Zach Zubia

Talk about the latest recruits here.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote:He must have saw the writing on the wall here. He wouldn't have been able to play much until a a few years , if that. UT is in rebuilding stages so he has much better chance on playing early there and they weren't even ranked top 100 last year in rpi so obviously they need help. Plus he's really not the type of recruit Jewett goes after.
Wait, what?

Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:He must have saw the writing on the wall here. He wouldn't have been able to play much until a a few years , if that. UT is in rebuilding stages so he has much better chance on playing early there and they weren't even ranked top 100 last year in rpi so obviously they need help. Plus he's really not the type of recruit Jewett goes after.
Wait, what?
Yea, that's a bunch of BS
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Wait, what?
Kid wasn't even ranked in top 400 players in the country, you think jewett got vandy in the CWS recrutiing those type of kids? You think jewet wouldve offered him at Vandy? The kid is replaceable....it wasn't like he was a can't miss prospect.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Wait, what?
Kid wasn't even ranked in top 400 players in the country, you think jewett got vandy in the CWS recrutiing those type of kids? You think jewet wouldve offered him at Vandy? The kid is replaceable....it wasn't like he was a can't miss prospect.
Regardless of any of that, he was arguably the best guy in this class for us. None of that stuff really matters, this is not Vandy. Not saying he's going to be the best player on a great team but it's stupid to act like he's not even worth taking. I'm sure Vandy had their fair share of kids ranked outside the top 400 to go along with the stars they brought in, but like I said this ain't Vandy. Don't expect Jewett to bring in the number one recruiting class in the country
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Wait, what?
Regardless of any of that, he was arguably the best guy in this class for us. None of that stuff really matters, this is not Vandy. Not saying he's going to be the best player on a great team but it's stupid to act like he's not even worth taking. I'm sure Vandy had their fair share of kids ranked outside the top 400 to go along with the stars they brought in, but like I said this ain't Vandy. Don't expect Jewett to bring in the number one recruiting class in the country
Sure, we would've taken him, but it wasn't like he was a Gautreau/aubry/Alemais/rogers blue chip. He's replaceable. And I wouldn't be so fast saying we couldn't get #1 class, considering this snr class was ranked #5 in the country in 2013, that's a Vandy type class that gautreau put together if you ask me.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That class was ranked in the mid 50's. It was never ranked #5. When the classes get re-ranked after players sign w/the pros's before their freshman season it didn't lose any players and so it went into the lower 20's.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

all this for a kid who is in Austin....Good luck to Zac...he clearly wanted to play for Pierce, nothing wrong with that.....Now Stop the Madness and lock this thread !!!. so we can have room on the main page for important stuff ...like, why did Pierce leave and take Zubia with him ?!?!?!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:all this for a kid who is in Austin....Good luck to Zac...he clearly wanted to play for Pierce, nothing wrong with that.....Now Stop the Madness and lock this thread !!!. so we can have room on the main page for important stuff ...like, why did Pierce leave and take Zubia with him ?!?!?!
I don't worry about why Pierce left. We may have found a coach that is an upgrade from Pierce, even though Pierce is/was a very good coach. I really like Jewitt, and have a whole lot of confidence in him.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:all this for a kid who is in Austin....Good luck to Zac...he clearly wanted to play for Pierce, nothing wrong with that.....Now Stop the Madness and lock this thread !!!. so we can have room on the main page for important stuff ...like, why did Pierce leave and take Zubia with him ?!?!?!
I don't worry about why Pierce left. We may have found a coach that is an upgrade from Pierce, even though Pierce is/was a very good coach. I really like Jewitt, and have a whole lot of confidence in him.
Dave...please re- read my comment...the last part was intended to show how crazy this whole Zubia thread has become !!!!...I could give one big rat' s ass less why Pierce or Zubia left...they are gone.....let it go...go on to something that will make a difference in Tulane Athletics...too much viewing thru the rear view mirror and not enouoght thru the Windshield !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

winwave wrote:That class was ranked in the mid 50's. It was never ranked #5. When the classes get re-ranked after players sign w/the pros's before their freshman season it didn't lose any players and so it went into the lower 20's.
Sorry Winwave thats wrong. It was never in the 50's...ever. It was ranked #20 or #22 by Perfect Game and Baseball america on signing day, and after the draft Perfect Game bumped it to #5. Here is the link, you may have to change years at the top to 2013: http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Rec ... kings.aspx

Alemais was ranked as top SS in the country that year...chose Tulane over literally everyone. Rogers was the #1 C out of Texas, which could be argued is the #1 in any state since its so huge, and supposedly he chose us over UT, A&M, OU, TTU etc......This Zubia kid is choosing UT over us, so adios if you ask me. No sweat off my back, we can get someone equivalent in this next class. Hes not from austin fyi, hes from houston.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:
winwave wrote:That class was ranked in the mid 50's. It was never ranked #5. When the classes get re-ranked after players sign w/the pros's before their freshman season it didn't lose any players and so it went into the lower 20's.
Sorry Winwave thats wrong. It was never in the 50's...ever. It was ranked #20 or #22 by Perfect Game and Baseball america on signing day, and after the draft Perfect Game bumped it to #5. Here is the link, you may have to change years at the top to 2013: http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Rec ... kings.aspx

