Three Star QB Jack Abraham

Talk about the latest recruits here.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Jack has led his Oxford Chargers to the state championships for the third straight year by beating West Point 35-7 Friday night. The game will be played at Ole Miss' Vaught Hemingway stadium next Friday at 7pm.

Jack passed for 332 yards and three touchdowns while throwing one int.

Jack's favorite target has been D.K. Metcalf, a 5-star recruit who you will see play at Ole Miss next year. If the name sounds familiar, Metcalf's father was Terrence, an all-American at Ole Miss who was drafted by the Chicago Bears in 2002.

It will be very interesting to see how things play out with Jack's Tulane commitment. He is scheduled to enroll for the spring semester but there will be some significant changes before then. In any case, I've enjoyed watching the OHS Chargers this year and I wish them well in the state championship game against Wayne County.

JerseyWave
Riptide

Andrew Lopez tweeted that Abraham is still committed to Tulane and planning on enrolling in January.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Congratulations to Jack Abraham for being selected Mississippi High School Player of the Year!

GreenLantern
Riptide

Here's a link to the Southern Elite Sports story about Jack's selection as Mississippi HS player of the year (Mr. Elite).

Jack may or may not decommit to Tulane depending upon the coach we hire but all of his posts indicate that he is steadfast. Without a doubt selecting the right coach is much more important than keeping any single recruit, but I would really like to see this kid in green. Sometimes you get a feeling when you watch a high school kid that he is destined for something big. As a Slidell native, I had that kind of feeling when I watched Matt Forte at Slidell High in the early 2000s. I believe that Jack Abraham is going to be a big success somewhere. Hope it is at Tulane.

The MS 5A state championship game is Saturday night at 7pm and will be aired on TV in some areas. It will also be broadcast on radio and may be streamed. I'll get more info and pass it along if any of you are interested.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Another impressive accolade:
Here's a link to the USA Today story. The article states that Jack has a 3.98 GPA.

Last edited by GreenLantern on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert1969
Riptide

Most impressive thing about those stats is that touchdown to int ratio. WOW!
ExileWave
Surge

Robert1969 wrote:Most impressive thing about those stats is that touchdown to int ratio. WOW!
Congratulations to young Mr. Abraham. BUT he is a pure pro drop back passer- his stats show 63 career rushes for (-72) yards so he NOT a dual threat QB. His commitment may depend on the coach we hire and the offense he runs. Everyone seems to want run and gun.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jack-ab ... -stats.htm
GreenLantern
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:Most impressive thing about those stats is that touchdown to int ratio. WOW!
Congratulations to young Mr. Abraham. BUT he is a pure pro drop back passer- his stats show 63 career rushes for (-72) yards so he NOT a dual threat QB. His commitment may depend on the coach we hire and the offense he runs. Everyone seems to want run and gun.

You're spot on. The next coach will have a decision to make (as will Jack). As I had mentioned earlier:
Is Jack too small to be a star in FBS football? Perhaps, but it's hard to argue with the success he's enjoyed at the 5A HS level. For those of you who believe that the QB must have running skills to excel at Tulane, Jack is not your man. Supporting this opinion, the list of 'pro-style' QB prospects on the Rivals.com list shows the shortest is 6-2 and the higher ranked players are 6-4 and 6-5. (Jack is listed at 6'1", but I'm guessing he is 5'11".
GreenLantern
Riptide

Parade magazine's exclusive All=America Player of the Year award is coming to a close and Jack Abraham has made the list of 10 finalists. Previous winners have included Emmitt Smith and Herschel Walker. QBs like Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel have all made past team lists.

Here's a link to the Parade Magazine article.

Keep in mind that Jack's 5A MS state championship game is tomorrow night at 7 in Ole Miss stadium. If he has another storybook performance, that will go a long way toward making a favorable impression for the Parade magazine honor.
GreenLantern
Riptide

In the state championship game, Oxford leads 28-17. Jack Abraham has thrown for 318 yards and the second quarter is barely underway. Unbelievable.
GreenLantern
Riptide

At halftime, Oxford leads 28-17. Jack's passing stats: 20 of 25 for 333 yards and no ints. Seriously.
wave97
Swell

ExileWave wrote:

EXACTLY! The run and gun is really fun to watch when playing against mediocre talent on the opposing defense and marginal coaching.
I wish Jack all the success in the world with whatever team he winds up with because we seem to be drunk with the notion that a spread variation offense will be our salvation.
GreenLantern
Riptide

wave97 wrote:...we seem to be drunk with the notion that a spread variation offense will be our salvation.
I can't speak for the intoxicated state of others. I'm just enjoying a great high school state championship game starring a kid that has had a stellar career and a Hollywood-scripted season. I haven't had this much fun following Tulane games in over a decade.
Robert1969
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:

Jack Abraham is enough for me to back Jack Brohm. Brohm's QB at WKU also has negative rushing yards, which means his system is not dual-threat dependent. We need a pro-Brohm movement here. I was for Lincoln Riley, and wouldn't exactly turn my nose up at him. But I think Brohm can work with the talent we have and the talent we have coming in.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:
ExileWave wrote:

