Justice McCoy - St. Aug QB Gets Tulane Offer commits to FAU

Talk about the latest recruits here.
DrBox
Riptide

Do we know that he had a current Tulane offer? That was a CJ offer. This applies to all recruits that we "didn't get" (although some are obvious that we really wanted); it also applies when we think we "beat out team X) -sometimes it's true, sometimes it isn't. Offer lists aren't current.

Fritz's recruiting last year was fine; he even jettisoned some pretty good local players we had.
We have young coaches, including one from New Orleans. I'm sure we're recruiting who we want here.
Some of the guys who let the program wanted to stay (Leondre James, e.g.).

CJ took a lot of leeway on academics...my guess is that Fritz isn't doing that. That may have been a reason for some (not all) of the jettisoning last December.

CJ had a ton of filler in his classes, so let's not go overboard on the lamentations.
Last edited by DrBox on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
winwave wrote:It's a shame that some would rather hurl hate than acknowledge a serious issue.
Who hurled hate? I didn't even hurl dislike. I merely pointed out the obvious. If you don't think there was at least a tiny bit of resentment among CJ's friends and contacts then you're just being naive.
Wasn't about you aj.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:Do we know that he had a current Tulane offer? That was a CJ offer. This applies to all recruits that we "didn't get" (although some are obvious that we really wanted); it also applies when we think we "beat out team X) -sometimes it's true, sometimes it isn't. Offer lists aren't current.

Fritz's recruiting last year was fine; he even jettisoned some pretty good local players we had.
We have young coaches, including one from New Orleans. I'm sure we're recruiting who we want here.
Some of the guys who let the program wanted to stay (Leondre James, e.g.).

CJ took a lot of leeway on academics...my guess is that Fritz isn't doing that. That may have been a reason for some (not all) of the jettisoning last December.

CJ had a ton of filler in his classes, so let's not go overboard on the lamentations.
Assuming that's true, that raises the question of whether we still have academic restrictions that are hurting us relative to our peers.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:It's a joke by those who continue to blame facilities for failure in this case. It shows lack of knowledge and the continuation to steer a false narrative that is created every time some kid chooses another school over Tulane. The kid was tight with former St Aug coach David Johnson who gave him his first offer. Once CJ and Johnson was let go there's was no way he was coming to Tulane. Plain and simple. For all I know WF didn't even pursue this kid.
I'm not sure what you are suggesting, but would you like to put forth an idea as to why recruiting is at sub-Bob Toledo levels right now? Because it's more than just this kid.
It's simple: we were one of the worst programs in the country, and got embarrassed in quite a few games the last few years. Willie Fritz doesn't have the "pelts on the wall" yet to overcome the fact that we've stunk up the joint for the better part of this century, and he's running an offense that other coaches will use against him.

Wins change perception. Perception IS reality to these kids (and their parents). CJ recruited a lot of 3 and 2 star kids that weren't academically ready for Tulane. It doesn't mean we're not getting them in, it means they can't succeed in the classroom. Fritz doesn't want to lose kids to bad grades. He's probably not even recruiting a lot of the class of '17 that CJ offered.

Yet, JJ, you were arguing vehemently that this team should get to bowl eligible and had a shot at 8-10 wins! I'd love it if you were right, because all of the sudden an 8 win team that's on an obvious upswing would be attractive to recruits.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V