Alemais was ranked as top SS in the country that year...chose Tulane over literally everyone. Rogers was the #1 C out of Texas, which could be argued is the #1 in any state since its so huge, and supposedly he chose us over UT, A&M, OU, TTU etc......This Zubia kid is choosing UT over us, so adios if you ask me. No sweat off my back, we can get someone equivalent in this next class. Hes not from austin fyi, hes from houston.
You have to look at the avg. player rating. Tulane was in the mid 50's. The total points is based on a large # of signees. It's the quality that counts and the avg. player rating is the ranking that tells you that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:

You have to look at the avg. player rating. Tulane was in the mid 50's. The total points is based on a large # of signees. It's the quality that counts and the avg. player rating is the ranking that tells you that.
Another reason that saying the class was top 5 is asinine, PG re-ranked the class again when Dehart and Oakley transferred in. They put them in with that class because that's the year they graduated HS but they didn't come here as apart of that class. Another thing is they didn't re-rank Oakley and Dehart. Oakley is still factored in as the 60th best player in the class and Dehart 170th, despite the fact that those guys clearly hadn't lived up to that hype even before we got them
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Gotcha wizard. You're saying the class was re-ranked 2 times . Once after players signed w/the pros and then again when we got the transfers.So it went from mid 50's to mid 20's to #5.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

winwave wrote:Gotcha wizard. You're saying the class was re-ranked 2 times . Once after players signed w/the pros and then again when we got the transfers.So it went from mid 50's to mid 20's to #5.
I don't know where you keep getting top 50, never was even close to 50. I found the article and both publications had it at 23. And saying we aren't top 5 because a couple of athletes haven't panned out yet is comical. What was our class ranked compared to other teams and it clearly states #5, granted the top 5 was a re-rank a year later but hey I didn't rank them. That publication thought we were 5th best.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... g_cla.html

To get back on point, zubia wouldn't be in the top 5 of recruits of that class we signed.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:
winwave wrote:Gotcha wizard. You're saying the class was re-ranked 2 times . Once after players signed w/the pros and then again when we got the transfers.So it went from mid 50's to mid 20's to #5.
I don't know where you keep getting top 50, never was even close to 50. I found the article and both publications had it at 23. And saying we aren't top 5 because a couple of athletes haven't panned out yet is comical. What was our class ranked compared to other teams and it clearly states #5, granted the top 5 was a re-rank a year later but hey I didn't rank them. That publication thought we were 5th best.

To get back on point, zubia wouldn't be in the top 5 of recruits of that class we signed.
Before the draft we were 41st. http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vie ... ticle=7904 After the draft we got up to 23 because we lost nobody and a bunch of teams ahead of us lost guys. We got into the top 5 when we added Oakley and Dehart last year, but PG counts them with that class because that's when they came out of HS. We still get credit for Oakley being the best guy in the class even though when we signed him it was already known he was not doing well in college. Similar thing with Dehart, he'd already been run off from LSU. Dehart is ranked ahead of Rogers on there. I'm sorry but giving us credit for a top 5 class under these circumstances is just dumb as shit. We get credit for a top 70 player and a top 175 player even though it was already determined that neither were living up to that. And its not just that these guys "haven't panned out yet" they've got like 1 year left.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:

That article is after the first re-ranking. In October of 2013 they were on campus. They signed in November 2012 for the most part. They then played their senior years. After their senior years their was the draft.We didn't lose any and others did.
tnelly15
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Wait, what?
Zubia absolutely crushing it in the Northwoods League:

.333 BA
12 HR's, 1 triple and 9 2B's. .474 OBP
Leads the team in slugging. If Jewett doesnt like this kid or kids like this, wow.
This post didnt exactly age well.
chain gang x man
Swell

Was there ever a doubt?

@zachzubia is bringing home some hardware after winning the @NWLbaseball Home Run Derby tonight!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:Was there ever a doubt?

@zachzubia is bringing home some hardware after winning the @NWLbaseball Home Run Derby tonight!
:o
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:Was there ever a doubt?

:o
just a matter of time until ole Zach petitions the court to change his name to Z.Z. Top
chain gang x man
Swell

Zach Zubia (Texas) earned tonight's player of the night after breaking the Northwoods League Home Run Record. He doubled in the opening inning of his first game, but was left stranded. Zubia then went deep in the third for the home run record. He also singled in the fifth and scored from a single. Zubia ended the first game of the doubleheader with 2 runs, 3 hits and 1 RBI including his record-breaking 21st home run of the season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:Zach Zubia (Texas) earned tonight's player of the night after breaking the Northwoods League Home Run Record. He doubled in the opening inning of his first game, but was left stranded. Zubia then went deep in the third for the home run record. He also singled in the fifth and scored from a single. Zubia ended the first game of the doubleheader with 2 runs, 3 hits and 1 RBI including his record-breaking 21st home run of the season.
What could have been. :(
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:Zach Zubia (Texas) earned tonight's player of the night after breaking the Northwoods League Home Run Record. He doubled in the opening inning of his first game, but was left stranded. Zubia then went deep in the third for the home run record. He also singled in the fifth and scored from a single. Zubia ended the first game of the doubleheader with 2 runs, 3 hits and 1 RBI including his record-breaking 21st home run of the season.
Had Pierce stayed or Cannizaro hired.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Had Pierce stayed or Cannizaro hired.
Yes if Pierce stayed. But you don't know for sure he would have stayed if AC was hired. He was recruited by Pierce.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

none of this is a surprise. He really blossomed his senior year in high school and was even an above average QB in the hardest level of Texas HS football.

He was not ranked highly by scouting services because they knew his arm was shot and required surgery.