Maybe a JC connection

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Yeah, but his JUCO team is averaging a whopping 143 ypg. I don't think that bodes well for a D1 QB.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Yeah, but his JUCO team is averaging a whopping 143 ypg. I don't think that bodes well for a D1 QB.
He was a good QB. Wally brought him in from Notre Dame. I think they had some connection from when Wally was recruiting him as OC for Pitt. He married a Tulane girl. Who says coaching isn't a tough gig?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Yeah, but his JUCO team is averaging a whopping 143 ypg. I don't think that bodes well for a D1 QB.
He was a good QB. Wally brought him in from Notre Dame. I think they had some connection from when Wally was recruiting him as OC for Pitt. He married a Tulane girl. Who says coaching isn't a tough gig?
Karcher was a pretty good QB.

I don't get the connection between my post and your reply. Perhaps you thought the last sentence (in my original post) was referring to Karcher; it was not. I was thinking about the QB that plays for his offense, only averaging 143 ypg at JUCO.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Maybe you need to re-read the site. The team is averaging 362 yards per game. The 143 is passing yards. And they're averaging 31 points a game.

The QB there is Dominic Marino.

101-192 (52.6%), 23 TDs, 8 ints, 1437 yards. Only sacked 4 times all season.

Also rushed 111 times for 564 yards, a 5.1YPC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
Maybe you need to re-read the site. The team is averaging 362 yards per game. The 143 is passing yards. And they're averaging 31 points a game.

The QB there is Dominic Marino.

101-192 (52.6%), 23 TDs, 8 ints, 1437 yards. Only sacked 4 times all season.

Also rushed 111 times for 564 yards, a 5.1YPC.
I meant passing yards, my bad for not saying so. I never got to the individual stats, but 143 passing yards/game is not a lot. Those stats are impressive, but the team is only 5-5. I'd bet with those stats they run an offense similar to Fritz's offense. But that would be surprising given that Karcher was a pro-style drop back passer. You may be right, maybe Mr. Marino is our next QB!
RobertM320
Green Wave

They were 5-5 overall, 5-2 in conference. A 10 games season would mean roughly 19 pass attempts/game and 11 rushing attempts. Fairly balanced. Haven't looked for any highlight clips yet.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I did a google search for Dominic Marino Hudl. It seems that this is his second season and second community college in Mississippi. His current team runs an offense similar to ours; the biggest difference is they often have 5 receivers out running patterns. We need to keep players in to protect. I have to wonder, given two years at JUCOs if he's academically viable. I have no knowledge, but it's curious that he spent two years at JUCO.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/1190701/57f ... 1c38b25ab3

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6268500/dominic-marino

But then, further down the page in my google search, I find a Senior (class of 2017) at Venice (FL) HS that looks a whole lot like the two other Dominic Marino's!

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/1190701/572 ... 5540748d5a

Maybe there's three Dominic Marino's. Maybe we should go after all three! It's very strange, these three Hudl pages are linked by a single profile.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And we can give them all the same number! That should confuse the opposition!

Actually, if you click on the last link, you'll see that the senior highlights were posted in April 2016, which would mean his senior year was 2015. That would make this his first season of JC. Also, I only found stats for one season of JC ball.
RobertM320
Green Wave

That really is confusing. He's listed with highlights at two different JC's, Coahoma and East Central. And in the East Central highlights he's playing against Coahoma!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:That really is confusing. He's listed with highlights at two different JC's, Coahoma and East Central. And in the East Central highlights he's playing against Coahoma!
He graduated HS in 2014. I found his senior year highlights, and they were identical to those posted last April. So he went from one JUCO (Coahoma) to another (East Central). Not unheard of, nor is spending 2 years in JUCO unheard of. The picture attached to the two JUCO highlights and the HS highlight sure looks like Mr. Dom Marino is one person!

I wonder if our coaching staff is recruiting him?
DrBox
Riptide

wave97 wrote:
He played better for the Broncos than he did at Tulane.
Remember that Miss State game? More ints than completions.
lurker123
Swell

I'm glad Karcher came to Tulane and am happy he is an alum. Maybe at the right time, he puts in a good word for Tulane to interested prospects. How often does that happen now (truthfully) in the State of Tulane. We all suspect and know that it's not enough. To be a JUCO coach in rural Mississippi and not born and bred in this area, one must admire his interest and dedication to coaching. He obviously is not doing it for the money. We need him and many more like him who can help each in his own way to improve Tulane recruiting.

What's with the crabbiness about how an alum played at Tulane three decades ago? Sheesh......
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
wave97 wrote:
I didn't remember that he played for the Broncos, but you're right he did.

