Scott Cowen 5th highest paid President in America

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
anEngineer
Riptide

There is no doubt that not having a real engineering dept negatively affects recruiting in all sports. That was an absolutely criminal decision, especially after Katrina. In a city that needed to be totally rebuilt, engineering was dropped.

ccap05
Surge

I hope/assume that Fitts is looking at the errors made by SC (engineering/computer programing/etc.) and is putting together a game plan for how to move forward in a way that benefits the University. Engineering seems to be especially important if we are to have a credible, first rate educational institution. I hope to hear soon from Fitts regarding what his vision is for Tulane after having now spent some time here.
GreenLantern
Riptide

ccap05 wrote:I hope/assume that Fitts is looking at the errors made by SC (engineering/computer programing/etc.) and is putting together a game plan for how to move forward in a way that benefits the University. Engineering seems to be especially important if we are to have a credible, first rate educational institution. I hope to hear soon from Fitts regarding what his vision is for Tulane after having now spent some time here.
Mr. Cohen was quite the visionary. President Obama is announcing a new initiative, "Computer Science for All" (#CSforAll):
The President's bold new proposal will empower students from kindergarten through high school to learn computer science, equipping them with the analytical skills they need to be creators in the digital economy, not just consumers, and to apply their passion and enthusiasm to solving problems using technology.
By 2018, 51% of all science, tech, engineering and math jobs are projected to be in computer science related fields. Mr. Cohen did not exactly position Tulane to participate in this revolutionary growth spurt. It doesn't appear that he did much for athletics either. Let's name a street after him. Oh wait...we already did!
ccap05
Surge

GreenLantern wrote:
ccap05 wrote:I hope/assume that Fitts is looking at the errors made by SC (engineering/computer programing/etc.) and is putting together a game plan for how to move forward in a way that benefits the University. Engineering seems to be especially important if we are to have a credible, first rate educational institution. I hope to hear soon from Fitts regarding what his vision is for Tulane after having now spent some time here.
Mr. Cohen was quite the visionary. President Obama is announcing a new initiative, "Computer Science for All" (#CSforAll):
The President's bold new proposal will empower students from kindergarten through high school to learn computer science, equipping them with the analytical skills they need to be creators in the digital economy, not just consumers, and to apply their passion and enthusiasm to solving problems using technology.
By 2018, 51% of all science, tech, engineering and math jobs are projected to be in computer science related fields. Mr. Cohen did not exactly position Tulane to participate in this revolutionary growth spurt. It doesn't appear that he did much for athletics either. Let's name a street after him. Oh wait...we already did!
I assume you are talking about Mr. Cowen and not Mr. Cohen.

I agree that the decision's relating to engineering/computer science were, to say the least, not visionary. I also agree that Scott Cowen's policy vis a vis athletics at Tulane were not a success. However, Cowen (and RickDick) is/are gone. At this point we have a new administration which seems to be doing things in a new (and much better) way. It is my firm belief that all attention should be on the future and Cowen (along with RD) should be allowed to quickly fade into the haze of history. I know that these guys are still getting paychecks from Tulane but that is a reality which is simply not going to change. What may change is the emphasis that Tulane puts on engineering and technology and the manner in which the athletic department is run in the future.
GreenLantern
Riptide

ccap05 wrote: assume you are talking about Mr. Cowen and not Mr. Cohen.
You are correct...my bad. I made this typo once before and BigSchtick was grievously troubled by it. He responded by accusing me of making some sort of innuendo. Not true.

Concerning the 'time to move on' advice, I'm struggling with this. As long as Mr. Cowen continues to receive 6-7 figure payroll amounts from my alma mater, until such time that Tulane fully recovers from the damage he caused, and until many in the Tulane community decide to remove him from the list of candidates for sainthood...well, I reserve the right to be embittered. If you feel that I'm a flawed individual to hold onto the past or perhaps you have fonder memories of Mr. Cowen, you have every right to do so and you can always choose to put me on the forum's ignore list.

As Benjamin Franklin was quoted, " a wise man doesn't need advice and a fool won't take it". You'll have to decide for yourself into which group I belong as I am loathe to take your advice and allow the scoundrel to "fade into the haze of history". I take seriously this thing about "those who are unaware of history are destined to repeat it."
ccap05
Surge

GreenLantern wrote:
You are correct...my bad. I made this typo once before and BigSchtick was grievously troubled by it. He responded by accusing me of making some sort of innuendo. Not true.

Concerning the 'time to move on' advice, I'm struggling with this. As long as Mr. Cowen continues to receive 6-7 figure payroll amounts from my alma mater, until such time that Tulane fully recovers from the damage he caused, and until many in the Tulane community decide to remove him from the list of candidates for sainthood...well, I reserve the right to be embittered. If you feel that I'm a flawed individual to hold onto the past or perhaps you have fonder memories of Mr. Cowen, you have every right to do so and you can always choose to put me on the forum's ignore list.

As Benjamin Franklin was quoted, " a wise man doesn't need advice and a fool won't take it". You'll have to decide for yourself into which group I belong as I am loathe to take your advice and allow the scoundrel to "fade into the haze of history". I take seriously this thing about "those who are unaware of history are destined to repeat it."
I agree with you that Cowen was a disaster for Tulane in general and Cowen/Rick Dick were a tag team disaster for Tulane athletics. I also do not believe that Cowen deserves a continued salary from Tulane. However, I accept that he will continue to receive the salary and nothing realistic can be done about it. Except for the money, he (and RD) have already been effectively marginalized and their successors seem to be moving in positive directions. I don't know you and certainly am not accusing you of being a flawed individual- I am just saying that what little energy the Tulane fan base has is better directed at shaping the future than obsessing about the past. I am more interested in the amazingly small chance of one day having a soccer or softball program than I am about rehashing the Cowen RD days.

Roll Wave.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:

Correct. Cowen is not only still on the payroll but we have Fitts/Dannen spending their time cleaning up his mess rather than capitalizing on the progress that competent people would have made over the past 15 years.

It's entirely appropriate to celebrate the end of that nightmare, but it's not appropriate or useful to pretend that it didn't happen or that it's not still a problem.