Recruits.

Talk about the latest recruits here.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pullinmyhairout wrote:http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footba ... erence=AAC

247sports has Tulane with the 7th ranked signing class in the conference.
based on this site it looks like USF...ECU....UCF have the top three classes.... I post this because of the total number of recruits signed in relation to the number of "3 star" rated players...hell Cincy signed 27 , Memphis signed 32...ECU only 14...so the "total ranking index" number can be somewhat skewed

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Our recruiting coordinator came out last night to our GB meeting. He told us we landed everyone we wanted except Moreau and Dale. And Dale is still out there. Said we have a profile similar to what the Saints use in a draft. They target a certain type kid that they think can handle a Tulane education. So their ability to succeed both on the field and in the classroom still play a major factor in who we target. Said we fill needs by position. On defense we play a 4-2-5. That's why we signed so many DB's. Our new LB coach Doug L will be responsible for coaching two players that start on defense.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Our recruiting coordinator came out last night to our GB meeting. He told us we landed everyone we wanted except Moreau and Dale. And Dale is still out there. Said we have a profile similar to what the Saints use in a draft. They target a certain type kid that they think can handle a Tulane education. So their ability to succeed both on the field and in the classroom still play a major factor in who we target. Said we fill needs by position. On defense we play a 4-2-5. That's why we signed so many DB's. Our new LB coach Doug L will be responsible for coaching two players that start on defense.
That maybe "two"... too many !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Then Doug L should have plenty of time to focus on Special Teams. Get the long snap down and accurate, that should be his first priority.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
51WaveBG
High Tide

@ this point, we don't have a competent long snapper and we did not recruit one in this class. How do we solve this problem?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

51WaveBG wrote:@ this point, we don't have a competent long snapper and we did not recruit one in this class. How do we solve this problem?
There is an easy solution...MAKE FIRST DOWNS so you do not have to punt....but then again, we do have the PriceLess bros in charge
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Interesting GB last night. One of our guest was a former scout for Rivals. If people only knew what went into their ratings you wouldn't believe it. He told us 247 is far and away the most accurate. He said there are no standards when it come to rating players by different scouts. One scout in the West may give a guy 3 stars while a scout in the East may give that same player a 4 or a 2 star. He said 247sports has a more uniform way of grading players. And it is true many times if a P5 school offers a 2 star they bump them up to a 3 star. He said it's impossible to grade out every recruit nationwide. The whole thing is a big money grab. Many schools pay these services for either info or to boost their class. If they subscribe they usually get the benefit of higher grades. So he said take the ratings with a grain of salt.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Our staff has proven to be good talent evaluators. Marley and Nickerson on defense were undervalued big time. On offense our three running backs, Badie, Thompson and Hilliard were all undervalued. CJ, so far, has failed to find a quality wide receiver. I'm disappointed with Breaux and Veal. The coaches haven't done a good enough job coaching up the offense. And it was difficult to overcome Drive Killer Donnelly and Pick Six Lee.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Our staff has proven to be good talent evaluators. Marley and Nickerson on defense were undervalued big time. On offense our three running backs, Badie, Thompson and Hilliard were all undervalued. CJ, so far, has failed to find a quality wide receiver. I'm disappointed with Breaux and Veal. The coaches haven't done a good enough job coaching up the offense. And it was difficult to overcome Drive Killer Donnelly and Pick Six Lee.
While I cannot argue with most of your post, I can say that I thought Teddy Veal, and to a certain extent, Lee showed signs of being real playmakers. Unfortunately, they could also be play-breakers, which they showed. We're going to ride Lee for three more years, we can only hope the coaching staff can bring out his true talents. He does have a very live arm.

