Chris Scelfo

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Rumored to have taken the new head coaching job of the Sydney Express of the new professional Australia league.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Rumored to have taken the new head coaching job of the Sydney Express of the new professional Australia league.
yo Chris...if ya need a receivers coach, please let us know....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Rumored to have taken the new head coaching job of the Sydney Express of the new professional Australia league.
And, did he agree to $350,000 a year and "Promise to Never Leave"? :lolgreen: :lolgreen: :lolgreen:
nawlinspete
Riptide

Please combine this thread with prior Scelfo thread. Redundant.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Bigschtick
Riptide

Please delete this thread.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here we go:
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /80005826/

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
Sydney Express (Australia): Per source, former Atlanta Falcons assistant and former Tulane head coach Chris Scelfo, has agreed to terms to become the first head coach of the Sydney Express of the new professional league of Australia.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

I heard they punt on 3rd down in the new league. :lol: :lol:
Please combine all of nawlinspete's post with Jonathan since they are one in the same and are both redundant.
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Maybe NFL job next stop.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

NFL? Maybe as an assistant to an assistant.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pushed out by the hiring of Briles. Brought Clement with him and he'll be the run game coordinator and OL coach.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't understand the need to repeatedly bash Scelfo. I would have preferred Rich Rod, but that was no fault of Scelfos. I also knew that the punting on third down was a symptom of a coach that needed to be replaced. But Scelfo did a lot of good things at Tulane. He left and still is the second most winning coach in Tulane history (which may be more of a sign of our ineptitude than his coaching abilities.) He guided a rudderless ship through the misery of the Katrina season. And he's well respected by former players and colleagues as a man of integrity on and off the field.

He was assistant at Atlanta for 7 years. You don't keep a job like that for 7 years without doing some things right. I hear he could use a personal assistant. Anyone that posts here could learn a whole lot from Chris Scelfo.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote:I don't understand the need to repeatedly bash Scelfo. I would have preferred Rich Rod, but that was no fault of Scelfos. I also knew that the punting on third down was a symptom of a coach that needed to be replaced. But Scelfo did a lot of good things at Tulane. He left and still is the second most winning coach in Tulane history (which may be more of a sign of our ineptitude than his coaching abilities.) He guided a rudderless ship through the misery of the Katrina season. And he's well respected by former players and colleagues as a man of integrity on and off the field.

He was assistant at Atlanta for 7 years. You don't keep a job like that for 7 years without doing some things right. I hear he could use a personal assistant. Anyone that posts here could learn a whole lot from Chris Scelfo.
Plus he used more downs then the Eagles in '86... Arguably the worst drive in NFL history https://youtu.be/kO2ILLMWEKs
JerseyWave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:I don't understand the need to repeatedly bash Scelfo. I would have preferred Rich Rod, but that was no fault of Scelfos. I also knew that the punting on third down was a symptom of a coach that needed to be replaced. But Scelfo did a lot of good things at Tulane. He left and still is the second most winning coach in Tulane history (which may be more of a sign of our ineptitude than his coaching abilities.) He guided a rudderless ship through the misery of the Katrina season. And he's well respected by former players and colleagues as a man of integrity on and off the field.

100%.
I thought Scelfo had finally gotten his Head Coaching career on track after the surprising Hawaii Bowl victory only to be derailed by Cowen’s review. This did a lot of damage to morale and recruiting. Before the Athletic department could recover, it got pummeled by Katrina. Scelfo led Football through an unprecedentedly difficult period.
DrBox
Riptide

No different than bashing Conroy or Toledo or CJ. None of them hired themselves.
i guess you could argue that coaches like Conroy and Toledo were more experienced and should have known better than to hire weak staffs. But again, all made their own decisions.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:No different than bashing Conroy or Toledo or CJ. None of them hired themselves.
i guess you could argue that coaches like Conroy and Toledo were more experienced and should have known better than to hire weak staffs. But again, all made their own decisions.
It didn’t help that Tulane had a puny budget for assistants pay.
Tulane Class of 1981
swampnik
Surge

+ 1!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:No different than bashing Conroy or Toledo or CJ. None of them hired themselves.
The difference is Scelfo won a whole lot more games than Toledo or CJ and percentage wise, in conference (that matters) a whole lot more than Conroy. He obviously did something that rubbed you the wrong way. Perhaps he didn't recruit a kid you thought deserved an offer, or didn't play someone you thought should be played. But his record speaks for itself. He coached Tulane Football through not one, but TWO of the worst disasters Tulane Football has ever faced.

