Lindsey Scott to be a Tiger again :(

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:45 am

Attached find a brief T-P update for the many "moving parts" for the Lindsey Scott saga.

Fingers crossed. 8-)


http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... ndsey.html


puffy
Surge
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:54 am

It's not just about winning with these athletes. It's also about exposure, the opportunity to play against the elite programs, playing in a system that showcases their talent, and the belief that if they go to X school, they have a chance to play professionally after they're done.

Under Armour is dumping multiple millions into upgrading the entire athletic department. Ten years ago people didn't think Oregon would routinely surpass USC in the standings, but they have courtesy of Nike's backing (&coinciding with USC's NCAAs penalties).

Maryland has got a lot to sell to Scott. It all depends if he wants to buy in, or wants more to stay at home.
User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:It means absolutely nothing, but I wonder why CJ never went after Scott.
Cause he held out the irrational hope that he could run a pro style offense with garbage coaching (OC and line) and no wr's.
Because CJ insisted on running a pro-style offense with a dropback passer that stayed in the pocket.

The list of QB's who CJ would never have touched is pretty long. Honestly if Greg Ward asked to transfer into our program, CJ probably would have said, "Thanks but no thanks." He only cared about arm strength and how complex an offense the kid could handle.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:06 pm

ajcalhoun wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
GreenGears wrote:
anEngineer wrote:One thing that Tulane can offer that Maryland can't is the opportunity to win a conference championship and with that, a chance to play in a major bowl game. Maryland is NEVER going to finish in the top 3 of the B1G in football no matter who they sign. The B1G could be the least competitive P5 conference and they are OK with that. They want Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St and Penn St to be the showcase programs. They want at least one of those 4 in the playoff every year and don't want any of the undercard messing that up.
Just

Unfortunately, I think people would say the same about Tulane and the American, even without big bruisers like Ohio St, Michigan or Michigan State.
I have to agree with anEngineer. The AAC is much more wide open potentially than the B1G will ever be. For instance, who saw Temple rising to the top like they did, just like we saw UCF go to the bottom so quickly. There's NO chance an Ohio State would ever finish at the bottom of the B1G. Just won't happen. The gap between us and Memphis/Houston/Temple talent wise is much, much closer than the gap between Ohio State and the bottom feeders of the B1G.

This sounds like the same argument as "Why sit on the bench at LSU, Ole Miss,etc. when you can come in and start right away here?" Real competitors don't look for the easy way out. I hate this loser kind of talk.
Who said anything about the easy way out? If your ultimate goal is to play on Sundays you won't get there if you don't play. We offer him the best chance to play now.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1856
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:44 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
GreenGears wrote:
anEngineer wrote:One thing that Tulane can offer that Maryland can't is the opportunity to win a conference championship and with that, a chance to play in a major bowl game. Maryland is NEVER going to finish in the top 3 of the B1G in football no matter who they sign. The B1G could be the least competitive P5 conference and they are OK with that. They want Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St and Penn St to be the showcase programs. They want at least one of those 4 in the playoff every year and don't want any of the undercard messing that up.
Just

Unfortunately, I think people would say the same about Tulane and the American, even without big bruisers like Ohio St, Michigan or Michigan State.
I have to agree with anEngineer. The AAC is much more wide open potentially than the B1G will ever be. For instance, who saw Temple rising to the top like they did, just like we saw UCF go to the bottom so quickly. There's NO chance an Ohio State would ever finish at the bottom of the B1G. Just won't happen. The gap between us and Memphis/Houston/Temple talent wise is much, much closer than the gap between Ohio State and the bottom feeders of the B1G.

This sounds like the same argument as "Why sit on the bench at LSU, Ole Miss,etc. when you can come in and start right away here?" Real competitors don't look for the easy way out. I hate this loser kind of talk.
Who said anything about the easy way out? If your ultimate goal is to play on Sundays you won't get there if you don't play. We offer him the best chance to play now.
So telling the kid you don't think he's good enough to play now elsewhere? That's what it sounds like to me.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:06 pm

If he was capable of starting anywhere in the country he'd be a 5-star, not a 3-star. Not telling him anything he doesn't already know. And if he is good enough but the recruiting services don't reflect that why waste your talent being redshirted or sitting for a couple of years when you could play now and prove them wrong? Take it as a challenge.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
ArtVandelay
Ripple
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:06 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:42 pm

The T-P just reported LSU has offered a scholarship to Scott.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:47 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:The T-P just reported LSU has offered a scholarship to Scott.
Sad but true, I just read the same article, http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... ulane.html we offered Scott on
December the 12th.

