Football Recruiting: Class of 2013

Talk about the latest recruits here.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Please re-post this if I'm posting in the wrong area.

I saw a whole lot on NOLA.com about our class of '13 earlier in the summer. Anyone know if the QB from Jesuit is among them? I remember someone talking him up last fall and I took a look, as a Junior he had poise and seemed to throw the tough passes with ease. I think his name was Tanner, but not sure if that's his first or last name. OK, at 50 I'm missing those brain cells I leave every time I visit the Crescent City!
:oops:

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thanks, BigSteve, I hope this guy sticks, that highlight film has him making all the throws. Did he really split time at QB? If so, where's the other kid now?
posse
High Tide

Has anyone noticed on the Tulane Wave Rpt/Rivals list of our commiments, that all of our players are now rated at least 2 stars.......Took awhile for recruiting service to catch up with Coach CJ's personal evaluation of our commiments......I believe we had 5 or 6 no star players, which have now changed to 2 stars.... Go Wave.
sader24
Tsunami

The other QB was more of an athlete, pretty sure his name was Cameron Dobbins. He was the Offensive Player of the year this past year in the Bizarro Catholic League.
greenphantom
Swell

As a Jesuit fan who attended a few games last year, I honestly cannot say I was very impressed with Lee. Good arm but not much else. Limited mobility and he seemed to miss a lot of open receivers in the games I was at - Rummel, Carencro. The offense seemed to stagger when he was in the game. Jesuit could have won state last year had Dobbins played full time. Maybe Lee can progress better this year as the full time QB, but I see him as a backup in college. Looks like a Kevin Moore type.
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Thanks, BigSteve, I hope this guy sticks, that highlight film has him making all the throws. Did he really split time at QB? If so, where's the other kid now?
Dobbins will be attending D-2 Mississippi College, probably as an athlete. He was a running QB and kind of small, so I don't think he got a lot of looks from D-1 programs.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Mike Neu is very high on Tanner Lee it was reported when Lee committed. Neu was a scout with the Saints so he should be a good talent evaluator. As long as Devin Powell progresses he should be the clear cut starter next year as a true sophomore. He will definitely play this year. The two QB commits in 2013 add depth for the future, but Powell appears penciled in as the future starter. Getting a 1st tier QB in the 2014 recruiting will be imperative.
sader24
Tsunami

Powell, Ball, Lee. All of them can't start and all of them won't be great.
AugWave
Swell

sader24 wrote:Powell, Ball, Lee. All of them can't start and all of them won't be great.
I think we're gonna go hard after that kid from Destrehan. Not sure what class he's in, but I think he's around 6'4 230 pounds. He's either a junior or sophomore in high school now. Lee or BELL ( :mrgreen: ) both can be good, but they aren't sure-fire beasts. I do think that Tanner Lee is gonna do some damage though.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
RWR
Swell

sader24
Tsunami

For the record, if I was a 17 year old kid I would take all the free trips I was allowed. It's going to be a dogfight to keep all these kids committed and get them signed. I would rather have players that have lots of interest from BCS schools than to have kids who dont. I think the fact that bigger programs want our commitments is a positive signal.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If I'm CJ I now go after some of UCF's recruits hard.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
billow
High Tide

Why is there a need to go after UCF recruits. Protect what you have and cherry pick what great ones are left, along with your needs. You get greedy trying to protect your own and go after theirs. It is quiet evident our pledges are much better.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

billow wrote:Why is there a need to go after UCF recruits. Protect what you have and cherry pick what great ones are left, along with your needs. You get greedy trying to protect your own and go after theirs. It is quiet evident our pledges are much better.
I'm more an "eye for an eye" guy if these two kids switch.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

If CJ loses local recruits to UCF, then he has lost his recruiting touch.
DrBox
Riptide

There's really nothing tangible to suggest that we'll lose these players to Central Florida.
Just sort of a piece with a touch of condescension.
They have better offers than Central Florida anyway.
AugWave
Swell

Ya'll DO know that these same players have offers from schools like Arkansas, Miami and Purdue right? Why in all hell do you think UCF would have the juice to make them flip(CLEAN recruitment btw)? Be real.. Stop jumping to conclusions saying a coach losing a commit says that he's losing his mojo. Saban, Les Miles and other elite program coaches lose recruits every year. Save it.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
AugWave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
If I'm CJ I now go after some of UCF's recruits hard.
That's a sure-fire way to lose your job and be the laughing stock of college recruiting. We aren't related with UCF in any way. Other schools that do that have some sort of history with it (LSU/Bama Bama/Auburn).. What's CJ gonna say to those recruits? :shock:
sader24
Tsunami

