Second Time Around Transfers

Talk about the latest recruits here.
McWave
High Tide

I read several people seeking to recruit players which passed on TU offers in the past. I am not sure that helps us recruit quality players now. Do we really want to be known as a fallback? P5 recruiter says, "if it does work out at state u, you can always go back to TU and get a quality education. They'll take you. Give your dream a shot with us. The TU offer will always be available." I think it puts more pressure on the decision if we don't re-offer these players. I bring this up because I see more and more positive comments regarding state u transfers. Almost all are no longer wanted at their dream schools by their best friend recruiting coaches.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

I agree in theory, but look at what Baylor did - it built itself off of players that were no longer wanted at their old schools. I'm not saying we should recruit players that assault people, but we should at least consider following Baylor's path of recruiting good players that will never see playing time at higher profile institutions.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

While your principal is solid, we have to ask the question: Is the program talented enough to turn it's back on a player that could substantially upgrade a position?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
McWave
High Tide

I understand the short term fix with the upgrade at a position but I worry about the longer term effect of quality players passing up the TU offer to try it somewhere else. And I am talking about the G5/P5 tweeners. The kids that are great hs performers and get a P5 offer based on athletic IQ not physical dominance. For example a 5'11" QB with savy game skills.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

McWave wrote:I understand the short term fix with the upgrade at a position but I worry about the longer term effect of quality players passing up the TU offer to try it somewhere else. And I am talking about the G5/P5 tweeners. The kids that are great hs performers and get a P5 offer based on athletic IQ not physical dominance. For example a 5'11" QB with savy game skills.
I hear you, but, unless we ever get invited to a power 5 or we become a mid-major superpower with consistent top 40ish recruiting classes, we should almost always jump at the opportunity to land 3-5* players in areas of need that didn't make it work at their prior school (for reasons aside from assault) since it's unlikely that a lot of those players would choose us fresh out of high school and they would generally make a big impact for us.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
McWave wrote:I understand the short term fix with the upgrade at a position but I worry about the longer term effect of quality players passing up the TU offer to try it somewhere else. And I am talking about the G5/P5 tweeners. The kids that are great hs performers and get a P5 offer based on athletic IQ not physical dominance. For example a 5'11" QB with savy game skills.
I hear you, but, unless we ever get invited to a power 5 or we become a mid-major superpower with consistent top 40ish recruiting classes, we should almost always jump at the opportunity to land 3-5* players in areas of need that didn't make it work at their prior school (for reasons aside from assault) since it's unlikely that a lot of those players would choose us fresh out of high school and they would generally make a big impact for us.
There's no shame in this. Texas A&M is using a transfer from Oklahoma at QB this year. Alabama won an NC with a transfer QB from Florida State last year. And does the name Cam Newton ring a bell?
God Bless Everyone!
waveclem
Surge

Apologies to the original poster but this way of thinking is stupid!!! If a quality player from another school wants to transfer to your school and can help your team well then you take him. Every school in the country does it. Let's not continue to take the path less traveleved. It hasn't worked out for us yet.