Lionel Washington

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
dpm wave
Swell

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 21 minutes ago

Tulane co-DC Lionel Washington interviewed for the Nicholls State head job yesterday per @tammynunez http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop

via Twitter

JerseyWave
Riptide

Not a good career move for LW and a Tulane coordinator position better pay more than a Head Coach at Nichols St.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I'd recommend Eric Price for the Nichols position.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

Nicholls State is, um, not a good job. I hope LW stays Uptown.

Price can have it, I agree.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes. That's probably going to limit him in some ways. If offered I wonder if he'd take it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If he interviewed for the position, he obviously wants the job. I don't know many people that interview for a job they don't want.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wavetime
Swell

Surprised by this. Wish him well but hope he stays.
TXWave88
Surge

He probably wants to stay. Probably would use that to get a bump in pay at Tulane. Not like we havent seen that before....... If he sticks around, he could have way better opportunities elsewhere.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TXWave88 wrote:He probably wants to stay. Probably would use that to get a bump in pay at Tulane. Not like we havent seen that before....... If he sticks around, he could have way better opportunities elsewhere.
Why?

He's never been a HC anywhere, and this stint as Co-D coordinator is his first stint as a D coordinator. It's not like we're wowing the football world with our D, either.

I'd like to see him stay, but don't think it's the end of the world if he goes. I'd like to see the offensive coaches leave, though.
Jonathan
Riptide

Let us get rid of the entire present coaching staff that cannot win games and beat SMU's 4 million dollar offer to former Tulane athletic director and head football coach Mack Brown and get him back.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He played in the NFL for 15 years and coached in the league for 12 more. He's set financially. He desperately wanted to be the HC here. So he may see taking over his own program as the next step up the ladder.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

I hope he stays but can see why he'd at least consider a HC job. Nichols is crappy now but they had some good years in the 90s. Not an easy job but not impossible
MicMan
Swell

Played with him in the 80s, it's now or never for a HC job.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:Let us get rid of the entire present coaching staff that cannot win games and beat SMU's 4 million dollar offer to former Tulane athletic director and head football coach Mack Brown and get him back.
Let's not and say we did. Mack Browns teams the last 5 years or so at Texas were absolutely nothing worth getting excited about. And Mack had a whole lot more to work with there than he'll ever get at Tulane. I think he should stay retired as a coach and continue as an analyst on ESPN.
lurker123
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Let us get rid of the entire present coaching staff that cannot win games and beat SMU's 4 million dollar offer to former Tulane athletic director and head football coach Mack Brown and get him back.
Let's not and say we did. Mack Browns teams the last 5 years or so at Texas were absolutely nothing worth getting excited about. And Mack had a whole lot more to work with there than he'll ever get at Tulane. I think he should stay retired as a coach and continue as an analyst on ESPN.
True but the ten plus years before that was the most successful record/run of any coach in UT history including Royal and Bible. It included one NC and finals in another year. I could see why SMU might want a part of that.

I'd be more concerned whether Brown still has the fire. Since he was run out of UT, I could see him wanting to do it but is he like Larry Brown or Casey Stengel (who should not have gone to the Mets.)??

Other concern is unlike MBB it would be difficult to turn it around in first year. His early years at Tulane and UNC (both rebuilding situations) were very ugly from w-l perspective. If you have a $30mm+ total contract (if media rumors are correct about size of SMU offer) there can be a lot of impatience from the folks writing checks if Mack has to start explaining away 1-11 seasons while he rebuilds.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
True but the ten plus years before that was the most successful record/run of any coach in UT history including Royal and Bible. It included one NC and finals in another year. I could see why SMU might want a part of that.

I'd be more concerned whether Brown still has the fire. Since he was run out of UT, I could see him wanting to do it but is he like Larry Brown or Casey Stengel (who should not have gone to the Mets.)??

Other concern is unlike MBB it would be difficult to turn it around in first year. His early years at Tulane and UNC (both rebuilding situations) were very ugly from w-l perspective. If you have a $30mm+ total contract (if media rumors are correct about size of SMU offer) there can be a lot of impatience from the folks writing checks if Mack has to start explaining away 1-11 seasons while he rebuilds.
Frankly, it's a moot point.

CJ is here at least through next year, probably through 2016 minimum. Funny how we fickle fans were worried less than a year ago that CJ might be leaving us for a P5 job (though I repeatedly pointed out that he wasn't even on the radar screen for a P5 job). Now we're foaming at the mouth to hire his replacement.

What really needs to happen is the entire Offensive (and yes, they're OFFENSIVE) coaching staff replaced. And a specific coach be hired to run special teams, as ours are far from special.
lurker123
Swell

Just to be clear, I'm referring to Mack potentially going to SMU. As you note Tulane is not looking for a head coach in football despite the wishes of some random posters here.
Bigschtick
Riptide

There isn't anyone on this staff that could not easily be replaced starting with the
head coach.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote:There isn't anyone on this staff that could not easily be replaced starting with the
head coach.
Stop and think first. Who will do the hiring of a new head coach?
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:There isn't anyone on this staff that could not easily be replaced starting with the
head coach.
THAT IS WHY DICKSON MUST BE FIRED NOW. Opportunities for Tulane may be anticipated or unanticipated and unexpected. The last person we want to open the door on these opportunities is Dickson. He must be fired now.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Bigschtick
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
head coach.

No, you stop and think first! Read what I said! Do not read into more than what I said!
Your the one that assumed I was calling for anyone to be canned and thus exposing the program
to yet another mistake because Dickson would do the hiring. Johnson is not going anywhere soon
and Dickson will probably be around longer than you!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
head coach.

No, you stop and think first! Read what I said! Do not read into more than what I said!
Your the one that assumed I was calling for anyone to be canned and thus exposing the program
to yet another mistake because Dickson would do the hiring. Johnson is not going anywhere soon
and Dickson will probably be around longer than you!
"Easily replaced" to me implies what we have isn't that good. So it would be easy to go out and get someone of equal ability. What am I misreading?
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

CJ is well liked in the coaching community and in the "state of Tulane". If we canned him now or at the end of the season our recruiting would go down the tubes. And it's highly doubtful that we'd get someone that could recruit, particularly in state, as well as CJ. We all know he has issues managing the game, but that could be fixed with a good OC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:CJ is well liked in the coaching community and in the "state of Tulane". If we canned him now or at the end of the season our recruiting would go down the tubes. And it's highly doubtful that we'd get someone that could recruit, particularly in state, as well as CJ. We all know he has issues managing the game, but that could be fixed with a good OC.
+1
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Any talk of "canning" CJ at this point is foolish. He does have to remake his coaching staff after this season. Failure to do so will ultimately lead to the demise of his Head Coaching career.