4 DBs less than 171 lbs!

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Jaxwave
Swell

2 RBs at 166 and 144 lbs No QB in the class with only 2 Division I calibre QBs returning, neither with more than one year of experience. Try to imagine winning a game next year if Lee sustains an injury. Didn't think so.

Looks to me like this coach has fallen into the trap that the last few football and basketball coaches have fallen into, namely "too hard to recruit to Tulane." They eventually lose the initial excitement and hope when they realize the lack of commitment from above and take the path of least resistance in recruiting, settling into finishing out their contracts without great effort at turning things around.

We've seen this a few times, haven't we? How much are we playing this guy? Did someone say a million per year? He barely leaves the city to recruit, isn't involved in the offensive or defensive play calling and cancels valuable practice sessions in the spring. Are you kidding me? Nobody's fault but Tulane's. Just quit calling me for donations.

Profoundwizard
Swell

Jordan Batiste came in as a freshman and was pretty good. He was listed at 169. Marley was a 180 lb linebacker who came in and was really good as a freshman. We are already 3 deep at RB so I'm not sure how much we'll need those 2 this season.
Eaglewave
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:2 RBs at 166 and 144 lbs No QB in the class with only 2 Division I calibre QBs returning, neither with more than one year of experience. Try to imagine winning a game next year if Lee sustains an injury. Didn't think so.
You say that as if we had a good record last season. In fact, Lee has only won 1 game vs a FBS team while healthy.
Ball Sumrall!
sader24
Tsunami

Whatever the case with the team discipline, coaching, offensive philosophy, nobody who has two eyes and can see can say the talent level hasn't risen substantially since CJ has gotten here. They've done a great job evaluating talent and finding guys who can play. Lee was a Freshman last year and I can't see him not improving. Badie and Hilliard are Sophs and are both extremely talented. Jones the TE was a steal and we were LSU getting 1 more kid away from Getting Moreau which would've given us 2 really good, big, and talented TEs. Chris Taylor is a beast, Santa Marina was highly rated. Diaz is small but will be good. LaFrance, Smart, Daren Williams, Aruna, Ed Williams, Marley, etc. Nickerson, Monroe, etc. The talent level here has been upgraded by a great deal. Whatever the recruiting ranking of the class the one thing I can't complain about thus far in CJ's tenure has been recruiting or talent evaluation. Forgot about the WR's who I think will be a good bunch.
Robert1969
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:2 RBs at 166 and 144 lbs
If only someone would invent some sort of exercise equipment that allowed smaller guys to work out and grow some muscles to put on some weight. If only that were possible.
Jaxwave
Swell

If Tulane had a solid red shirt program it would help. Of course they can grow but inevitably Tulane plays their defensive personnel before they are ready leading to bad defenses and exposing them to injury.

An additional point I neglected to make was the lack of front 7 recruits. I judge every Tulane recruiting class first by their DL and LB recruits as historically we have lost to injury or attrition players at those positions and as we compete in a better conference keeping the numbers up at those positions is critical.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I wouldn't worry too much about size. Tulane in the Toledo days passed on many kids because of lack of size. One being Damaris Johnson who went to Tulsa and killed us 4 years in a row. He's still 5'6" 165lbs and now plays in the NFL for the Houston Texans. They have him listed at 5'8" 175lbs. Lol.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TU23
High Tide

Parry Nickerson showed up at 157lbs and he's worked out ok. I'm far less concerned about kids who need to put on 15-20lbs, which will be easy, and far more concerned about the ones who weigh 340-350. Those kids need to find a way to show up in the 320-325 range to make an impact this year.
TXWave88
Surge

sader24 wrote:Whatever the case with the team discipline, coaching, offensive philosophy, nobody who has two eyes and can see can say the talent level hasn't risen substantially since CJ has gotten here. They've done a great job evaluating talent and finding guys who can play. Lee was a Freshman last year and I can't see him not improving. Badie and Hilliard are Sophs and are both extremely talented. Jones the TE was a steal and we were LSU getting 1 more kid away from Getting Moreau which would've given us 2 really good, big, and talented TEs. Chris Taylor is a beast, Santa Marina was highly rated. Diaz is small but will be good. LaFrance, Smart, Daren Williams, Aruna, Ed Williams, Marley, etc. Nickerson, Monroe, etc. The talent level here has been upgraded by a great deal. Whatever the recruiting ranking of the class the one thing I can't complain about thus far in CJ's tenure has been recruiting or talent evaluation. Forgot about the WR's who I think will be a good bunch.
I think CJ has increased our talent overall as a team. Our defensive talent is 100% clearly better. Offensive talent has improved since Toledo, but how low can the bar go. I do not think our offensive talent is any better off than the 10 years before Toledo so I am not impressed there. We have good RB's who could be great if we didnt spread out the carries so much and had a more consistent OLine. We have some individual players that may/can/will be better on an individual offensive position, but overall, this is pretty much getting back to where we were before Toledo showed up which wasn't winning football. I think the biggest reason for this is coaching though. The defensive side gives these players a lot more opportunities to shine and play with confidence. The offense just doesnt click after the first few drives so how can several players reach potential. The real good players will find a way to show some glimpses, but it will be real tough for the average player to become a good player and contributor without the opportunities.
51WaveBG
High Tide

