Jake Rogers

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Is officially an Astro. Signed a slot deal. Signing bonus of $614K.
http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/158082464-story

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
BC Wave
Swell

Thanks
God knows I've embarrassed myself mAny times, especially not knowing if a last name ends in y or ey
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

BC Wave wrote:Thanks
God knows I've embarrassed myself mAny times, especially not knowing if a last name ends in y or ey
I have a friend that spells his name Rodgers and that's stuck in my brain. Lol on the "ey".
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Great fo rthe young man....The Astros are now a solid organization since McLane is out of the way and they are in need of a catcher !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
OUG
Riptide

ESPN Projects Jake as starting catcher of the 2020 US Olympic Team:

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post ... -look-like

You have to scroll all the way down to their reality-based projection.

Mostly college players and recent draftees, but there are some notable veterans from the projection:

A.J. Pierzynski
Jonathan Papelbon
JB Shuck
Darrin Ruf

Hopefully Jake is too valuable for his major league club to make this team.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's the Astros minor league season review and 2017 outlook at the catcher position.

http://www.astrosfuture.com/2016/10/ast ... w-catcher/

Jake Rogers

Rogers was a 3rd round selection by the Astros in the 2016 draft. Coming out of college Rogers was known as one of the best defensive catchers in the draft, but the bat was a bit behind. He started this season with Tri-City hitting .253 with 2 HR, 12 RBI in 25 games. He was promoted to full season Quad Cities where he hit just .208 in 21 games, though he threw out 50% of runners with Quad Cities.

2016 Stats: 46 G, .233 BA/.341 OBP/.377 SLG, 10 2B, 3 HR, 16 RBI, 21 BB/43 SO

2017 Outlook

Garrett Stubbs has clearly made his case to be the best catching prospect in the Astros system. After splitting time between A+/AA in 2016, he will most likely start next season back in AA. With another good season, he could be a call-up to the Astros in 2017. The Astros spent a high pick on Jake Rogers and it appears he will start with Quad Cities. His defense is second to none but if he can get the offense going, his stock will blow up. The Astros also saw some good short season performances from Ruben Castro and Gabriel Bracamonte and both should be in full season ball next year.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the update. Looking good for Jake.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:ESPN Projects Jake as starting catcher of the 2020 US Olympic Team:

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post ... -look-like

You have to scroll all the way down to their reality-based projection.

Mostly college players and recent draftees, but there are some notable veterans from the projection:

A.J. Pierzynski
Jonathan Papelbon
JB Shuck
Darrin Ruf

Hopefully Jake is too valuable for his major league club to make this team.
So silly.
chain gang x man
Swell

It went down the wire but the Houston Astros got their man.
The Detroit Tigers traded star right-handed pitcher Justin Verlander to the AL West leaders just before the deadline for players to be eligible for the postseason. It reportedly cost Houston three prospects including former Tulane catcher Jake Rogers.
Rated by some as a borderline top 10 prospect in the Houston organization, Rogers was performing well in his first full professional season in the minors. The Astros third round selection in 2016 is batting .263 this season across two levels in Class A ball with 25 doubles, 18 homers, 70 RBIs and 14 stolen bases in 110 games.
Rogers is a coveted prospect due to his plus defense and arm behind the plate. His offensive performance as a pro so far has boosted his stock.
Detroit has traded several high-priced veterans this season in a decision to rebuild. Rogers becomes an important piece in those efforts.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:It went down the wire but the Houston Astros got their man.
The Detroit Tigers traded star right-handed pitcher Justin Verlander to the AL West leaders just before the deadline for players to be eligible for the postseason. It reportedly cost Houston three prospects including former Tulane catcher Jake Rogers.
Rated by some as a borderline top 10 prospect in the Houston organization, Rogers was performing well in his first full professional season in the minors. The Astros third round selection in 2016 is batting .263 this season across two levels in Class A ball with 25 doubles, 18 homers, 70 RBIs and 14 stolen bases in 110 games.
Rogers is a coveted prospect due to his plus defense and arm behind the plate. His offensive performance as a pro so far has boosted his stock.
Detroit has traded several high-priced veterans this season in a decision to rebuild. Rogers becomes an important piece in those efforts.
I'm an Astros fan but this is probably good for Jake in the long run. Hopefully he gets to the big show sooner now.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Same here. As an Astros fan this is great news. For Jake he's going to make it no matter what organization he went to. Good pick up by the Tigers.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Same here. As an Astros fan this is great news. For Jake he's going to make it no matter what organization he went to. Good pick up by the Tigers.
I agree...too bad he will be in Detroit of all dumps !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:It went down the wire but the Houston Astros got their man.
I'm an Astros fan but this is probably good for Jake in the long run. Hopefully he gets to the big show sooner now.
Same here. The Astros are stacked at C, so his best chance was in another organization. Sure would have loved seeing him in the majors with the 'Stros, but this is a good move for him.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Nice piece I hope he makes it to the Show.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

