Re: Tanzel Smart

Postby tpstulane » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:00 am

Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Smart is definitely an NFL talent. I would love it if the Giants or Saints drafted him (probably in the 3rd round). He's got an Eveready Bunny type of mentality, and rarely takes a play off. If he were 6'5" he's probably a 1st round pick.

The OLB/DE that is coming in from Tennessee is actually an inch taller than Smart, but didn't get many offers (and no P5 offers) because "he's too small". I know their careers won't overlap, but this young man should use Smart as an example of what he can become despite not being a 6'5" DL.

" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

wave97
Swell

Postby wave97 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 pm

There's no doubt that Tanzel has a good motor. However, he is a projected 3rd to 5th round draft pick because he has a freakishly fast come-off that neutralizes the tall long armed 0-lineman. Tanzel is into them before they can set and when he's playing a one-gap, he's up field & wreaking havoc before they can react. You can't teach what he has, it's given by God.

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:18 pm

There is no doubt he is going to make whoever drafts him happy that they did and he will be considered a steal no matter what round he gets drafted in.

It's the facilities stupid!

Jaxwave
Surge

Postby Jaxwave » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 pm

I hope you are correct, but with all due respect, there's always doubt a 6' DT under 300 lbs will make it in the NFL.

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Official story:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/1/ ... l-win.aspx

Tom Shaw left FSU to come work at Tulane to be in a city w/an NFL team Things worked out well for him.

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 am

winwave wrote:Official story:

Tom Shaw left FSU to come work at Tulane to be in a city w/an NFL team Things worked out well for him.

Thanks for the link.

That article mentions nothing about Coach Tom Shaw (who is working with Smart) working for Tulane. Looking a little deeper, THIS Tom Shaw, a track athlete in college, worked for the Saints before starting his own "Performance Center" in Orlando (ironically, a city without an NFL team). He's worked with 12 of the last 14 Super Bowl MVP's.

To my knowledge, THIS Tom Shaw never worked for Tulane. This is NOT the Tom Shaw that was the golf coach at Tulane. My buddie's son plays for THAT Tom Shaw at Abiline Christian University.

" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:29 pm

DfromCT wrote:

Thanks for the link.

That article mentions nothing about Coach Tom Shaw (who is working with Smart) working for Tulane. Looking a little deeper, THIS Tom Shaw, a track athlete in college, worked for the Saints before starting his own "Performance Center" in Orlando (ironically, a city without an NFL team). He's worked with 12 of the last 14 Super Bowl MVP's.

To my knowledge, THIS Tom Shaw never worked for Tulane. This is NOT the Tom Shaw that was the golf coach at Tulane. My buddie's son plays for THAT Tom Shaw at Abiline Christian University.

It is the Tom Shaw that worked for Tulane football under Teevens. He was brought in as a speed coach and the hire was greeted w/applause for Tulane doing something that was then considered out of the box. As I noted he wanted to work where there was an NFL team . He was clearly looking to climb the ladder and did. I'm sure the writer has no idea of Shaw's connection to Tulane.

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:37 pm

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Thanks for the link.

It is the Tom Shaw that worked for Tulane football under Teevens. He was brought in as a speed coach and the hire was greeted w/applause for Tulane doing something that was then considered out of the box. As I noted he wanted to work where there was an NFL team . He was clearly looking to climb the ladder and did. I'm sure the writer has no idea of Shaw's connection to Tulane.

I didn't know he worked under Coach Teevens, and he must have returned to FSU because he was there immediately before going to the Saints. Ten minutes on the Internet couldn't find the Tulane connection other than to the Golf Coach, but that doesn't mean the speed coach never worked for Teevens. Another connection is that his High School track coach was a man named Kevin White. That's right, the man whom would later become Dr. Kevin White, AD at Tulane (whom hired Sandy Barbour) whom went to Notre Dame and is now the AD at Duke.

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Duh. Thus his connection at Tulane as White was the AD then. He didn't go back to FSU. He went from Tulane to the Saints. The internet is far from perfect.

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 am

winwave wrote:Duh. Thus his connection at Tulane as White was the AD then. He didn't go back to FSU. He went from Tulane to the Saints. The internet is far from perfect.

And you constantly accuse me of being snarky? :roll:

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:28 am

Doesn't feel good does it? :mrgreen:

golfnut69
Tsunami

Smart is a Ram

Postby golfnut69 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:41 pm

headin' to L.A. and that ain't "Lower Alabama"

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

winwave
Wild Pelican

Re: Smart is a Ram

Postby winwave » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Congrats and best of luck!

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Hope he makes all the teams that kept passing on him in the draft remember that they underestimated him. Best wishes, T Smart!

greenphantom
Swell

Postby greenphantom » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 pm

I have got to think that with his high motor that he will have a nice, lengthy career in the NFL.

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:43 pm

This should be in the former players forum.

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:29 pm

winwave wrote:This should be in the former players forum.

winwave has spoken...so let it be written...so let it be done !!!!!

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:53 am

golfnut69 wrote:

Who the hell cares which forum this is posted in? REALLY...Have you nothing more important than to criticize where this post was made? Smart is a Ram, he finished his Tulane football career in December. I assume he is graduating sometime in the next week or two. Good luck and ROLL WAVE!

Bigschtick
Swell

Postby Bigschtick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:40 am

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Who the hell cares which forum this is posted in? REALLY...Have you nothing more important than to criticize where this post was made? Smart is a Ram, he finished his Tulane football career in December. I assume he is graduating sometime in the next week or two. Good luck and ROLL WAVE!

Plus 1 . Winwave, I respect you and your opinions but please stop the pettiness!

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:03 am

Bigschtick wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Plus 1 . Winwave, I respect you and your opinions but please stop the pettiness!

Not petty at all. This clearly belongs in the former players forum. Not everybody looks all the way down all the various forums. Pretty clear cut. No reason to lose your marbles over it.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am

Thanks for clearing that up mods.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lurker123
Swell

Postby lurker123 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 am

winwave wrote:Congrats to Tanzel on being picked in the 6th round by the Rams. May he have a long and prosperous career.

Amen. Fun player to watch. Better yet from Baton Rouge!!