Tommy Bowden...

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
gbgreenie
Surge

Bowden was asked about the Tulane coaching search and if he would consider going back to coach the Wave. He said coaching the Wave was some of his best years and would consider going back if everything was right. He reflected on what may have been if he stayed saying they matched Clemsons offer and it was very hard to leave. Says if Tulane shows a true committment in Football he would not hesitate in going back. Mentioned getting in the Big 12 would be big for the Wave. Ended by saying lets wait and see.

RobertM320
Green Wave

gbgreenie wrote:Bowden was asked about the Tulane coaching search and if he would consider going back to coach the Wave. He said coaching the Wave was some of his best years and would consider going back if everything was right. He reflected on what may have been if he stayed saying they matched Clemsons offer and it was very hard to leave. Says if Tulane shows a true committment in Football he would not hesitate in going back. Mentioned getting in the Big 12 would be big for the Wave. Ended by saying lets wait and see.
And yet all the media thinks there's no way to get someone like TB,RR or ML. Then again, they ARE the media, so of course they know that anything in the media is BS. I'd put more stock in the direct quotes I've seen from Bowden, Tuberville, Mack Brown and RichRod than ANYTHING the local media has to say.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
torbida
Surge

kind of exciting to see real interest in job.
Robert1969
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
And yet all the media thinks there's no way to get someone like TB,RR or ML. Then again, they ARE the media, so of course they know that anything in the media is BS. I'd put more stock in the direct quotes I've seen from Bowden, Tuberville, Mack Brown and RichRod than ANYTHING the local media has to say.
The college sports media as a whole is poisonous. The NCAA just approved a $2000 a year stipend for athletes that will basically drive the final nail in the coffin for the have-nots in college athletics. Why? Because the college sports media built up a lie that said that athletes are worth more to a university than those who are there solely for academics. That might seem true in the short term. But in the long term it simply isn't true. The university endowment is built largely by guys who parlayed their academic success into professional success. Even many of the boosters of athletic programs are donating not because they built fortunes playing pro-ball but because they thrived academically at whatever university, and that enabled them to thrive professionally and ultimately give to the athletic department. The $2000 stipend may not seem like much, but it essentially says that athletes are worth $2000 more a year than your top young scholars. Further, it will likely put the nail in the coffin of smaller athletic departments.
TU23
High Tide

Robert1969 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
The college sports media as a whole is poisonous. The NCAA just approved a $2000 a year stipend for athletes that will basically drive the final nail in the coffin for the have-nots in college athletics. Why? Because the college sports media built up a lie that said that athletes are worth more to a university than those who are there solely for academics. That might seem true in the short term. But in the long term it simply isn't true. The university endowment is built largely by guys who parlayed their academic success into professional success. Even many of the boosters of athletic programs are donating not because they built fortunes playing pro-ball but because they thrived academically at whatever university, and that enabled them to thrive professionally and ultimately give to the athletic department. The $2000 stipend may not seem like much, but it essentially says that athletes are worth $2000 more a year than your top young scholars. Further, it will likely put the nail in the coffin of smaller athletic departments.
Around $1 million (which is probably about what it will cost us to pay this stipend) is going to put us out of business? I really don't think so. If it does, we have just been jerking ourselves around for the past 30 years and we should just give it up. Whether or not athletes are more valuable to a university is a whole other issue and frankly it's irrelevant because the stipend was passed. We are either going to commit to being good (which means paying the stipend) or we're not. We can blame the media or society or whomever else we want, but the rules have changed and we can either do what we have to do to be good or we can whine about it like we have consistently done about things for 50 years.
RobertM320
Green Wave

TU23 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

Around $1 million (which is probably about what it will cost us to pay this stipend) is going to put us out of business? I really don't think so. If it does, we have just been jerking ourselves around for the past 30 years and we should just give it up. Whether or not athletes are more valuable to a university is a whole other issue and frankly it's irrelevant because the stipend was passed. We are either going to commit to being good (which means paying the stipend) or we're not. We can blame the media or society or whomever else we want, but the rules have changed and we can either do what we have to do to be good or we can whine about it like we have consistently done about things for 50 years.
What I've never understood is this whole concept of athletes being so needy? Do you really think they are on the field (practice/weight room/game) more than a good student is studying? I understand they can't get jobs. But, and if I'm wrong tell me, I've also heard that the football players get about $1100 a month for rent? So, when four guys rent an apartment together, they've got $4400/month to spend on rent, food, utilities, and spending money. That's more than a lot of families have. Maybe they have to go without a new set of rims on their car or that data package on their cell phone. And Robert1969 is right. The real money that comes to the University for endowments and ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS doesn't come from the former athletes making good in the pros. It comes from students who parlayed their education into something more.

