Cairo Santos

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
MicMan
Swell

"great" LOL

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Cairo was signed by the Titans.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Funny thing. I was on the way to work today just as the early games were starting. I've got Baker Mayfield on my fantasy team, so I turned on SiriusXM and found the TEN-CLE game. It started with Santos kicking off to Dontrell Hillard, who returned it 32 yards. Mayfield got them down to the 4 yard line, and instead of Chubb, the Browns brought in Hillard and he got the 4 yd TD run.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Cairo lighting it up. Right down the middle from 53 yards!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good for Cairo.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:06 pm Funny thing. I was on the way to work today just as the early games were starting. I've got Baker Mayfield on my fantasy team, so I turned on SiriusXM and found the TEN-CLE game. It started with Santos kicking off to Dontrell Hillard, who returned it 32 yards. Mayfield got them down to the 4 yard line, and instead of Chubb, the Browns brought in Hillard and he got the 4 yd TD run.
Unfortunately, I think Dontrell is in the concussion protocol.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tough day for Cairo yesterday. The following is from Peter King's FMIA (Football Morning in America). If you don't read it, you should.

Each week King selects offensive, defensive, and special team players of the week. He also selects a couple for the worst performances. This week, Cairo made his list for special teams:
Peter King wrote:Cairo Santos, kicker, Tennessee. In a 14-7 loss to the Bills, Santos pushed a 50-yard field goal try wide left, kicked a 36-yarder wide right, had a 33-yarder blocked, and, for good measure, missed a 53-yarder wide left. You won’t have a job long kicking like that. “I don’t feel sorry for myself—I feel sorry for my teammates and coaches,” he said. “I am very shocked right now.” Question is: Will Santos be very employed in Nashville this week?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 am Tough day for Cairo yesterday. The following is from Peter King's FMIA (Football Morning in America). If you don't read it, you should.

Each week King selects offensive, defensive, and special team players of the week. He also selects a couple for the worst performances. This week, Cairo made his list for special teams:
Peter King wrote:Cairo Santos, kicker, Tennessee. In a 14-7 loss to the Bills, Santos pushed a 50-yard field goal try wide left, kicked a 36-yarder wide right, had a 33-yarder blocked, and, for good measure, missed a 53-yarder wide left. You won’t have a job long kicking like that. “I don’t feel sorry for myself—I feel sorry for my teammates and coaches,” he said. “I am very shocked right now.” Question is: Will Santos be very employed in Nashville this week?
there will be a job open in Dallas soon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Cairo is going back to the Bears.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Game winner

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good for him.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Lest we forget how good Cairo Santos was for us and is for Chicago, check out this stat from Peter King. In the last 20 years, the kickers have gotten incredibly accurate. Although Santos’ percentage over 50 yards compares unfavorably to the others, he ranks fourth overall.

Another interesting factoid: Daniel Carlson’s percentage of successful FGs over 50 yards is greater than the overall percentage made by the best kickers 20 years ago.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:00 am Lest we forget how good Cairo Santos was for us and is for Chicago, check out this stat from Peter King. In the last 20 years, the kickers have gotten incredibly accurate. Although Santos’ percentage over 50 yards compares unfavorably to the others, he ranks fourth overall.

Another interesting factoid: Daniel Carlson’s percentage of successful FGs over 50 yards is greater than the overall percentage made by the best kickers 20 years ago.
I love Cairo, and think it was a horrible story about how his quest for the most consecutive FG's made in NCAA D1 history came up a few kicks short due to a miss in Syracuse. He met the team there after returning from Brazil (?) where he was attending his father's funeral. The snapper bounced the snap, the timing was ruined and Cairo had a routine 40-something yard kick blocked, ending the streak. I believe his streak was snapped at 27 or 28 the record at the time was 31 or 32. And included in his streak were game winners and multiple 50+ yard FG's.

That said, if my NFL team is lining up for a long FG to win the game, stats be damned, I want Justin Tucker kicking it. The other point I'll make is that we will never recruit kickers the way we did when we were in the Dome. We were spoiled, it was a kicker's heaven. From Eddie Murray to Cairo, and everyone in between I think our kicking game was better every year in the Dome than any year since.
Dave breslin
Swell

Didn’t Eddie have a nfl record for awhile? He made the dome look small with his kicks
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You are right about the record. He made a 54 yard FG in the playoffs in 1983 which was a playoff record at the time. He also tied the NFL record for accuracy for a season in both 1988 and 1989. He had a damn good NFL career. He is also one of the few kickers to get drafted into the league.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Although Valentino Ambrosio hasn’t had a lengthy Tulane career to compare to our all-time greats, you can make the argument that there has never been a more important kick in Tulane football history than the one that he made to win the Cotton Bowl 46-45.

What’s that? You say that it’s an automatic point-after and that the play lacked the pressure of all the prior plays in that drive? Well I just watched the Dallas kicker miss his first four point-after attempts in tonight’s playoff game against the Bucs. FOUR in a row! Valentino should never have to buy a beer if there’s a single Tulane fan in the bar.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Overall that was that kickers 5th missed XP in a row. He missed his last one last week.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NFL extra points are snapped from the 15 yard line making it equivilent to a 32 yard FG. In college, it's snapped from the 3. The change in distance lead to a huge increase in missed XP's. It's not leg strength, it's that a mis-hit kick has a much greater chance of not going through the uprights from an extra 12 yards out. So Mr. Ambrosio can go down as making one of the most important extra points in Tulane history, but it was just an extra point snapped from the 3 yard line.

What's ironic about Maher missing so many extra points at a crucial time of the season is he had an outstanding year. Clearly, the first miss, coupled with his last kick in the regular season, started living in his head.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D-just to clarify in the NFL they snap it back 8 yards instead of 7 so it's a 33 yard kick.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Maher was 50 of 52 during the season prior to his very last kick of the season that he missed. Then he proceeded to miss 4 more in the game last night.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
puffy
Surge

Cairo just signed a 4 year extension with the Bears for $16M. Great for him!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/391 ... ource-says
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:25 am Cairo just signed a 4 year extension with the Bears for $16M. Great for him!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/391 ... ource-says
Beautiful!! Hopefully FTW gets a few of those coins!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Happy for him. Had some bumps along the way but is thriving now.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

$9 Million guaranteed. Not very common for a kicker to have such a deal. Congrats Cairo.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:00 am Lest we forget how good Cairo Santos was for us and is for Chicago, check out this stat from Peter King. In the last 20 years, the kickers have gotten incredibly accurate. Although Santos’ percentage over 50 yards compares unfavorably to the others, he ranks fourth overall.

Update to today. Cairo has gone 29-31 in FG this season, including 6-6 from 50+.
106-116 .914 and 50+ 12-14 .857, His 50+ pct is the highest on the list now.