Having now lost out on Dwayne Haskins and Feleipe Franks LSU has turned its sights on Scott. As I said in an earlier post, the last time I can recall we got a recruit LSU wanted was for WR Tyrone Vaughns in 1983.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17659
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Wow. LSU now in the mix. Going to be a test for WF to land this kid.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:27 pm

And Giovanni LaFrance just got offered by the Razorbacks.

But isn't putting Scott at LSU with Fournette and the offense they run sort of like putting Jack Abraham in Fritz' offense? Just doesn't seem like LSU's style fits Scott's game.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:42 pm

RobertM320 wrote:And Giovanni LaFrance just got offered by the Razorbacks.

But isn't putting Scott at LSU with Fournette and the offense they run sort of like putting Jack Abraham in Fritz' offense? Just doesn't seem like LSU's style fits Scott's game.
True, all indications are Les Miles will "keep doing what he is doing," so if Scott wants to play QB & play as a freshman LSU would seem a bad choice?
User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:53 pm

RobertM320 wrote:And Giovanni LaFrance just got offered by the Razorbacks.

But isn't putting Scott at LSU with Fournette and the offense they run sort of like putting Jack Abraham in Fritz' offense? Just doesn't seem like LSU's style fits Scott's game.
LaFrance aleady had multiple ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 offers, so I don't see the Arkansas offer as groundbreaking. Maybe he goes there, maybe he doesn't, but I doubt it is the game-changer that LSU offering Scott is (or LSU offering LaFrance would be).
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:17 pm

OUG wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:And Giovanni LaFrance just got offered by the Razorbacks.

But isn't putting Scott at LSU with Fournette and the offense they run sort of like putting Jack Abraham in Fritz' offense? Just doesn't seem like LSU's style fits Scott's game.
LaFrance aleady had multiple ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 offers, so I don't see the Arkansas offer as groundbreaking. Maybe he goes there, maybe he doesn't, but I doubt it is the game-changer that LSU offering Scott is (or LSU offering LaFrance would be).
I don't see LSU offering Scott as a good fit for them. Smacks of desperation to me. And as soon as they find a 4 or 5* QB in next season's recruiting class, Scott's riding the pine. Is that what he's really looking for?
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
puffy
Surge
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm

If LSU makes Scott their #1 quarterback priority, I don't see how he turns them down. If he's lower on the totem pole, Tulane still might have a shot.
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1627
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:34 pm

puffy wrote:If LSU makes Scott their #1 quarterback priority, I don't see how he turns them down. If he's lower on the totem pole, Tulane still might have a shot.
Wrong, Scott surely knows he'll be discarded down the road when sMiles gets who he really wants. Scott will thrive at Tulane and rot in Baton Rouge.
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
anEngineer
High Tide
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Miles is in CYA mode. He assured his fans that he will have a QB in this recruiting class and after being turned down by everybody else, they just want a body. There is no indication that Cameron even knows how to run an offense with a QB like Scott. It's for Scott to determine if LSU's desire for him is legitimate and for Fritz to convince him that it is not. Miles sells the nice guy persona but he is in a corner, and will waste a kid to quiet his base if he has to. If he screws Tulane to do it, his base will love it that much more.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6418
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:20 pm

anEngineer wrote:Miles is in CYA mode. He assured his fans that he will have a QB in this recruiting class and after being turned down by everybody else, they just want a body. There is no indication that Cameron even knows how to run an offense with a QB like Scott. It's for Scott to determine if LSU's desire for him is legitimate and for Fritz to convince him that it is not. Miles sells the nice guy persona but he is in a corner, and will waste a kid to quiet his base if he has to. If he screws Tulane to do it, his base will love it that much more.
Until they find out he doesn't fit in their scheme. Then, they'll be on Miles again, but Scott's career will be shot. Basically, what Miles would do to Scott is about the same thing CJ did to Tanner Lee. Put him in a position NOT to succeed.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
puffy
Surge
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:42 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
anEngineer wrote:Miles is in CYA mode. He assured his fans that he will have a QB in this recruiting class and after being turned down by everybody else, they just want a body. There is no indication that Cameron even knows how to run an offense with a QB like Scott. It's for Scott to determine if LSU's desire for him is legitimate and for Fritz to convince him that it is not. Miles sells the nice guy persona but he is in a corner, and will waste a kid to quiet his base if he has to. If he screws Tulane to do it, his base will love it that much more.
Until they find out he doesn't fit in their scheme. Then, they'll be on Miles again, but Scott's career will be shot. Basically, what Miles would do to Scott is about the same thing CJ did to Tanner Lee. Put him in a position NOT to succeed.
I think next season is Miles' final one at LSU, barring an SEC championship and New Year Six Bowl game, which I feel are both unlikely given their quarterback situation.
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3824
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:00 pm