Which makes the decision to keep the Price brothers (no relation) all the more critical. It could be the game changer that costs CJ his job, or makes him look like a genius that fooled us all.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Our staff has proven to be good talent evaluators. Marley and Nickerson on defense were undervalued big time. On offense our three running backs, Badie, Thompson and Hilliard were all undervalued. CJ, so far, has failed to find a quality wide receiver. I'm disappointed with Breaux and Veal. The coaches haven't done a good enough job coaching up the offense. And it was difficult to overcome Drive Killer Donnelly and Pick Six Lee.
Agree on the first part, disagree on the second part. I think Veal and Encalade will end up being outstanding, and that's to say nothing of James who looks like he'll be a pretty decent college WR. I think it's clear that Tanner Lee, regardless of how he played last year, was also highly undervalued. The way he played vs Tulsa and Ga Tech he looked like a 4 star recruit at least. Could add Sean Wilson to the list of highly underrated. Doss and Chris Taylor were both 3 star guys who play like 4 star guys.

In evaluating CJ as a recruiter, it's hard not to lose sight that he's doing this with one hand tied behind his back, if not two. He doesn't have competitive facilities and both recruits and the general public have completely and utterly rejected the "Tulane Model", which remains firmly in place and CJ seems to have signed onto (he confirmed as much re: Lichtenberger). As far as talent evaluation, he and his staff have done exceptionally well. Despite all the institutional handicaps, the talent level on the roster has been dramatically upgraded in 4 years. Everything else remains in question.
greenphantom
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Agree on the first part, disagree on the second part. I think Veal and Encalade will end up being outstanding, and that's to say nothing of James who looks like he'll be a pretty decent college WR. I think it's clear that Tanner Lee, regardless of how he played last year, was also highly undervalued. The way he played vs Tulsa and Ga Tech he looked like a 4 star recruit at least. Could add Sean Wilson to the list of highly underrated. Doss and Chris Taylor were both 3 star guys who play like 4 star guys.

In evaluating CJ as a recruiter, it's hard not to lose sight that he's doing this with one hand tied behind his back, if not two. He doesn't have competitive facilities and both recruits and the general public have completely and utterly rejected the "Tulane Model", which remains firmly in place and CJ seems to have signed onto (he confirmed as much re: Lichtenberger). As far as talent evaluation, he and his staff have done exceptionally well. Despite all the institutional handicaps, the talent level on the roster has been dramatically upgraded in 4 years. Everything else remains in question.
Agree. Veal and Lee were not really ready for their roles this past year but I expect big improvement in 2015. In Veal's case, he would have done well as the 3rd receiver but with injuries to Shack and Rush, he was put into a tough spot. Looks like he could be an all conference WR at some point in his career. Lee, has nice tools but showed he is still a raw talent. Breaux's season was very disappointing. Seems like he never recovered early drops. Need him to bounce back as he's such a great athlete.
kingcole
Low Tide

If recruiting sites are Gospel then Bama has won big for the last 5 years or so and should never lose a game. They also have gotten the #1 or #2 passing QB in the nation every year but QB looks like their biggest problem. The math just don't add up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Agree. Veal and Lee were not really ready for their roles this past year but I expect big improvement in 2015. In Veal's case, he would have done well as the 3rd receiver but with injuries to Shack and Rush, he was put into a tough spot. Looks like he could be an all conference WR at some point in his career. Lee, has nice tools but showed he is still a raw talent. Breaux's season was very disappointing. Seems like he never recovered early drops. Need him to bounce back as he's such a great athlete.
The new WR's coach can prove himself right out the gate. James could be the best of them. Breaux has all kinds of talent. If he gets them to reach their potential he could save CJ.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Our recruiting coordinator came out last night to our GB meeting. He told us we landed everyone we wanted except Moreau and Dale. And Dale is still out there. Said we have a profile similar to what the Saints use in a draft. They target a certain type kid that they think can handle a Tulane education. So their ability to succeed both on the field and in the classroom still play a major factor in who we target. Said we fill needs by position. On defense we play a 4-2-5. That's why we signed so many DB's. Our new LB coach Doug L will be responsible for coaching two players that start on defense.
TPS, was he high on any specific kids?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:
TPS, was he high on any specific kids?
Yes. Smart, Brown and Block.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Read that smart double signed w/KIlgore college. I guess there might be academic issues. anyone know anything else on that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
MicMan
Swell

Double signed???
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He signed w/Tulane and Kilgore which is a Texas JC.
Jonathan
Riptide

