Football Recruiting Updates

Talk about the latest recruits here.
TU23
High Tide

I will say this about o-line...it's truly a 3 year recruiting cycle. Other than QB, it's the hardest position to come right in and play and I think it's the exception rather than the rule for a player to come in on the O-Line ready to play as a true FR. The only OL recruit that CJ personally signed in the first class was Shienle (the other 3 were Toledo commitments). While he struggled this year as a RS FR, he played very well at times, especially in the bowl game. Last year we signed Taylor, Santa Marina, Godfrey and Stewart. Taylor played well in the run game when he was healthy and he's going to be a good player. Stewart was really good in HS and showed up too overweight to play so he redshirted. Time will tell on him. Godfrey needed a redshirt year to gain weight, but he shows a lot of promise. Santa Marina similarly needed time to get his strength and conditioning where he needed it to be and needed time to acclimate to college so he redshirted. So if we want to judge CJ and co.'s o-line recruiting, we are talking about Shienle and Taylor, who both showed some promise as first year players and were definitely not the weakest part of our offensive line. Then there are 3 redshirts who will be competing for time this year. I think Diaz looks like a real player too. The rest of the guys are Toledo recruits. If we want to question whether McDonnel has the ability to coach up the holdovers, I think that is a fair point of contention. I just think it's too early to judge CJ's O-Line recruits as far as on the field performance is concerned.

JerseyWave
Riptide

Can't the coaches "unrecruit" a committed player if they reevaluate them and grade them out lower. For example, they have a disappointing senior season. They tore it up at the summer camps, but did not look good on film during the season. Wouldn't the coaches try to encourage the recruit to look elsewhere without pulling the offer. They can stop calling and sending letters.

What is CJ gonna do if the Tuesday before signing day, a Fournette, for example, decides he wants to play for the hometown team. "Sorry Leonard, we are filled up."
tnelly15
Riptide

Yea, LOL that aint happening. And no offense to Bailey, but he's no Leonard Fournette.

If the coaches really want this kid, then I'm sure they'll make room for him.
lurker123
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:Can't the coaches "unrecruit" a committed player if they reevaluate them and grade them out lower. For example, they have a disappointing senior season. They tore it up at the summer camps, but did not look good on film during the season. Wouldn't the coaches try to encourage the recruit to look elsewhere without pulling the offer. They can stop calling and sending letters.

What is CJ gonna do if the Tuesday before signing day, a Fournette, for example, decides he wants to play for the hometown team. "Sorry Leonard, we are filled up."
They "educate" the player about what his (lack of) prospects might be. If the player agrees they generally aggressively help the player land on his feet elsewhere. If not they might try to persuade the player to be a "preferred" walk on or even grey shirt as an alternative. Obviously CJ put a recruit last year on the track team when he ran out of space.

It is critical for CJ's and Tulane's recruiting reputation that it "honor" its commitments. They have and do tell folks there is no space left in the inn. (e.g., Granier?) Obviously when a Fournette rings the bell late on signing night they give him the coach's bed and know they will figure out the "overbooking" someway tomorrow while the coach goes and sleeps in his car.
wave runner
High Tide

Rae Juan Marbley ‏@rae_juan56 34m
This weekend has been so amazing #TULANE #ROLLWAVE
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I have to say that dude bigmoney has a pretty solid post regarding all of our recruits and offers.

http://tulanefootballtalk.blogspot.com/ ... offer.html
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Latest update from Guerry Smith who runs our Rivals site and also covers us for the Advocate:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... -word-from
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/ ... rt_m-rpt-2

LSU losing more players, with this have an effect on TU recruiting?
AugWave
Swell

Wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them come to TU.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
wave runner
High Tide

Nola.com Article on Recruiting
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... cart_river

Looks like Daren Williams received an offer from Kansas State.
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave runner wrote:Nola.com Article on Recruiting

But I guess that's a positive in the sense that everyone's been complaining for years that the players we sign don't get offers from BCS schools. This has to be an indication that we're getting our foot in the door with better recruits.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:

But I guess that's a positive in the sense that everyone's been complaining for years that the players we sign don't get offers from BCS schools. This has to be an indication that we're getting our foot in the door with better recruits.
I think keeping him and Booth-Lloyd is critical to this class. Clearly, the quality of recruits has increased dramatically under CJ. Let's hope we can go bowling again in 2014, with an offensive line that is vastly improved, and defensive line that steps up and fills the considerable holes that Davenport and Warmsley leave behind.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:

I've seen absolutely no reporting that this kid actually wants to go to Kansas State, just Jimmy speculating that we may lose him because Kansas State offered. Guys, its Kansas State, not USC. We're talking about Manhattan, Kansas -- oh, except for the road trips he'll take to such glamorous locations as Morgantown, Ames, Lubbock, Waco, and Stillwater. They are a bigger program than us, sure -- but this is why you recruit in your back yard. Because most of these kids love south Louisiana and want to be near their families. And while they may turn Tulane down and leave for a fantastic school in a great location (e.g., Stanford, UCLA, Miami) or a power program (Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Alabama, ND), we SHOULD be able to keep a commitment from East St. John from bailing on us to leave for Kansas freaking State.
DrBox
Riptide

He's visiting K State this weekend.
sader24
Tsunami

CJ has stated and acted under the premise that if a commit takes visits his scholarship will be shopped around immediately.
OUG
Riptide

sader24 wrote:CJ has stated and acted under the premise that if a commit takes visits his scholarship will be shopped around immediately.
I think he's ok with visits, just not after you visit Tulane.

And even there, there are exceptions -- Ade Aruna took visits after Tulane and stayed committed and signed. Booth Lloyd is taking visits and the coaches reportedly still consider him a Tulane commit.
AugWave
Swell

Looks like Daren Williams committed to Kansas State, per Big Money...
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
tnelly15
Riptide

Well, hopefully this is the only one we lose.
DrBox
Riptide

Saw that one coming a mile away. Hopefully we have a quality backup.
capwave
High Tide

That is a very big loss. We best have a serious backup plan.
Jonathan
Riptide

I thought Big Money was driven off the alleged JTS nazi board Ye Olde because he married and his new wife did not want him to spend 24 hours a day on the board as he did. Give us a more reliable source!
51WaveBG
High Tide

Hate to lose a good recruit, but it may not be as bad as it seems. We have Woullard and Wilson committed & both are higher rater by Rivals than Williams. Both are 2*/5.4 and Wms is 2*/5.2. We have Aruna. Carroll and Jackson coming off redshirt. We have LaFrance, Bryant & Robinson all w/ game experience. I'm sure that the coaching staff saw this coming and have a back plan in place for any losses @ this stage of the game. Looking forward to NSD to see how it all plays out. Maybe we can pick up another quality QB to take his place. We sure need one.
51WaveBG
High Tide

ESPN has deleted Williams as a TU recruit and he now appears as a Kansas State recruit on their KS board.
51WaveBG
High Tide

Just checked 247 and they have also deleted Williams from the TU board and have him listed on the KState board.
tnelly15
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:I thought Big Money was driven off the alleged JTS nazi board Ye Olde because he married and his new wife did not want him to spend 24 hours a day on the board as he did. Give us a more reliable source!
What are you even talking about?
1st Big $ has been as reliable as anyone regarding Tulane recruiting info. 2nd there are plenty of other sources that say the same thing.