Justice McCoy - St. Aug QB Gets Tulane Offer commits to FAU

Talk about the latest recruits here.
GreenLantern
Riptide

St. Augustine Jr. QB Justice McCoy gets offer from Tulane (his first offer). (6'2", 180 lbs., 4.67 40)

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2581605/highlights

ajcalhoun
Swell

I'm not a saying stars mean everything but he currently, as a junior, has ZERO stars on sites like Rivals and 24/7.
God Bless Everyone!
Jonathan
Riptide

Stars mean a lot! . Top ten programs have all four and five star recruits. Tulane two and three stars.
Pepper
Swell

Stars sell magazines.
Since 2013 Memphis has 12 3 star players and 1 4 star player. They have 2 3 Star players committed this year.
Since 2013 Tulane has 15 3 star players and zero 4 stars. We have 2 3 Star commits as well.
Memphis won 10 games last year and is 4-0 this year.
It's about the coaching and commitment from the University. End of story.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Jaxwave
Swell

LOOKS LIKE HE STANDS TALL WITH GOOD FOOTWORK, HAS A GOOD RELEASE, NOT THE STRONGEST ARM AND INCONSISTENT IN HIS ACCURACY.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:LOOKS LIKE HE STANDS TALL WITH GOOD FOOTWORK, HAS A GOOD RELEASE, NOT THE STRONGEST ARM AND INCONSISTENT IN HIS ACCURACY.
Stands Tall ...with Good Footwork....Conroy you and your staff please look at this film !!!....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

Thanks for the link, GL. From it I clicked on the link to James Smith's recruiting chat where, when asked about Tulane's class, he responded,
It has been increasingly difficult to get accurate information from Tulane sources. They have been quite tight-lipped, making it hard to get a read on where things stand. It's rather frustrating to be honest.
Anybody know what's up with that? I hope it is that they are playing their cards close to the vest to prevent poaching, but I also fear that they just don't have any good news to report. I could see the program as it now stands being a tough sell.
God Bless Everyone!
GreenLantern
Riptide

St. Augustine 32, Jesuit 20

HOW IT WAS WON: St. Augustine forced Jesuit into five turnovers including an interception by Donniel Ward-Magee with 4:02 left to play at the St. Augustine 3-yard line.

STANDOUT PERFORMER: St. Augustine quarterback Justice McCoy finished with 322 yards passing and three touchdowns and rushed for 74 yards on 13 carries.
greenphantom
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Stars mean a lot! . Top ten programs have all four and five star recruits. Tulane two and three stars.
If there is any Justice to the recruiting rankings, he will be rated at least 3 stars.
DrBox
Riptide

Pepper wrote: It's about the coaching and commitment from the University. End of story.
And talent evaluation.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Decided to choose FAU over Tulane this evening. :oops: :evil:

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

This irritates me. I have faith in Fritz, but if we are forced to recruit a bunch of FCS players in January due to a lack of existing commits, I will be angry.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:This irritates me. I have faith in Fritz, but if we are forced to recruit a bunch of FCS players in January due to a lack of existing commits, I will be angry.
It's definitely frustrating that we can't seem to land a local skilled QB that would be a perfect fit for this offense. One that would have a great chance for immediate playing time. First Scott now McCoy.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote:It's definitely frustrating that we can't seem to land a local skilled QB that would be a perfect fit for this offense. One that would have a great chance for immediate playing time. First Scott now McCoy.
Exactly. Plus, it blows my mind that we are losing recruiting battles for players in our own backyard to Kansas, Vanderbilt, FAU, and similarly vaunted institutions.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As I have pointed out recently Kansas hired Warren Easton's HC to their staff. Vandy is in the SEC. As for FAU they have a new stadium that's small but still bigger than Tulane's and they have a new Athletic Center. You also have to remember that some of these kids may just want to get out of NOLA.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:As for FAU they have a new stadium that's small but still bigger than Tulane's and they have a new Athletic Center. You also have to remember that some of these kids may just want to get out of NOLA.
I would think a chance to start in your hometown right away and get a great degree would trump but I'd be mistaken. Their stadium is listed at 29K so that's not it. I don't know about anything else. Hopefully he makes a statement as to why he choose FAU over us. Maybe because our St Aug connection coaches left? Anything else is pure speculation. Here's my speculation I think opposition coaches are telling kids we are running a triple option. And that doesn't go over with today's youth. I know it's not true but that maybe the word on the street until we actually start to play games.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:As I have pointed out recently Kansas hired Warren Easton's HC to their staff. Vandy is in the SEC. As for FAU they have a new stadium that's small but still bigger than Tulane's and they have a new Athletic Center. You also have to remember that some of these kids may just want to get out of NOLA.
I would think a chance to start in your hometown and get a great degree would trump but I'd be mistaken.
I agree. WInwave, I know why Kansas received a bump in recruiting, but we should be more competitive with recruiting local athletes. Kansas and Vanderbilt are (almost) consistently at the bottom of their conferences, Kansas won no games last year, and Vanderbilt's head coach is on the hot seat and likely will be fired at the end of this season if there is not a turnaround. Tulane, in contrast, hired a (relatively) high profile G5 coach that has a history of winning, Tulane's academics are competitive or better with anyone at the FBS level aside from Stanford (depending on how one feels about Rice, Duke, and Vanderbilt), and most of these players grew up nearby and know players on Tulane's roster - Tulane should be making a bigger impact. The fact that Kansas has 2 local Louisiana players that are rated higher than any of our commits right on the 247 composite now (New Orleans and Marrero) is borderline embarrassing even if Kansas hired a local head coach as one of its assistant coaches. Heck, even Memphis has a Harvey commit that is rated higher than all of our commits except for one, and Houston has a Baton Rouge commit that's rated higher than all of our commits. We are sitting at #93 on the 247 composite team rankings, and I'm really starting to think that Fritz's decision to not hire a local head coach into his staff was a terrible one.

FYI - As of 7:53am CDT today, North Dakota State has a higher rated recruiting class than us.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: I agree. WInwave, I know why Kansas received a bump in recruiting, but we should be more competitive with recruiting local athletes. Kansas and Vanderbilt are (almost) consistently at the bottom of their conferences, Kansas won no games last year, and Vanderbilt's head coach is on the hot seat and likely will be fired at the end of this season if there is not a turnaround. Tulane, in contrast, hired a (relatively) high profile G5 coach that has a history of winning, Tulane's academics are competitive or better with anyone at the FBS level aside from Stanford (depending on how one feels about Rice, Duke, and Vanderbilt), and most of these players grew up nearby and know players on Tulane's roster - Tulane should be making a bigger impact. The fact that Kansas has 2 local Louisiana players that are rated higher than any of our commits right on the 247 composite now (New Orleans and Marrero) is borderline embarrassing even if Kansas hired a local head coach as one of its assistant coaches. Heck, even Memphis has a Harvey commit that is rated higher than all of our commits except for one, and Houston has a Baton Rouge commit that's rated higher than all of our commits. We are sitting at #93 on the 247 composite team rankings, and I'm really starting to think that Fritz's decision to not hire a local head coach into his staff was a terrible one.

