Lionel Washington

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
exflash
High Tide

DfromCT wrote:If he interviewed for the position, he obviously wants the job. I don't know many people that interview for a job they don't want.
-----Not really and it is done all the time---Coach HUD interviewed for the Monroe and Tulane job ---he chose not to go to Monroe because of a very poor position---He chose not to go to Tulane when we matched his salary!!! He wanted the UL job clearly!!!

winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:CJ is well liked in the coaching community and in the "state of Tulane". If we canned him now or at the end of the season our recruiting would go down the tubes. And it's highly doubtful that we'd get someone that could recruit, particularly in state, as well as CJ. We all know he has issues managing the game, but that could be fixed with a good OC.
I know this is a little out there but could be. I've posted what you did above as to how it would be tough for Tulane if they fire CJ. Now here we go. LW really wanted the job. He played here and had a great career in the NFL. If the D finishes strong and he is successful in a few years at Nicholls then he has proven himself that much more. He may think CJ is never going to be successful b/c of various flaws that lead to a lack of discipline, poor game and clock management. He may see that CJ can't help himself from interjecting when he shouldn't. So when CJ is unsuccessful who better to turn to than their former successful DC who has now been a successful HC and is a proven recruiter locally.

Only time will tell.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: So when CJ is unsuccessful who better to turn to than their former successful DC who has now been a successful HC and is a proven recruiter locally.

Only time will tell.
A) When?
B)If he is unsuccessful, is he really to whom you would suggest Tulane turn?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

exflash wrote:
DfromCT wrote:If he interviewed for the position, he obviously wants the job. I don't know many people that interview for a job they don't want.
-----Not really and it is done all the time---Coach HUD interviewed for the Monroe and Tulane job ---he chose not to go to Monroe because of a very poor position---He chose not to go to Tulane when we matched his salary!!! He wanted the UL job clearly!!!
Although I think Hud would have been a better choice from a gameday position, I never heard that he interviewed for the Tulane job. Can others with more behind the scenes knowledge clarify if Hudspeth ever interviewed for the Tulane job?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ccap05
Surge

DfromCT wrote:
exflash wrote:
Although I think Hud would have been a better choice from a gameday position, I never heard that he interviewed for the Tulane job. Can others with more behind the scenes knowledge clarify if Hudspeth ever interviewed for the Tulane job?
Hud was interviewed for the Tulane head coaching job (whether an actual offer was made I don't know but Tulane was very interested). He withdrew his name from consideration after UL-Laf increased his salary. Whether he really was interested in the Tulane job or just used the interview process as a way to leverage a salary increase is not known. Hud is widely thought to be interested in a quick move up to a P5 Head Coaching job and moving to Tulane and re-building the Tulane program probably would not have been as easy a stepping stone as staying with the Lafayette program. Additionally, the word is that Hud's wife actually likes Lafayette. I am a CJ supporter and I really believe that in the long run CJ is a much better choice as he is a better recruiter and is much more likely to stay with the program than Hud. CJ obviously needs to improve his staff but this will be done if/when he gets rid of the assistants tied to RD. I recognize that CJ's game day coaching needs vast improvement but I also believe (may be naive optimism) that CJ's game day coaching is going to improve steadily as he gets used to playing better teams.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote: So when CJ is unsuccessful who better to turn to than their former successful DC who has now been a successful HC and is a proven recruiter locally.

Only time will tell.
A) When?
From a practical perspective the when would be after the 2016 season as CJ gets at least 5 years.

As for the list if CJ is not successful the pool won't be that great so LW would be in the top echelon.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Only time will tell.
A) When?
From a practical perspective the when would be after the 2016 season as CJ gets at least 5 years.

As for the list if CJ is not successful the pool won't be that great so LW would be in the top echelon.
I meant "when" in the sense that you assume he will be unsuccessful.
A Nichols state coach will not be top echelon.
I am with you guys in spirit, but the incessant exaggerations of everything don't help.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Only time will tell.
A) When?

+1
That's why it crazy not to be supportive of CJ. Under the present admin Tulane football has been down this path so many times before and it always turns out the same. The pool is never quite what we hoped for and in the end we always seem to settle for something less.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

exflash wrote:
I checked with Univ of Louisville and they said he never interviewed there, and was not offered a position. Why do you keep clouding up our message board with these confusing statements?
Eaglewave
Swell

MicMan wrote:Played with him in the 80s, it's now or never for a HC job.
I agree. I think the lack of minority head coaches influenced him to interview as well. He is the only coach I wanted to hang around here for a while. I think he will do pretty good at Nicholls and win plenty of games in the Southland.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Only time will tell.
A) When?

I meant "when" in the sense that you assume he will be unsuccessful.
A Nichols state coach will not be top echelon.
I am with you guys in spirit, but the incessant exaggerations of everything don't help.
Box I thought I answered your question. If he's still producing losing records in 15 and 16 then it would bw time to move on.

As for LW if he had made clear signs of turning Nicholls around he would have been both a successful DC and HC. Mack came from Appalachian State. LW would have the recruiting credentials that few others would offer locally and he would help smooth over ill feelings by some of CJ's dismissal.

What are you saying is exaggerated?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Only time will tell.
A) When?