By the way, where are all the big money donations from the Matt Fortes, Patrick Ramseys and J.P. Losmans of the world? You know, the guys who did parlay their athletic prowess into an NFL career. Heck, J.P. and Ramsey were first round draft choices. Where's the big bucks from them?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
sader24
Tsunami

If Tommy Bowden would've stayed we would be a Top 10 program drawing 50-60K and in either the ACC or Big 12. I know he didn't want his kids going to high school in New Orleans any longer than they had to and I think or so I've heard that was part of the decision. I also think he realizes he could've built at Tulane what his father built at FSU. My dream scenario that would never happen in a million years would be Tommy Bowden at AD (he's incredible at PR and a great organizer) and Rich Rod as head coach.
Robert1969
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
What I've never understood is this whole concept of athletes being so needy? Do you really think they are on the field (practice/weight room/game) more than a good student is studying? I understand they can't get jobs. But, and if I'm wrong tell me, I've also heard that the football players get about $1100 a month for rent? So, when four guys rent an apartment together, they've got $4400/month to spend on rent, food, utilities, and spending money. That's more than a lot of families have. Maybe they have to go without a new set of rims on their car or that data package on their cell phone. And Robert1969 is right. The real money that comes to the University for endowments and ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS doesn't come from the former athletes making good in the pros. It comes from students who parlayed their education into something more.

By the way, where are all the big money donations from the Matt Fortes, Patrick Ramseys and J.P. Losmans of the world? You know, the guys who did parlay their athletic prowess into an NFL career. Heck, J.P. and Ramsey were first round draft choices. Where's the big bucks from them?
Just for the record, I'd rather see universities set up stipends for low-income students and allow low income athletes be eligible for that, than to set aside specific athlete-only stipend. I love college athletics. I like the idea of athletic scholarships. But I don't like the idea of putting college athletes above and beyond all of the other students, particularly under the lie that athletes bring in more money for the university than the students who are there solely for academics.
sader24
Tsunami

I think the argument is that alumni are alot more likely to donate money to a University that is winning on the football field and that success on the football field is a great marketing tool that helps increase applications, donations, etc. We've stated on here numerous times the positives of a great football program from a donating standpoint and an application standpoint.
Robert1969
Riptide

sader24 wrote:If Tommy Bowden would've stayed we would be a Top 10 program drawing 50-60K and in either the ACC or Big 12. I know he didn't want his kids going to high school in New Orleans any longer than they had to and I think or so I've heard that was part of the decision.
Well, he could've moved to the North Shore for better public school options. But for what he was being offered he could easily have put them into any of the fine private schools in the area: Newman, Country Day, Jesuit, John Curtis... just to name a few.
Robert1969
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I think the argument is that alumni are alot more likely to donate money to a University that is winning on the football field and that success on the football field is a great marketing tool that helps increase applications, donations, etc. We've stated on here numerous times the positives of a great football program from a donating standpoint and an application standpoint.
There are advantages to having a fine athletic program. But Harvard, Yale, MIT, Cal Tech, aren't exactly lacking in big donors either. Yes, a fine athletic department helps, and you most certainly can benefit. But let's not give the short shrift to the academic guys who will ultimately do more for your university in the long run. As I said, in the short term athletics can be a big positive part of a university. But let's not pretend that that outweighs what guys like David Filo can do for a university.
JTLiuzza
Swell

It outweighs by megatons what David Filo can do for a university. He can write a big check. Great. He can't help Tulane garner national attention year after year, attract young people to the school in greater numbers year after year, enhance the university's brand, provide an important part of the college experience to students which is likely to pay dividends down the road with donations, provide a means to endear the university with the community and the state, etc.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Robert1969
Riptide

1ndabag wrote:It outweighs by megatons what David Filo can do for a university. He can write a big check. Great. He can't help Tulane garner national attention year after year, attract young people to the school in greater numbers year after year, enhance the university's brand, provide an important part of the college experience to students which is likely to pay dividends down the road with donations, provide a means to endear the university with the community and the state, etc.
Here's other things that can attract highly talented young people to the school in great numbers:

Having the kind of research budget so that faculty can do the kind of groundbreaking research that makes national headlines.

Having the kind of budget to attract big name faculty who can commandeer the airwaves at will. Every time Melissa Harris Perry appears on MSNBC (the most watched news network by young people) there's a big advertisement for Tulane as she is introduced as Tulane Professor of Political Science...

Having the kind of financial aid/scholarship budget that makes the University a more attractive option for students whose parents have a tight budget.

Many of your best students care as much, if not more, about these things as they do about athletics. Again, I think athletics can be an important part of a university environment, but it is hardly the most important part of it. And to a university the big checks that a David Filo can drop means a heck of a lot more.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:
1ndabag wrote:It outweighs by megatons what David Filo can do for a university. He can write a big check. Great. He can't help Tulane garner national attention year after year, attract young people to the school in greater numbers year after year, enhance the university's brand, provide an important part of the college experience to students which is likely to pay dividends down the road with donations, provide a means to endear the university with the community and the state, etc.
Here's other things that can attract highly talented young people to the school in great numbers:

Having the kind of research budget so that faculty can do the kind of groundbreaking research that makes national headlines.

