QB Commit: Kaylan Wiggins, Sanford, FL

Talk about the latest recruits here.
wave97
Swell

https://twitter.com/WigginsKaylan
Hudl link on his twitter
Last edited by wave97 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

We beat out Army, Navy, and Gardner-Webb for his services - remember that Army/Navy do not have athletic scholarships in the traditional sense. He is a 2* at Scout and appears to be unrated by the other 3.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wow. I hope we did not recruit him as a QB because he does not appear to have D1A passing ability.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3183138/574 ... 247c78e643
waveclem
Surge

:shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:
Aberzombie1892
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:Wow. I hope we did not recruit him as a QB because he does not appear to have D1A passing ability.

If he can't pass that well, he will fit in just fine with our current co-starting QBs.

EDIT: Maxpreps has his stats. During his Junior 15-16 season, his passing accuracy was 47.6% for a total of 777 yards for 5 touchdowns and 4 Interceptions, and, during the same season, he rushed for 728 yards for 10 touchdowns. He totaled 167.2 yards per game through both rushing and passing. Let's hope he significantly improves this fall.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kaylan- ... -stats.htm
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pepper
Swell

Welcome to the family.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
51WaveBG
High Tide

Wiggins plays for Seminole High School in Sanford, Florida (not Tallahassee.). It is in Class 8, which is the highest classification in
Florida High School sports, so he is playing in very good competition. Should be a good addition to this class.
wave97
Swell

51WaveBG wrote:Wiggins plays for Seminole High School in Sanford, Florida (not Tallahassee.). It is in Class 8, which is the highest classification in
Florida High School sports, so he is playing in very good competition. Should be a good addition to this class.
Thank you for correcting my mistake, I cut & pasted the info from a recruiting board.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Welcome Mr. Wiggins! Roll wave! I think we found one of our potential pitchman! WF's vision is slowly coming together...
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:Wow. I hope we did not recruit him as a QB because he does not appear to have D1A passing ability.

I really doubt we recruited him as a pocket passer type of qb... If he has offers from Army and Navy, I think you can read between the lines on what type of QB he is
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:

I really doubt we recruited him as a pocket passer type of qb... If he has offers from Army and Navy, I think you can read between the lines on what type of QB he is
There's a middle ground between a pocket passer and an option QB who isn't a threat to throw at all. Cuillette and Bradwell are having enough problems and they were passing threats in high school.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:There's a middle ground between a pocket passer and an option QB who isn't a threat to throw at all. Cuillette and Bradwell are having enough problems and they were passing threats in high school.
Some of this. It looks like their are two tiers of Dual Threat QBs - the first tier can both pass and run and the second tier can run but barely pass. Tulane seems to be stockpiling QBs in the second tier, while many P5s and even many of our conference mates are recruiting QBs from the first tier. I mean geez, Dane Ledford, our other QB signee is rated the 105th best Pro QB, and Kaylan will probably land within a stones throw from that rank. That's fine - I guess - as long as Fritz is our coach and he plans to rush over 2/3s of the time, but, if that philosophy ever changes or we get a new coach, we are in trouble on the QB front.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:There's a middle ground between a pocket passer and an option QB who isn't a threat to throw at all. Cuillette and Bradwell are having enough problems and they were passing threats in high school.
Some of this. It looks like their are two tiers of Dual Threat QBs - the first tier can both pass and run and the second tier can run but barely pass. Tulane seems to be stockpiling QBs in the second tier, while many P5s and even many of our conference mates are recruiting QBs from the first tier. I mean geez, Dane Ledford, our other QB signee is rated the 105th best Pro QB, and Kaylan will probably land within a stones throw from that rank. That's fine - I guess - as long as Fritz is our coach and he plans to rush over 2/3s of the time, but, if that philosophy ever changes or we get a new coach, we are in trouble on the QB front.
A duel threat QB is, by it's very definition, a QB who can both run and pass. If a QB can barely pass, they are a running/option QB and not what we should be recruiting.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Ledford was recruited by Tulane as an athlete. There are indications that is what Wiggins has been recruited as too. In a very recent interview with Guerry Smith WF indicated we are going to throw the ball a lot more like he did at SHSU. He feels good about the progress the QB's have made this summer.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Unless Wiggins was lied to in the recruiting process, it seems like he will be a QB for us. He had his heart set on being a QB and Tulane recruited him to play that position.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/f ... story.html
nawlinspete
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Unless Wiggins was lied to in the recruiting process, it seems like he will be a QB for us. He had his heart set on being a QB and Tulane recruited him to play that position.

Another happy talk misspeak from winwave who thinks he is the cat's meow since having his name drawn out of a hat.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Jaxwave
Swell

Family a class act. Good pedigree.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I know there's no way to really know, but if you look at the type of players we're bringing in, it might be a matter of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. These are all smart, high character type of guys. If he can get them playing together, maybe even with a chip on their shoulder for not being highly rated, we could be pleasantly surprised.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Unless Wiggins was lied to in the recruiting process, it seems like he will be a QB for us. He had his heart set on being a QB and Tulane recruited him to play that position.

I was referring to what was said in the 5th paragraph. Others that were looking at him talked to him about switching. He will most certainly get a shot at QB here but history shows how many have switched after getting their shot initially. He really has good moves and if he doesn't pan out at QB he could be moved to RB or WR.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Earlier article w/him talking of playing other positions in college:

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#secti ... -87072352/
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Even including Wiggins, we've just fallen to #11 in the AAC (#95 Nationally). I'm still uneasy about being the best offer (depending about how you feel about service academies) the vast majority of our commits have, including Wiggins.

http://tulane.247sports.com/Season/2017 ... ll/Commits
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:I know there's no way to really know, but if you look at the type of players we're bringing in, it might be a matter of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. These are all smart, high character type of guys. If he can get them playing together, maybe even with a chip on their shoulder for not being highly rated, we could be pleasantly surprised.

Clearly a smart kid. Good size 6'3 200#'s but I am really concerned that we are recruiting too much to academics and what appears to be QBs setup for the traditional option offense.

Maybe the staff hopes to catch a kid with tons of potential who they can move to another position if need be (seems like a perfect fit for a DB). Not the most comforting recruiting season so far.

Welcome aboard.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I know there's no way to really know, but if you look at the type of players we're bringing in, it might be a matter of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. These are all smart, high character type of guys. If he can get them playing together, maybe even with a chip on their shoulder for not being highly rated, we could be pleasantly surprised.

Clearly a smart kid. Good size 6'3 200#'s but I am really concerned that we are recruiting too much to academics and what appears to be QBs setup for the traditional option offense.

Maybe the staff hopes to catch a kid with tons of potential who they can move to another position if need be (seems like a perfect fit for a DB). Not the most comforting recruiting season so far.

Welcome aboard.
I don't mind WF gobbling up quarterbacks even if they are low rated/ not rated. I'm not saying he's taking a page from Bill Walsh, but that was one of his methods when he recruited at the college level... If they didn't work out at QB, they could surely be taught to be successful at another position.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Just watched the tape, kid looks like a real athlete, especially for his size.
wave97
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:

Welcome aboard.
Not one of our QB recruits has come from a veer/bone "traditional option" offense and as for academics; "Knowledge is Good." - Emil Faber