Coach Pierce and Allen to Texas

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Wave755
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:Pierce is a good coach and a valuable asset to the Baseball program, but he is not irreplaceable. This is not Tommy Bowden to Clemson in 1998. I knew if Bowden left, Football would be screwed and we saw what happened. Tulane Baseball will always have a good coach. It's a program with a winning tradition and a national reputation. If Pierce leaves, we could get an even better coach.
Football only "got screwed" when Bowden left because we hired Georgia's offensive line coach, Chris Scelfo over RichRod. Today we would have hired RichRod and then when he left simply again hired the best man available for the job for further building our program, as opposed to a "warm body who would stay" like for 1998. The Tulane baseball job is one of the best in the country, if Pierce leaves we will have no trouble finding a quality replacement for him.

Profoundwizard
Swell

anEngineer wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Pierce is a good coach and a valuable asset to the Baseball program, but he is not irreplaceable. This is not Tommy Bowden to Clemson in 1998. I knew if Bowden left, Football would be screwed and we saw what happened. Tulane Baseball will always have a good coach. It's a program with a winning tradition and a national reputation. If Pierce leaves, we could get an even better coach.
We'll be fine I agree. However, if the best Texas can do is get Pierce then I think we'll have a tough time getting someone better
I think the much more worrisome situation is where Texas (or whoever) steals someone else's coach and that school comes looking for Pierce.
Disagree. Texas seems like the most likely place for him to leave for.
Wave755
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Disagree. Texas seems like the most likely place for him to leave for.
Hookem Horns now reports Pat Casey of Oregon State is Texas' top choice for new head baseball coach?

http://www.hookem.com/story/oregon-stat ... ext-coach/
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

this just in from Austin.....University of Texas @ Austin has hit new low's...memo to Paul M,,,there ain't no TOPS krap in Texas

http://www.hookem.com/2016/06/16/texas- ... l-vacancy/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wouldn't that be hilarious if Texas came in and scooped up Paul Manieri?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Wouldn't that be hilarious if Texas came in and scooped up Paul Manieri?
Texas is desperate... they have been flatly turned down by their first three choices, the Coach's at Vandy, Oregon State and UCLA have told Texas and the horrid Management team now in place, to go kiss a Longhorn's Ass
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Wouldn't that be hilarious if Texas came in and scooped up Paul Manieri?
Texas is desperate... they have been flatly turned down by their first three choices, the Coach's at Vandy, Oregon State and UCLA have told Texas and the horrid Management team now in place, to go kiss a Longhorn's Ass
Paul Mainieri to Texas, after the Coastal Carolina series debacle he can't be interviewing just to get more money from LSWho?

http://campusinsiders.com/news/paul-mai ... 06-16-2016
bananax07
Ripple

golfnut69 wrote:
sounds like an informed, unbiased assessment to me!
Wave755
Tsunami

SB Nation confirms Texas has interviewed LSU baseball coach Paul Mainieri.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/6 ... s-baseball
Bearwave
High Tide

LSU has given Mainieri a raise in response to his interview.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:LSU has given Mainieri a raise in response to his interview.
LSU is offering coach Paul Mainieri a significant boost in pay, countering an offer from the University of Texas, three sources told The Advocate on Thursday.
What a shock! Lol :o :o
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Apparently you are correct. Where else but Louisiana, so what if the school is broke?

Sources: LSU offers coach Paul Mainieri significant raise amid his flirtation with Texas.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/16125 ... ns-vacancy
Wave755
Tsunami

John Savage of UCLA in mix for Texas baseball job.

http://larrybrownsports.com/cbaseball/j ... job/308633

By now Pierce must feel insulted by how broad the Texas search has become, and it would appear most interviewed coaches to date have no real interest at all in the Long Horn job.
lurker123
Swell

Wave755 wrote:John Savage of UCLA in mix for Texas baseball job.

http://larrybrownsports.com/cbaseball/j ... job/308633

By now Pierce must feel insulted by how broad the Texas search has become, and it would appear most interviewed coaches to date have no real interest at all in the Long Horn job.
???? Please elaborate.