Having the kind of budget to attract big name faculty who can commandeer the airwaves at will. Every time Melissa Harris Perry appears on MSNBC (the most watched news network by young people) there's a big advertisement for Tulane as she is introduced as Tulane Professor of Political Science...

Having the kind of financial aid/scholarship budget that makes the University a more attractive option for students whose parents have a tight budget.
I agree with Robert. Matt Forte being in the NFL does enhance the brand, and give us periodic national attention. But then again, a guy like David Filo can do the same thing, and on a bigger scale, if he chooses. Don't you think that if Filo were to fork up the $20M for naming rights to the stadium, have the Yahoo! Sports Stadium at Tulane would mean more than when the Bears offense goes on the field for the first time each game and they show a little photo of him, and he says "Matt Forte, running back, Tulane University"?

Just as everyone will affiliate the Mercedes Benz Superdome with New Orleans, so too would they associate the Yahoo! Sports Stadium and Tulane. Don't think Matt can provide that kind of rep.

Many of your best students care as much, if not more, about these things as they do about athletics. Again, I think athletics can be an important part of a university environment, but it is hardly the most important part of it. And to a university the big checks that a David Filo can drop means a heck of a lot more.[/quote]
Last edited by RobertM320 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I am surprised Tommy Boy had good things to say about Tulane. He had an opportunity to create something special in New Orleans. I doubt he has the fire or the energy to come back and do what he did in 97-98. RR is another story. I truly believe he can come in and be the guy who can turn around Tulane's fortunes.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:

Many of your best students care as much, if not more, about these things as they do about athletics. Again, I think athletics can be an important part of a university environment, but it is hardly the most important part of it. And to a university the big checks that a David Filo can drop means a heck of a lot more.
MSNBC? An absolute juggernaut. Commandeer the airwaves at will, huh? That's a hoot.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Robert1969
Riptide

1ndabag wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
MSNBC? An absolute juggernaut. Commandeer the airwaves at will, huh? That's a hoot.
Never mind whether you like her views or MSNBC's views. She's an asset for the university. She speaks out to a million people a night on shows like Rachel Maddow. Again, you don't have to like anyone at MSNBC, any of the views expressed at MSNBC, but having a million people a night see a Tulane University professor brought on as a political expert is nothing but a positive for Tulane. Now what if Tulane had seven or eight professors like her? It wouldn't matter if they were going on Fox, MSNBC, CNN, or one of the broadcast networks as an expert. It would be massive for student recruitment and retention.
hounddog
Low Tide

MSNBC That's hilarious
superwavefan
High Tide

ohhh...emmm...geee

This is a hilarious turn of events. To see Messieur Bowden with his hat in hand.

We cannot revise history here. Any and every interview he ever gave while he was still employed, and where he was remotely asked to comment about Tulane: Bowden NEVER turned down an opportunity for a backhanded comment/compliment. I wished I had kept some of the real gems, but I did comment on them plenty when I used to post on Nola.com

When Bowden said it was a "hard decision," that is SO a bunch of hot garbage. The real story has been documented: http://hullabaloohuddle.blogspot.com/20 ... alert.html
sader24
Tsunami

Has anyone actually seen this interview? Starting to seem suspicious.
jogger
Ripple

Didn't bowden's son go to Curtis?
DrBox
Riptide

jogger wrote:Didn't bowden's son go to Curtis?
Yes.
I always thought he liked N.O. when he was here.
DrBox
Riptide

superwavefan wrote: When Bowden said it was a "hard decision," that is SO a bunch of hot garbage. The real story has been documented: http://hullabaloohuddle.blogspot.com/20 ... alert.html
Bowden's last radio show was a disgrace. But Berthelot enabled it.
superwavefan
High Tide

here's the link to Tommy B's interview. It's at the very end of the interview, literally the last bit in the podcast. The radio guys mentioned us. They said they were "eternally grateful for Tulane going 13-0 (?)" and all he said was "Hey! Keep That Going! It's been a great week" (or something like that).

http://www.790thezone.com/instantreplay ... x?PID=1345

which, by the way, I totally El Gato negro Tommy Bowden. He talks and then Clemson promptly gets upset by Georgia Tech.
Robert1969
Riptide

superwavefan wrote:here's the link to Tommy B's interview. It's at the very end of the interview, literally the last bit in the podcast. The radio guys mentioned us. They said they were "eternally grateful for Tulane going 13-0 (?)" and all he said was "Hey! Keep That Going! It's been a great week" (or something like that).
Yeh, they meant 12-0. I didn't hear anything from him that was as positive as advertised. Nor did he say anything about being willing to come back. At the very beginning they asked him about it as well. The only thing he said was "been there, done that." Didn't seem interested at all.