Jason Rollins

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

If Frank Wilson can recruit Louisiana as well outside of LSU, then what purpose does Rollins serve? Are they trying to enact the "state of Tulane" model in San Antonio? Are any of the top Louisiana recruits going to choose UTSA over LSU or any of the numerous top Texas programs?

I thought I had heard that Rollins had turned down P5 interest previously. A guy who can really recruit Louisiana should always have some job security.

Unless Frank Wilson turns out to be a gem of a coach, I don't see how this was a smart move, and I agree that Wilson's profile significantly suggests something along the Larry Porter trajectory.

Jonathan
Riptide

I agree with you.
galvezwave
Swell

Frank scelfo is an interesting hire for them. I always liked Frank. Glad to see him working. Smart hire for Wilson, Imo.

What a test for Wilson. Osama bin Laden could have landed a top 5 class at lsu. So we'll see how good he really is.

Rollins thinks he's doing what's best his career and I can't fault that.

Fritz has turned the entire program on its ear, and thats a great thing. We are fine without coach Rollins
nawlinspete
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:Frank scelfo is an interesting hire for them. I always liked Frank. Glad to see him working. Smart hire for Wilson, Imo.

What a test for Wilson. Osama bin Laden could have landed a top 5 class at lsu. So we'll see how good he really is.

Rollins thinks he's doing what's best his career and I can't fault that.

Fritz has turned the entire program on its ear, and thats a great thing. We are fine without coach Rollins
Agree x four and let's hope Coach Fritz wins the contested recruiting battles in 13 days.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
puffy
Surge

I like Frank too. His offenses more often than not put up a bunch of points in the old CUSA.

With Wilson, Scelfo and Rollins, UTSA will be going after a lot of Louisiana kids. Wouldn't be surprised if they engaged in a recruiting battle or two from time to time with Tulane over an under the radar player.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote: If Frank Wilson can recruit Louisiana as well outside of LSU, then what purpose does Rollins serve? Are they trying to enact the "state of Tulane" model in San Antonio? Are any of the top Louisiana recruits going to choose UTSA over LSU or any of the numerous top Texas programs?
Wilson is the head coach. He needs a man on the ground. Of course they aren't going to get LSU recruits; they don't need them to win in C-USA.
State of Tulane worked fine for a couple of years...but the losing subsumed it. Would have continued to work fine in C-USA.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Stop the Madness...Rollins is gone...best of luck to him and his family in SA and at UTSA

kill this thread !!!...what a waste of prime space on the main board
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to Jason Rollins and UTSA for being bowl eligible in your first season.
That damn Frank Wilson.
Golfnut called it and should be proud!!!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Congrats to Jason Rollins and UTSA for being bowl eligible in your first season.
That damn Frank Wilson.
We would so kick their ass. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Congrats to Jason Rollins and UTSA for being bowl eligible in your first season.
That damn Frank Wilson.
Frank Scelfo as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
That damn Frank Wilson.
Frank Scelfo as well.
If we were going to hire a Scelfo back then it should have been him. Hope he doesn't talk to his brother Sam or eat anything from Gambino's.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:Rollins is an up and coming recruiter. Major schools are dropping major dollars on coaches who are essentially recruiting coordinators. Wilson was making just under $700K at LSU. I'm assuming that's what Rollins is trying to become next and building up connections in both South Louisiana and South/Central Texas is probably a good idea as is going to coach under a guy who is widely considered the best recruiter in the country. The move makes complete sense to me and is honestly a pretty smart one. He'll prob get 2 or 3 years under Wilson and then be in line for a job at an SEC/Big 12 school. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Wilson get UTSA a bowl game in year 1.
Good call there Sader!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to the former Wave assistant FB coach named IHC at Southern University
https://www.wbrz.com/news/southern-univ ... all-coach/
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:16 am Congrats to the former Wave assistant FB coach named IHC at Southern University
https://www.wbrz.com/news/southern-univ ... all-coach/
Good guy. Very deserving.
wave97
Swell

👍
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

all the best to J.R....since celebrity HC's, seem to be in vouge in the SWAC, Southern did not contact Snoop Dawg
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad to see him get it. It also would have been nice to LW get it. Best of luck to him.