4th QB in camp this fall

Talk about the latest recruits here.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
When you are done splitting hairs the bottom line is we're repeatedly adding players to the program who don't have other FBS offers.
I share your concern. But that doesn't have to mean these guys are not good enough to play at a high level. Let's draw an analogy to pro football. Let's try a hypothetical where NFL prospects were rated by the same agencies with stars like we have in college. Let's go back and look at the 2011 New Orleans Saints. Perhaps, the greatest offense in NFL history. Nearly half of that team started their NFL careers as undrafted free agents. That included Pierre Thomas and Lance Moore. What would that be at the scouting services? NR. Marcus Colston, late 7th round draft pick. What would that be? At best two stars, at very best. Chris Ivory: undrafter, NR. Jimmy Graham, third round pick. What? Three stars at the very best.

Pierre Thomas accounted for nearly 1,000 yards in offense. Lance Moore had 627 yards recieving and 8 touchdowns. Marcus Colston has 1100 yards recieving and 8 touchdowns. Chris Ivory has more than 300 yards rushing in limited playing time.

Here are all the impact players who were undrafted free agents from that team (all of them, analogously, would be NR by college scouting rags).

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-an ... f2f3961d15
Well, my butt is now filled to the brim with sunshine.

God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:I share your concern. But that doesn't have to mean these guys are not good enough to play at a high level. Let's draw an analogy to pro football. Let's try a hypothetical where NFL prospects were rated by the same agencies with stars like we have in college. Let's go back and look at the 2011 New Orleans Saints. Perhaps, the greatest offense in NFL history. Nearly half of that team started their NFL careers as undrafted free agents. That included Pierre Thomas and Lance Moore. What would that be at the scouting services? NR. Marcus Colston, late 7th round draft pick. What would that be? At best two stars, at very best. Chris Ivory: undrafter, NR. Jimmy Graham, third round pick. What? Three stars at the very best.

Pierre Thomas accounted for nearly 1,000 yards in offense. Lance Moore had 627 yards recieving and 8 touchdowns. Marcus Colston has 1100 yards recieving and 8 touchdowns. Chris Ivory has more than 300 yards rushing in limited playing time.

Here are all the impact players who were undrafted free agents from that team (all of them, analogously, would be NR by college scouting rags).

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-an ... f2f3961d15
Robert, the NFL is different than college. We don't really care if our players pan out in the pro leagues, as we want them to do well in college. Think of it this way - would any Tulane fan care if we had some JaMarcus Russells, Tim Tebows or Bryce Pettys on our roster? Those types of players would be game changers for us even if their pro careers end up being very short or are non-existent.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie, I think he's just using it as an analogy. He's saying you can still win and be productive with players that aren't highly rated by recruiting services, in the same way the Saints were able to be productive without having an offense full of first and second rounders. Of course, they do have something we don't. Namely, #9.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:I wonder how many "stars" Roch Hontas had....or Steve Foley ?
Roch Hontas? #2 quarterback in the nation the year he came out. The nation.
Foley was a major talent from Louisiana.
Doc...what's up ?....Can you share the site that shows Hontas was the number 2 rated High School QB in the nation.... Foley was a walk on at Tulane and not considered any type of "major talent" just because he had a letter sweater from Jesuit...no matter what TPS says !!!!
It was 1976. He was #2 in the nation. Sorry if you don't believe it.
Most great TU Qbs in my years were major recruits - Hontas, Jones and King. Foley a major La recruit.

Ramsey wasn't, but he wasn't a great QB. Losman was, but he wasn't a great QB either.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Doc...what's up ?....Can you share the site that shows Hontas was the number 2 rated High School QB in the nation.... Foley was a walk on at Tulane and not considered any type of "major talent" just because he had a letter sweater from Jesuit...no matter what TPS says !!!!
It was 1976. He was #2 in the nation. Sorry if you don't believe it.
Most great TU Qbs in my years were major recruits - Hontas, Jones and King. Foley a major La recruit.

Ramsey wasn't, but he wasn't a great QB. Losman was, but he wasn't a great QB either.
Doc...I searched the internet and came up with one story where Roch Hontas' name appeared...I would have thought the number 2 rated QB in the USA would have had a few more words written about him : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... le.com/url?

Doc...here is an article about high profiled Steve Foley !!! Clearly states he was a walk on with tution paid by a family friend and a schollie awarded after his FIRST year...we beat out Nicholls State !!!!...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7741,d.eWE
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Steve Foley was not a walk-on. He had a scholarship just like his older brothers.
AJ....I maybe wrong...but I think Steve was a walk on "Freshman Team" player and was awarded a schollie during his second year...I may be wrong, but then again I may be right

TPS...contact Steve and let's set the record straight
Golf is correct. He earned his scholarship after his freshman year. I found this to confirm.
http://sportsnola.com/where-are-they-now-steve-foley/
After graduating from Jesuit High School, only Nicholls State showed significant interest in the 5’11″ 165 pound quarterback.
Steve wanted to go to Tulane and play with his brothers, Mike (WR) and Rob (OL), but, coming from a family of 13 children, tuition was not affordable. That is until a “guardian angel” by the name of Dr. Ken Saer came along and offered to pay the young athlete’s way to Tulane.

Unlike many, the good doctor believed in Steve. “You’re going to be a good football player,” Saer told Foley.

Steve earned a scholarship at Tulane after his first year there. Foley also grew 3 inches and added 25 lbs. by his sophomore season. As a running quarterback, he showed great mobility and rarely took a direct hit.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

I stand corrected. Thanks to tps and apologies to golf.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:I stand corrected. Thanks to tps and apologies to golf.
AJ....no reason to, or for apologies...you remember it one way, I another...no big deal....make it a great day, because if you don't...no one else will !!!!..unless you are Dirty Harry....go ahead punk, make my day !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !