Uh... guys? Kendall Bussey

Talk about the latest recruits here.
greenphantom
Swell

Bussey's dad really didn't play at Colorado. He was there for maybe a year and was a reserve. Tried to transfer to Tulane but we didn't have any scholarships available so he went to ULM. I was actually hoping his dad's experience at Colorado would help our chances. Oh well. Disappointing.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:Bussey's dad really didn't play at Colorado. He was there for maybe a year and was a reserve. Tried to transfer to Tulane but we didn't have any scholarships available so he went to ULM. I was actually hoping his dad's experience at Colorado would help our chances. Oh well. Disappointing.
True, I guess I should have said he signed with Colorado. If we are going to recruit 4 star kids we have to be prepared for this to happen.

Last edited by tpstulane on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Also, he's a 2015 player. CJ's got an entire year to change his mind. We need to start cultivating a mindset of "its not over till its over". We're all writing this thing off as a done deal. Just like Williams. He's on campus this weekend. Nothings official until he puts pen to paper on NSD.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

"It's a done deal,'' Bussey Sr. texted. "Nebraska is our new home!''

"Looks like Lil Buss will be a Cornhusker,'' Kendall Sr. texted. "We're going to let them know tonight.''
Heisman talk must have had an influence.
"He is the No. 1 back on (Nebraska's) board,'' Bussey Sr. texted. "They really like him a lot and he fits into their offense! Daddy still is pushing for (the) Green Wave.

"He has a big smile on his face and I love seeing him happy.

"With that being said I truly think he will be a Cornhusker by the end of the day.''
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Also, he's a 2015 player. CJ's got an entire year to change his mind. We need to start cultivating a mindset of "its not over till its over". We're all writing this thing off as a done deal. Just like Williams. He's on campus this weekend. Nothings official until he puts pen to paper on NSD.
You're right, this kid has a year until his signing day and he's already been committed to 2 schools. Him flipping, to us or anyone else is definitely possible. A lot of things can happen in the next year.
sader24
Tsunami

He ain't flipping back unless he blows his knee out again.
Jaxwave
Swell

I get the impression CJ asks these higher profile players' coaches to get the kid to commit early to help us build momentum with the understanding that they can always look around as bigger offers come in. There is no downside to the recruit. Tulane is the fallback option should nothing better emerge. This is why I never get excited with early commitments. P5 schools can raid us up until signing day and steal our recruits due to the non-P5 branding.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:I get the impression CJ asks these higher profile players' coaches to get the kid to commit early to help us build momentum with the understanding that they can always look around as bigger offers come in. There is no downside to the recruit. Tulane is the fallback option should nothing better emerge. This is why I never get excited with early commitments. P5 schools can raid us up until signing day and steal our recruits due to the non-P5 branding.
I feel the same way. I used to get excited the same way in baseball until the MLB would raid our class every year. It's good though we are drawing more interest from 4 star recruits. I wish football would have an early signing period like basketball does. We'd benefit a great deal from that.
Tulane Class of 1981
capwave
High Tide

This kid never had any intention of ever going to Tulane. He used us as a platform of sorts. Commits as a sophomore after a blown out knee and his name starts getting around a little more.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

It's examples like this that show how stupid Tulane's facilities strategy is. We need an IPF and other facilities ASAP. Yulman is not impressive when we are competing against KState and Nebraska for recruits. CJ can get this done if we give him what he needs.
capwave
High Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:It's examples like this that show how stupid Tulane's facilities strategy is. We need an IPF and other facilities ASAP. Yulman is not impressive when we are competing against KState and Nebraska for recruits. CJ can get this done if we give him what he needs.
I agree
Jonathan
Riptide

I agree with cap wave. Sadly his father put him up to this!
tnelly15
Riptide

I think you're both being ridiculous
Jonathan
Riptide

I respectfully feel that you are ridiculous! Can we agree to disagree?
tnelly15
Riptide

You can do whatever you want. He made a committment way too early. That doesn't mean he used us as a platform or never wanted to go to Tulane. And what are you saying his dad put him up to? Based on the quotes it seems like his dad wants him at Tulane.
Jonathan
Riptide

Relax and get a life. Stop being so judgemental! . I love the son and dad in Nebraska red jackets. Did either have the courtesy to call CJ before they went public and tell them why they committed for Tulane a year away but know pulled the plug/decommited? I felt that the way they handled it in my humble personal opinion was sickening and disgusting in poor taste to say the least. Have a good day!
tnelly15
Riptide

What are you even talking about? I'm relaxed as possible, just trying to have a conversation. How am I being judgmental? I asked a simple question, that was all. If you think what they did was sickening, I strongly urge you to stop following recruiting. It sucks that he's not coming to Tulane, but they did nothing wrong.

