2019-2020 Men’s Basketball Recruiting

Talk about the latest recruits here.
WavyHoops
High Tide

To me, the best thing Coach Hunter has to offer is himself - a coach who's been there before and gotten it done at the NCAA level.

Stackhouse was a great NBA player but if anyone can tell a kid that NBA experience doesn't mean all that much in college, it's Tulane folks.

MicMan
Swell

Damn, with the wrist slaps Lousville and North Carolina got for recruiting violations, why isn't President Fitts mobilizing the bagmen? DOESN'T HE WANT TO WIN?!
swampnik
Surge

AugWave wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am
WavyHoops wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:12 am Who knows for sure. He could ask to get out of his letter tomorrow, but for now he still has this tweet pinned:

Looks like he's still down.
Would love to have Walker, Days and Embo around to form the nucleus going forward for Coach Hunter.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I obviously hope this is true, but i have a hard believing it is. Apparently there are BIG time programs chasing him. It would make ron hunters job much easier.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Maybe there could be a positive domino effect - if Hunter brings in some strong players it might sway Daniels to stay. If we take his quotes at face value we know he likes Hunter’s style.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Rumors are swirling that Caleb Daniels is strongly considering an offer from Villanova. I wonder if he'll start there after sitting out a year. The Wildcats currently have the #3 recruiting class in the nation with 2 shooting guards that are among the top in the country.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:10 am Rumors are swirling that Caleb Daniels is strongly considering an offer from Villanova. I wonder if he'll start there after sitting out a year. The Wildcats currently have the #3 recruiting class in the nation with 2 shooting guards that are among the top in the country.
Makes you wonder if MD had any influence there, since his son used to coach there. A simple call saying "this kids worth looking at".
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
WavyHoops
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:39 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:10 am Rumors are swirling that Caleb Daniels is strongly considering an offer from Villanova. I wonder if he'll start there after sitting out a year. The Wildcats currently have the #3 recruiting class in the nation with 2 shooting guards that are among the top in the country.
Makes you wonder if MD had any influence there, since his son used to coach there. A simple call saying "this kids worth looking at".
That was my thought too - he's not the typical Nova recruit in the Wright era - but Baker Dunleavy was a beloved assistant there and Mike spent a lot of time around the program in his pre-Tulane days. Also, Wright has been burned recently with more players than expected going pro early so maybe he'd be interested in building up his depth.

If I were Daniels I would be concerned with playing time or getting recruited over. Also, while Nova is an elite program, it's not at all clear that the Big East as a whole is better or more visible than the AAC (expecially given the new ESPN deal).
nawlinspete
Riptide

Among the 20 or so Division One offers Caleb is considering is Minnesota where Ed Conroy continues to coach . They made a good Tournament run just a couple of weeks ago....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:33 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 am
WavyHoops wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:50 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 am This could be the next commit
https://247sports.com/player/jordan-wright-46048543/
Head to head competition with a program in an almost identical situation is interesting.
Which one? The kid has a ton of offers, it would be a coup to land him.
off to Vandy, to Anchor Down
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wright is going to Vandy.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Almost impossible to overcome the perception advantage of a P5 program over non P5. Every kid wants to have their coaches and teammates and friends think they're good enough to play for a P5 program.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:48 pm Almost impossible to overcome the perception advantage of a P5 program over non P5. Every kid wants to have their coaches and teammates and friends think they're good enough to play for a P5 program.
that is what I tell the kids at Gonzaga, 'Nova, Georgetown, Nevada, VCU..if only U were good enuff
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
WavyHoops
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:52 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:48 pm Almost impossible to overcome the perception advantage of a P5 program over non P5. Every kid wants to have their coaches and teammates and friends think they're good enough to play for a P5 program.
that is what I tell the kids at Gonzaga, 'Nova, Georgetown, Nevada, VCU..if only U were good enuff
Not to mention Houston, Cincinnati, Wichita State and UCF.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Basketball is a little different than football. Vanderbilt is in the SEC, which is head and shoulders above the AAC. But there are programs in other conferences, including the Big East and some out West that have the prestige that is as strong as most P5 programs. Houston, Cincinnati, Wichita State and UCF are better programs, but won't give you the same exposure as the SEC. And let's face it: Wichita State has taken a step back since joining the AAC.

He's going to a better academic institution and playing in a much better conference. I wish we landed him, but wish him the best.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Houston, Wichita State, Cincinnati and especially UCF ARE NOT better .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
oliveandblue
Surge

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 pm Houston, Wichita State, Cincinnati and especially UCF ARE NOT better .
WSU is a destination job that pays P5 salary and has P5 attendance levels.

Cincy is a top 30 job.

Houston is a storied program returning to glory.

UCF has no history, but is willing to do anything to win a game.

All 4 are way better than a bottom half P5 job.
nawlinspete
Riptide

UCF has no history and Is willing to do anything to win a game . HOW TRUE . 😎😎😎😎😎
nawlinspete
Riptide

Houston is a storied program returning g to glory . After one season ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 pm Houston is a storied program returning g to glory . After one season ?
Show SOME intelligence from time to time. Even just a hint. I mostly don't respond to your posts because they're beyond idiotic.
pansdad
Ripple

DCfromCT, do you feel better now that you so severely put down a fellow Tulane fan.
Jaxwave
Swell

I’ll change my post to read Tulane has a perception problem not only in basketball but all sports. Any kid is embarrassed to have their coaches, teammates and friends think they are not good enough to sign with anyone better than Tulane whether it be a P5 program or not. Is that better? Maybe not but it might be closer to the truth.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:21 pm I’ll change my post to read Tulane has a perception problem not only in basketball but all sports. Any kid is embarrassed to have their coaches, teammates and friends think they are not good enough to sign with anyone better than Tulane whether it be a P5 program or not. Is that better? Maybe not but it might be closer to the truth.
Very fair. This isn’t just a Tulane problem. Perception is THE problem that all institutions trying to climb the ladder run up against.

The notion that a “game changer” was needed was why MD was hired. It didn’t work but it wasn’t a terrible risk to take.

Now Tulane is trying another route - an experienced college coach with a lifetime of working to make the “sum exceed the total of the parts”. Also a good risk to take. But I’d be surprised if it improved recruiting right out of the gate.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Grad transfer prospect going elsewhere:

galvezwave
Swell

Our guys in the portal all seem awfully, awfully excited when guys choose a different route than Tulane . Anybody else find that strange ?