Teddy Veal Gone

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
nawlinspete
Riptide

COChip has it 110% correct. Cannot blame Veal for wanting to maximize his receiving exposure at a place he KNOWS will pass early, late and often.

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
greenphantom
Swell

It's a tough loss and imo Veal is the biggest defection so far. Veal, Lee and Breaux all had potential but none had set the world on fire. We could have 20 more players transfer out and I'd still be happier with WF than another year with CJ.
ajcalhoun
Swell

greenphantom wrote: We could have 20 more players transfer out and I'd still be happier with WF than another year with CJ.

God Bless Everyone!
OGSB
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
greenphantom wrote: We could have 20 more players transfer out and I'd still be happier with WF than another year with CJ.

+1 more
Livin' rent free
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Some of you say that we may run something similar to what Houston runs? They're supposedly run centric.

Compare for 2015:

Teddy Veal (TU) -- 48 catches 644 yards 13.4/rec 5 TD's. No one else with more than 27 catches.

Demarcus Ayers (UH) -- 98 catches 1222 yards 12.5/rec 6 TDs
Chance Allen(UH) -- 56 catches 752 yards 13.4/rec 5 TDs.

So what's not to like about run centric? Chances are Veal would have more receptions for more yards than he did this season.

Or was he one of CJ's "favorites" and is afraid he won't get preferential treatment from Fritz?
Robert I don't believe anyone anywhere said we were gong to run Houston's offense. There has been talk of him running an offense more like the one he ran at Sam Houston. However I believe some think he has fallen in love w/the extremely run centric offense he has run the last two years at GSU where they passed it 8 times a game. That's what people are saying Veal wants no part of.

As for those criticizing Veal for a lack of wanting to compete the fact is he graduated early to get a jump on things at Tulane. No one has ever questioned his willingness to compete. He is clearly a player that wants to make it to the NFL and it makes sense that he doesn't think that will happen if the ball is thrown less than a dozen times a game. As I pointed out above he has a RS year and then two years of eligibility. The new offense isn't what he signed up for and he shouldn't be faulted for moving on. I wish him luck.
winwave, maybe I didn't explain it properly. My point is, Fritz made it clear from what he told Darius Bradwell when he was recruiting him to GSU that he wanted to throw the ball 25+ times a game if he had the right personnel. At SHSU they threw the ball roughly that amount of times. I'm sure CWF has told the team that as well. Veal surely didn't expect much more than that when he signed on at Tulane with CJ's "Pro style offense." We averaged 33 attempts this season, and a lot of that was due to being so far behind in games. So if, in spite of all the evidence that Fritz will NOT run an offense that passes only 8 times a game, Veal still believes that he will, then he's got comprehension issues and maybe doesn't belong in college in the first place.
Fritz did say at his PC he would run an offense more like his SHSU offense. I don't think he said that w/regards to Bradwell b/c he can't discuss recruits till they sign. Your mixing up two different stories. Fact is that in his junior and senior years he completed less than 50% of his passes . Then Lee left. Maybe he saw clear evidence that this offense would be more GSU like and w/good reason.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave, it wasn't something Fritz said, it was something Bradwell said. When Fritz recruited him to GSU he told Bradwell he was looking to pass 25+ times a game, if he had the right personnel. He wasn't looking to only pass 8 times a game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Robert I don't believe anyone anywhere said we were going to run Houston's offense. There has been talk of him running an offense more like the one he ran at Sam Houston. However I believe some think he has fallen in love w/the extremely run centric offense he has run the last two years at GSU where they passed it 8 times a game. That's what people are saying Veal wants no part of.
Also, just to keep facts straight, SHSU played 14 games the last season CWF was there (2013). 333 pass attempts. That's 24 passes a game, which once again confirms what I said about him wanting to pass 25 times a game. The man's been coaching 20 years. He's run the triple option the last two years. If you read some of the GSU boards, you'll see that offense is a tradition with them. Their fans want new coaches to keep running the same offense, even if its not what they've done in the past. Its their identity. That's the reason he ran it at GSU. There's been no indication whatsoever that he'll run that offense here.

And, as others have said, if he wins with it, I don't care what offense he runs.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

Watched Fox 8 Sports tonight. It was reported that with most of the staff coming from GSU and with Lee, Breaux and Veal leaving its expected that with the current personnel Tulane will run the GSU offense with 8-9 passes a game at least in year one.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Robert I don't believe anyone anywhere said we were going to run Houston's offense. There has been talk of him running an offense more like the one he ran at Sam Houston. However I believe some think he has fallen in love w/the extremely run centric offense he has run the last two years at GSU where they passed it 8 times a game. That's what people are saying Veal wants no part of.
Also, just to keep facts straight, SHSU played 14 games the last season CWF was there (2013). 333 pass attempts. That's 24 passes a game, which once again confirms what I said about him wanting to pass 25 times a game. The man's been coaching 20 years. He's run the triple option the last two years. If you read some of the GSU boards, you'll see that offense is a tradition with them. Their fans want new coaches to keep running the same offense, even if its not what they've done in the past. Its their identity. That's the reason he ran it at GSU. There's been no indication whatsoever that he'll run that offense here.

