Uh... guys? Kendall Bussey

Talk about the latest recruits here.
AugWave
Swell

I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
OUG
Riptide

He's good. He has some breakaway speed and some great feet and instincts as a runner. I suspect he will continue to collect offers this spring, including from BCS programs. And he is likely a top 50 player in the State. Great way to start off the class.

But here's a case where its almost hard to trust the video. Because that level of competition isn't close to what he will face in the AAC. That's not to say he doesn't have that potential, just that you can see from the video tape that these defenses are very, very soft, even for HS. 2A competition is tends to be very small and very slow. Of course that doesn't mean he won't be great, look at Peyton Manning.
pearlriverwave
Ripple

yeh i remember those manning boys playing in weak competition
TU23
High Tide

His track times were very good his freshman year. Let's see what happens this Spring with track but I'm confident his speed is in the 4.4 range based on what his coaches have reported and what his track times were as a 15 year old. I'm sure he looks faster because of the slow competition, but he's got legit speed.
lurker123
Swell

TU23 wrote:His track times were very good his freshman year. Let's see what happens this Spring with track but I'm confident his speed is in the 4.4 range based on what his coaches have reported and what his track times were as a 15 year old. I'm sure he looks faster because of the slow competition, but he's got legit speed.

The summer camps serve three purposes: tryouts for potential recruits, raise the team's recruiting profile both generally and specifically and sometimes (generally not at Tulane) actually make money for the coaches based on how many paying kids attend. (Some of the mega state schools literally have thousands of kids attend the camps.)

90%+ of the kids Tulane offers have been personally vetted by them in a practice setting (either in camp or else on the high schooler's practice field through their high school coaches.) Yes how you play in a game can make a difference but generally it is used only to confirm what the coach's have seen in the practice setting.

So does competition matter? Sure. Starting for Curtis because the roster is so deep is a much better indication of current skill sets than how one plays against a Newman opponent. However you still might use the camps to confirm that you wish to recruit a Newman kid over his Curtis counterpart because you believe the former will be a better college player.
OUG
Riptide

Offered by Nebraska...
#Tulane verbal for 2015, #Newman RB Kendall Bussey, Jr., offered by Nebraska. It was only a matter of time BCS schools offered, runs a 4.3; Garland Gillen (@garlandgillen) January 17, 2014
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:Offered by Nebraska...
#Tulane verbal for 2015, #Newman RB Kendall Bussey, Jr., offered by Nebraska. It was only a matter of time BCS schools offered, runs a 4.3; Garland Gillen (@garlandgillen) January 17, 2014

How do we keep him for another 13 months?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

Win. It should be pretty clear to anyone who is paying attention that this staff is recruiting the right guys regardless of what they are ranked. The talent evaluation this far has been pretty amazing. It's also clear that this staff as a whole can really recruit. If we keep winning and improving the talent level will keep going up and we'll start pulling more and more guys with major BCS offers. We need to find a way to win 7 again next year and 9 or 10 the following year. We were a QB and 2 Off. Linemen away from winning 10 or 11 this year.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:

His quotes to Mike Coppage the other day were really bullish on Tulane. He's going to all our games and he seems really bought-in on CJ and Tulane in general. Of course so was Lyn Clark, but I don't even think we know the full story there.

We're at the point where recruiting locally is starting to pay dividends because the kids we are recruiting now were freshman and and sophomores when our younger players were seniors. There are a lot of relationships and good will to be built on. You can see us starting to build pipelines to schools like Scotlandville, East St. John, McDonough 35, West Jeff, etc, that will help us down the line with future recruits too.

I think we will hold on to Bussey. This is a good thing, this is who we want to be recruiting. Once these kids commit they usually do keep their word.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:

Why shouldn't we? He was a stud when he committed to us. He was never in a position to have to "grab that offer".
tnelly15
Riptide

He got a Mississippi St. offer today.
sader24
Tsunami

He's gonna be a 4 star recruit eventually, which means he's going to be tough to hold on to for us. That doesn't mean we aren't going to be able to, but it is going to be a battle down to the wire. This is the advantage of having a coaching staff that is local, has local connections in the high school coaching community, does a great job of evaluating talent, etc. They are going to get on guys like this earlier than everyone else and give us a chance at getting some guys that we would have never been in the conversation for before.
OUG
Riptide

Gone Pecan! Commits to Nebraska.
tnelly15
Riptide

Better now than in 11 months. Not surprised at all to see this.

