Coach Pierce and Allen to Texas

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Show Me
Tsunami

Kudos to Fletcher Mac for calling this one a month ago. A kudos to Ed Daniels for calling it as well.
At least Jonathan/Pete is happy now.

DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Congrats Coach Pierce on being Texas' 12th choice. Don't slip up or you WILL
Be shown the exit door rather quickly!!
Wave755
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:Kudos to Fletcher Mac for calling this one a month ago. A kudos to Ed Daniels for calling it as well.
At least Jonathan/Pete is happy now.
Burnt Orange Nation confirms Pierce hiring. No kidding, he was UT's 14th choice for new head coach. We made the right decision in hiring Pierce and his 2 years reaffirmed after a rough period post-Katrina Tulane is still a winner for Div. 1 baseball, we will have no trouble finding a quality replacement for Pierce.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/6 ... vid-pierce
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Has anyone learned the details of if/how much Texas is going to pay for the buyout? Is Troy Dannen considering waiving the buyout in exchange for a home football game?

Best of Luck, Coach Pierce. You made it obvious to all that you're a class act and that it CAN be done at Tulane.

Roll Wave!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

I'm not going to knock Pierce on his way out. He stabilized the program, won with Jones/Gautreaus players and improved the strength of the non conference schedule. I wasn't thrilled with his #48 ranked recruiting class this year. I expect better than that from Tulane baseball. If there really was a very expensive buy out in his contract ($1 Million?) and then maybe Dickson did something right. In the end, Tulane might get a better Coach in place than Pierce.
Pepper
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:I'm not going to knock Pierce on his way out. He stabilized the program, won with Jones/Gautreaus players and improved the strength of the non conference schedule. I wasn't thrilled with his #48 ranked recruiting class this year. I expect better than that from Tulane baseball. If there really was a very expensive buy out in his contract ($1 Million?) and then maybe Dickson did something right. In the end, Tulane might get a better Coach in place than Pierce.
Agreed. It's a better job but it does come with higher expectations and currently an unstable administration. I believe we will make a good hire. Scott Berry at USM and Mark Calvi from USA have built lesser programs than ours into perennial winners. I'd also make a run at Oregon's George Horton. He's an established coach and I think Tulane is a better baseball job than Oregon. If I had to go the asst coach route, Miami's Gino Dimare. He's the best recruiter in the business.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Best wishes to Coach Pierce. I wish him success at UT and I hope that he is able to build that program into the nation's second best.

For everyone here who is nervous about the baseball program's uncertainty, relax. Recline your seat and lower your table-back. This will be a smooth flight. Adults are in charge these days. Change is inevitable. In change there is growth.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:I'm not going to knock Pierce on his way out. He stabilized the program, won with Jones/Gautreaus players and improved the strength of the non conference schedule. I wasn't thrilled with his #48 ranked recruiting class this year. I expect better than that from Tulane baseball. If there really was a very expensive buy out in his contract ($1 Million?) and then maybe Dickson did something right. In the end, Tulane might get a better Coach in place than Pierce.
Agreed. It's a better job but it does come with higher expectations and currently an unstable administration. I believe we will make a good hire. Scott Berry at USM and Mark Calvi from USA have built lesser programs than ours into perennial winners. I'd also make a run at Oregon's George Horton. He's an established coach and I think Tulane is a better baseball job than Oregon. If I had to go the asst coach route, Miami's Gino Dimare. He's the best recruiter in the business.
I think we can forget about a Coach in Oregon coming to NOLA,... Eugene, OR is a gorgeous place and they have a small amount of Nike money to work with .The other names are viable, and have "southern connections"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
Pepper wrote:
I think we can forget about a Coach in Oregon coming to NOLA,... Eugene, OR is a gorgeous place and they have a small amount of Nike money to work with .The other names are viable, and have "southern connections"
Tulane has not fared well hiring PAC 10 guys........Toledo and the AD from Wash St.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Has anyone learned the details of if/how much Texas is going to pay for the buyout? Is Troy Dannen considering waiving the buyout in exchange for a home football game?

Best of Luck, Coach Pierce. You made it obvious to all that you're a class act and that it CAN be done at Tulane.

Roll Wave!
$250-500K
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

Sorry to be the rain man here but I will repeat what I noted earlier after TPS gave a very reasoned guesstimate of DP's salary at Tulane at being $250k to $300k. If so this is consistent with the Austin paper reporting the buyout as being $250k to $500k.

Please give one demonstrated example in any college sport where the buyout is 3x or more of annual salary. No one has done it yet here or elsewhere. Why? Because such a contract requirement does not exist. It would be unenforceable as being unreasonable on its face. Just because someone tweets or even blogs something does not make it so. This should have exploded off the BS meter when it was first surfaced but for whatever reasons no one chose to, so it quickly assumed status as conventional wisdom.

