Dylan Osetkowski

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:He was leaving anyway.
This I suspect is the truth.
Making transfer decisions based on what you hear on the bench during a game just doesn't make any sense. They were nothing but transfers out during Conroy's term so I don't see why this is any different. I don't deny that's what your source says, or that you have a good source. But it still sounds like a convenient pretext to me....leave while standing up for the coach in a difficult time for him.
We need to keep Frazier. He is the player with the athletic talent that we haven't seen here in years. I also want to keep those two guards that we have signed up....they aren't just commitments, they are signees
Funny. I never once saw anyone post or even hint at that O was leaving until I did. And I would have never posted that without knowing for sure. People can believe what they want. All I know is what his text said and that wasn't the case.
His mother and aunt among others went off on the staff for the poor offensive system among other things most of the season. That was talked about for much of the season on the other site. Then at the end they joined EC in the faux outrage over the ending to help justify their position.
Ok. Let's assume that's true. His mother and aunt should be happy that the coach is gone then why leave now? Why not wait a week and see who we hire and then make a decision? Suppose TD comes up with a great hire. Using Tanner Lee as an example he liked CJ a lot. However he waited to see who we hired first then met with the new staff and decided. If O's family didn't like the coaches they should be happy now and wait until a new one is hired then make a decision.
No assuming it's true. People posted about it throughout the season. As to why he wouldn't wait that's simple. He already knew where he was going next.
I disagree.
Read her last two tweets:

https://twitter.com/sabinaosetkowsk
IDK, it's freaking ridiculous that someone would get so offended that some rouge employee released details on the firing three days too early. Especially when talking about a guy who has been given six years and shown very little.

I agree with winwave, he was gone either way, the leak outrage is just an excuse. If in fact the leak was a large factor then seriously good riddance.
He wasn't going anywhere. His mom thought they were right about to turn it around. Read her tweet. This team was very close to one another. They really liked this staff. Had the team played this way (last four games) all year we'd be talking about an NIT perhaps. I know what Big O texted. I know what happened. Anyone else is speculating. It's not worth my time trying to convince anyone. He's gone and it's time to get the right coach that will get NCAA's like Perry did now.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

[/quote]
He wasn't going anywhere. His mom thought they were right about to turn it around. Read her tweet. This team was very close to one another. They really liked this staff. Had team played this way (last four games) all year we'd be talking about an NIT perhaps. I know what Big O texted. I know what happened. Everyone else is speculating.[/quote]

Are you insinuating the leak was the cause or the firing of Conroy was the cause?
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Making transfer decisions based on what you hear on the bench during a game just doesn't make any sense. They were nothing but transfers out during Conroy's term so I don't see why this is any different. I don't deny that's what your source says, or that you have a good source. But it still sounds like a convenient pretext to me....leave while standing up for the coach in a difficult time for him.
We need to keep Frazier. He is the player with the athletic talent that we haven't seen here in years. I also want to keep those two guards that we have signed up....they aren't just commitments, they are signees
Funny. I never once saw anyone post or even hint at that O was leaving until I did. And I would have never posted that without knowing for sure. People can believe what they want. All I know is what his text said and that wasn't the case.
His mother and aunt among others went off on the staff for the poor offensive system among other things most of the season. That was talked about for much of the season on the other site. Then at the end they joined EC in the faux outrage over the ending to help justify their position.
Ok. Let's assume that's true. His mother and aunt should be happy that the coach is gone then why leave now? Why not wait a week and see who we hire and then make a decision? Suppose TD comes up with a great hire. Using Tanner Lee as an example he liked CJ a lot. However he waited to see who we hired first then met with the new staff and decided. If O's family didn't like the coaches they should be happy now and wait until a new one is hired then make a decision.
No assuming it's true. People posted about it throughout the season. As to why he wouldn't wait that's simple. He already knew where he was going next.
I disagree.

IDK, it's freaking ridiculous that someone would get so offended that some rouge employee released details on the firing three days too early. Especially when talking about a guy who has been given six years and shown very little.