Fuckin newman greenies.
AugWave
Swell

..... huh?
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tnelly15 wrote:Better now than in 11 months. Not surprised at all to see this.

f**ckin newman greenies.
Now I'm going to have to pull for Seattle tomorrow.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This kills me. If we were 0-12 and played in a BCS conference (P5) we could recruit better kids and have them stick. Playing outside of that really makes it tough. The "branding" of non-BCS has really hurt schools like Tulane. We need to work like hell to get into a P5 league.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:This kills me. If we were 0-12 and played in a BCS conference (P5) we could recruit better kids and have them stick. Playing outside of that really makes it tough. The "branding" of non-BCS has really hurt schools like Tulane. We need to work like hell to get into a P5 league.
I agree completely with this, it's got to be driving CJ nuts to know that he's getting really good commits but can't keep them bc of this. I'll be honest I really don't see us positioning ourselves to make that jump from a facility standpoint. I'm not bashing the stadium and I think it'll make for a nice gameday experience, but an IPF and a Football operations center was more necessary. A new arena was more necessary. The stadium doesn't appear to be of the scope and investment that a University serious about making that leap would be doing.
AugWave
Swell

sader24 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:This kills me. If we were 0-12 and played in a BCS conference (P5) we could recruit better kids and have them stick. Playing outside of that really makes it tough. The "branding" of non-BCS has really hurt schools like Tulane. We need to work like hell to get into a P5 league.
I agree completely with this, it's got to be driving CJ nuts to know that he's getting really good commits but can't keep them bc of this. I'll be honest I really don't see us positioning ourselves to make that jump from a facility standpoint. I'm not bashing the stadium and I think it'll make for a nice gameday experience, but an IPF and a Football operations center was more necessary. A new arena was more necessary. The stadium doesn't appear to be of the scope and investment that a University serious about making that leap would be doing.
Right. We'd def be a MAJOR force if we were in a damn BCS conference. :x
wavedat
Swell

sader24 wrote:

Agree mostly w/sader but the stadium won't have much atmosphere when you have small crowds that are watching inferior athletes against weak competition. The signal has been sent that despite having CJ Tulane is just not committed to big time football. If Tulane had built the right facilities and scheduled up then we could get and keep good recruits. But that's not going to happen and a P5 invite is never going to happen. The POSS is where Tulane athletics is going to be buried.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Back in the 1970's and early 1980's we were going head to head with schools like LSU, Ole Miss, Fla St, Texas A&M, BC, Vandy etc for kids. There were no barriers back in those days. No TV competition, no facility competition, open bowls for all etc. Now and forever all that has changed. It's so difficult to get 4 star kids when you're not in a P5 conference especially football. This is the biggest obstacle any coach at Tulane will face. The "branding" has really taken hold IMO. I'd bet a million bucks if we were in the Big 12 those kids that recently jumped shipped would have been praying for a Tulane offer and would have stayed.
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

I'm still wondering why a class of 2015 guy would committ that early (June of 2013) if there's another place he wanted to go much more.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tnelly15 wrote:I'm still wondering why a class of 2015 guy would committ that early (June of 2013) if there's another place he wanted to go much more.
Losing these guys makes me think about the Chris Scelfo theory of recruiting. He kept his commitments quiet because he didn't want other schools stealing his kids. Of course that was pre-Twitter days. Today kid's are likely to announce their own commitments via social media.
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
tnelly15 wrote:I'm still wondering why a class of 2015 guy would committ that early (June of 2013) if there's another place he wanted to go much more.
Losing these guys makes me think about the Chris Scelfo theory of recruiting. He kept his commitments quiet because he didn't want other schools stealing his kids. Of course that was pre-Twitter days. Today kid's are likely to announce their own commitments via social media.
I'm not really sure it matters. With this level of recruit, you're not going to keep other schools from offering. Nebraska didn't offer because he was a Tulane commit.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
I'm not really sure it matters. With this level of recruit, you're not going to keep other schools from offering. Nebraska didn't offer because he was a Tulane commit.
In this case you're probably correct. His dad played at Colorado so this is really not a shock.
Tulane Class of 1981