Early Signing

Talk about the latest recruits here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The reality is we have never had to have such a big signing class. Since we needed a big influx of players we made the move to add a large number of JUCO's to try and get experienced players that could hopefully help right away and then not be on the books long and the scholarship would be open again. We have had JC's not get in before. In the past we would only get one or two if any in a given year. They didn't need to have the necessary hours to be eligible to play till the spring semester. The NCAA rule changes a few years ago mandated that the players have the necessary credits when they started school in the fall. As we know baseball is a repetitive sport and coaches want players playing in the summer so they aren't in summer school . That rule change hurt. This is a shame what happened this go around but hopefully we won't be stuck in this situation with bringing in so many JC's and it will turn out better in the future.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:The reality is we have never had to have such a big signing class. Since we needed a big influx of players we made the move to add a large number of JUCO's to try and get experienced players that could hopefully help right away and then not be on the books long and the scholarship would be open again. We have had JC's not get in before. In the past we would only get one or two if any in a given year. They didn't need to have the necessary hours to be eligible to play till the spring semester. The NCAA rule changes a few years ago mandated that the players have the necessary credits when they started school in the fall. As we know baseball is a repetitive sport and coaches want players playing in the summer so they aren't in summer school . That rule change hurt. This is a shame what happened this go around but hopefully we won't be stuck in this situation with bringing in so many JC's and it will turn out better in the future.
This is the biggest class we've had, but 4 years ago was similar. Huge class when Alemais and Rogers came in. 18 newcomers on the team that year. 4 years prior to that it was around 15.
Obviously we cant say for sure how many JUCO's in the past had similar problems with credits or admission, but we did have some years with a bunch of JUCO's coming in. Like 2008, Andrew Rogers, Steve Moritz, Mason Griffin, Drew Allain and Sam Honeck. That's 5 JUCO's in 1 year. So clearly it can be done, if you know what you're doing.

And if our coach told a kid to play summerball rather than go to summer school when he didn't have the credits, well that just doesn't make any sense.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nothing was similar. This is the biggest by far when it comes to players getting scholarship money. Those other classes involved mostly freshman which tied up money for four years. The intent here was to get immediate help but to also be able to free money up soon so we wouldn't be stuck in this rut every 4 years. Were going to have more than 5 this go around. Hopefully this group is better than that group. It's on the school when it doesn't give the word soon enough.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:Nothing was similar. This is the biggest by far when it comes to players getting scholarship money. Those other classes involved mostly freshman which tied up money for four years. The intent here was to get immediate help but to also be able to free money up soon so we wouldn't be stuck in this rut every 4 years. Were going to have more than 5 this go around. Hopefully this group is better than that group. It's on the school when it doesn't give the word soon enough.
When I said similar, I was talking about in size. Not in terms of JUCO/Freshman makeup. This class is bigger but 18 is a huge class. Even if they didn't all get scholarship money, we still knew we'd be using them.

How many are getting scholarship money this year?
We're supposed to have more than 5 JUCO's coming in but we've already lost 3.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:BS Flag in a big way. 4 Credits is not a year's worth of school. It's one class. As I've said, I know a good friend whose son had to take 12 credits in summer school last summer to suit up as a JUCO transfer. The NCAA didn't grant him a 6th year, so he graduated and ended his career, but got to play last fall. He had better reasons than our former QB to get a 6th year, but because he left an (alcoholic) abusive coach a season before said coach was fired, they didn't give him that extra year. Just another reason why I hate the "almighty" NCAA.

And by the way, this has happened in the last year to Notre Dame, Texas, Stanford, Vanderbilt and even Alabama. It is not unique to Tulane at all. We just feel it more because we don't have a long list of equally talented recruits.
I was talking in reference to the 20 credits short. That's almost two semesters.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

McWave wrote:I think I got it now....the recruit was accepted with 74 credits. That was not acceptable to the recruit. The recruit wanted 78 credits accepted. So he will be accepting an offer somewhere else. End of story. thank you.
"Tulane didn't accept enough of his credits so he's going elsewhere. He was less than 4 credit hours short and it was from Northwestern State not his JC. He had 96 hours completed, he needed Tulane to accept 78 hours they accepted 74 hours"

Put yourself in this 20 year old's position. Whether they're JC, NWSt or whatever, the kid still went to school for 96 hours worth of classes. Now he's told only 74 are accepted. That's 22 NOT accepted, which is almost an entire year of school he's got to do again. I'd look somewhere else too.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
McWave wrote:I think I got it now....the recruit was accepted with 74 credits. That was not acceptable to the recruit. The recruit wanted 78 credits accepted. So he will be accepting an offer somewhere else. End of story. thank you.
"Tulane didn't accept enough of his credits so he's going elsewhere. He was less than 4 credit hours short and it was from Northwestern State not his JC. He had 96 hours completed, he needed Tulane to accept 78 hours they accepted 74 hours"

Put yourself in this 20 year old's position. Whether they're JC, NWSt or whatever, the kid still went to school for 96 hours worth of classes. Now he's told only 74 are accepted. That's 22 NOT accepted, which is almost an entire year of school he's got to do again. I'd look somewhere else too.
A big plus 1 from me...as I posted earlier the "clones and ghost of the 60's" are still in place on the Tulane Campus
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

do yall think troy dannen would have let this happen to his football team?
chain gang x man
Swell

Braedon Barrett gets ULM to accept his credits
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:Braedon Barrett gets ULM to accept his credits
Not surprising, and not a knock on Tulane. Where's ULM ranked academically?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
ask, and ye shall receive

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... G2oWPhb3SQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ICQ4qOP6qw
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
ask, and ye shall receive

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... G2oWPhb3SQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ICQ4qOP6qw
Barrett tearing it up
https://twitter.com/braedonbarrett/stat ... 0845260802
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981