And now I remember why nobody on this board even bothers trying to have a serious discussion with you.
capwave
High Tide

Take this how you will. I'm not saying its gospel, but my opinion comes from the fact that a friend of mine has a son who goes to school with him. About 10 months ago we were talking about him and he told me that Bussey will never play at Tulane and that he never had any intention to.
batonvert
Ripple

jonathanjoseph wrote:It's examples like this that show how stupid Tulane's facilities strategy is. We need an IPF and other facilities ASAP. Yulman is not impressive when we are competing against KState and Nebraska for recruits. CJ can get this done if we give him what he needs.
+ 1000000000000000000000
tnelly15
Riptide

Whether he truly never wanted to play at Tulane or not, none of us can really say. I just don't see what the benefit is in being a Tulane committ. That doesn't lead to any better offers if you're not really good.
capwave
High Tide

From the way I interpreted the info., I felt as though his camp thought if he committed as a sophomore there would be multiple articles written and maybe some extra curiosity from other programs. They had concerns of interest coming off the injury and an early commit to another program may show others that the knee isn't an issue. I basically took it as this, they played Tulane from the start in order to benefit him, believe it or don't believe it, I don't really care. Just trying to pass on some insight.
sader24
Tsunami

I believe it. He committed ridiculously early. There are two ways to look at it, either he used us and screw him. Or we both used each other, because in those articles Tulane got mentioned and it certainly wasn't a drawback to be mentioned than not mentioned. Recruiting is a game at this point and if you want to do well in recruiting you have to have the stomach to get burned and lose out on kids. I don't get how so many Tulane fans get all upset when a good player decommits like last year and start bashing the coaches and the players. Would you guys rather be recruiting Toledo type players? We've missed out on some guys but lets take a look at some of the guys and teams we've beaten out for guys (Darion Monroe-Texas Am, Baptiste-Ole Miss, Santa Marina-Utah, Williams-Texas Tech and Miami, Veal-Ole Miss, Harris-Ok.St?, Williams-Kansas St.?, Hilliard-Ok.St., Diaz had good offers,) I know it doesn't seem like a lot but we didn't have one of those during Toledo's entire tenure. We've done a fairly decent job recruiting toe to toe with Big 12 programs thus far. IT's hard to compete with the SEC, but getting our names in with these players and going after top players has really raised the talent level in a short period of time.
OUG
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I believe it. He committed ridiculously early. There are two ways to look at it, either he used us and screw him. Or we both used each other, because in those articles Tulane got mentioned and it certainly wasn't a drawback to be mentioned than not mentioned. Recruiting is a game at this point and if you want to do well in recruiting you have to have the stomach to get burned and lose out on kids. I don't get how so many Tulane fans get all upset when a good player decommits like last year and start bashing the coaches and the players. Would you guys rather be recruiting Toledo type players? We've missed out on some guys but lets take a look at some of the guys and teams we've beaten out for guys (Darion Monroe-Texas Am, Baptiste-Ole Miss, Santa Marina-Utah, Williams-Texas Tech and Miami, Veal-Ole Miss, Harris-Ok.St?, Williams-Kansas St.?, Hilliard-Ok.St., Diaz had good offers,) I know it doesn't seem like a lot but we didn't have one of those during Toledo's entire tenure. We've done a fairly decent job recruiting toe to toe with Big 12 programs thus far. IT's hard to compete with the SEC, but getting our names in with these players and going after top players has really raised the talent level in a short period of time.
Yep. To all of this.

By the numbers: (Rivals class ranking)

------------Scelfo (avg 94)
2002: 99
2003: 85
2004: 91
2005: 103
2006: 92
------------Toledo (avg 107)
2007: 109
2008: 115
2009: 97
2010: 113
2011: 103
------------CJ (avg 80)
2012: 81
2013: 78
2014: 82

We're probably never going to get much higher than the high 60's as long as we're a G5 school, but that's where UH, UCF, and Cincy built their programs.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote: We're probably never going to get much higher than the high 60's as long as we're a G5 school, but that's where UH, UCF, and Cincy built their programs.
That's a pretty broad generalization. Can CJ ever get us much higher than the high 60's with the current Tulane facilities? Probably not. But could we climb much higher if we would spend $40M on an IPF and other facilities? Highly likely.

CJ will leave at the first decent offer he gets if he decides he won't be able to recruit better than the high 60's. CJ is shooting much higher than the Cowen/Dickson administration is aiming. This is a problem.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote: We're probably never going to get much higher than the high 60's as long as we're a G5 school, but that's where UH, UCF, and Cincy built their programs.
That's a pretty broad generalization. Can CJ ever get us much higher than the high 60's with the current Tulane facilities? Probably not. But could we climb much higher if we would spend $40M on an IPF and other facilities? Highly likely.

CJ will leave at the first decent offer he gets if he decides he won't be able to recruit better than the high 60's. CJ is shooting much higher than the Cowen/Dickson administration is aiming. This is a problem.
I couldn't disagree more. The conference you play in and national exposure is much more important than whether your IPF is on campus, or a few miles away. I would bet kids get just as excited when they know they'll be practicing at the Saints facility as any in the nation. But more importantly, playing in a P5 conference with 60-100,000 folks in the stands each game makes a bigger impression than the IPF. If you think we're going to start outrecruiting P5 conference programs in the AAC, we'll agree to disagree. And yes, there 60+ programs in the P5.

Whether or not CJ stays we don't control. Do I want an IPF on campus? Absolutely. But CJ will still leave if he has a chance to coach a P5 program, unless, of course, he wants to spend his last 15-20 years coaching in New Orleans. Right now we have no worries about CJ getting a P5 job. He's not even on the radar screen at this time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V