Coach Pierce and Allen to Texas

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would hope that Coach Pierce stays a couple of more years, if not for the rest of his career. That being said, if he leaves, I trust Troy Dannen to get us a very good replacement. If nothing else, I would think working with Dannen, and having his buddy Fritz down the hall, might play into our favor in terms of keeping Pierce. I can't imagine that money would be the issue. The Tulane baseball HC job has historically paid well vis a vis the other "name" programs in the NCAA baseball world.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I would hope that Coach Pierce stays a couple of more years, if not for the rest of his career. That being said, if he leaves, I trust Troy Dannen to get us a very good replacement. If nothing else, I would think working with Dannen, and having his buddy Fritz down the hall, might play into our favor in terms of keeping Pierce. I can't imagine that money would be the issue. The Tulane baseball HC job has historically paid well vis a vis the other "name" programs in the NCAA baseball world.
The program lost money for several years. It doesn't currently pay near what it did. An Alabama would probably double or triple his current salary. The good news is we have TD who will be on top of getting that issue rectified.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:IMO if the Head Coach of Tulane misses two straight ncaa tourneys he should be on the hot seat as well. We should be a consistent top 15 program.
Absolutely this.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I would hope that Coach Pierce stays a couple of more years, if not for the rest of his career. That being said, if he leaves, I trust Troy Dannen to get us a very good replacement. If nothing else, I would think working with Dannen, and having his buddy Fritz down the hall, might play into our favor in terms of keeping Pierce. I can't imagine that money would be the issue. The Tulane baseball HC job has historically paid well vis a vis the other "name" programs in the NCAA baseball world.
Financially we can only go so high. He'll get $1 million to go to Texas. Probably $850K at Bama. Coach Pierce seems like a guy that likes a challenge. I know he and his wife like it here very much. His name will definitely be in the top 3 or 4 mentioned in any high profile job. TD needs to have a short list ready in case he does leave. I like Andy and Matt on that short list. Shawn Allen probably follows Pierce to his next stop.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
sader24 wrote:IMO if the Head Coach of Tulane misses two straight ncaa tourneys he should be on the hot seat as well. We should be a consistent top 15 program.
Absolutely this.
Jones missed six years....reality?
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Absolutely this.
Not typical circumstances. Katrina hurt us for a while, Jones had earned himself some goodwill too. Took the program to new heights and turned down offers from some bigger programs. Also Rick Dickson is gone. So let's not act like those were ordinary circumstances
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Absolutely this.
Not typical circumstances. Katrina hurt us for a while, Jones had earned himself some goodwill too. Took the program to new heights and turned down offers from some bigger programs. Also Rick Dickson is gone. So let's not act like those were ordinary circumstances
The point remains, folks are talking TWO years, Jones went SIX!!!! I don't recall folks going crazy calling for Jones head even after year 3....4...5 and many said little during 6.
sader24
Tsunami

Jones went to 2 CWS and one as the #1 seed. We got hit by Katrina, he was under the Cowen/Dickson regime. I'm led to believe that under Fitts/Dannen we are full speed ahead on Athletics. Under that supposed commitment and with 64 teams making the tourney, if someone misses two years in a row his ass should be on the hot seat. Either we have expectations and accountability or we don't.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

from the Austin newspapers and Longhorn central

http://www.hookem.com/story/baseball-op ... t-jackpot/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:from the Austin newspapers and Longhorn central

Looks like Texas can't stack scholarships either.
Among the drawbacks Texas presents is the inability for a coach through additional resources to stretch the program’s 11.7 allotted baseball scholarships. At Florida, O’Sullivan is able to tap into the Bright Futures academic scholarship, which saves him from dipping into athletic aid. As of Thursday, Texas had not contacted O’Sullivan.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:from the Austin newspapers and Longhorn central

Looks like Texas can't stack scholarships either.
Among the drawbacks Texas presents is the inability for a coach through additional resources to stretch the program’s 11.7 allotted baseball scholarships. At Florida, O’Sullivan is able to tap into the Bright Futures academic scholarship, which saves him from dipping into athletic aid. As of Thursday, Texas had not contacted O’Sullivan.
Successful programs like Florida and Vandy find ways around the 11.7
The huge Texas talent pool helps alleviate that in some ways. All the coaches know what schools get around the 11.7 and how they do it. LSU uses TOPS, Vandy's huge endowment allows it to lower its need based scholarships and stacks, Rice has minority scholarships and stacks, Stanford stacks, Etc.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Absolutely this.
The point remains, folks are talking TWO years, Jones went SIX!!!! I don't recall folks going crazy calling for Jones head even after year 3....4...5 and many said little during 6.
As others noted you have to consider the circumstances. The biggest was RD. He had earned good will but after the third year people were calling for a change. The stands emptied when that didn't happen. Under TD two will be the benchmark. Let's hope we never reach that point again.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Texas should look at Rick Jones. He could bring in Andy Cannizaro and Jake Gautreaux as his assistants. They'd clean up in Texas with recruiting. Would make for an interesting hire. Not sure if RJ is ready to get back into that situation though.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:This started on tigerdroppings. We'll see what happens. This is a great job and they'll be a long list of very qualified coaches if there is an opening. Riser and Cannizaro will be on it among a host of others.
It started on Twitter.

AC> Riser
Agree
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Texas should look at Rick Jones. He could bring in Andy Cannizaro and Jake Gautreaux as his assistants. They'd clean up in Texas with recruiting. Would make for an interesting hire. Not sure if RJ is ready to get back into that situation though.
I heard RJ on the radio last week, prior to the regionals. He was on WWL. He is thinking about getting back into coaching. He's been doing some hitting instruction this past year. He's not sure yet if he's looking to just be an assistant, or get back in as a head coach, but he is considering it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

I don't know what Pierce's original contract was, but he's two for two on NCAA tournament appearances, it may be time for a new contract. Certainly, Dannen and Pierce would have their after season review/meeting to discuss what the next step is for Year 3.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:I don't know what Pierce's original contract was, but he's two for two on NCAA tournament appearances, it may be time for a new contract. Certainly, Dannen and Pierce would have their after season review/meeting to discuss what the next step is for Year 3.
I believe he got something done last December 2015. But if it gets down to money I doubt Tulane can match Texas.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

He did sign an extension in December.

http://wgno.com/2016/06/06/dannen-says- ... t-success/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:He did sign an extension in December.

http://wgno.com/2016/06/06/dannen-says- ... t-success/
Right
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Mizzou job just came open
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:The Mizzou job just came open
Damn
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

For what it's worth.....saw on Twitter the new Texas Coach "is coming from the West Coast. Not Tulane."
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:For what it's worth.....saw on Twitter the new Texas Coach "is coming from the West Coast. Not Tulane."
Hope so!
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
And, I don't even recall anyone "going crazy" in 2010 either when we didn't even make it to the CUSA Baseball tournament and our season ended under the "mercy rule" to UCF then leading us 17-6 at Turchin. http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... usa_t.html Not a peep, and if I had been Tulane president I would have then and there read Jones the Riot Act!

I am confident the era of total indifference from the administration concerning the success for our athletic teams is now conclusively a thing of the past.

If Pierce leaves will replace him with another winner, not a baseball's equivalent of Chris Scelfo. :megagrin:
Wave755
Tsunami

UVA's O'Connor may still be the frontrunner for the Texas job, he presently makes just over $700,000 a year.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierin ... 3a000.html