puffy wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
anEngineer wrote:Miles is in CYA mode. He assured his fans that he will have a QB in this recruiting class and after being turned down by everybody else, they just want a body. There is no indication that Cameron even knows how to run an offense with a QB like Scott. It's for Scott to determine if LSU's desire for him is legitimate and for Fritz to convince him that it is not. Miles sells the nice guy persona but he is in a corner, and will waste a kid to quiet his base if he has to. If he screws Tulane to do it, his base will love it that much more.
Until they find out he doesn't fit in their scheme. Then, they'll be on Miles again, but Scott's career will be shot. Basically, what Miles would do to Scott is about the same thing CJ did to Tanner Lee. Put him in a position NOT to succeed.
I think next season is Miles' final one at LSU, barring an SEC championship and New Year Six Bowl game, which I feel are both unlikely given their quarterback situation.
No one is winning an SEC Championship playing a true freshman quarterback.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7590
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:45 am

JerseyWave wrote:
puffy wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
anEngineer wrote:Miles is in CYA mode. He assured his fans that he will have a QB in this recruiting class and after being turned down by everybody else, they just want a body. There is no indication that Cameron even knows how to run an offense with a QB like Scott. It's for Scott to determine if LSU's desire for him is legitimate and for Fritz to convince him that it is not. Miles sells the nice guy persona but he is in a corner, and will waste a kid to quiet his base if he has to. If he screws Tulane to do it, his base will love it that much more.
Until they find out he doesn't fit in their scheme. Then, they'll be on Miles again, but Scott's career will be shot. Basically, what Miles would do to Scott is about the same thing CJ did to Tanner Lee. Put him in a position NOT to succeed.
I think next season is Miles' final one at LSU, barring an SEC championship and New Year Six Bowl game, which I feel are both unlikely given their quarterback situation.
No one is winning an SEC Championship playing a true freshman quarterback.
If I were a LSU fan, I would be thinking..."my gawd, things are so bad we have to have a QB that Tulane discarded take a visit here and one that they offered " !!! ...Scott does not fit the LSU offensive system and I do not see Cameron changing his philosophy to fit Scott, no matter what he or Miles tells him. I also think Miles is on his last hurrah with LSU, barring an SEC Championship and a final 4 appearance, he is gone and CJ will be the next head coach at LSU !!!! ( I had to add that just to start everyone's day off with a laff)
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1856
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:12 am

While I can't see us beating out LSU for a recruit in any other position I do think we stand a good chance with Scott. They were mighty late in offering and don't have the built-in new-coaching-staff excuse that we do.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:11 am

ajcalhoun wrote:While I can't see us beating out LSU for a recruit in any other position I do think we stand a good chance with Scott. They were mighty late in offering and don't have the built-in new-coaching-staff excuse that we do.
Scott has to feel slighted by LSU since only their 3rd choice for the QB position. LSU has now only turned to Scott after losing out on Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State) and Feleipe Franks (Florida). And, how does Scott in anyway fit the offensive scheme Les Miles has run since at LSU?
batonverde
Ripple
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:12 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 am

Lsu has 10 qb's on their roster and a 2 year starter with 2 years of eligibility left. I can't see Scott signing with lsu. The only way is if there's a big bag of cash. This whole situation for lsu and miles could be a big eye sore if he chooses to go elsewhere and especially if ends up at Tulane. I believe at this point miles will do and say anything to sign Scott not because he sees him as his qb, but bc he can. It's a lot of pressure on Scott not to sign with the hometown team and potentially the #1 signing class of 2016. I think and hope he pulls a RG3 and signs with the smaller private school.
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3824
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:25 pm

As I tweeted, if Scott goes to LSU to play quarterback, it will be on the scout team only. Good Luck!!!
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7590
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:28 pm

Ed writes a very solid piece of advice

http://sportsnola.com/lsu-or-tulane-for-lindsey-scott/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Post Reply