You cant go after big name recruits if you are going to get upset everytime they are mentioned as having interest in other schools. We'll keep 95-100% of these commits and we'll be in on even bigger kids next year battling bigger programs and there will be more and more stories like the one we are discussing. That's the name of the game if you wanna be good. Toledo was unwilling to really battle for top recruits probably due to a combination of laziness and not wanting to spend time on guys he didnt think he could get. I'd rather lose some of these battles against Ole Miss, Miss.St, TxAm, UCF, whoever than to not have them at all.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:You cant go after big name recruits if you are going to get upset everytime they are mentioned as having interest in other schools. We'll keep 95-100% of these commits and we'll be in on even bigger kids next year battling bigger programs and there will be more and more stories like the one we are discussing. That's the name of the game if you wanna be good. Toledo was unwilling to really battle for top recruits probably due to a combination of laziness and not wanting to spend time on guys he didnt think he could get. I'd rather lose some of these battles against Ole Miss, Miss.St, TxAm, UCF, whoever than to not have them at all.
+1

The only way to get out of C-USA is to get the recruits needed to be competitive in the few big games on the schedule going forward each year. Even if we win the division, or start to go bowling regularly, if the Wave gets blown out every time we face a decent BCS team, we'll still be an afterthought, and the fan base will remain stagnant.

I also think it would be funny to watch Cowen change tunes if the Big East were ever to come calling. It would be a HUGE leap up from C-USA, despite his repeatedly stating that the BE is among the "have nots." Tell them that as they broadcast into huge markets like NYC, Boston and Chicago. Or when they sell out EVERY game of their conference basketball tournament in Madison Square Garden. Last time I checked, Scotty boy, the BE still had a BCS automatic bid. Cowen might want to stop bashing the BE, as it's probably a much better fit, and more likely to consider Tulane than the Big 12. Louisville and Cinncinatti both left what was at the time a much stronger C-USA for greener pastures and have done well in the BE.
wave runner
High Tide

Possible recruits we are interested in I have found via twitter:

Tulane Insider ‏@TulaneInsider:
Update on 2013 CB Jonathan Moxey out of Palm Beach Gardens, FL (Dwyer). Says #Tulane is recruiting him hard

Jonathan Moxey is a 2 star recruit (rivals) we have offered.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... xey-134627

St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) 2013 WR Mark Barr 2 star recruit (rivals) we have offered.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... arr-131858

Update for 2014 recruit class we have already offered
CB Terrence Alexander from John Curtis 3 teams interested LSU, Ole Miss, Tulane
Ole Miss and Tulane have already offered.
AugWave
Swell

Mark Barr is a player. A PLAYER.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:As a Jesuit fan who attended a few games last year, I honestly cannot say I was very impressed with Lee. Good arm but not much else. Limited mobility and he seemed to miss a lot of open receivers in the games I was at - Rummel, Carencro. The offense seemed to stagger when he was in the game. Jesuit could have won state last year had Dobbins played full time. Maybe Lee can progress better this year as the full time QB, but I see him as a backup in college. Looks like a Kevin Moore type.
Tanner Lee beats HC.................
http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/a ... oth-teams/
“We expected the game to be a war,’’ Lee, a Tulane commitment, said after completing 19 of 21 passes without being intercepted. “With all of the intensity and rah rah that goes with this game we knew it was going to be a fight. Every play was a fight. Nobody took a single play off.’’
Lee directed a pair of impressive scoring drives covering 81 and 73 yards and ended the first with a 44-yard scoring pass to junior wide receiver Nathan Zimmer that opened the scoring in the second quarter. Senior running back Kalan Minnard tallied Jesuit’s second touchdown of the period that increased the Blue Jays advantage to 14-0 on the second of three successful PAT kicks by Crew Jacobs.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:As a Jesuit fan who attended a few games last year, I honestly cannot say I was very impressed with Lee. Good arm but not much else. Limited mobility and he seemed to miss a lot of open receivers in the games I was at - Rummel, Carencro. The offense seemed to stagger when he was in the game. Jesuit could have won state last year had Dobbins played full time. Maybe Lee can progress better this year as the full time QB, but I see him as a backup in college. Looks like a Kevin Moore type.
Tanner Lee beats HC.................
http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/a ... oth-teams/
“We expected the game to be a war,’’ Lee, a Tulane commitment, said after completing 19 of 21 passes without being intercepted. “With all of the intensity and rah rah that goes with this game we knew it was going to be a fight. Every play was a fight. Nobody took a single play off.’’
Lee directed a pair of impressive scoring drives covering 81 and 73 yards and ended the first with a 44-yard scoring pass to junior wide receiver Nathan Zimmer that opened the scoring in the second quarter. Senior running back Kalan Minnard tallied Jesuit’s second touchdown of the period that increased the Blue Jays advantage to 14-0 on the second of three successful PAT kicks by Crew Jacobs.
Thanks tps! I caught the doubleheader at the Dome, St Pauls' got beat 14-13 and Curtis rolled 33-3 in a huge win that could vault them to No#1 in the country!