Dr Kelly....is dead

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:He was President during my years at Tulane. I asked him at a Student Q&A session in the early 1990's about an on campus Stadium and he said he needed a lead gift of $15 million to move the project forward.

He hired an impressive list of Athletic Directors:

Mack Brown
Chet Gladchuck
Dr. Kevin White
Sandy Barbour
Brown left us with Greg Davis. Kelly abetted that. Letting Brown coach the bowl game was a stick in the eye.
Gladchuck didn't have a significant hire at TU (Kelly hired Clark and trusted him to let him recruit basically whomever he wanted). He was a facilities guy though - wish he had had more time at Tulane.
White hired Stockton and Jones and had a wonderful staff; but also didn't get football fixed. And he should have gotten a basketball arena done.
Barbour heeded good advice and hired Bowden...but didn't capitalize on it. More support from Cowen would have helped her.
Hindman Wall was a good AD....until English and the basketball mess.
As for Kelly, there was good and bad. Pretty good with the endowment. Not good with the law and med schools. He let football founder. Cut hoops to minimize the embarrassment (to the extent it was possible to do so) but deserves full credit for its resurrection and success.
He did really move Tulane away from southern roots, which was harmful in the long-run. They are trying to get that back, but it's tough once its gone.
Kelly was also the instigator of the dreaded "Tulane Model", which he started in the early 90's. I personally pleaded with him to stick with the NCAA requirements, and that any self-imposed higher requirements (for 300 athletes) would do nothing to enhance Tulane's academic reputation but would doom us on the field of competition. But Kelly never liked any views that didn't agree with his--we all know the rest of the story about the "Tulane Model".

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:He was President during my years at Tulane. I asked him at a Student Q&A session in the early 1990's about an on campus Stadium and he said he needed a lead gift of $15 million to move the project forward.

He hired an impressive list of Athletic Directors:

Mack Brown
Chet Gladchuck
Dr. Kevin White
Sandy Barbour
DrBox wrote: Barbour heeded good advice and hired Bowden...but didn't capitalize on it. More support from Cowen would have helped her.
Dr. Box, all evidence tells us in 1998 Barbour offered the head coaching job to RichRod but was later overruled by Cowen for the hiring instead of Scelfo.
Barbour "resigned" (fired by Cowen) on August 9, 1999, before Scelfo had coached a down in any regular season game for the Wave. Barbour, because of Cowen, was never given a chance to "capitalize on it." So, not only did Cowen not support Barbour, he instead fired her before the 1999 football season even began.

DrBox wrote: Hindman Wall was a good AD....until English and the basketball mess.
Hindman Wall passed on Lindy Infante following the 1979 season and Smith leaving in early 1980, a terrible failure of judgment by Wall or did he just want his lifelong friend Vince Gibson (yes, a very nice and decent man) to have the job instead of Infante? Another turning point for our program; anyway you look at it, Wall failed Tulane football at a very crucial time in our history. After all, we had just gone 9-2 and beaten LSU 24-13 on national television before a sellout crowd at the Dome; why hire a "washed-up" Vince Gibson with an overall losing record as head coach, we were one of the hottest programs in the country for 1979?
DrBox wrote:As for Kelly, he did really move Tulane away from southern roots, which was harmful in the long-run. They are trying to get that back, but it's tough once its gone.
And yes, I agree Dr. Box, even with an aggressive affirmative action program Kelly's last incoming freshman class was still only 9% in-state. Truly disgraceful.