FYI - As of 7:53am CDT today, North Dakota State has a higher rated recruiting class than us.
Until we start winning, regardless of the new coaches reputation, we're not going to be viewed as a better program than just about any other FBS in the country. There were some games in the past couple of years where playing in front of your hometown fans would be downright embarrassing. We can only change perception with wins.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:As for FAU they have a new stadium that's small but still bigger than Tulane's and they have a new Athletic Center. You also have to remember that some of these kids may just want to get out of NOLA.
I would think a chance to start in your hometown right away and get a great degree would trump but I'd be mistaken. Their stadium is listed at 29K so that's not it. I don't know about anything else. Hopefully he makes a statement as to why he choose FAU over us. Maybe because our St Aug connection coaches left? Anything else is pure speculation. Here's my speculation I think opposition coaches are telling kids we are running a triple option. And that doesn't go over with today's youth. I know it's not true but that maybe the word on the street until we actually start to play games.
Like I said there are plenty of kids from the city that want out and their parents want them out. Then there are the facility issues. FAU has bigger and better facilities. TD is trying to work on ours. We have a loooooong way to go there. Can't overcome a problem till you admit you have one.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:As I have pointed out recently Kansas hired Warren Easton's HC to their staff. Vandy is in the SEC. As for FAU they have a new stadium that's small but still bigger than Tulane's and they have a new Athletic Center. You also have to remember that some of these kids may just want to get out of NOLA.
I would think a chance to start in your hometown and get a great degree would trump but I'd be mistaken.
I agree. WInwave, I know why Kansas received a bump in recruiting, but we should be more competitive with recruiting local athletes. Kansas and Vanderbilt are (almost) consistently at the bottom of their conferences, Kansas won no games last year, and Vanderbilt's head coach is on the hot seat and likely will be fired at the end of this season if there is not a turnaround. Tulane, in contrast, hired a (relatively) high profile G5 coach that has a history of winning, Tulane's academics are competitive or better with anyone at the FBS level aside from Stanford (depending on how one feels about Rice, Duke, and Vanderbilt), and most of these players grew up nearby and know players on Tulane's roster - Tulane should be making a bigger impact. The fact that Kansas has 2 local Louisiana players that are rated higher than any of our commits right on the 247 composite now (New Orleans and Marrero) is borderline embarrassing even if Kansas hired a local head coach as one of its assistant coaches. Heck, even Memphis has a Harvey commit that is rated higher than all of our commits except for one, and Houston has a Baton Rouge commit that's rated higher than all of our commits. We are sitting at #93 on the 247 composite team rankings, and I'm really starting to think that Fritz's decision to not hire a local head coach into his staff was a terrible one.

As I posted above some kids want out of NOLA and their families want them out too. Secondly we haven't had a lot of success with the locals we did land. A lot of issues w/the ones from NOLA. Then there are the facility issues. They are real. Ours look more like HS than legit D1 facilities. That's on Tulane not WF. As for education people need to be honest. It gets lip service from every recruit but most think they are going to the NFL and it's just not a real priority. Remember you can't look at this through your eyes it has to be through the eyes of these 18 year olds. Last but not least is that the class isn't done yet. Let's see what happens.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Like I said there are plenty of kids from the city that want out and their parents want them out. Then there are the facility issues. FAU has bigger and better facilities. TD is trying to work on ours. We have a loooooong way to go there. Can't overcome a problem till you admit you have one.
We have two Frosh QBs signed, one has been here since spring. We also have a redshirt Soph, maybe he felt it would be easier to get playing time at FAU. Maybe there were academic concerns. BTW, he also turned down Memphis, WVU and SMU for FAU.
Pepper
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
We have two Frosh QBs signed, one has been here since spring. We also have a redshirt Soph, maybe he felt it would be easier to get playing time at FAU. Maybe there were academic concerns. BTW, he also turned down Memphis, WVU and SMU for FAU.
Boca is a pretty nice place and the campus and the proximity to the Atlantic is a good recruiting tool.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Pepper wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Boca is a pretty nice place and the campus and the proximity to the Atlantic is a good recruiting tool.
It's nice but basically a commuter school will horrid academics.

FYI, FAU stadium is about the same as Yulman. They already have a better locker room and weight room, YET, they are finishing up fundraising (may have broke ground idk) on a $50mm complex that will include a state of the art locker room, weight room, meeting rooms, academic support AND an IPF.

Tulane, tick tock tick tock.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau- ... story.html
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
anEngineer
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Pepper wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
It's nice but basically a commuter school will horrid academics.

FYI, FAU stadium is about the same as Yulman. They already have a better locker room and weight room, YET, they are finishing up fundraising (may have broke ground idk) on a $50 complex that will include a state of the art locker room, weight room, meeting rooms, academic support AND an IPF.

Tulane, tick tock tick tock.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau- ... story.html
They won't get much for $50.