day -- are certainly up to snuff. I wouldn't assume facilities are why we lost this particular recruit. Unless you have talked to him personally.



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11088
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby winwave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:09 pm

There's a long trend. RD advanced the practice facilities argument . The game day facility is important to players. It's where they go to shine. A HS gym clearly hasn't been impressive.


Find A Way!

User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2661
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby OUG » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:23 am

winwave wrote:There's a long trend. RD advanced the practice facilities argument . The game day facility is important to players. It's where they go to shine. A HS gym clearly hasn't been impressive.


They are both important.

But there is no evidence that it came down to facilities. When Trey Jackson committed to us in football despite offers from top ten programs, it wasn't an indictment of those programs. Those programs didn't go into hysterics about losing a recruit they had offered to Tulane. Kids make up their minds for all kinds of reasons, and of course maybe Tulane had stopped pushing for a commitment from him and USA ramped up the attention they were giving him.

You can make your argument about facilities without trying to shoehorn this into being a data point. That's all I'm saying.



jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby jonathanjoseph » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:26 am

OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:There's a long trend. RD advanced the practice facilities argument . The game day facility is important to players. It's where they go to shine. A HS gym clearly hasn't been impressive.


They are both important.

But there is no evidence that it came down to facilities. When Trey Jackson committed to us in football despite offers from top ten programs, it wasn't an indictment of those programs. Those programs didn't go into hysterics about losing a recruit they had offered to Tulane. Kids make up their minds for all kinds of reasons, and of course maybe Tulane had stopped pushing for a commitment from him and USA ramped up the attention they were giving him.

You can make your argument about facilities without trying to shoehorn this into being a data point. That's all I'm saying.


The issue is, it is a data point. It's one of many data points that all point in a certain direction. We're seeing the same things in football recruiting as well. Houston in football and SMU in basketball have proven that you can recruit elite talent to the AAC. Now we have the coaches to match. What's missing?



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11088
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby winwave » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:28 am

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:There's a long trend. RD advanced the practice facilities argument . The game day facility is important to players. It's where they go to shine. A HS gym clearly hasn't been impressive.


They are both important.

But there is no evidence that it came down to facilities. When Trey Jackson committed to us in football despite offers from top ten programs, it wasn't an indictment of those programs. Those programs didn't go into hysterics about losing a recruit they had offered to Tulane. Kids make up their minds for all kinds of reasons, and of course maybe Tulane had stopped pushing for a commitment from him and USA ramped up the attention they were giving him.

You can make your argument about facilities without trying to shoehorn this into being a data point. That's all I'm saying.


The issue is, it is a data point. It's one of many data points that all point in a certain direction. We're seeing the same things in football recruiting as well. Houston in football and SMU in basketball have proven that you can recruit elite talent to the AAC. Now we have the coaches to match. What's missing?


Right. I think I was pretty clear that I'm talking about our recruiting in the big two in general. Recruits like Jackson are the exception not the norm. My hope is that the two coaches we have now will win w/what they have thus showing how good of coaches they are and therefore being able to overcome the burden of their facilities.


Find A Way!

JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby JerseyWave » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:17 am

It is possible, despite the media report, he wasn't high on Dunleavy's list. Dunleavy might have bigger fish to hook, so the kid decided to make a commitment elsewhere.



Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1585
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:24 am

OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:There's a long trend. RD advanced the practice facilities argument . The game day facility is important to players. It's where they go to shine. A HS gym clearly hasn't been impressive.


They are both important.

But there is no evidence that it came down to facilities. When Trey Jackson committed to us in football despite offers from top ten programs, it wasn't an indictment of those programs. Those programs didn't go into hysterics about losing a recruit they had offered to Tulane. Kids make up their minds for all kinds of reasons, and of course maybe Tulane had stopped pushing for a commitment from him and USA ramped up the attention they were giving him.

You can make your argument about facilities without trying to shoehorn this into being a data point. That's all I'm saying.


I agree with you OUG. I'm sure facilities matter to some recruits and not to others, but it's preposterous for us to automatically assume that our facilities are insufficient for a recruit whenever a recruit goes to a different program over us. Even in the circumstances where they do matter to a recruit, there are a wide range of other factors that also go into a recruits decision making process.



lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby lurker123 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:36 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:There's a long trend. RD advanced the practice facilities argument . The game day facility is important to players. It's where they go to shine. A HS gym clearly hasn't been impressive.


They are both important.

But there is no evidence that it came down to facilities. When Trey Jackson committed to us in football despite offers from top ten programs, it wasn't an indictment of those programs. Those programs didn't go into hysterics about losing a recruit they had offered to Tulane. Kids make up their minds for all kinds of reasons, and of course maybe Tulane had stopped pushing for a commitment from him and USA ramped up the attention they were giving him.

