Recent commits

Talk about the latest recruits here.
glennc
Low Tide

were any of the recent commits recruited by big schools. There is no mention who else wanted these kids. I fear that we are still recruiting kids who in all probability are not division 1 players.

JTLiuzza
Swell

It's listed on Rivals. I don't know if that info is accurate or not but there it is. I've compiled a quick list. The schools I have listed are the ones that offered scholarships according to Rivals. It looks like Renaldo Thomas from St. Aug was the only one recruited by bigger programs and he's rated a two star by the same service. Anyway, for what it's worth:

Matt Bailey: North Texas, Northern Illinois, Virginia
Leon Blouin: ULM
Devin Boutte: ULL
Aaron Bryant: None
Lawrence Burl: None
Dante Butler: Arizona, Miami OH, Northern Illinois, USM, Utah, Western Kentucky
Josh Drum: Pennsylvania
Marc Edwards: Memphis, Tulsa
Robert Kelley: None
Matt Killian: Northern Illinois
Brandon LeBeau: None
Nicl San Giacomo: None
Sam Scofield: ULL, McNeese, Northwestern State
Justyn Shackleford: None
Nate Skold: North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, Ohio, Wyoming
Renaldo Thomas: Arkansas, Houston, Michigan, Oklahoma State
Greg Thomson: None
Arturo Uzdavanis: None
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
whodatwavefan
Ripple

other offers according to Scout:

Tatford (TE)-ULL, Memphis, Miami (OH)
Butler (RB)-add Northwestern to the list.
Thomas (S)-add TN, LSU, SMU and Tulsa.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Wow. So Renaldo Thomas had offers from Arkansas, Houston, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, LSU, Tulsa, SMU, and Tulane and he's only a two star?

Doesn't say much for the star ranking system, does it. Not that I had that much faith in it to begin with. Had he verballed to Michigan or one of the SEC schools who offered him, poof, instant four star/five star.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Adding Michael Pierce, DT out of Alabama: offers from South Alabama and Western Kentucky
glennc
Low Tide

Wow. a recruit wanted by South Alabama and Westerm kentucky. Real powerhouses. At least Scelfo recruited against other D-1 Schools. He just wasn't good enough to coach high school teams.
JTLiuzza
Swell

I agree with you glenn but look at the eight verbals who got offers from nobody else. Now that's from Rivals but I take it as accurate. But even if there are some inaccuracies there, eight guys with no other offers? That's one third of the class. In fairness they may have been early verbals so nobody else bothered. I doubt all eight were, however, and I don't care enough to research it. Anyway you slice it, this whole "recruiting is on the upswing" meme we're expected to swallow as one of the main reasons why Toledo was retained and extended lacks any evidence.
sader24
Tsunami

Seems to me the same teams that are in the top 25 in recruiting every year are in the Top 25 during the season as well. I actually put alot more faith in the star rankings as a whole because quite frankly its pretty accurate. For every 1 they miss on they get 15 right. On Yogwf every recruit is underrated and a diamond in the rough yet we're 4-8 every year. If you look at the 2002 roster you'll see alot of guys on their that had big time offers.
JTLiuzza
Swell

I love the "diamond in the rough" canard. For all the diamonds in the rough we've supposedly landed, we should probably just shut down the school entirely and open a jewelry store.

That one also goes hand in hand with the "under the radar" recruit. Yeah. We're sneaking up on everybody.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I juz checked with the NCAA clearing house...I have 2 yrs left...6'2" 220 lbs run the fory in about 50 minutes mean as hell and can still throw the fast ball in the mid 90's, if I can only still throw the overhand curve..in fact the tripple A team here in Round Rock uses me as a PB pitcher ..bring on all of these young dumb azz's..
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Good thing I make my salary playing Golf at Country Clubs !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dupergreenie
Surge

boutte had a few other offers before he tore his acl then those teams backed off him.