+1
That's why it crazy not to be supportive of CJ. Under the present admin Tulane football has been down this path so many times before and it always turns out the same. The pool is never quite what we hoped for and in the end we always seem to settle for something less.
Tps I think everyone is supportive in that we all hope he proves successful in the time he's clearly going to be given. Some are justifiably discouraged by the same discipline, game management and clock management issues that are still persisting 3 years into his regime. As I pointed out w/the poll very few want him gone now.
nawlinspete
Riptide

The pool may not have been what we hope for but WE ARE NOW SETTLING FOR LESS just by retaining Dickson and Johnson.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
exflash
High Tide

ccap05 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
exflash wrote:
Hud was interviewed for the Tulane head coaching job (whether an actual offer was made I don't know but Tulane was very interested). He withdrew his name from consideration after UL-Laf increased his salary. Whether he really was interested in the Tulane job or just used the interview process as a way to leverage a salary increase is not known. Hud is widely thought to be interested in a quick move up to a P5 Head Coaching job and moving to Tulane and re-building the Tulane program probably would not have been as easy a stepping stone as staying with the Lafayette program. Additionally, the word is that Hud's wife actually likes Lafayette. I am a CJ supporter and I really believe that in the long run CJ is a much better choice as he is a better recruiter and is much more likely to stay with the program than Hud. CJ obviously needs to improve his staff but this will be done if/when he gets rid of the assistants tied to RD. I recognize that CJ's game day coaching needs vast improvement but I also believe (may be naive optimism) that CJ's game day coaching is going to improve steadily as he gets used to playing better teams.
------Hud was offered and basically kinda agreed until our president gave him the amount needed to stay at UL---Subsequently he has signed a new contract this past year for an extended period and a damn big payout if he leaves!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

exflash wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
exflash wrote:
------Hud was offered and basically kinda agreed until our president gave him the amount needed to stay at UL---Subsequently he has signed a new contract this past year for an extended period and a damn big payout if he leaves!!!
"Payout" or "Buyout" ?!?!?!?!?...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
chain gang x man
Swell

Look for someone presently on the ULL staff to be offered the Nicholls St job
He was an assistant at Nicholls once

He was offered a position on CJ's staff but $$$ and retirement benefits were a problem
msdos
Swell

chain gang x man wrote:Look for someone presently on the ULL staff to be offered the Nicholls St job
He was an assistant at Nicholls once

He was offered a position on CJ's staff but $$$ and retirement benefits were a problem
...so, Timmy Rebowe?

i never understood the rationale behind being super fucking vague on internet message boards...
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

If I was Nichols I would pumped to get Washington. That being said, I really don't think it is in his best interests as it is near impossible to win and get exposure there. I suppose he could look at it as a low risk option as if he wins he immediately moves up to a better job and if he losses he can go back to a G5 type coordinator job. However, if I was him I would be more inclined to keep building his resume at TU and either hope for a better job to open or move to coordinator job with a higher profile program. Just my opinion. Nichols has had one coach in their history with a winning record.
Eaglewave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:If I was Nichols I would pumped to get Washington. That being said, I really don't think it is in his best interests as it is near impossible to win and get exposure there. I suppose he could look at it as a low risk option as if he wins he immediately moves up to a better job and if he losses he can go back to a G5 type coordinator job. However, if I was him I would be more inclined to keep building his resume at TU and either hope for a better job to open or move to coordinator job with a higher profile program. Just my opinion. Nichols has had one coach in their history with a winning record.
Washington was excited about the 2013 schedule because it gave Tulane a great shot at going to a bowl game. If he goes to Nicholls, I expect him to grab some solid recruits and start his era off with some wins against lesser programs. Look for Nicholls to schedule a few Mississippi Valleys and Louisiana Colleges to start off the season.
Ball Sumrall!
sader24
Tsunami

The Nicholls job is a bad job. It would be a mistake for him to take it IMO.
Eaglewave
Swell

sader24 wrote:The Nicholls job is a bad job. It would be a mistake for him to take it IMO.
The man wants to be a head coach. It's now or never for him. A FCS HC job in Louisiana might perfect for him if we wants to get his foot in the door to be a FBS HC. If LW can go there and start winning, I am sure a FBS school will pick him up.

He knows how to look in the right spots for recruits and should be able to bring in enough talent to keep his job safe. Expecially a program that has only been asking for a few 7 and 8 win seasons every so often. Like I stated in my post above, he knows what it takes to water down a schedule to rack up wins to get attention building to a a program. I don't see why he couldn't win in Thibodaux.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:
sader24 wrote:The Nicholls job is a bad job. It would be a mistake for him to take it IMO.
The man wants to be a head coach. It's now or never for him. A FCS HC job in Louisiana might perfect for him if we wants to get his foot in the door to be a FBS HC. If LW can go there and start winning, I am sure a FBS school will pick him up.

He knows how to look in the right spots for recruits and should be able to bring in enough talent to keep his job safe. Expecially a program that has only been asking for a few 7 and 8 win seasons every so often. Like I stated in my post above, he knows what it takes to water down a schedule to rack up wins to get attention building to a a program. I don't see why he couldn't win in Thibodaux.
"Speedy" should have gotten the Tulane job...not a doubt in my mind that Benson's money paid for CJ being hired
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Why does Lionel have to go anywhere else to be a head coach?
I'm just saying...
GreenieMeanie
Ripple

golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

"Speedy" should have gotten the Tulane job...not a doubt in my mind that Benson's money paid for CJ being hired
Agreed!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tim Rebowe will get the job.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981