This is the downside of the LHN and having a zillion news outlets follow every breath you take. No ability to do anything in private.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

bananax07 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
sounds like an informed, unbiased assessment to me!
as Sgt Friday, LAPD would say.."Just the facts" .... ya gotta live in metro Austin to appreciate the chaos !!!!...sorta like a Greek Tragedy being played out. by untalented actors.
Bearwave
High Tide

Wave755 wrote:
Apparently you are correct. Where else but Louisiana, so what if the school is broke?

Sources: LSU offers coach Paul Mainieri significant raise amid his flirtation with Texas.

LSU's athletic department is totally self funded and doesn't use the state's University funds. It's very rare to have that situation but with all of their revenue generated from attendance of multiple sports and all the TAF money his raise doesn't matter one way or another on the Academic side's money woes.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bearwave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

LSU's athletic department is totally self funded and doesn't use the state's University funds. It's very rare to have that situation but with all of their revenue generated from attendance of multiple sports and all the TAF money his raise doesn't matter one way or another on the Academic side's money woes.
Other than the fact that maybe their donors should care JUST A LITTLE about the kids getting a quality education as well. Maybe instead of forking up money to throw at coaches and donating tons of money to TAF, they should donate to pay for a few more professors or to the general fund for maintenance.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Umm...forgive me if I'm ignorant, but isn't TAF the TULANE Athletic Fund?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Other than the fact that maybe their donors should care JUST A LITTLE about the kids getting a quality education as well. Maybe instead of forking up money to throw at coaches and donating tons of money to TAF, they should donate to pay for a few more professors or to the general fund for maintenance.
That's how it should be, but most people that attend LSU honestly don't care about the quality of the education that they receive so the donors don't care.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Umm...forgive me if I'm ignorant, but isn't TAF the TULANE Athletic Fund?
It was until just recently. Another RD debacle. We had the Green Wave Club and he changed it to TAF which already existed at lswho as the Tiger Athletic Fund. Now TD has just changed it back to the Green Wave Club or the GWC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Interesting post on the other site by randymc who follows baseball closely:

Just heard an interview with former Miss. State Coach Ron Polk, who is coaching in Cape Cod this summer. Among other things he said Tulane has an advantage over Alabama in terms of scholarships and scholarship money for baseball. In short, he thinks Alabama (despite its big budget) doesn't invest in baseball scholarships (no Hope scholarships or extra academic aid for ball players and no out-of-state tuition waivers either). He said Ala. will have a nice new stadium with inferior talent playing in it than many other Southern schools within and outside the SEC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Umm...forgive me if I'm ignorant, but isn't TAF the TULANE Athletic Fund?
It was until just recently. Another RD debacle. We had the Green Wave Club and he changed it to TAF which already existed at lswho as the Tiger Athletic Fund. Now TD has just changed it back to the Green Wave Club or the GWC.
I am looking at a mailed correspondence form TD, a three fold out asking for a donation..it states : Please Allocate My Gift to ; Tulane Athletics Fund
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
Bearwave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Other than the fact that maybe their donors should care JUST A LITTLE about the kids getting a quality education as well. Maybe instead of forking up money to throw at coaches and donating tons of money to TAF, they should donate to pay for a few more professors or to the general fund for maintenance.
Precisely. The revenue from athletics is simply fans, alums and businesses using their disposable income on athletics when it could be sent to academics instead. Most other highly successful athletic programs have been able to use athletics to catapult academics because students want to go to schools that provide the big time athletics experience, LSU has failed. No idea why.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Casey turns down Texas and is staying at OSU. If Texas doesn't get the UCLA's Savage the only logical ones left to poach are Pierce and the Dallas Baptist guy who is on record as saying he wants to stay at a small school.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Casey turns down Texas and is staying at OSU. If Texas doesn't get the UCLA's Savage the only logical ones left to poach are Pierce and the Dallas Baptist guy who is on record as saying he wants to stay at a small school.
Whitting at Houston?