Jack Abraham is enough for me to back Jack Brohm. Brohm's QB at WKU also has negative rushing yards, which means his system is not dual-threat dependent. We need a pro-Brohm movement here. I was for Lincoln Riley, and wouldn't exactly turn my nose up at him. But I think Brohm can work with the talent we have and the talent we have coming in.
I'm w/you. I have been bringing him up w/Monken all along. If we're not going after them then we are still going cheap.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Despite setting a school record for a single game passing yardage, Jack's team falls short 45-41 to lose the MS state 5A championship to Wayne Co. Exciting game and season.
wave97
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:
ExileWave wrote:

WKU plays teams that can't field enough talent to credibly show man-to-man with lb's & db's on every play (while bringing pressure from up front). When they do play teams like LSU they are shut down tactically by the overall difference in talent, but they are also shut down strategically when it becomes a man to man slug fest which the "spread" simply has no answer for (short of exposing the QB to a high degree of punishment).
If only Temple had man to man skill with their LB's & DB's the Conference Championship game would have ended differently. Houston has a defense with hybrid LB's & DB's that I bet beats the stuffing out of their offense in practice. Tulane currently has most of the talent needed on defense to shut down the spread variations. We need a little more strength & experience with the corners and safety.
The AAC is a conference that I think will soon attract sufficient talent across the board to rise above the fundamental strategic vulnerabilities of the "spread" variation offenses.
YES, I want Ed Orgeron as Head Football Coach at Tulane. BeBe gets it!
Robert1969
Riptide

wave97 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
ExileWave wrote:

WKU plays teams that can't field enough talent to credibly show man-to-man with lb's & db's on every play (while bringing pressure from up front). When they do play teams like LSU they are shut down tactically by the overall difference in talent, but they are also shut down strategically when it becomes a man to man slug fest which the "spread" simply has no answer for (short of exposing the QB to a high degree of punishment).
If only Temple had man to man skill with their LB's & DB's the Conference Championship game would have ended differently. Houston has a defense with hybrid LB's & DB's that I bet beats the stuffing out of their offense in practice. Tulane currently has most of the talent needed on defense to shut down the spread variations. We need a little more strength & experience with the corners and safety.
The AAC is a conference that I think will soon attract sufficient talent across the board to rise above the fundamental strategic vulnerabilities of the "spread" variation offenses.
YES, I want Ed Orgeron as Head Football Coach at Tulane. BeBe gets it!
WKU attracts the same kind of talent as the teams they face. You don't rule a successful coach out because of the talent he faces. If you did that then FCS coaches would never rise to FBS and G5 coaches would never rise to P5. Brohm is successful with that talent he has, which is commiserate with the talent he faces on a regular basis, and he just finished WKU's best season since moving to FBS.
GreenLantern
Riptide

What a season and what an ending for Jack's Oxford Chargers.

Trailing 45-41 with 1:17 left in the game, Jack led a 53 yard drive in 9 plays to setup a second and goal from the 10. He spiked the ball to stop the clock. Then chaos ensued. Here's the story from the Oxford Eagle:
Quarterback Jack Abraham scrambled to the 1 but stretched the ball to hit the pylon on his way out of bounds. Officials ruled Abraham stepped out short, and with 4 ticks left, wideout D.K. Metcalf got the handoff and tried to beat the War Eagles’ defense to the perimeter. Metcalf stretched out his 6-3 frame as he fell to the turf, but the referees again ruled Metcalf short as time expired, sending Wayne County’s players and coaches rushing onto the field in jubilation while leaving the Chargers in shock. “(Abraham) was in,” Oxford coach Johnny Hill said.
Several pictures (see below) clearly show that Jack touched the pylon with the ball before going out of bounds. He broke his collarbone on the attempt.

The other picture shows Metcalf extending the ball over the goal line with no part of his body on the ground. He also was ruled to be down before breaking the plane of the goal line.

Apparently poor officiating is not exclusive to the Wave and the Saints. Oxford definitely got hosed.

According to Jack's father, his collarbone is broken but will not require surgery. Jack will not be able to play in the MS-AL all star game but he still plans to attend.

Abraham's game stats: 35 pass completions of 52 attempts for 550 yards; 4TD and 1int.

Jack touches the pylon before his left hand touched the ground OB:

Last play - Metcalf extends beyond the goal line before touching the ground:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hate to hear about the collarbone injury.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Jack at the AL-MS All Star game. Check out the tee!

Jaxwave
Swell

Looking at the two potential scores, playing Devil's Advocate, you can't tell when Abraham's left hand hit out of bounds relative to the time the ball hit the pylon. It could have touched down prior to his hitting the pylon.

In the next picture, you would need a picture right down the goal line to see whether that ball is breaking the plane when his hip hits the ground which was going to happen a millisecond later. Neither picture makes it obvious that a score had occurred and certainly any fair person would say those were tough calls for the officials just based on those two pictures.

More importantly Jack will certainly need to get on a good weight program to take the hits he will take in college (especially if our OL doesn't improve.) He is pretty frail. Looks like a 13 year-old's body.But wow what a career for anyone much less someone of his size.
KsWave
Low Tide

Jaxwave
Swell

Would like to see what Brees body type was.
ExileWave
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:Would like to see what Brees body type was.
Jax the pictures above #15 Chaps is Brees in HS in 1997.