Jake number 5 in the Detroit Tigers organization prospects

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ ... prospects/
chain gang x man
Swell

Jake rated the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues

https://twitter.com/ballengeegroup/stat ... 6365650944
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That runner was out by such a wide margin you have to wonder (especially with a new coaching staff) if that wasn't a missed hit and run sign by the batter. Either way what a great, on the money throw! Hope to see Jake in the Big Show sooner than later.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Best college defensive catcher I have ever seen. He has added some power and continues to improve his hitting in the minors. Will get a shot at the pro's at some point. Will it be as the 2nd catcher or starter, IDK, depends on how he keeps getting better as a hitter.
chain gang x man
Swell

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... e-reviews/

Catcher Jake Rogers Receives Rave Reviews

tigers-900x635
By Anthony Fenech
on April 4, 2018

Catcher Jake Rogers is on the fast track.

After opening eyes at big league camp this spring, the 23-year-old—who is one of the best defensive catchers in the minors—opened the season at Double-A Erie.

"He really showed himself well,” vice president of player development Dave Littlefield said of the 2016 third-rounder out of Tulane.

Rogers has impressed since reporting to Tiger Town with major league pitchers and catchers in early February. Acquired as part of last summer's trade with the Astros for ace Justin Verlander, Rogers has quickly put himself in position to be the Tigers’ catcher of the future.

"He’s an advanced player in many facets," Littlefield said. "He’s mature, intelligent and did a real nice job in major league camp. He’s got tools, he’s been productive and there’s a lot to like.”

In 112 games last season Rogers hit .261/.350/.467 with 18 home runs, doing most of his damage at low Class A Quad Cities in the Astros’ organization. His calling card is defense. Rogers received rave reviews from Tigers pitching coach Chris Bosio with the way he worked with pitchers this spring, and he is considered a favorite of new big league manager Ron Gardenhire.

How much Rogers' offensive game develops will be the difference between a glove-first everyday catcher and a potential all-star cornerstone in the future. Tigers scouts who recommended him have noted his confidence behind the plate, something Gardenhire mentioned when he was demoted from major league camp this spring.

"He’s very intelligent behind the plate, but he gets a little flashy at times,” Gardenhire said. "I don’t ever want to take too much of that away, but the basic parts, we have to clean them up.”

One instance in particular stands out. With a runner on base, Rogers threw the ball back to the pitcher over a righthanded batter’s shoulder.

"He’s got that flair. He knows he can play,” Gardenhire said. "You don’t want to take that away from him. We also want him to understand the basics of the game . . . Until you’ve proven yourself at the major league level, you probably should stay on the straight and narrow.”

By starting at Double-A, Rogers could conceivably reach Detroit at some point in September. But the inference is clear: Rogers is the Tigers’ catcher of the future.

Vladimir-GuerreroJr-2017-cliff-welch
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hate to report this, but Rogers is off to a horrible start offensively at AA Erie this season. He's "on the Interstate" after 39 games (140 ABs) at .157 with 3 HR's and 13 RBI's. I hope he's able to make the adjustment to AA pitching, and continues his rise to "the Show." As I heard on the radio frequently the last three days, "Catcher is the fastest ticket to the Majors. If you're good, you'll get there quickly."
Profoundwizard
Swell

I guess it shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. He didn’t hit much at Tulane outside of his JR season and even then he wasn’t great.
Getting traded to the Tigers probably wasn’t good for him. Astros are so much better at developing their guys.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:43 pm I guess it shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. He didn’t hit much at Tulane outside of his JR season and even then he wasn’t great.
Getting traded to the Tigers probably wasn’t good for him. Astros are so much better at developing their guys.
Yes, but on the heals of hitting .263 at low A and Single A last year (with more power and RBI's than I would have expected) this is a big step back adjusting to the AA level. It's another indication that NCAA D1 is (as was once explained to me by 2 former MLB pitchers at ESPN) maybe at the level of low A minor league baseball. Let's hope Jake can make the adjustment to the higher level of pitching.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

was told he was 2hr away from becoming the only catcher in minor league history to be a 20-20 guy last year. he'll be fine, gotta have faith! also saw where he was named top defensive catcher in minors last year by mlb.com