Let me repeat we signed a pathetic class. Ony seven 247 Sports three star athletes versus 13 last year three stars and one four star. We are far behind La Tech and U La La in three star athletes this year and are near the bottom of the AAC in our recruiting class ranking. After only three wins last year and the Prices not being fired I have problems with CJ. We are number four this year in Louisiana in our recruiting class. Not good! Before Scelfo,Toledo and CJ, we were always number two to LSU A&M.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Let me repeat we signed a pathetic class. Ony seven 247 Sports three star athletes versus 13 last year three stars and one four star. We are far behind La Tech and U La La in three star athletes this year and are near the bottom of the AAC in our recruiting class ranking. After only three wins last year and the Prices not being fired I have problems with CJ. We are number four this year in Louisiana in our recruiting class. Not good! Before Scelfo,Toledo and CJ, we were always number two to LSU A&M.
Tulane is, at minimum, 2 seasons away from having the second best Louisiana class, and Tulane is probably closer to 4 years away. Changing the perception of an institution takes time, regardless of on the field performance. For example, look at Baylor - it has been the best TX program over the last 5 years, it has one of the best coaches in the nation, and it can't sign a top 25 recruiting class.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

CJ was in studio guest last night on Fourth Down on Four. He repeated that this was his best class. Said that some of the DB's will start as well as a WR or two. Many of the 17 signed will play and contribute. When asked about his QB's he said that the three are as good as any around the country. He said academics plays a big part of who we target. Said he has to find the right kids that are both talented and that can handle Tulane's academics.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote:CJ was in studio guest last night on Fourth Down on Four. He repeated that this was his best class. Said that some of the DB's will start as well as a WR or two. Many of the 17 signed will play and contribute. When asked about his QB's he said that the three are as good as any around the country. He said academics plays a big part of who we target. Said he has to find the right kids that are both talented and that can handle Tulane's academics.
This. A lot of posters forget that Tulane targets academically inclined students, and, because of that, Tulane will probably never have a super high ranked class unless it removes barriers to entry for less academically inclined students - and that won't happen.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:CJ was in studio guest last night on Fourth Down on Four. He repeated that this was his best class. Said that some of the DB's will start as well as a WR or two. Many of the 17 signed will play and contribute. When asked about his QB's he said that the three are as good as any around the country. He said academics plays a big part of who we target. Said he has to find the right kids that are both talented and that can handle Tulane's academics.

I call on all Universities that are "tied at the hip" with Tulane to have a total overhaul of their athletic goals in relation to academics...Notre Dame, TCU, Baylor, Northwestern, Stanford, Duke, Wake Forest, USC, BYU, SMU, Vanderbilt, Army, Navy, Air Force, let the message go forth.....OH wait !! you guys are tied at the hip and Tulane is on a bungee cord .. I am so sick of this academic krap, hell Tulane is not that f^@%!ng hard !!!!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
This. A lot of posters forget that Tulane targets academically inclined students, and, because of that, Tulane will probably never have a super high ranked class unless it removes barriers to entry for less academically inclined students - and that won't happen.
So we'll spend $80M on a stadium, but we won't move pointless red tape that serves no purpose and could be fixed overnight. I'm sure the future of the university is safe with logic like that. If we aren't taking the basic steps towards winning, why aren't the pitchforks out?

Tulane will literally be bankrupt and still looking down it's nose at others who just don't understand its institutional brilliance.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:

I call on all Universities that are "tied at the hip" with Tulane to have a total overhaul of their athletic goals in relation to academics...Notre Dame, TCU, Baylor, Northwestern, Stanford, Duke, Wake Forest, USC, BYU, SMU, Vanderbilt, Army, Navy, Air Force, let the message go forth.....OH wait !! you guys are tied at the hip and Tulane is on a bungee cord .. I am so sick of this academic krap, hell Tulane is not that f^@%!ng hard !!!!
Right. It keeps being repeated as if it is a legitimate hurdle. It is not. In fact, eliminating engineering is proof that the error is in the other direction, that Tulane does not grant any importance to the usefulness of a Tulane education.