And not for nothing, but CJ hired better assistant coaches than himself. He was, and is, a VERY good and honorable man. But far from an HC at D1 or NFL or even FCS level coach. He's making a good living as an assistant, he should enjoy that.
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
The difference is Scelfo won a whole lot more games than Toledo or CJ and percentage wise, in conference (that matters) a whole lot more than Conroy.
He also came in after 12-0, not 3 wins (Toledo) or 2 wins (CJ). Of course he turned it into 3 wins in year 1.
greenphantom
Swell

DrBox wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
The difference is Scelfo won a whole lot more games than Toledo or CJ and percentage wise, in conference (that matters) a whole lot more than Conroy.
He also came in after 12-0, not 3 wins (Toledo) or 2 wins (CJ). Of course he turned it into 3 wins in year 1.
+1. Scelfo is a good assistant but like CJ, not head coach material. One bowl game in 8 years? That’s why he never got another head coaching job. The ‘99 team that went 3-8 should have been 8-3 with just average coaching.
sader24
Tsunami

The problem was always that his brother pulled backroom stuff to get him hired over Rodriguez so he is certainly at least somewhat culpable in that messy situation. He was building a solid program in 2002 and was completely derailed by Cowen and then finished off by Katrina. He had 2 winning seasons in his first 4. I didn’t think he was much of a coach but he recruited well and the 2002 team is still the best team we have had since 98. Taking the good with the bad, he was better than some and worse than some. Cowen sabotaged him for sure though.
Wave755
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:The problem was always that his brother pulled backroom stuff to get him hired over Rodriguez so he is certainly at least somewhat culpable in that messy situation. He was building a solid program in 2002 and was completely derailed by Cowen and then finished off by Katrina. He had 2 winning seasons in his first 4. I didn’t think he was much of a coach but he recruited well and the 2002 team is still the best team we have had since 98. Taking the good with the bad, he was better than some and worse than some. Cowen sabotaged him for sure though.
Scelfo was completely unqualified for the job when hired, he coached only the OL at Georgia. In time he and his brother Frank grew in their jobs and just when things were looking up following the outstanding performances of J.P. Losman and Mewelde Moore for the Hawaii Bowl victory, Cowen pulled his 2003 "review" stunt. Even after the calamity of 2003, with Lester Ricard at quarterback the Scelfo brothers still put on quite a few good shows at the Dome.

Cowen both created Scelfo, no one would have hired him over RR other than Cowen, and destroyed him.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
No doubt. He's also probably forgotten more about football and still knows more about the game than either of us. And he won games with his players, not just those of Teevens and Bowden. While I didn't expect them to go undefeated, the Katrina team was probably better than any team we fielded since '98. But the season was lost by the displacement caused by the hurricane.

Bash away at the man if you must, but he is a good man, with a whole lot of respect from NFL and college coaches alike. Which means a whole lot of people that know more about the game than ANY posters on this board think highly of Chris Scelfo.
greenphantom
Swell

A couple years ago I spoke to one of the key players from the 98 and 99 teams and he said the change from Bowden to Scelfo was night and day. Felt the ‘99 team should have competed for CUSA title.

I think people tend to overrate the team in ‘02. CUSA was weak and we laid down against any of the good teams on our schedule. The review was BS and impacted recruiting but I don’t think that had anything to do with the 5-7 record. In fact, it energized the team and fan base. We had a huge crowd in the 1st game vs TCU.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote:A couple years ago I spoke to one of the key players from the 98 and 99 teams and he said the change from Bowden to Scelfo was night and day. Felt the ‘99 team should have competed for CUSA title.

I think people tend to overrate the team in ‘02. CUSA was weak and we laid down against any of the good teams on our schedule. The review was BS and impacted recruiting but I don’t think that had anything to do with the 5-7 record. In fact, it energized the team and fan base. We had a huge crowd in the 1st game vs TCU.
I don't disagree that Scelfo wasn't in the same class as a coach as Bowden. I just don't understand the need to attack the man over a decade after he's gone. #2 in Tulane history for coaching wins deserves a little respect. Otherwise, IMHO, your sh!tting on the program.