Frank Scelfo

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got let go by Frank Wilson. Maybe he gets a shot at being a head coach finally.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/univers ... on-offense

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That article says Shaun King played for Frank Scelfo. Did Frank proceed Chris as an assistant at Tulane?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:That article says Shaun King played for Frank Scelfo. Did Frank proceed Chris as an assistant at Tulane?
Yes 1996-98 Teevens hired him and Bowden retained him.
Chris retained him 1999-2006
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If we were going to be forced to hire a Scelfo it should have been Frank not Chris.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Next HC at SELA. Good gig for him. His first head coaching job.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Next HC at SELA. Good gig for him. His first head coaching job.

I am happy for Frank....good ole Strawberry Stadium will be rockin'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's going into a good situation. Roberts had brought the program back to respectability. They weren't interested in trying to keep him when he got the ULL offer. They wanted a more aggressive offense. They tried very hard to get Rebowe from Nicholls. Rebowe ended up with a nice raise to stay put. He's got a good AD. I hope it works out for him.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:That article says Shaun King played for Frank Scelfo. Did Frank proceed Chris as an assistant at Tulane?
If I remember correctly he was Bowden's recruiting coordinator and coached tight ends.

I too am glad he is finally a HC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He was the TE's coach. You may be right about him being the recruiting coordinator too.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote:He was the TE's coach. You may be right about him being the recruiting coordinator too.
WW, it will soon be 20 years. And, I still remember both the '97 & '98 seasons as if it were yesterday, as I am sure you do as well. Great memories.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep.
Wave755
Tsunami

In 2008 when RichRod took the Michigan job Frank Scelfo was one of many interviewed for a long biographical article in a Michigan newspaper for RichRod's coaching career.

In the article Frank said RichRod had in his opinion earned the Tulane HC job in 1998 and that he asked his brother Chris to remove his name from consideration telling Chris, "RichRod has earned the Tulane HC job and will do great things for us at Tulane."

Kudos to Frank for doing the right thing for trying to "spoon feed" the imbecile Cowen to the right decision in 1998.

I truly hope Frank succeeds at SELA and believe he remains a true friend of the Wave.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:In 2008 when RichRod took the Michigan job Frank Scelfo was one of many interviewed for a long biographical article in a Michigan newspaper for RichRod's coaching career.

In the article Frank said RichRod had in his opinion earned the Tulane HC job in 1998 and that he asked his brother Chris to remove his name from consideration telling Chris, "RichRod has earned the Tulane HC job and will do great things for us at Tulane."

Kudos to Frank for doing the right thing for trying to "spoon feed" the imbecile Cowen to the right decision in 1998.

I truly hope Frank succeeds at SELA and believe he remains a true friend of the Wave.
Wave755, that's a hell of a story. Thanks for sharing it. I too will be a Frank Scelfo fan. And will always wonder "what could have been" had Cowen hired Rich Rodriguez.

BTW: My National Champions shirts sure look great! They got here over 10 days ago, but I was traveling on business and then in Boston with Zach, but was fun retrieving them and opening the package right there in the Post Office!
billow
High Tide

In the 2001 Super Regional, Frank kept calling Alex Box, the kitty litter box. Referring to all the homers Lsu was hitting in small stadium. It was funny him degrading tiggers. He’ll do well at SLU and the students, alums & fans there will appreciate him.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

billow wrote:In the 2001 Super Regional, Frank kept calling Alex Box, the kitty litter box. Referring to all the homers Lsu was hitting in small stadium. It was funny him degrading tiggers. He’ll do well at SLU and the students, alums & fans there will appreciate him.
That brings back a memory. A member of our Grounds Crew brought a tape measure out and measured their 313’ left field line. It measured 295’.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:In 2008 when RichRod took the Michigan job Frank Scelfo was one of many interviewed for a long biographical article in a Michigan newspaper for RichRod's coaching career.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A great description of what happened.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:

Wave755, that's a hell of a story. Thanks for sharing it. I too will be a Frank Scelfo fan. And will always wonder "what could have been" had Cowen hired Rich Rodriguez.

BTW: My National Champions shirts sure look great! They got here over 10 days ago, but I was traveling on business and then in Boston with Zach, but was fun retrieving them and opening the package right there in the Post Office!
The National Championship shirts really do look great. Now we just need to encourage Dannen to get rings for all of the 1998 team.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Frank was on with Ed Daniels last night.
https://wgno.com/2018/05/23/309897/
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Frank to make his collegiate head coaching debut vs ULM
https://crescentcitysports.com/frank-sc ... s-forming/
One of his proudest moments in his coaching journey was as an assistant at Tulane during the perfect 12-0 campaign in 1998.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I really hope he does well.. Great guy.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 am I really hope he does well.. Great guy.
I agree.. I also think Chris is a good guy who was thrown into a situation he was not totally ready for..but then again he did win the Hawaii Bowl and many big name teams have gone there and got their collective asses' kicked
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes. Totally agree!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:12 am
I agree.. I also think Chris is a good guy who was thrown into a situation he was not totally ready for..but then again he did win the Hawaii Bowl and many big name teams have gone there and got their collective asses' kicked
The night of that Hawaii Bowl I almost died. It was Christmas night in the NorthEast, and we had a "NorEaster" snow/rain/ice storm. My Audi couldn't make it up the last 2 miles to where I was living at the time in Redding, CT. I called my brother, who picked me up in his SUV, but he wanted to get cigarettes around the corner from where we met. A huge blue flash and loud explosion was heard, but we didn't realize until we rounded the bend that a very large tree had fallen and taken down the power lines. My brother hit the brakes and we skidded into the tree and power lines, which got wrapped around the front passenger side wheel. A branch of the tree burst through the windshield and ended up less than an inch from my throat. There was nothing I could have done, and had we slid 6 inches further, I would have died an ugly death right there.

Fortunately the Georgetown (part Redding part Wilton) CT Volunteer Department was a block away. My brother slept on the couch, I watched the Wave and drank their beers, counting my blessings!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Very Tulane-like loss for Frank. Heartbreaker.
https://lionsports.net/news/2018/8/30/f ... iller.aspx
ULM junior R.J. Turner blocked a potential game-tying 37-yard field goal by SLU senior Jonathan Tatum on the final play to allow the Warhawks to secure a 34-31 victory in the opening game of the season for both teams Thursday night at Malone Stadium. The Lions (0-1) led 31-26 with just over two minutes left when ULM (1-0) took over at its own 38-yard line. The Warhawks drove 63 yards on seven plays with junior quarterback Caleb Evans scrambling in from 11 yards out and then converting a two-point play to give the Warhawks a 34-31 advantage with 37 seconds left.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:00 am Very Tulane-like loss for Frank. Heartbreaker.
https://lionsports.net/news/2018/8/30/f ... iller.aspx
ULM junior R.J. Turner blocked a potential game-tying 37-yard field goal by SLU senior Jonathan Tatum on the final play to allow the Warhawks to secure a 34-31 victory in the opening game of the season for both teams Thursday night at Malone Stadium. The Lions (0-1) led 31-26 with just over two minutes left when ULM (1-0) took over at its own 38-yard line. The Warhawks drove 63 yards on seven plays with junior quarterback Caleb Evans scrambling in from 11 yards out and then converting a two-point play to give the Warhawks a 34-31 advantage with 37 seconds left.
SLU stepped up in class but I really thought they had this game. Team was very prepared.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.