Dylan Osetkowski

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:If Dylan O stayed and played for Mike Dunleavy, he'd leave here a better player than he's going to become going to Arizona. Dunleavy would get him his shots, his post up looks, and make him a much better overall player. I thought he was pretty good, but we never took advantage of his skills, which also means the coaching staff never worked closely enough with him to truly make him the guy that forces the D to respect the inside game. He could pass, he was strong, but was never in favorable positions to utilize his skills.

I also think his decision to transfer came a long time prior to March, 2016.

He should reconsider.
Also getting a look from texas and colo st. He would be a 6th man at best at most P5's. At TU he would start for two years right away. Someone got in his ear, hope he reconsiders.
Still not sure where this comes from. The guy can play and contribute almost anywhere. The list of schools going after him is impressive.

If this was a 48 emotional decision, then it would seem there's plenty of chance he'd reconsider. We should hope he reconsiders, but yes I believe the decision was made long before March 2016.

DrBox
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:If Dylan O stayed and played for Mike Dunleavy, he'd leave here a better player than he's going to become going to Arizona. Dunleavy would get him his shots, his post up looks, and make him a much better overall player. I thought he was pretty good, but we never took advantage of his skills, which also means the coaching staff never worked closely enough with him to truly make him the guy that forces the D to respect the inside game. He could pass, he was strong, but was never in favorable positions to utilize his skills.

He should reconsider.
Also getting a look from texas and colo st. He would be a 6th man at best at most P5's. At TU he would start for two years right away. Someone got in his ear, hope he reconsiders.
I agree with that assessment; but would certainly help us.
Here's an analysis from the Arizona people.
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... osetkowski
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

He should reconsider.
The thing about analytics is the value is in the correct interpretation of them. Data needs context. Osetkowski's game was no where near as efficient as it should be because Conroy's offense (or lack thereof) was so inept. I have zero doubt that Osetkowski would have been at least 2nd team all AAC as a junior under Dunleavy. Hopefully he reconsiders.
Eaglewave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:I guess those 16 points from Osetkowski in a loss to Southern sold fans on this kid. I missed it. This kid wasn't that good to me and can easily get used and abused by any big man with good feet. (As we saw in our Conroy's last stand vs Memphis)

Let's move on and find what we need. He wasn't it.
Not surprising that those who didn't see DO's talent are the same ones who thought Tanner Lee was bound for JUCO. :roll:
Yeah. Yeah.
You have yet to prove anyone wrong as well. Slow O needed to go.

Tanner Lee? Really? Get over it dude. The picks are in and we didn't win.
Ball Sumrall!
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

He should reconsider.
The thing about analytics is the value is in the correct interpretation of them. Data needs context. Osetkowski's game was no where near as efficient as it should be because Conroy's offense (or lack thereof) was so inept. I have zero doubt that Osetkowski would have been at least 2nd team all AAC as a junior under Dunleavy. Hopefully he reconsiders.
Don't forget Peyton Henson....we'll have to check up on the Catamounts next winter.

Osetkowski's a nice a player. but he's not all league.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

He should reconsider.
Don't forget Peyton Henson....we'll have to check up on the Catamounts next winter.

Osetkowski's a nice a player. but he's not all league.
Sure he is. For starters, Dabney has already been 2nd team all conference and Osetkowski, not Dabney, was the best player on the team this season.

Just on pure attrition, DO would have returned as top 5 in the AAC in rebounding and steals and top 15 in scoring, and I have no doubt that his numbers across the board would have jumped under Dunleavy. Henson was a nice player, but replaceable. DO is not easily replaceable.

We will find out just how hamstrung both players were by the Conroy regime.
DrBox
Riptide

Well I'm looking forward to:
1)Turning athletic talent named Melvin Frazier into a ballplayer;
2)iHarris and Cam Reynolds becoming consistent shooters/scorers.
3)An in-shape Oliver + Paul as forceful interior defenders and rebounders
4)Getting some plus point guard play out of Julien and the two freshmen.
5) Malik Morgan playing multiple positions and becoming the leader of this team.
6)Any studs he might bring in during this usually dry spring signing period.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:Well I'm looking forward to:
1)Turning athletic talent named Melvin Frazier into a ballplayer;
2)iHarris and Cam Reynolds becoming consistent shooters/scorers.
3)An in-shape Oliver + Paul as forceful interior defenders and rebounders
4)Getting some plus point guard play out of Julien and the two freshmen.
5) Malik Morgan playing multiple positions and becoming the leader of this team.
6)Any studs he might bring in during this usually dry spring signing period.
Very much so. I am very interested to see just how much good coaching will improve the players. I have no doubt that all will look improved, but I am interested to see just how much better.
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:I guess those 16 points from Osetkowski in a loss to Southern sold fans on this kid. I missed it. This kid wasn't that good to me and can easily get used and abused by any big man with good feet. (As we saw in our Conroy's last stand vs Memphis)

Not surprising that those who didn't see DO's talent are the same ones who thought Tanner Lee was bound for JUCO. :roll:
Yeah. Yeah.