And, as others have said, if he wins with it, I don't care what offense he runs.
Robert I was the first one here right after his hire when people were freaking out about him possibly running the triple option to point out he said he would run an offense similar to the one at SHSU rather than the one he ran at GS. At this point based on what's transpired it is looking more like we will at least initially get the GS version instead of the SHSU one. Bradwell completed less than half his passes. So yes there is some indication that he will run the GS offense here. We will know a lot more after spring practice. That's why I am anxious to see it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

I had a hard time believing John Fourcade when he first came out with the Lee transferring comments. And he said in that same conversation that Tulane was going to run the triple option under Fritz that's why Lee was leaving. He also said he thought that it wouldn't be successful at a school like Tulane. If you go back in the Tanner Lee thread someone posted that podcast. I believe Veal may be the last high profile name to leave. He'll do great in that USM offense.
Jonathan
Riptide

Let us clear house of all CJ's losing recruits that brought us several three win seasons. Coach Fitz bring in your own players winners! Keep only Marley,Badie and one or two others.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

ajcalhoun wrote:

+1000
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

Robert I was the first one here right after his hire when people were freaking out about him possibly running the triple option to point out he said he would run an offense similar to the one at SHSU rather than the one he ran at GS. At this point based on what's transpired it is looking more like we will at least initially get the GS version instead of the SHSU one. Bradwell completed less than half his passes. So yes there is some indication that he will run the GS offense here. We will know a lot more after spring practice. That's why I am anxious to see it.
I think we need to wait and see what he brings in as far as WRs. As for Bradwell completing less than half of his passes, you're right. He was at 48.9% last year. Lee was 51.8%. Not a significant difference.
OGSB
Swell

Show Me wrote:Watched Fox 8 Sports tonight. It was reported that with most of the staff coming from GSU and with Lee, Breaux and Veal leaving its expected that with the current personnel Tulane will run the GSU offense with 8-9 passes a game at least in year one.
Just curious, but expected by who?
Livin' rent free
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OGSB wrote:
Show Me wrote:Watched Fox 8 Sports tonight. It was reported that with most of the staff coming from GSU and with Lee, Breaux and Veal leaving its expected that with the current personnel Tulane will run the GSU offense with 8-9 passes a game at least in year one.
Just curious, but expected by who?
who was the "reporter" that actually reported this ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wavemania
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

I think we need to wait and see what he brings in as far as WRs. As for Bradwell completing less than half of his passes, you're right. He was at 48.9% last year. Lee was 51.8%. Not a significant difference.
Lee was helped out by completing a few pick 6s. :lol:
Wavetime
Swell

I don't buy this. The press sure was right about Frank Wilson and Sean Payton eh?! The press don't care about Tulane and get their info from Twitter, with the exception of Ed Daniels, Guerry Smith and Scott Kushner. CWF said that he is not going to run the triple option and Tanner Lee said that when he spoke with CWF that he wasn't sure what offense he was going to run because he's going to fit the offense to the talent he has. He hasn't even had a practice yet.

Bottom line, based on CWF's history I think he will run the read option like he said. He will throw about 40% of the time with some Wildcat and Triple Option mixed in. It's going to be a fun ride, hop on board.
Jonathan
Riptide

Excited about Coach Fritz's new offense! Sick of stuck with no mobility or speed in the pocket throwing mega interceptions for the last few years.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Excited about Coach Fritz's new offense! Sick of stuck with no mobility or speed in the pocket throwing mega interceptions for the last few years.
Why do you "hide" when you post ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

While there are a hand full of players I would hope we don't lose, given the past two years, I won't shed a tear about any player choosing to leave. It's an entirely new world for Tulane football.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
swampnik
Surge

HoustonWave wrote:While there are a hand full of players I would hope we don't lose, given the past two years, I won't shed a tear about any player choosing to leave. It's an entirely new world for Tulane football.
I would take exception to losing Smart or Marley though.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
puffy
Surge

Well, I suppose the burden is on Fritz to show everyone that he will have a healthy dose of passing in his offense next season. I'm hoping Cuillette steps up and takes command of the offense in the spring, as he seems to be the best remaining passer of the (thus far) three qb options left currently at Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 9m9 minutes ago
Buccaneers announced former Southern Miss HC Todd Monken has been hired as team’s new offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach.
Sometimes the grass really ISN'T greener on the other side of the fence. So what is Teddy Veal thinking right about now.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 9m9 minutes ago
Buccaneers announced former Southern Miss HC Todd Monken has been hired as team’s new offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach.
Sometimes the grass really ISN'T greener on the other side of the fence. So what is Teddy Veal thinking right about now.
I heard they are looking for a coach that can run the triple option. Lol
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

A blind man could see the Todd Monken wasn't going to be at USM after next November. So what was it that motivated Teddy to sit out a year so that he could play for an unknown staff in Hattiesburg. I don't think the scheme scared him off... Tanner yes, Teddy no.