Eric Price

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
JerseyWave
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:From Guerry Smith's Wave Report post spring wrap up with CJ:
"If we're going to win, the defense will carry us this year," he said. "This is the most important year for them."
https://tulane.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1747337

WTF?!?!?
Clueless Coach CJ. The offense returns every meaningful player except Drive-Killer-Donnelly. There has to be significant improvement over a year ago otherwise CJ must go!

GreenLantern
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:There has to be significant improvement over a year ago otherwise CJ must go!
I'm a big CJ fan but I agree with you. There needs to be major progress this year or else it's time to move on. Unfortunately, who do we trust to hire the replacement? Dickson? Severing ties with CJ could be a lose – lose scenario.
wave97
Swell

Severing ties with CJ could be a lose – lose scenario.

I completely agree if we get rid of CJ without bringing in a whole new crew running the athletic department.
My concern is who's reaching out to cull the herd of AD prospects. President Fitts? A consulting firm? The BOA?
Whatever happens next season I think we can all agree that CJ and staff has improved the talent level of the program. When combined with the new conference affiliation there should be some talented prospects for an AD.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If CJ can't get it done and Tulane is serious about winning they need to make a statement hire and pay the next coach $2.5 to $3 million range. The guy needs to be the highest paid coach in the AAC and if he fails to do something after 3 years he needs to be fired immediately.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

I agree. Three wins CJ being paid by Rick Dickson over a million dollars a year is unacceptable!
JDTulane
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:If CJ can't get it done and Tulane is serious about winning they need to make a statement hire and pay the next coach $2.5 to $3 million range. The guy needs to be the highest paid coach in the AAC and if he fails to do something after 3 years he needs to be fired immediately.

+1
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:
tpstulane wrote:If CJ can't get it done and Tulane is serious about winning they need to make a statement hire and pay the next coach $2.5 to $3 million range. The guy needs to be the highest paid coach in the AAC and if he fails to do something after 3 years he needs to be fired immediately.

+1
When you hire a coach on the cheap and keep him around too long it ends up costing much more than you think.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Operating at a $20mm deficit. A stadium that hasn't been paid for.....arguably the worst facilities in the league. The lowest budget in the league. A horrendous fanbase, weak donor support. An admin that is barely committed and already being pressured to cut costs and one who despite the poor performance says the budget (again the lowest int eh league) will remain the same. Yet we are going to come up with that type of cash?

Now I agree that is what we should do, but it isn't happening IMO unless there is a drastic change in how we operate. Can you imagine what the nutty profs will say once we pay a coach that much while operating at a deficit?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:

Operating at a $20mm deficit. A stadium that hasn't been paid for.....arguably the worst facilities in the league. The lowest budget in the league. A horrendous fanbase, weak donor support. An admin that is barely committed and already being pressured to cut costs and one who despite the poor performance says the budget (again the lowest int eh league) will remain the same. Yet we are going to come up with that type of cash?

Now I agree that is what we should do, but it isn't happening IMO unless there is a drastic change in how we operate. Can you imagine what the nutty profs will say once we pay a coach that much while operating at a deficit?
Need to find new donors like Kent McWilliams, Ben Weiner, Jim Wilson etc that used to aid in that cause. It would be nice if our TAF donations went directly to that cause.. LSU pays Les Miles very little of his $4.3 million contract (only $300K base salary comes from the university). The bulk of it comes from outside sources. Tulane being broke has nothing to do with paying its football coach a top salary.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Yes, we need rich dopes who can bail out the idiots who make bad decisions again and again and again. Sounds like a plan!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Need to find new donors like Kent McWilliams, Ben Weiner, Jim Wilson etc that used to aid in that cause. It would be nice if our TAF donations went directly to that cause.. LSU pays Les Miles very little of his $4.3 million contract (only $300K base salary comes from the university). The bulk of it comes from outside sources. Tulane being broke has nothing to do with paying its football coach a top salary.
Hate to be a downer, but if CJ does not win 6 / 7 games and is NOT fired...Tulane will be on it's way out of the AAC and La Tech, LaLaf, or a school from Texas will be added.... Aresco is not going to put up with Tulane's krap....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote:Yes, we need rich dopes who can bail out the idiots who make bad decisions again and again and again. Sounds like a plan!
You're missing the big picture. If we had donors like that today RD would have been run off years ago.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:

There was a lot of excitement in the air before the start of the 2014. You saw the lines of students trying to get their tickets for the first home game. If we would have beat Georgia Tech and went on to have a 6 or 7 win season, the fan base would have continued to grow. We can't continue to lose, make bad hires and keep Tulane fans frustrated and expect support from fans. Winning changes everything! I think people are underrating the talent that we are getting in our athletic programs. The football team had enough talent last season to win 6 games in our first AAC season. Our basketball team lose plenty of games that they should have won. Our baseball team has a good coach and is winning games.

