SIGNING DAY

Talk about the latest recruits here.
TURVS71
Swell

As of 11:00 AM, 21 of 22 Letters of Intent have been received. No surprises.

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
TURVS71
Swell

Last one in - All 22 wanted were signed.

WIST live at Tulane: Coach Toledo to be on at 12:05

Signing Party today at 5 with BB game at 7
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Jaxwave
Swell

I like the 22 players we got, so the following is no reflection on them. They appear to be an upgrade at their positions for the most part. Would have prefered another WR to 3 TEs but that's picking nits.

HOWEVER, only 4 DL in the group weighing in at 217, 223, 240 and 270. I will check the lists of other CUSA teams tonight and see how many DL they have signed and their sizes. This is where our coaches fail year after year. We lack the size and numbers on the DL and have a history of attrition there due to academics or injuries (perhaps playing before they are physically ready). I know it's hard in the south to find academically qualified DL with size. Why don't they expand their search into other parts of the country like they do with OL? I'll bet their are gads of DL who sign with MAC type schools who would love a Tulane education and give us depth there. Falling short agin on the DL is very disappointing.

In summary I rate the recruting class every year based on the front 7 signees. Due to lack of numbers on the DL, I can't give this coaching staff an overall high mark. The players themselves get an A/B based on their credentials.
RWR
Swell

Well said jax. We already have 3 young TE's and we signed 3 more. Makes no sense. Then you have the continued failure to sign legit DT's. Line play is important and it wasn't addressed enough in this class. I very much like our skill position players but they will be hard pressed to be successful w/out solid line play.
Jaxwave
Swell

I've gone back and checked and for the most part CUSA teams are short on DTs as a whole. ECU, Houston, and UCF have higher numbers of DL and a couple like Rice and Marshall are on a par with us at the bottom in numbers at that position with the others somwhere in between.
Dupergreenie
Surge

the reason we are going with 'light' dline is they are looking to get more speed then size on the line. they hope to get the guys to add some weight but still keep the quickness. basically have 3 out of 4 dline be def ends. the te situation was they were looking at just getting 2 but the 3rd guy was a really good one and it was one of the situations where i would be silly to let him sign else where. also, you can always move a TE to tackle or guard or if one is athletic enough you could make him a wr and have a REALLY tall wr.
RWR
Swell

I hope he turns out to be good but ULL,his hometown team, recruited him as an OT.