I agree with winwave, he was gone either way, the leak outrage is just an excuse. If in fact the leak was a large factor then seriously good riddance.
He wasn't going anywhere. His mom thought they were right about to turn it around. Read her tweet. This team was very close to one another. They really liked this staff. Had team played this way (last four games) all year we'd be talking about an NIT perhaps. I know what Big O texted. I know what happened. Everyone else is speculating. It's not worth my time alking about this anymore he's gone and it's time to get the right coach that will get NCAA's like Perfy did now.
Honestly That's asinine.
TU23
High Tide

None of the players on this current roster are irreplaceable. Osetkowski has turned into a pretty good player and we'll miss his best years, but if he doesn't want to be here we're better off without him. Same with the freshmen. They have talent, but if they're going to leave because Conroy got fired, it might explain why we lost so many games...lack of IQ. Basketball isn't like football where you have to build through three or four good recruiting classes. Two or three good players and a bunch of role players that won't hurt you will make you 1000% better with good coaching. I don't get the people who continue to claim that Ed Conroy was a good x's and o's coach. He was a horrible decision maker (see Taron Oliver 4 fouls in the first half among many other gaffes) and his rotations were questionable at best.

Basketball is probably a total tear down at this point and that's okay. We'll rebuild with a good AD, good coach and players who get it, not players who want their egos stroked.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
He wasn't going anywhere. His mom thought they were right about to turn it around. Read her tweet. This team was very close to one another. They really liked this staff. Had team played this way (last four games) all year we'd be talking about an NIT perhaps. I know what Big O texted. I know what happened. Everyone else is speculating.[/quote]

Are you insinuating the leak was the cause or the firing of Conroy was the cause?[/quote]
Combination and some other things I can't share.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TU23 wrote:None of the players on this current roster are irreplaceable. Osetkowski has turned into a pretty good player and we'll miss his best years, but if he doesn't want to be here we're better off without him. Same with the freshmen. They have talent, but if they're going to leave because Conroy got fired, it might explain why we lost so many games...lack of IQ. Basketball isn't like football where you have to build through three or four good recruiting classes. Two or three good players and a bunch of role players that won't hurt you will make you 1000% better with good coaching. I don't get the people who continue to claim that Ed Conroy was a good x's and o's coach. He was a horrible decision maker (see Taron Oliver 4 fouls in the first half among many other gaffes) and his rotations were questionable at best.

Basketball is probably a total tear down at this point and that's okay. We'll rebuild with a good AD, good coach and players who get it, not players who want their egos stroked.
+1 (unless your Johnny Jones)
TD has to hire a guy that can get us NCAA's like Perry did.
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
I disagree.

He wasn't going anywhere. His mom thought they were right about to turn it around. Read her tweet. This team was very close to one another. They really liked this staff. Had team played this way (last four games) all year we'd be talking about an NIT perhaps. I know what Big O texted. I know what happened. Everyone else is speculating.
tpstulane, having followed the team this year as closely as you did, do you believe that this team's turnaround was truly impending? Personally, I didn't. A three game stretch where they eked out a win over an equally as bad UCF team on a neutral court, an upset victory over a decent Houston squad, and a 20 point blowout loss to Memphis where they were never really in the game doesn't scream impending turnaround to me. 22 losses doesn't scream that to me either. Maybe I'm just a results guy...
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
I disagree.

He wasn't going anywhere. His mom thought they were right about to turn it around. Read her tweet. This team was very close to one another. They really liked this staff. Had team played this way (last four games) all year we'd be talking about an NIT perhaps. I know what Big O texted. I know what happened. Everyone else is speculating.
tpstulane, having followed the team this year as closely as you did, do you believe that this team's turnaround was truly impending? Personally, I didn't. A three game stretch where they eked out a win over an equally as bad UCF team on a neutral court, an upset victory over a decent Houston squad, and a 20 point blowout loss to Memphis where they were never really in the game doesn't scream impending turnaround to me. 22 losses doesn't scream that to me either. Maybe I'm just a results guy...
You know I'm an optimistic type person. I saw some things at the end that weren't there all season. We took the ball to the basket and got to the FL. We quit waiting to the last second to force a shot. I know we had a bunch of freshmen and that can take some time to develop those guys remember we only had one Sr that played a lot. I think for me it's starting all over again if we lose this recruiting class and a few other guys. But basketball can be turned around with the right player or two. Just ask Johnny Jones. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Are you insinuating the leak was the cause or the firing of Conroy was the cause?[/quote]
Combination and some other things I can't share.[/quote]

Well Conroy 100% needed to go and anyone who gets offended about a rouge leak, over a dead man walking coach, is a fool (and I am not one to insult players). Ever consider that Dylan's camp was playing the game spreading these rumors?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Are you insinuating the leak was the cause or the firing of Conroy was the cause?
Combination and some other things I can't share.