I was in favor of hiring CJ, but I had no idea that he would be this much of a nice guy. Allowing the Prices brothers to hang around is unacceptable.Tapping players on their hands and sitting them in the time out chair for disrespect/skipping class/fighting and breaking other rules is insane. CJ needs to toughen up. CJ needs to find ways to win. CJ needs to call his mentor Sean Payton and ask for advice.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Need to find new donors like Kent McWilliams, Ben Weiner, Jim Wilson etc that used to aid in that cause. It would be nice if our TAF donations went directly to that cause.. LSU pays Les Miles very little of his $4.3 million contract (only $300K comes from the university). The bulk of it comes from outside sources.
I am sure many of them are tapped out or not interested. Who wants to donate to a program with no fans and horrendous results. The sad reality to me is that we need to hope that a CJ type (young or hungry under the radar hire) can get us on solid footing so we can sell tics and increase donations. Then either pay him or have the momentum to pay someone else $2.5mm. Sort of like what appears to be happening at Memphis with Fuente.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

There was a lot of excitement in the air before the start of the 2014. You saw the lines of students trying to get their tickets for the first home game. If we would have beat Georgia Tech and went on to have a 6 or 7 win season, the fan base would have continued to grow. We can't continue to lose, make bad hires and keep Tulane fans frustrated and expect support from fans. Winning changes everything! I think people are underrating the talent that we are getting in our athletic programs. The football team had enough talent last season to win 6 games in our first AAC season. Our basketball team lose plenty of games that they should have won. Our baseball team has a good coach and is winning games.

I was in favor of hiring CJ, but I had no idea that he would be this much of a nice guy. Allowing the Prices brothers to hang around is unacceptable.Tapping players on their hands and sitting them in the time out chair for disrespect/skipping class/fighting and breaking other rules is insane. CJ needs to toughen up. CJ needs to find ways to win. CJ needs to call his mentor Sean Payton and ask for advice.
That was all about opening of the stadium plus a little bit of excitement from the lowly bowl game. I think most of that is gone and there will be a huge drop off in season tickets. However, if we win the fans will start to come back but at this point that's a big if. The tough early schedule will not help the cause.

I will buy my three tics but without drastic changes fromt eh admin, am not optimistic and I wish I didn't feel that way. In the end it will come down to Lee, but CJ has messed up badly by not giving a young QB the WR support he needs, it's mind boggling from a former NFL WR coach.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If Tulane was a financial Institution, it would be asking for a "Federal Bailout"... These guy's are terrible....R.O.I. is not a term they are familiar with !!!!...But they still want their huge checks and bonus monies !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

MicMan wrote:Yes, we need rich dopes who can bail out the idiots who make bad decisions again and again and again. Sounds like a plan!
That's the thing about rich athletics donors who are Tulane fans.
They won't put up with dopes. Those dopes would be kicked out of the door. The only dope they'd deal with, if he is a dope, is the President.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
That's the thing about rich athletics donors who are Tulane fans.
They won't put up with dopes. Those dopes would be kicked out of the door. The only dope they'd deal with, if he is a dope, is the President.
OMG !!! Ya mean there will not be a "Jerry Springer" IPF ?!?!?!?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
You're missing the big picture. If we had donors like that today RD would have been run off years ago.
Is that the cause or the effect, though?

It doesn't take diehard sports fans on the Board and at Gibson Hall to grade Dickson's performance in the context of the best interests of Tulane University. The current Board members, sports fans or not, have a LEGALLY BINDING OBLIGATION to act in the best interests of the University, and right now they are putting their personal wealth on the line in backing Dickson.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

It kills me, because the above statement still rests on the belief that Tulane intends to win games. The fact is that the job req will say "We'll pay you $2.5M-$3M but you must abide by our arcane rules that will put you at a disadvantage vs your peers and you must not question the Cowen/Dickson power structure". When you think about it through that lens, you see that no one worth that kind of money would agree to those terms, hence the result of every FB/MBB coaching search for the last 10 years. Good candidates will not work at Tulane.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave QB wrote:. Allowing the Prices brothers to hang around is unacceptable.
Did he "allow" the Price brothers to stick around or was he told to keep the Price brothers around. Because there are at least rumors...
RobertM320
Green Wave

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

It doesn't take diehard sports fans on the Board and at Gibson Hall to grade Dickson's performance in the context of the best interests of Tulane University. The current Board members, sports fans or not, have a LEGALLY BINDING OBLIGATION to act in the best interests of the University, and right now they are putting their personal wealth on the line in backing Dickson.

But are they really? Its like the question, "If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does it make a sound?" If no one is able or willing to step up and challenge them legally, then they're not really risking anything, are they?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

But are they really? Its like the question, "If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does it make a sound?" If no one is able or willing to step up and challenge them legally, then they're not really risking anything, are they?
Well it's more like everyone is standing right in front of the tree falling and knows exactly whether it makes a sound and yet no one is willing to speak up and acknowledge the obvious. Considering the stakes I can't think of a more damning indictment of Tulane alumni than that.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Hired today by the Jaguars of Jacksonville as an offensive ANALYST and ASSISTANT receivers coach.

Jags headed down rapidly.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Going to be CJ’s OC once again for the Houston Gamblers .

https://www.usflnetwork.com/post/curtis-johnson-era
Price was Johnson's offensive coordinator at Tulane for all three years, and joins him again with his move to the USFL. Under Coach Sumlin, Eric Price was set to be the wide receivers coach, but under Johnson, it is fair to assume he will be promoting to offensive coordinator and QB coach, while Johnson takes over receivers on top of head coaching duties. This move for Price makes too much sense as he has already been OC under Johnson, and in his hiatus from coaching was traveling the country holding QB camps for young quarterbacks preparing for their division 1 opportunities. It is exciting to think of what Coach Price can do with Bahar, Wilson, and Cozart.
Tulane Class of 1981