Lol. Please don't start or get them going. Please.

I believe that O was a good player to have on the roster, but he isn't the answer to dealing with big men who could move. I wish him well, but MD should be able to upgrade.
lurker123
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

I believe that O was a good player to have on the roster, but he isn't the answer to dealing with big men who could move. I wish him well, but MD should be able to upgrade.
Well we know that DO's biggest weakness is defense and literally no rim protection. Perhaps on a team with two other outstanding front court defenders it wouldn't matter and what he does well (he has an extraordinarily high basketball IQ) in scoring and rebounding would make the whole better than the sum of its parts.

I hope he stays. But MD has made it clear that he is going to make Tulane immediately competitive by upgrading the defense. I hope DO stays but maybe this is more akin to a Tanner Lee type situation. He may simply not be a good fit in MD's planned schemes (although I'm sure MD would wish he stays. DO can still help Tulane even if he might thrive more elsewhere. You can't beat somebody with nobody.)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Well we know that DO's biggest weakness is defense and literally no rim protection. Perhaps on a team with two other outstanding front court defenders it wouldn't matter and what he does well (he has an extraordinarily high basketball IQ) in scoring and rebounding would make the whole better than the sum of its parts.

I hope he stays. But MD has made it clear that he is going to make Tulane immediately competitive by upgrading the defense. I hope DO stays but maybe this is more akin to a Tanner Lee type situation. He may simply not be a good fit in MD's planned schemes (although I'm sure MD would wish he stays. DO can still help Tulane even if he might thrive more elsewhere. You can't beat somebody with nobody.)
How can you have an "extraordinarily high Bball IQ" but can't play defense?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Because individual defense is related to athleticism, quickness and lateral movement and nothing to do with IQ? Coaches love coaching a player like DO. DO's BBIQ was what made his individual post defense more than tolerable. He was to play next to Paul and Oliver, who are very well suited to defend opposing post players. His post defense really wasn't a huge concern.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Because individual defense is related to athleticism, quickness and lateral movement and nothing to do with IQ? Coaches love coaching a player like DO. DO's BBIQ was what made his individual post defense more than tolerable. He was to play next to Paul and Oliver, who are very well suited to defend opposing post players. His post defense really wasn't a huge concern.
So offense isn't based on athleticism, quickness and lateral movement?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Ask Larry Bird.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Ask Larry Bird.
Don't you dare insult Larry Legend. He could move. He could also defend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4xMtl3Fulg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8ipponmSc
greenphantom
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Amen. DO is a decent player but was no Josh Davis. Hope he changes his mind but not terribly worried if he does not.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Ask Larry Bird.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Ask Larry Bird.
Don't you dare insult Larry Legend. He could move. He could also defend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4xMtl3Fulg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8ipponmSc

+1000
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and to think ole Larry originally signed with bobby Knight at Indiana...became homesick and hitchhiked back to French Lick, before enrolling at Indy State , I think almost two years later
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
puffy
Surge

If DO is your best player, you might have problems with winning consistently. If he's your 4th or 5th best option as a starter, or first big man off the bench, then that's a far better scenario from both the team's and player's perspective. This potentially isn't dissimilar to Byron Mouton, who was mediocre at best as a primary option at Tulane, but did well as a role player for a national championship team at Maryland.
Wave QB
Swell

puffy wrote:If DO is your best player, you might have problems with winning consistently. If he's your 4th or 5th best option as a starter, or first big man off the bench, then that's a far better scenario from both the team's and player's perspective. This potentially isn't dissimilar to Byron Mouton, who was mediocre at best as a primary option at Tulane, but did well as a role player for a national championship team at Maryland.
I agree.
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Those things certainly help on offense but they are a greater necessity on defense. Look at the best offensive player in the world right now, not particularly great in terms of athleticism. Then look at the best defensive player in the world right now, a freak athlete
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Profoundwizard wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yeah. Yeah.

Those things certainly help on offense but they are a greater necessity on defense. Look at the best offensive player in the world right now, not particularly great in terms of athleticism. Then look at the best defensive player in the world right now, a freak athlete
Yep.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dylan going to Texas now official.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

Good luck DO