Well Conroy 100% needed to go and anyone who gets offended about a rouge leak, over a dead man walking coach, is a fool (and I am not one to insult players). Ever consider that Dylan's camp was playing the game spreading these rumors?
The team had no clue so "no" on Dylan's camp.
EC had 6 years to get it done. Perry did in less than half that time and stayed 11 years. Over the last 8 coaches EC was given the second longest time to succeed. So "yes" on the former.
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

There was a reason the AAC coaches picked Tulane to finish last and there were a 100 reasons they turned out to be correct. This was in Conroy's sixth season. He lost 22 games. It finished the season getting trounced by a team that couldn't even rate an NIT invite. That is a bare fact.

Yeah it took John Wooden 15 seasons at UCLA to win his first (of ten?) national championships. But meanwhile he never had a losing season and he made the NCAAs six times back when they only invited 24 teams or less before his first title not the 68 team bracket of today. Think about that for those who believe like Conroy that "Tulane is about to turn the corner."

Sorry folks but here I'm going to believe my lying eyes and not what others may tell reporters and fans much less tweet. This is all getting lost in a media-stoked controversy about a messy but very deserved firing.

Tulane could not shoot and it could not play defense (except for Jarreau and he had other issues like his technicals which cost Tulane at least two games if not more.) Dylan has an extraordinarily high basketball IQ. He also was a full step slow on defense even against the SWAC teams Conroy loved to schedule (and lost to last season) and was often at a disadvantage because he was often paired up against folks much more athletic than he was. On offense and rebounding, his skills could overcome his relative physical limitations. On defense, he and the rest of the team were laid wide open especially the guards.

The North Carolina game said everything about this coach in his sixth season and the relative skill level of this team. (Yeah I keep in mind that meanwhile UNI beat UNC this season. Too bad TD can't afford the buyout he himself negotiated with the UNI coach.)

I root for Tulane and liked Conroy and this team but I'm not delusional. It was dead last in AAC. During his entire tenure he churned his roster continuously. No one should be surprised it continues upon his exit.

Could DO succeed elsewhere? Perhaps if he is surrounded by four other players who can compensate for his manifest defensive limitations.

As others have noted, it's too bad that DO and the others may not value a Tulane diploma.

I'm for Tulane and will be at the games again next year rooting for the new coach and the players who want to be on the Green Wave. I wish well to those who leave and am disappointed they could not find a home at Tulane. I'm moving on.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TU23 wrote:None of the players on this current roster are irreplaceable. Osetkowski has turned into a pretty good player and we'll miss his best years, but if he doesn't want to be here we're better off without him. Same with the freshmen. They have talent, but if they're going to leave because Conroy got fired, it might explain why we lost so many games...lack of IQ. Basketball isn't like football where you have to build through three or four good recruiting classes. Two or three good players and a bunch of role players that won't hurt you will make you 1000% better with good coaching. I don't get the people who continue to claim that Ed Conroy was a good x's and o's coach. He was a horrible decision maker (see Taron Oliver 4 fouls in the first half among many other gaffes) and his rotations were questionable at best.

lol "questionable at best" on the rotations? That's very generous. I've never seen a coach who just guessed as far as rotations and substitutions at all times. It's almost like Conroy was unaware that general rotations and substitution patterns is a common coaching tactic at every level beyond high school junior varsity. And it wasn't just that he didn't understand rotations and substitution patterns, it was that he never understood his roster or which players to use when (i.e., took him him half of last year to start DO, then repeatedly played Jerreau and Ryan Smith over the frosh who were both better).

Otherwise, yeah. He was a horrific x's and o's coach and any basketball players who are so disappointed to see him leave are fine to follow him out the door. Anyone who thinks that is, without question, off the mark. Basketball can be fixed fairly quickly, just sucks to lose a player of DO's caliber.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
Yep. Good post all the way around.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:I guess those 16 points from Osetkowski in a loss to Southern sold fans on this kid. I missed it. This kid wasn't that good to me and can easily get used and abused by any big man with good feet. (As we saw in our Conroy's last stand vs Memphis)

Let's move on and find what we need. He wasn't it.
Not surprising that those who didn't see DO's talent are the same ones who thought Tanner Lee was bound for JUCO. :roll:
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Otherwise, yeah. He was a horrific x's and o's coach and any basketball players who are so disappointed to see him leave are fine to follow him out the door.............just sucks to lose a player of DO's caliber.
That sums it up perfectly.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TXWave88
Surge

Osetkowski was a good player. He is only a big loss because we are Tulane and we finished last in the conference season. It is not like he was Anthony Davis or an All-Conference player even. He was not even Josh Davis from a few years ago who was the Conroy typical transfer out. Maybe he would get there, or maybe not. I am not convinced he would be on the roster still if Conroy was still the coach. EC lost his best talent because he could not coach winning basketball. We do know O has moved on and good luck to him. We will move on as well.
Bearwave
High Tide

He wants to go, well bye and good luck. It's not like he's a great player. FWIW, this team had no real D1 talent, the results show that clearly.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
JackHammerJoe15
Trickle

DO is a huge loss. A player of his ability that the new coach would have for 2 years would have been a huge foundation for future building. Don't kid yourself about this.

One of the biggest issues that hurt the Tulane program was never getting players to the Jr and Sr seasons. Stating the obvious, but there were many players that left that could have developed into really good players by Jr and Sr year. When players stayed with Ed they typically improved and in some cases surprised (Hook, Dabney, etc).

I thought it was funny when some people thought this would be a great year for Tulane Basketball since Conroy and staff signed a few consensus 3-star guys. The recruits were better than the past, but still bottom 1/3 of the American Conference. A kid like Melvin Frazier and Blake Paul would be the weak link in a UCONN, SMU, or Memphis recruiting class. During the Conroy era Tulane was caught in the middle ground of not having enough older guys and not being able to bring in ready-to-go 4 star talent from the HS or JC ranks. Dylan ended up being a 4 star talent who is leaving and that hurts. He has played well enough to go to a major college basketball program, probably Pac 12.

If TD gave DO the release already he must not be worried based on the response he is getting from candidates. Right now makes me feel good about the future of Tulane Basketball even though this is a big loss.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Exactly! Or don't care about having a Tulane education and degree!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JackHammerJoe15 wrote:DO is a huge loss. A player of his ability that the new coach would have for 2 years would have been a huge foundation for future building. Don't kid yourself about this.
Correct.
Show Me
Tsunami

Sorry to hear this. Big O was a great player in a great league. He didn't have enough support or good coaching. To knock him for leaving when his coach has been back stabbed makes no sense.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:Sorry to hear this. Big O was a great player in a great league. He didn't have enough support or good coaching. To knock him for leaving when his coach has been back stabbed makes no sense.
Jesus, back stabbed? A rouge leak two days before everyone in the world knew he was gone......I fell like a crazy person here. Leaks happen literally all the time in today's mega media environment, this outrage is absurd IMO.
Wavetime
Swell

I think EC was an average to below average coach, but the man had character and loved Tulane. I really believed that EC did everything he could to win here. He shook up his staff a bunch and last year finally started to get some recruits in. He was just not the right guy for this job. I hope he finds a place to land and is successful. As far as the players leaving, it sucks, but in today's world it happens. We need a new coach who is solid in the X/O's, good recruiter and one who knows how to motivate and get people excited. He will bring in his own staff and players and we will be successful sooner than later.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ed Conroy said on National TV that he had a frank discussion with Troy Dannen prior to the AAC Tournament, and that he had another frank discussion about his situation with his players before the tournament. Why would any of the players be surprised to hear Ed Conroy was being fired during the Houston game? He had already told them his days were numbered.

There's more to this than meets the eyes here, folks. I don't know what the text from DO that TPS was shown said, but I do know that TPS is always accurate, and he feels strongly that this was more about the Big O leaving because of the changes taking place and how everything has been handled.

Let's thank Dylan for his contributions and wish him well. We all hoped he would have waited until after the new coach was introduced, but there's nothing preventing him from staying (or going.)

Roll Wave!
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
dpm wave
Swell

How do you all know that had Conroy been retained that 4 or 5 guys wouldn't have asked for their release?
If they had, no one would have been surprised because that's been the MO throughout.
Conroy will make a good JC HC. Perhaps, even a good DIII which is basically what The Citadel is.
TD will have this program in MUCH better place in 3-4 years from now by making this move, no matter how many current players leave, than by retaining Conroy a day longer than he had.