Chris Scelfo

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
nawlinspete
Riptide

It must be off season. Stop. We do not want another moronic thread ala Lee, or Scott . Scelfo is ancient history....

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:It must be off season. Stop. We do not want another moronic thread ala Lee, or Scott . Scelfo is ancient history....
Then don't click on the thread. SIMPLE SOLUTION!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

nawlinspete wrote:It must be off season. Stop. We do not want another moronic thread ala Lee, or Scott . Scelfo is ancient history....
Right would much rather you start another killer thread about scheduling Notre Dame...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
Right would much rather you start another killer thread about scheduling Notre Dame...
:lol: LOL thanks for the laugh, shorty! :lol:
nawlinspete
Riptide

Hired today by Charlotte as Offensive Line Coach !!
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
netshorty
Surge

nawlinspete wrote:Hired today by Charlotte as Offensive Line Coach !!
Pete, what gives? Not but a few threads above you asked for this thread to stop because Scelfo was ancient history. And then you dig this up and post again. Doesn't make sense...
Wave755
Tsunami

netshorty wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:Hired today by Charlotte as Offensive Line Coach !!
Pete, what gives? Not but a few threads above you asked for this thread to stop because Scelfo was ancient history. And then you dig this up and post again. Doesn't make sense...
Ironically, when Cowen hired Scelfo over RR in 1998 the only thing Scelfo coached at Georgia was the O line. So, Chris might well be positioning himself for yet another head coaching gig; after all, it worked the first time when Cowen hired him for HC for 350K a year at then quasi-division 3 Case Western Tulane? :lolgreen:
dpm wave
Swell

HIred as St. Michael's Catholic High School OL Coach in Daphne, AL.
Philip Rivers has already inked deal to be HC next year upon retirement from NFL.

https://online.flippingbook.com/view/221773/12/
VanceWGreen
Ripple

Those were the good days - it's sad that so many didn't realize it or appreciate it at the time.
Dr. Cowen made the reasoned choice to eschew a coach would have used Tulane to enhance his own career; and Mr. Dickson, ever the stable leader, wisely awarded Coach Scelfo 3 well-earned contract extensions. Our reward? The second winningest coach in Tulane history: More Ws than Tommy Bowden, more than Bernie Bierman, more than Mack Brown, more than Buddy Teevens, and more than Willie Fritz.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

VanceWGreen wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:56 pm Those were the good days - it's sad that so many didn't realize it or appreciate it at the time.
Dr. Cowen made the reasoned choice to eschew a coach would have used Tulane to enhance his own career; and Mr. Dickson, ever the stable leader, wisely awarded Coach Scelfo 3 well-earned contract extensions. Our reward? The second winningest coach in Tulane history: More Ws than Tommy Bowden, more than Bernie Bierman, more than Mack Brown, more than Buddy Teevens, and more than Willie Fritz.
:lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

VanceWGreen wrote: ↑Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:56 pm Those were the good days - it's sad that so many didn't realize it or appreciate it at the time.
Cowen and Dickson were competent, Scelfo could coach, and the tooth fairy would deliver victories while the Easter bunny brought provisions for all Those were the days, my freinds, I thought they'd never end.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

netshorty wrote: ↑Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:16 pm
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Vance is baaack!! Awesome. I’ve missed your calm and reasoned logic. πŸ˜›πŸ˜›
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

Water seeks its own level, for coaching so does Chris Scelfo - High School. :D

Chris returns to high school after his last football job to date of coaching the OL for the DC Defenders of the XFL.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Scelfo And, nice job Scott Cowen for setting Tulane football back 20 years; but after all, in 1998 Chris, then OL coach for Georgia, did agree to 350K a year and "promise to stay," so I guess it all made sense? :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 am

Chris returns to high school after his last football job to date of coaching the OL for the DC Defenders of the XFL.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Scelfo And, nice job Scott Cowen for setting Tulane football back 20 years; but after all, in 1998 Chris, then OL coach for Georgia, did agree to 350K a year and "promise to stay," so I guess it all made sense? :lol:
Had the fat man hired Rich Rod, as we all know, Sandy Barbour would have stayed a couple more years, we likely would have gotten into a P5 conference, and our athletics department would be where TCU's is now. 20 years setback? It might be more like a lifetime setback since most of us won't be around to see Tulane athletics ever reach those heights. Scelfo inherited a talented team and did little with it. I'll never forget his first game (and I don't count the Liberty Bowl as his) where we were absolutely crushed on a FOX TV broadcast by Southern Miss.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:26 am
Wave755 wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 am

Had the fat man hired Rich Rod, as we all know, Sandy Barbour would have stayed a couple more years, we likely would have gotten into a P5 conference, and our athletics department would be where TCU's is now. 20 years setback? It might be more like a lifetime setback since most of us won't be around to see Tulane athletics ever reach those heights. Scelfo inherited a talented team and did little with it. I'll never forget his first game (and I don't count the Liberty Bowl as his) where we were absolutely crushed on a FOX TV broadcast by Southern Miss.
Yep, USM 48, Tulane 14, and the "nightmare" had begun. For 1999 we finished 3-8, from 12-0 in 1998. For 1999 we lost our last 5 games played and ended the season 1-5 in conference. High school is where Chris belongs, & Cowen's hiring decision for incompetence ranks right up there with Hindman Wall saying "no" to Lindy Infante in 1980.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:13 am Yep, USM 48, Tulane 14, and the "nightmare" had begun. For 1999 we finished 3-8, from 12-0 in 1998. For 1999 we lost our last 5 games played and ended the season 1-5 in conference. High school is where Chris belongs, & Cowen's hiring decision for incompetence ranks right up there with Hindman Wall saying "no" to Lindy Infante in 1980.
As I understand it, and people close to the situation should be able to shed light on this, Sandy Barbour had a heated argument with Cowen about this. She was on her way out afterwards. Too bad, as RR at HC and Sandy running the department, we could have, as I mentioned, taken TCU's spot in the Big 12. or Louisville's in the ACC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes that's what I have told you and others many times here. She told RR he was hired. Sam Scelfo , Chris' brother, was the president of the GWC at the time. He heard it and went to Cowen's home and stayed on him about how RR would leave soon and the program needed a coach who would stay. Cowen relented and called SB and told her. She couldn't bring herself to tell him and he showed up in his green coat and tie and was told by other members of the staff. So remember if you buy from Gambino's bakery you support the man who helped ruin Tulane football. Just sayin'.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:00 pm Yes that's what I have told you and others many times here. She told RR he was hired. Sam Scelfo , Chris' brother, was the president of the GWC at the time. He heard it and went to Cowen's home and stayed on him about how RR would leave soon and the program needed a coach who would stay. Cowen relented and called SB and told her. She couldn't bring herself to tell him and he showed up in his green coat and tie and was told by other members of the staff. So remember if you buy from Gambino's bakery you support the man who helped ruin Tulane football. Just sayin'.
And, for our newer members, just over 7 years ago, I posted this on the forum with an excerpt for "RichRod's Book Version of 1998 Head Coach Hiring Debacle." viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4326 And, I hope I didn't cost RR any money since, I just checked, that post now has almost 9,000 hits. :D

And, the Wikipedia entry on Sandy Barbour has it right, she "resigned" on August 9, 1999, "before Scelfo had coached a down in any regular season game for the Green Wave." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Barbour I know from reading their forums some fans of Penn State think perhaps she was fired because "her Scelfo pick didn't work out," obviously not true.πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