Our offense in 2014 was one of the worst in Division I and yet, CJ didn't see fit to make any changes. Is he happy with being 3-9? A good head coach would demand more of his staff and get rid of them if they did not produce. He probably will have pretty much the same 3-9 results in 2015 and I doubt if any real changes will be made. Our defense and defensive staff are doing their job and doing it well, but, they can only do so much. Points on the board are what counts on offense and nothing else. A competent AD's message to CJ would be "Win or you are history." Will it happen? Is our A/D competent? NO & NO!
Jonathan
Riptide

We Tulane is one of the worst football and men's basketball teams /programs in the nation for 50 years. We have about 30 loyal fan followers on both Tulane fan forum websites posting about our losers! You go on LSU A&M SEC sites where they have thousands on line every day. Fire Dickson,Conroy and CJ. Get real!
gibnived8
Ripple

Jaxwave wrote:If Tulane had a solid red shirt program it would help. Of course they can grow but inevitably Tulane plays their defensive personnel before they are ready leading to bad defenses and exposing them to injury.

An additional point I neglected to make was the lack of front 7 recruits. I judge every Tulane recruiting class first by their DL and LB recruits as historically we have lost to injury or attrition players at those positions and as we compete in a better conference keeping the numbers up at those positions is critical.
Please name those players...
Wave QB
Swell

sader24 wrote:Whatever the case with the team discipline, coaching, offensive philosophy, nobody who has two eyes and can see can say the talent level hasn't risen substantially since CJ has gotten here. They've done a great job evaluating talent and finding guys who can play. Lee was a Freshman last year and I can't see him not improving. Badie and Hilliard are Sophs and are both extremely talented. Jones the TE was a steal and we were LSU getting 1 more kid away from Getting Moreau which would've given us 2 really good, big, and talented TEs. Chris Taylor is a beast, Santa Marina was highly rated. Diaz is small but will be good. LaFrance, Smart, Daren Williams, Aruna, Ed Williams, Marley, etc. Nickerson, Monroe, etc. The talent level here has been upgraded by a great deal. Whatever the recruiting ranking of the class the one thing I can't complain about thus far in CJ's tenure has been recruiting or talent evaluation. Forgot about the WR's who I think will be a good bunch.

All of that is good, but we need to win games.
Jaxwave
Swell

gibnived8 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:If Tulane had a solid red shirt program it would help. Of course they can grow but inevitably Tulane plays their defensive personnel before they are ready leading to bad defenses and exposing them to injury.

To address the first part of the statement with regard to bad defenses I'll simply list just about every Tulane defense for the last 40 years most of which had at the very least some young undersized defensive starters. To come up with those young players who played too early and were injured I would need access to the rosters for those years along with the weekly injury reports.

To convince you empirically that I am absolutely accurate on an internet forum post just isn't high enough on my my list of priorities to do the research. If we were in a debate club in high school I might but we 're not so I'll spend that time perusing this and other internet forums for my own enjoyment making posts that I believe to be accurate without the responsibility of having to prove myself. I will certainly be willing to apologize to you and take back my post if you would prove to me that there were no young undersized defensive contributors on those teams who as they were playing were not exposed to injury on every play.

Don't know how to attach a smiley face or I would.
ajcalhoun
Swell

gibnived8

Did seven other people grab the name dived in big backwards before you? Just curious.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Robert1969 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:2 RBs at 166 and 144 lbs
If only someone would invent some sort of exercise equipment that allowed smaller guys to work out and grow some muscles to put on some weight. If only that were possible.
by the time the first "game day" program is printed all of them will be 190 lbs
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:gibnived8

Did seven other people grab the name dived in big backwards before you? Just curious.
My guess is, its "big devin 8"
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:

That makes more sense. Thanks.
God Bless Everyone!
gibnived8
Ripple

Jaxwave wrote:
gibnived8 wrote:

To address the first part of the statement with regard to bad defenses I'll simply list just about every Tulane defense for the last 40 years most of which had at the very least some young undersized defensive starters. To come up with those young players who played too early and were injured I would need access to the rosters for those years along with the weekly injury reports.

To convince you empirically that I am absolutely accurate on an internet forum post just isn't high enough on my my list of priorities to do the research. If we were in a debate club in high school I might but we 're not so I'll spend that time perusing this and other internet forums for my own enjoyment making posts that I believe to be accurate without the responsibility of having to prove myself. I will certainly be willing to apologize to you and take back my post if you would prove to me that there were no young undersized defensive contributors on those teams who as they were playing were not exposed to injury on every play.

Don't know how to attach a smiley face or I would.
This is now not then, you cant really say that anymore.
gibnived8
Ripple

ajcalhoun wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

That makes more sense. Thanks.
exactly, fav # growing up
wave97
Swell

gibnived8 wrote:

Sadly, we can count on Tanzel Smart and/or Sean Wilson wasting away if no relief is brought to the depth chart.