You can make your argument about facilities without trying to shoehorn this into being a data point. That's all I'm saying.


I agree with you OUG. I'm sure facilities matter to some recruits and not to others, but it's preposterous for us to automatically assume that our facilities are insufficient for a recruit whenever a recruit goes to a different program over us. Even in the circumstances where they do matter to a recruit, there are a wide range of other factors that also go into a recruits decision making process.


Look we all get Fogelman's capacity is 1/4 to a 1/3 too small. Just because St. Mary's (which by the way does play in a gym that looks like Jesuit's) has had a consistent NCAA tourney team which is often ranked doesn't mean we're stuck there too. Bring it back to 5000+ or even 6000 and that will be fine. There are few if any season ticket holders or students who go to games who want to move downtown. Let's figure out how to make campus work.

Sorry but for those who think Devlin is a HS gym, they need to go to more HS games and gyms for comparative purposes.



dpm wave
Surge
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby dpm wave » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:41 am

Reading the Richmond thread about him mentioned possibly offers from Illinois and Iowa.
Choosing South over Big 10 schools and multiple schools who have been in "The Dance" regularly raised an academic red flag to me.



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11088
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby winwave » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:57 am

He goes to a magnet school so that's probably not the case.


Find A Way!

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11088
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby winwave » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:00 am

lurker123 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:There's a long trend. RD advanced the practice facilities argument . The game day facility is important to players. It's where they go to shine. A HS gym clearly hasn't been impressive.


They are both important.

But there is no evidence that it came down to facilities. When Trey Jackson committed to us in football despite offers from top ten programs, it wasn't an indictment of those programs. Those programs didn't go into hysterics about losing a recruit they had offered to Tulane. Kids make up their minds for all kinds of reasons, and of course maybe Tulane had stopped pushing for a commitment from him and USA ramped up the attention they were giving him.

You can make your argument about facilities without trying to shoehorn this into being a data point. That's all I'm saying.


I agree with you OUG. I'm sure facilities matter to some recruits and not to others, but it's preposterous for us to automatically assume that our facilities are insufficient for a recruit whenever a recruit goes to a different program over us. Even in the circumstances where they do matter to a recruit, there are a wide range of other factors that also go into a recruits decision making process.


Look we all get Fogelman's capacity is 1/4 to a 1/3 too small. Just because St. Mary's (which by the way does play in a gym that looks like Jesuit's) has had a consistent NCAA tourney team which is often ranked doesn't mean we're stuck there too. Bring it back to 5000+ or even 6000 and that will be fine. There are few if any season ticket holders or students who go to games who want to move downtown. Let's figure out how to make campus work.

Sorry but for those who think Devlin is a HS gym, they need to go to more HS games and gyms for comparative purposes.


It is at least 1/2 too small to be honest. No one wants to move but something needs to be done.


Find A Way!

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5551
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby DfromCT » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:20 am

lurker123 wrote:
Sorry but for those who think Devlin is a HS gym, they need to go to more HS games and gyms for comparative purposes.


+1,000,000


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Wave755
Swell
Posts: 2398
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby Wave755 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:33 am

winwave wrote:There's a long trend. RD advanced the practice facilities argument . The game day facility is important to players. It's where they go to shine. A HS gym clearly hasn't been impressive.

St. John's Carnesecca Arena (formerly Alumni Hall) seats 5602 and was built in 1961 and renamed in 2004 in honor of Hall of Fame Coach Lou Carnesecca. Madison Square Garden is used by St. John's for games of greater fan interest.



User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2577
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby Show Me » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:36 am

Looks to me more like he's joining up with his friends that are already at South Alabama. It's a big stretch in this case to blame Fogelman.
And you don't offer or recruit a kid you don't want. I don't buy that excuse either. Dunleavy is going to find out how competitive the college recruiting game is. I believe he knows talent but can he get them to sign here is going to be the real question.



lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: MBB Joe Thompson chooses USA over Tulane

Postby lurker123 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Show Me wrote:Looks to me more like he's joining up with his friends that are already at South Alabama. It's a big stretch in this case to blame Fogelman.
And you don't offer or recruit a kid you don't want. I don't buy that excuse either. Dunleavy is going to find out how competitive the college recruiting game is. I believe he knows talent but can he get them to sign here is going to be the real question.


Other site makes pretty convincing case that he was a Conroy offer. Don't know what Dunleavy wanted here but perhaps this is no different than what Fritz did with a lot of CJ offers. Namely there may have been a mutually agreed parting of the ways.

If so let's just say the back and forth today may have been premature. Time to kumbaya and save the ammo for something that counts.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests