Sue Bower

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sorry to hear the news that Sue has resigned after a 24 year career at Tulane. I want to thank her for her service and hard work over that period at Tulane. Sue had made some great hires over that span and played a big role post Katrina. For those that didn't known she ran the Tulane and Sugar Bowl golf tournaments for which the GB's sponsor cooking for both. She also ran the Hall of Fame committee when my dad was inducted. Things couldn't have gone any better for the induction weekend. Sue wore many hats at Tulane and someone will have some big shoes to fill. Good Luck Sue! You will be missed by many.
http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/genrel/022916aaa.html

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TPS.... very hard to say it better....Sue, may I wish you and your family the best that life has to offer !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sad to see her go. She did a good job for Tulane. I wish her well.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

She was one of the few shining lights coming out of the Wilson Center during the horrid Cow/Dick era. I wish her all the best and thank you.
Jaxwave
Swell

Sue was the working pro at the country club over here in Jacksonville that she left to go to Tulane. My in-laws knew her well and said everyone loved her and were sorry to see her go. They followed her career at Tulane and were very proud of her accomplishments.
Hopefully, this was her decision and she is doing next what she wants to do. Good luck to her from all her friends over here in Florida!
Show Me
Tsunami

+++ to all the comments in this thread. It's rare to ever read only good things about a Tulane administrator that lasted 24 years that says a lot about her. Sue was also one of those rare Tulane people that you'd see at almost every Tulane event. I sure hope Tulane holds a banquet in her honor. She truly deserves a nice send off. She predated Dickson and should in no way be connected to that loser.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Show Me wrote:+++ to all the comments in this thread. It's rare to ever read only good things about a Tulane administrator that lasted 24 years that says a lot about her. Sue was also one of those rare Tulane people that you'd see at almost every Tulane event. I sure hope Tulane holds a banquet in her honor. She truly deserves a nice send off. She predated Dickson and should in no way be connected to that loser.
Absolutely deserves a spot in the Tulane Hall of Fame if she isn't in there already!
Wave QB
Swell

Good luck Sue. My your next chapter in your life be a great one.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great idea Jersey! Sue should absolutely be inducted into Tulane's HOF!
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

Troy Dannen has no idea what he is losing. He hasn't been here long enough to know how important Sue was to every sport in the program and how many things she ran because she was the only person in this dysfunctional circus who was willing or capable of running them. Troy Dannen will soon start getting a lot of blank stares from his administrative staff when he asks about how things work. Good luck, Sue.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote:Troy Dannen has no idea what he is losing. He hasn't been here long enough to know how important Sue was to every sport in the program and how many things she ran because she was the only person in this dysfunctional circus who was willing or capable of running them. Troy Dannen will soon start getting a lot of blank stares from his administrative staff when he asks about how things work. Good luck, Sue.
I do not think TD asked Sue to leave, I spoke to her over a year ago, she was thinking of retiring then
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
anEngineer wrote:Troy Dannen has no idea what he is losing. He hasn't been here long enough to know how important Sue was to every sport in the program and how many things she ran because she was the only person in this dysfunctional circus who was willing or capable of running them. Troy Dannen will soon start getting a lot of blank stares from his administrative staff when he asks about how things work. Good luck, Sue.
I do not think TD asked Sue to leave, I spoke to her over a year ago, she was thinking of retiring then
She resigned though. Not retired.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
TPS.... that changes things....TD may have made an error on this one, if in fact he encouraged her to leave
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
TPS.... that changes things....TD may have made an error on this one, if in fact he encouraged her to leave
Right. She did the work of 5 people. I'm sure he wants to bring in his own people. But she was an All Star IMO. If I were starting any business she be in my top 3 people to hire. She was one of the rare few that was somehow able to succeed in the Wilson center under the past administration.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

Is that SID still around?

The Bower situation could be tied to university wide voluntary retirement.....they've been pushing for a lot of long term employees to take it.
JDTulane
Riptide

Big fan of Mary Hoffman who was promoted and big fan of Sue. Tough to lose Sue so wish her the best.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Good women!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
anEngineer
Riptide

This looks awfully suspicious. Why would she "resign" now? She was one of the few who understood what the goal was. Now that success seems possible, she abruptly leaves in the middle of a semester? This just doesn't make sense.
JDTulane
Riptide

For the same reason we had yvette jones resign and not retire but basically retire
anEngineer
Riptide

I don't see anything common between Yvette Jones and Sue Bower. Anyone who spends time around Tulane Athletics knows what Sue has meant to every sport.
DrBox
Riptide

anEngineer wrote:This looks awfully suspicious. Why would she "resign" now? She was one of the few who understood what the goal was. Now that success seems possible, she abruptly leaves in the middle of a semester? This just doesn't make sense.
What is it that you suspect?
Show Me
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:
anEngineer wrote:This looks awfully suspicious. Why would she "resign" now? She was one of the few who understood what the goal was. Now that success seems possible, she abruptly leaves in the middle of a semester? This just doesn't make sense.
People were talking about this last night at the baseball game. Most were shocked. Said probably Dannen's first big mistake on the job. He got some bad advice from someone. Probably Burke. Bower should have been promoted not forced out. Bower was no lapdog like Yvette Jones. That's a dumb comparison.
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
DrBox wrote:
People were talking about this last night at the baseball game. Most were shocked. Said probably Dannen's first big mistake on the job. He got some bad advice from someone. Probably Burke. Bower should have been promoted not forced out. Bower was no lapdog like Yvette Jones. That's a dumb comparison.
I am just as excited as everyone else about Dannen, but the guy is still learning and susceptible to taking advice from the wrong people. We all know there are a few wrong people still hanging around and they still hold a lot of persuasion. Does anyone else find it strange how Burke is mentioned by name at EVERY Tulane Athletics social or media event since Troy Dannen was hired? It's like they are trying to sell her to us as an asset. If we liked her, they would not have to sell.
DrBox
Riptide

It doesn't bother me that they push Burke. I never thought she was a Dickson acolyte and still don't.
It doesn't bother me that they may have pushed Bowers out (even though it may be a bad decision)...she's been here a long time, she has somewhat of a retirement parachute considering the years she has. there will be casualties. We lost some good assistants when CJ was moved out.
It would bother me if we don't see others moved out. There are some clear dead-heads who fully embraced and practiced the anti-fan and other philosophies of Dickson that are still in the athletic department. They need to go. And I think they will.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

What was so great about Bower? I am confused. Are we talking about women's golf hiring?