Tanzel Smart

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
OUG
Riptide

Tweet from Lyn Clark (Damn, im going to love this dude in green):
We gon be #turntup next week and I'm rooming with Tanzel Smart coach said get em i was like gott em #Rollwave #TulaneFam
Smart (DT, Scotlandville Magnet) could be our last target, assuming we are holding out spots for Blanchard and Riley. He is 6'2 290 and has offers from Memphis, North Texas, UTSA and some HBC's. 247 sports has him at 3 stars and #56 in LA (#67 DT nationally). He is 5A All State.

AugWave
Swell

He has a teammate that's committed to UTSA, all in his ear. I doubt he goes there though. If he's visiting with the rest of the guys, I'm 95% sure he'll commit.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
OUG
Riptide

AugWave wrote:He has a teammate that's committed to UTSA, all in his ear. I doubt he goes there though. If he's visiting with the rest of the guys, I'm 95% sure he'll commit.
If we can't get a guy that we want from our backyard to commit to us over UTSA, I'd be shocked.

I wonder what happens in these cases when you get down to the nitty gritty of two or three scholarships left, and there is 1 or 2 guys out there you would do anything to have... What happens to the other guys you've offered? How is that situation managed?
AugWave
Swell

OUG wrote:
AugWave wrote:He has a teammate that's committed to UTSA, all in his ear. I doubt he goes there though. If he's visiting with the rest of the guys, I'm 95% sure he'll commit.
If we can't get a guy that we want from our backyard to commit to us over UTSA, I'd be shocked.

I wonder what happens in these cases when you get down to the nitty gritty of two or three scholarships left, and there is 1 or 2 guys out there you would do anything to have... What happens to the other guys you've offered? How is that situation managed?
Hey, you never know with some guys. Same reason why that player went to New Mexico over all the Florida schools that his friends and teammates were going to. Sometimes they just want to go somewhere else. *shrug* That's all I can come up with :lol: .

As far as those players that get left out there.. they just get left out there. I don't know much about it since none of my friends or family members have ever been in that predicament. We're too good to be left out :mrgreen: ..
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Smart is definitely an NFL talent. I would love it if the Giants or Saints drafted him (probably in the 3rd round). He's got an Eveready Bunny type of mentality, and rarely takes a play off. If he were 6'5" he's probably a 1st round pick.

The OLB/DE that is coming in from Tennessee is actually an inch taller than Smart, but didn't get many offers (and no P5 offers) because "he's too small". I know their careers won't overlap, but this young man should use Smart as an example of what he can become despite not being a 6'5" DL.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

There's no doubt that Tanzel has a good motor. However, he is a projected 3rd to 5th round draft pick because he has a freakishly fast come-off that neutralizes the tall long armed 0-lineman. Tanzel is into them before they can set and when he's playing a one-gap, he's up field & wreaking havoc before they can react. You can't teach what he has, it's given by God.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There is no doubt he is going to make whoever drafts him happy that they did and he will be considered a steal no matter what round he gets drafted in.
Jaxwave
Swell

I hope you are correct, but with all due respect, there's always doubt a 6' DT under 300 lbs will make it in the NFL.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Official story:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/1/ ... l-win.aspx

Tom Shaw left FSU to come work at Tulane to be in a city w/an NFL team Things worked out well for him.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Official story:

Tom Shaw left FSU to come work at Tulane to be in a city w/an NFL team Things worked out well for him.
Thanks for the link.

That article mentions nothing about Coach Tom Shaw (who is working with Smart) working for Tulane. Looking a little deeper, THIS Tom Shaw, a track athlete in college, worked for the Saints before starting his own "Performance Center" in Orlando (ironically, a city without an NFL team). He's worked with 12 of the last 14 Super Bowl MVP's.

To my knowledge, THIS Tom Shaw never worked for Tulane. This is NOT the Tom Shaw that was the golf coach at Tulane. My buddie's son plays for THAT Tom Shaw at Abiline Christian University.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:

Thanks for the link.

That article mentions nothing about Coach Tom Shaw (who is working with Smart) working for Tulane. Looking a little deeper, THIS Tom Shaw, a track athlete in college, worked for the Saints before starting his own "Performance Center" in Orlando (ironically, a city without an NFL team). He's worked with 12 of the last 14 Super Bowl MVP's.

To my knowledge, THIS Tom Shaw never worked for Tulane. This is NOT the Tom Shaw that was the golf coach at Tulane. My buddie's son plays for THAT Tom Shaw at Abiline Christian University.
It is the Tom Shaw that worked for Tulane football under Teevens. He was brought in as a speed coach and the hire was greeted w/applause for Tulane doing something that was then considered out of the box. As I noted he wanted to work where there was an NFL team . He was clearly looking to climb the ladder and did. I'm sure the writer has no idea of Shaw's connection to Tulane.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Thanks for the link.

It is the Tom Shaw that worked for Tulane football under Teevens. He was brought in as a speed coach and the hire was greeted w/applause for Tulane doing something that was then considered out of the box. As I noted he wanted to work where there was an NFL team . He was clearly looking to climb the ladder and did. I'm sure the writer has no idea of Shaw's connection to Tulane.
I didn't know he worked under Coach Teevens, and he must have returned to FSU because he was there immediately before going to the Saints. Ten minutes on the Internet couldn't find the Tulane connection other than to the Golf Coach, but that doesn't mean the speed coach never worked for Teevens. Another connection is that his High School track coach was a man named Kevin White. That's right, the man whom would later become Dr. Kevin White, AD at Tulane (whom hired Sandy Barbour) whom went to Notre Dame and is now the AD at Duke.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Duh. Thus his connection at Tulane as White was the AD then. He didn't go back to FSU. He went from Tulane to the Saints. The internet is far from perfect.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Duh. Thus his connection at Tulane as White was the AD then. He didn't go back to FSU. He went from Tulane to the Saints. The internet is far from perfect.
And you constantly accuse me of being snarky? :roll:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Doesn't feel good does it? :mrgreen:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

headin' to L.A. and that ain't "Lower Alabama"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats and best of luck!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Hope he makes all the teams that kept passing on him in the draft remember that they underestimated him. Best wishes, T Smart!
greenphantom
Swell

I have got to think that with his high motor that he will have a nice, lengthy career in the NFL.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This should be in the former players forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:This should be in the former players forum.
winwave has spoken...so let it be written...so let it be done !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:This should be in the former players forum.
winwave has spoken...so let it be written...so let it be done !!!!!
Who the hell cares which forum this is posted in? REALLY...Have you nothing more important than to criticize where this post was made? Smart is a Ram, he finished his Tulane football career in December. I assume he is graduating sometime in the next week or two. Good luck and ROLL WAVE!