I was about to post that you might be confusing Karcher for Bubby Brister. Brister had extensive playing time with the Broncos. I remember John Madden talking about "big men, sweating and swearing, holding hands in the huddle, and in comes a guy named Bubby". I think he tried to change his name to Bubba shortly thereafter! Bubby (and his Dad) took his ball and ran to UL-M (?) after the coach benched him for a more effective QB. I may be wrong, but I think that coach was Wally English and we had to forfeit the wins his son generated, anyway!
Last edited by DfromCT on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was Jon English.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote:
wave97 wrote:

I was about to post that you might be confusing Karcher for Bubby Brister. Brister had extensive playing time with the Broncos. I remember John Madden talking about "big men, sweating and swearing, holding hands in the huddle, and in comes a guy named Bubby". I think he tried to change his name to Bubba shortly thereafter! Bubby (and his Dad) took his ball and ran to UL-M (?) after the coach benched him for a more effective QB. I may be wrong, but I think that coach was Wally English and we had to forfeit the wins his son generated, anyway!
Brister played two seasons

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... aaEaTqRWOQ
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote:
wave97 wrote:

Brister played two seasons with Denver....

Brister's son is now QB for Mandeville HS on the north shore(same school that Glen Cuillette attended).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote:
wave97 wrote:

Three, but who's counting? ;)
Elway was forced to sit out a number of games due to injury and Brister started those games in his place. He played well and the Broncos went undefeated in all of his starts (4-0); Brister also broke the team's (then) record for longest rushing touchdown by a quarterback[4] and recorded a higher passer rating than Elway. However, when Elway retired in 1999, Brister was passed over for the starting spot in favor of Brian Griese, and the Broncos released him after that season. During his three seasons with the Broncos, he won two Super Bowl rings.
I'll admit that Madden's remarks probably came on the MNF game he started as a Steeler.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote:
wave97 wrote:

Three, but who's counting? ;)
Elway was forced to sit out a number of games due to injury and Brister started those games in his place. He played well and the Broncos went undefeated in all of his starts (4-0); Brister also broke the team's (then) record for longest rushing touchdown by a quarterback[4] and recorded a higher passer rating than Elway. However, when Elway retired in 1999, Brister was passed over for the starting spot in favor of Brian Griese, and the Broncos released him after that season. During his three seasons with the Broncos, he won two Super Bowl rings.
I'll admit that Madden's remarks probably came on the MNF game he started as a Steeler.
I would not call the 1997 or 1999 exactly "playing' !!!! more like VP of "clip board operations"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... cP13mT3SKw
wave97
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
DrBox wrote:
wave97 wrote:

Brister's son is now QB for Mandeville HS on the north shore(same school that Glen Cuillette attended).
I wouldn't necessarily count on a positive Father to Son recomendation for attending Tulane. We got Brister as a QB because the SEC had a rule that if you went pro in any sport you could not return to any SEC program (Brister went pro out of high school with the Detriot Tigers), and Burt Jones told him not to go to LSU under Jerry Stovall. Out of high school Brister committed to Alabama before deciding to go pro in baseball.
What a lot of people may not know is that Brister's throwing shoulder was injured badly from throwing too much during 1983 Summer camp (there seemed to be an indifference from the offensive coaching staff), he didn't play well in the first two games against State & Ole Miss, which led to the coaches Son playing.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: I wouldn't necessarily count on a positive Father to Son recomendation for attending Tulane. We got Brister as a QB because the SEC had a rule that if you went pro in any sport you could not return to any SEC program (Brister went pro out of high school with the Detriot Tigers), and Burt Jones told him not to go to LSU under Jerry Stovall. Out of high school Brister committed to Alabama before deciding to go pro in baseball.
What a lot of people may not know is that Brister's throwing shoulder was injured badly from throwing too much during 1983 Summer camp (there seemed to be an indifference from the offensive coaching staff), he didn't play well in the first two games against State & Ole Miss, which led to the coaches Son playing.
Yes, and Bubby's daddy went to the office of Eamon Kelly asking him to tell the Head Football Coach not to bench Bubby. When Kelly refused to get involved, he transferred. I wouldn't expect Brister to send his son to Tulane at all. And that's ok.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote: I wouldn't necessarily count on a positive Father to Son recomendation for attending Tulane. We got Brister as a QB because the SEC had a rule that if you went pro in any sport you could not return to any SEC program (Brister went pro out of high school with the Detriot Tigers), and Burt Jones told him not to go to LSU under Jerry Stovall. Out of high school Brister committed to Alabama before deciding to go pro in baseball.
Yes, and Bubby's daddy went to the office of Eamon Kelly asking him to tell the Head Football Coach not to bench Bubby. When Kelly refused to get involved, he transferred. I wouldn't expect Brister to send his son to Tulane at all. And that's ok.
I've seen Bubby from time to time over here in Covington. I spoke to him in Home Depot about Tulane not long ago. Believe it or not he had a very positive response about the school. He also came in for the New Orleans Bowl and the grand opening of Yulman. So don't disqualify his son just yet.
Now Wally English is another story. He shares the same feeling all Tulane fans do about him. Lol.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981