Documented buyouts are typically in the area of annual salary (or even less) not multiples of it.

Understanding this does not require any inside knowledge of Tulane or UT's business or athletic departments. This is not esoteric legal or financial knowledge or take super reporting skills to determine. Lots of coaches contracts are public documents because they work for governmental schools or were involved in litigation. They can be read by anyone including reporters and "experts."

I would love for TD to have one million Texas dollars to renovate Turchin, find a new coach, get us instant replay, whatever. He'll apparently though will have to settle for what he can do with a third or half of it and fund the rest elsewhere.
Wave755
Tsunami

I was stunned when it was first reported "Tricky Dick" had negotiated a $1 Million buy out with Pierce, Tricky Dick? (even though such a buy out (liquidated damages provision) would have been enforceable since the parties were of equal standing and represented by counsel). Let's hope the true buyout is a lot closer to 500K than 250K, but then, of course, "Tricky Dick" did negotiate the deal, so in the end we may owe Pierce? :lolgreen:
RobertM320
Green Wave

Everyone's talking about possibly getting a home football game from Texas in return. Heck, that's small potatoes. I want them to be an advocate for Tulane in Big 12 expansion.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Everyone's talking about possibly getting a home football game from Texas in return. Heck, that's small potatoes. I want them to be an advocate for Tulane in Big 12 expansion.
If it happens it will be at the Dome not Yulman.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I don't want the game. I want a Big XII invite. Make it happen, Troy!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I don't want the game. I want a Big XII invite. Make it happen, Troy!
I want both! :mrgreen:

I'd take the invite over the home game, for sure. But maybe we spend the $250-500k on marketing ourselves to the Big 12. Or find a way to use it to influence the conference Presidents to consider Tulane. Maybe hosting a key conference Presidents meeting, picking up the tab, and showing them the Dome, our finest (and in some cases non-tourist) restaurants, and a private party with a big time New Orleans band all at our expense. Make them fall in love with N'awlins. Make it clear that we're on the rise, and New Orleans would be an awesome Championship game host. Play up the advantages of the Big 12 in the heart of SEC country, and disclose our 2, 5 and 10 year plans.

Seize the opportunity to turn losing our coach to UT into leverage that ultimately results in an invite. Plant seeds.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Now wouldn't it be great if in two or three years Texas comes after our Football coach?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Now wouldn't it be great if in two or three years Texas comes after our Football coach?
Texas may be looking for a coach after next year...8+ wins to save his job...and the AD that hired him was fired
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

What is it that Cannizaro has today that Gautreau didn't have 2 years ago? I get the sense that people are falling for AC cause of him being an ex player. Not to say I wouldn't be excited to get Andy. Just that I'm not ready to anoint him as the next great college coach just yet.
Jonathan
Riptide

In my opinion Pierce is a liar traitor and alleged scumbag to Tulane baseball. He committed to Rick Dickson to rebuild our program back to Omaha but after only 24 months he made application and interviews with Texas. He is a sell out and like many others only used Tulane as a stepping stone. Troy look at Andy Cannizaro,Southeastern coach and other best coaches in the nation. Put in a $3m buyout with tough legal fees into new contract.Do nothing to reduce it until end of contract. Very disappointed in Pierce and his morals and values.
Wavetime
Swell

Good luck coach, thanks for 2 good years.
Pepper
Swell

Wavetime wrote:Good luck coach, thanks for 2 good years.
Ditto. Thanks for getting us back to post season and with another good hire, we will continue to build our program back to national prominence.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote:What is it that Cannizaro has today that Gautreau didn't have 2 years ago? I get the sense that people are falling for AC cause of him being an ex player. Not to say I wouldn't be excited to get Andy. Just that I'm not ready to anoint him as the next great college coach just yet.
He's played in the Big Leagues, for one. He's done more than simply been a minor leaguer and assistant coach. He's been a scout for the Yankees, represented them at the MLB entry Draft. He's very well respected. Yes, there's no certainty that he's going to be a great coach, but there wasn't when UNLV and a year later TCU hired Schlossnagle, either. If Cannizaro turns into as good a coach as many suspect, and he does it elsewhere, he may never give Tulane another shot if we shun him now.

The program is in good enough shape that we can take a LOCAL coach with recruiting connections and allow him to grow into the job. Have a veteran assistant on staff. I'm not saying the search should start and end with Andy Cannizaro, but I don't think his lack of HC experience should disqualify him, either.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got word Allen is going to Texas to be with Pierce. So the statement that he went to Bama and wanted to break out on his on would be incorrect.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

Allen not going to Alabama
Going to Texas with Pierce
We need to act fast so we don't loose any incoming freshmen

AC can keep the freshmen not some retread guy with head coaching experience